HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

NHL to redistribute talent

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2005, 12:43 PM
richardn

vCash: 500
[If Bettman ever gets his plan through, I think for his own saftey he should see if he can sub-let a Cave from Bin Laden in Afganistan..[/QUOTE]

:lol :lol :lol

Old
01-22-2005, 12:44 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Sorry Skittles .. that is not correct ..

I have checked with the judges and they can't accept that answer ... The only thing that kept coming into my head was SLUGGO ..

So I decided to insert the word GENIUS instead ..

but lets forget all that nonsense and get this thread back on track ..

What do you think of Bettman's plan for PARITY IN THE NHL ??

Think this types of moves will make the NHL a better and more enjoyable game to watch for fans across North America .. ??
Bettman's a idiot. He's not the kind thats born every minute, but one that comes around once in a lifetime.

I'd much rather have a fantasy draft, teams keeping 3 pro roster players from last season. Then everyone else will get drafted. Teams earning the most picking first in order to reward them.

Old
01-22-2005, 12:47 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
Bettman's a idiot. He's not the kind thats born every minute, but one that comes around once in a lifetime.

I'd much rather have a fantasy draft, teams keeping 3 pro roster players from last season. Then everyone else will get drafted. Teams earning the most picking first in order to reward them.
If they have a fantasy draft I would love to be a real estate agent moving all these players into new homes. The league would have to buy out all players existing contracts first to do this.

Old
01-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Yes this is what I belive the Leafs lineup could look like. I am simply showing what would happen if the Leafs had a 30 Mil cap and was forced to comply in the first year. I personally don't see the NHLPA signing to a 30 mil cap let alone any hard cap for that matter.
I agree ..but only one small problem.

----- BETTMAN -----

With Bettman its impossible , without him its business as usual absolutely ..

but since the majority of the owners support him as Ulf points out .. I see no way to have him fired in the near future ..

He gets paid his millions lockout or not ... perhaps the lockout should include his Salary as well, that might in fact move the proceedings along a little quicker ..

Old
01-22-2005, 12:48 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
This is very unclear. Are you talking as if this season will be wiped out?

Because if that's the case, Leetch, Nieuwendyk, Roberts and Mogilny will be UFAs. And we wouldn't have a $60 million payroll.
However, remember the Leafs are not the only one with contracts expiring.

But the Leafs contracts that don't expire included: (approximate contract $)

Sundin 9
Belfour 8
McCabe 4
Kaberle 3.5
Nolan 7
Klee 2.5

So they'll be saddled with 34 minus 24% = 26 million towards their hard cap.

Six players making 74% of their salary cap to start next year.

You need 22 players, so 9 million divided by 16 = 5.6.

So now you have to fill out your roster with players making 560k.

Only option is to go the redistribution route. That is where the new line up comes from.

They have to lose one of: Nolan, Sundin, Belfour to have any chance of icing a decent line up. If you are another team, will you take Nolan with his bad back? Nope. So that mean you are going to lose Sundin or Belfour. Sundin's long term deal is going to scare teams away, so you take Belfour with his one year plus an option.

Now the Leafs need 17 player with cap room of 17 million.

That is more manageable, you can bring in your prospects who were first rounders making the max like Carlo, and bring in some more youth to fill out the roster, and then maybe grab a couple players at the 2 million dollar range.

Meanwhile back at the small markets, teams will have like 20-25 million dollars in cap room. Where are the better UFA's going to go, to Toronto for 2 million, or to Minnesota for 5?

Old
01-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

You know that plan is not even half bad when you really think about it ...

Sure would be exciting to have and pick from the best players in the league ..

Ulf calls it his BLOW IT UP plan ... and I say I like it ...

It makes more sense and would make everyone happy ..

Why should they just balance out the overpaid vets?? ... lets put the young players and recent draft picks in the same pot and let all 30 teams pick if Bettman wants to have "Team Building exercises" ..

I'm in you got my vote Skittles .. Draw up the petition lets sign it ..

Old
01-22-2005, 12:54 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
If they have a fantasy draft I would love to be a real estate agent moving all these players into new homes. The league would have to buy out all players existing contracts first to do this.
Throw into the CBA, a real estate agent.

Old
01-22-2005, 12:57 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55

Sundin 9
Belfour 8
McCabe 4
Kaberle 3.5
Nolan 7
Klee 2.5

Only option is to go the redistribution route. That is where the new line up comes from.

They have to lose one of: Nolan, Sundin, Belfour to have any chance of icing a decent line up. If you are another team, will you take Nolan with his bad back? Nope. So that mean you are going to lose Sundin or Belfour. Sundin's long term deal is going to scare teams away, so you take Belfour with his one year plus an option.

Now the Leafs need 17 player with cap room of 17 million.

That is more manageable, you can bring in your prospects who were first rounders making the max like Carlo, and bring in some more youth to fill out the roster, and then maybe grab a couple players at the 2 million dollar range.

Meanwhile back at the small markets, teams will have like 20-25 million dollars in cap room. Where are the better UFA's going to go, to Toronto for 2 million, or to Minnesota for 5?
I think for sure a 30 mil cap would leave Belfour and Leetch off the team for sure. Then the Leafs would still have to part ways with Nolan. Either way they would still be screwed by not being able to go out and replace these guys. Lindros and his low budget salary would start to look pretty promising though I must admit. I bet Mogiliny, Roberts and Joe N. would consider a pay cut to stay on the team or just retire.

Old
01-22-2005, 12:59 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Why should they just balance out the overpaid vets?? ... lets put the young players and recent draft picks in the same pot and let all 30 teams pick if Bettman wants to have "Team Building exercises" ..

I'm in you got my vote Skittles .. Draw up the petition lets sign it ..
YAy,

but recent draft picks may not be fair. Say a team drafted a good player in the later rounds and are developing them. They should keep them because they invested in taht player. But if they were drafted and played in the NHL last season then throw them in the draft. That would give the poor teams guys that are cheap and affordable yet good avail for them . And us guys like Zherdev/ Staal/ Horton would be avail to us (young guys that we could use).

Old
01-22-2005, 01:00 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't think they would have to buy out any player.

They'd just refuse to honour any contract, which is their intent anyway.

People wanted to force Yashin to honour his contract in Ottawa, but those same people want to let the owners out of any obligation to the players. Not a big deal they're just hypocrites.

One option could be to use the war chest to buy out as many as they could, or just keep the players locