HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It was a rainy day in pizzaville....

Old
08-24-2012, 07:41 AM
namttebih

vCash: 500
Born and raised.

Wendel effing Clark

namttebih is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:09 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I remember being more of a Toronto Blue Jays fan as a young kid during the ALCS and World Series runs and needed something else to watch in the winters which the Leafs filled. One of the biggest reasons why I got really into it was this:

Felix Potvin and his gear...
I have I think 5 Potvin rookie cards, 2 Potvin Beckett's (one autographed) and a McDonald's plastic Potvin helmet. I also have a book of other Potvin cards.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:22 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMapleJays View Post
Why did you become a leaf fan? Who is your all time favorite player? Explain.

I honestly was a Oilers fan when I was a kid (im 28 now) I was a fan of the Great one, but really loved Mark Messier. My all time favorite (even more then you Stevie Y) And when I moved to a new school and started grade 1, All the kids were huge leaf fans, and me wanting to fit in, asked for a brand new Maple Leaf STARTER PULL OVER JACKET,

We have been happiley involved ever since.
http://stormyjim.blogspot.ca/2006/04...lier-this.html

Quote:
No mention of Canada or Canadian TV is complete without bringing up the sport of hockey, and over the years Hockey Night In Canada has been a godsend. It's hard to believe in this era where virtually every pro and college sports event is televised, but 40 years ago the only time we got to see the Red Wings play were those rare Saturday nights when they visited Toronto to play the Maple Leafs! And you didn't even get to see all of the game - they would join it in progress at the end of the 1st period! The Stanley Cup playoffs were a real treat because then they showed you THE WHOLE GAME! Bill Hewitt did the play-by-play and after the game his dad Foster would come over from the radio booth to announce the 3 stars of the game. He almost always picked a Toronto player as the number one star, even when they lost the game! I still get goosebumps whenever I hear the Hockey Night In Canada theme song, and if I heard it now during the NHL lockout I'd probably shed a tear.
Something like this ...

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:37 AM
18leafsfan18

Brainwashed by the uncles at an early age. Been a huge fan since

18leafsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:40 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

leafs are a cult in my family,wendel clark is da man!

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:01 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Always had the Leafs on as a kid in the 80's, as all the kids did in my 'hood. But I wasn't a rabid fan like now until me and my girlfriend(wife now) started watching in the Pat Quinn era. Now we don't miss a game. Plans be damned. Our friends always say; "we'll put the game on, we all want to watch" but we prefer to watch just the two of us. Well now 3.

My 4 y/o is now into superheros and when he asked me who my favourite hero was as a kid, I told him Wendel Clark.

I always loved Sundin, Roberts, Gilmour and I suppose Phaneuf is my current favourite, but it's nothing like it used to be. I still don't miss a game if I can help it, but I don't love a leaf like I did then. I think it's obvious why.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Peasy
Lace Up

vCash: 1480
Was born in Toronto. It's funny because my dad is a habs fan, but I've always chosen the leafs.

Peasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:52 AM
LeafsFIO

Had childhood leukemia and all I did in my hospital bed was watch VCR tapes my parents had made of Leaf games. Was too young/on too many meds to remember how I felt at the time, but I can tell people specific details from some of the Leaf games I watched in that hospital room! Occasionally got visits from Senators players, so I liked their players but never their team. Their owners at the time also refused to allow Sens games on TV because of their poor attendance at the time.

I could never jump ship and even if I did, it'd never be to the Senators. If I grew up a Sens fan, I'd be embarassed. Their entire identity now is basically, "we're not the Leafs", and I don't see how anybody could be proud of that.

Favourites growing up, Gilmour and Tucker, hard not to love. Still have their jerseys, although way too small on me, to this day.

LeafsFIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFIO View Post
Had childhood leukemia and all I did in my hospital bed was watch VCR tapes my parents had made of Leaf games. Was too young/on too many meds to remember how I felt at the time, but I can tell people specific details from some of the Leaf games I watched in that hospital room! Occasionally got visits from Senators players, so I liked their players but never their team. Their owners at the time also refused to allow Sens games on TV because of their poor attendance at the time.

I could never jump ship and even if I did, it'd never be to the Senators. If I grew up a Sens fan, I'd be embarassed. Their entire identity now is basically, "we're not the Leafs", and I don't see how anybody could be proud of that.

Favourites growing up, Gilmour and Tucker, hard not to love. Still have their jerseys, although way too small on me, to this day.
That's one of the better stories in this thread. Glad you're still with us.

08-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... I grew up in Toronto during the 60's when we were winning multiple cup's, the honor & glory of the Leafs still running on the fumes of Conn Smythes mechanizations & machinery, though he'd pretty much left the scene by the time I became "aware" of the game, the team itself, handed everything over to his eldest son Stafford & Harold Ballard.

Cant say I really had a single favourite player from that era (when I was a kid, I didnt have a favorite player, I embraced the entire team, they were all my favorites) or through the decades that followed, but certainly a few of them absolutely do stand out; Bower, Horton, Stanley, Baun, Armstrong, Mahovolich, Sawchuk in 67, Mike Walton, Henderson, Sittler, Palmateer, Williams, Vaive, Wregget & Bester, Clark, Gilmour, Joseph & Potvin, Sundin etc etc etc.

Of the lot however, at least during my lifetime & over the past 50yrs, my favorite of All Time would be Dave Keon. Just an incredible two way player. An absolute Professor out there. Total Class Act. His departure to the WHA following an acrimonious re-negotiation & trade request (Islanders) at the hands of Ballard was a seminal moment for the franchise, followed by several thereafter, including the MacDonald trade, Sittlers removal of the 'C' from his jersey, the forgettable 80's.

Though I havent' lived in Toronto for quite some time, I still consider myself a Torontonian, and very proud to do so. Its a fabulous city, and Ive visited and or lived in many all over the world so that worth something, says a lot actually. The Leafs to me are a very personal touchstone to my past, the city of my youth, when everything & anything was possible and we were the toast of the league. Once those loyalties are formed at a formative age, there with you for life. To me, its a combination of both pride of place, where Im from, the city itself & the team/franchise. And though its been a rocky 45 years, the off-ice entertainment, the business side of the Leafs has been nothing short of superb. Im not complaining, getting my moneys worth actually.

As the legendary Bluesman Albert King bemoans in his Born Under A Bad Sign (and copied numerous times by everyone who's anyone) says, "If it wasnt for bad luck, I wouldnt have no luck at all". Nothin cooler than an old Black Man with a Guitar. Straighten you right out. The teams support that has done nothing but grow exponentially over the years is just a wonder really. A testament to the intrinsic goodness of heart, the empathy, charity, intelligence, humour & class that is innate to most Torontonians, a deep and abiding love for the game, the Leafs. We laugh when everyone else crys', and why the Hell not? Whats the point in getting all depressed about it. Cant go on forever, and it wont, you just watch us.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Ruki

I never really got into hockey until about 2007-2008, but whenever I watched a game for that I'd cheer for the Leafs because, well, I was born in Toronto. Plus, it was kinda fun to piss off the Oiler fans (I was living in Edmonton at the time).

And now that I've actually started paying attention/watching games, I can't not cheer for the Leafs. The thought of cheering for another team sickens me (well, not really, but you get the point). Favorite players...Darcy Tucker (really hope Ross turns into another Tucker), Luke Schenn (he was drafted around the time I started to pay attention/care), and Phil Kessel.

Ruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:58 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

My dad was a fan, I always watched them, but I was never a die hard. About a two years ago when we were on that playoff run with Reimer I went to a Buffalo game, we lost, but that's when I became a die hard.

Joined this site this year and became even more of a die hard.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:19 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Always a fan of the local team. My Grandfather (RIP) would have me watch the game with him.

I suppose I could have been a Sabres fan too since he always watched their games on WGRZ with Ed Kilgore calling the games. Aah memories.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:22 PM
RonTextall

Send a message via Skype™ to RonTextall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Born into it. Dad was a Leafs fan so that's who I cheered for.
Ditto. Also, my uncle was a Leaf fan, and sent me my first Leaf jersey from the Yukon when I was 7 or 8.

RonTextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:47 PM
DionPhaneuf3

Grew up in Toronto. All 8 of my aunts their husbands, and my cousins lived in one house and we would always watch leafs games together. Pretty much a tradition in our family

Favorite players, Mats Sundin, Doug Gilmour , Alexander Mogilny

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Federko

I became a fan of the Leafs by grade 1 around 1985/86. Rick Vaive's 50 goal performances made me fall in love with the team's captain. I also loved watching guys like Russ Courtnall, Al Iafrate (so exciting), Wendel Clark & THE KID LINE (who can forget Clark/Leeman/Thomas..yes stumpy's first run with the leafs), Brad "Motor City Smitty" Smith, Ken Wregget (see my post from last week - who is your most underrated Leafs goaltender of all-time)....As much as people say the 80s were dismal for the Leafs we had some amazing playoff runs... one year we were almost final 4 with a 3 - 1 series lead against the Red Wings only to loose the next 3 in a row. I cried.

Another low point is when the Leafs traded Vaive and Thomas for Olczyk and Secord. I met Eddie "O" at Square One Mall in the very late 80s and he was a total ****ing ****** bag... I was so glade when the Olczyk/Osbourne era was over. That was depressing..haha

That said, I also really enjoyed the Norris Division rivalries with the Blues, North Stars, Blackhawks and Red Wings - and I really do miss those days. Probert vs. Clark... Dirk Graham vs Dave Semenko....Luke Richardson taking a hockey stick to the head from Dino Ciccarelli...just the most scrappiest games/bench clearing brawls I had ever seen at that point in my life... I remember guys jumping off the bench to jump into a fight back then see: Dave Manson.. if things were going bad for the Leafs - all hell would break out on the ice... John Brophy our coach was crazy...

All things that would excite any young lad getting into hockey at an early age...

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 06:19 PM
contour

Sundin.

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Always had the Leafs on as a kid in the 80's, as all the kids did in my 'hood. But I wasn't a rabid fan like now until me and my girlfriend(wife now) started watching in the Pat Quinn era. Now we don't miss a game. Plans be damned. Our friends always say; "we'll put the game on, we all want to watch" but we prefer to watch just the two of us. Well now 3.

My 4 y/o is now into superheros and when he asked me who my favourite hero was as a kid, I told him Wendel Clark.

I always loved Sundin, Roberts, Gilmour and I suppose Phaneuf is my current favourite, but it's nothing like it used to be. I still don't miss a game if I can help it, but I don't love a leaf like I did then. I think it's obvious why.
YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Team First

I was born this way

Early Favourites: Ullman, Keon
Later: Salming then Wendel
Later still: Gilmour Sundin Roberts

Alltime: Borje and Wendel

Last edited by Team First: 08-24-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Team First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

grandfather was a big hockey fan and we often talked/watched hockey together. the last thing he and I talked about were the Leafs the night before he died. that was in 77

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:28 AM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
i was born one
This. Clark is god

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:50 AM
noBSleafsFAN

My family never really watched any sport other than baseball, so I wasn't really interested in hockey until i was 7, I started watching HNIC and since I was greatly exposed to the Leafs, I guess thats how I became a Leafs fan. I live in Barrie so I get to go to a few Leaf games every couple seasons.

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Bionda
Packers: 11-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steams12 View Post
I became a fan of the Leafs by grade 1 around 1985/86. Rick Vaive's 50 goal performances made me fall in love with the team's captain. I also loved watching guys like Russ Courtnall, Al Iafrate (so exciting), Wendel Clark & THE KID LINE (who can forget Clark/Leeman/Thomas..yes stumpy's first run with the leafs), Brad "Motor City Smitty" Smith, Ken Wregget (see my post from last week - who is your most underrated Leafs goaltender of all-time)....As much as people say the 80s were dismal for the Leafs we had some amazing playoff runs... one year we were almost final 4 with a 3 - 1 series lead against the Red Wings only to loose the next 3 in a row. I cried.

Another low point is when the Leafs traded Vaive and Thomas for Olczyk and Secord. I met Eddie "O" at Square One Mall in the very late 80s and he was a total ****ing ****** bag... I was so glade when the Olczyk/Osbourne era was over. That was depressing..haha

That said, I also really enjoyed the Norris Division rivalries with the Blues, North Stars, Blackhawks and Red Wings - and I really do miss those days. Probert vs. Clark... Dirk Graham vs Dave Semenko....Luke Richardson taking a hockey stick to the head from Dino Ciccarelli...just the most scrappiest games/bench clearing brawls I had ever seen at that point in my life... I remember guys jumping off the bench to jump into a fight back then see: Dave Manson.. if things were going bad for the Leafs - all hell would break out on the ice... John Brophy our coach was crazy...

All things that would excite any young lad getting into hockey at an early age...
If you don't mind me asking Steams, what made Eddie Olczyk such a tool?

I was born in Toronto, needless to say this team is in my blood, I was born a fan. I grew up in the late 90's so my favourite players were Sundin, Berezin, Thomas, Yuskevich and Cujo.

Bionda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:27 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

For 95% of the people here, it's due to location.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:49 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
For 95% of the people here, it's due to location.
You could probably say that for the vast majority of pro sports team fans.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote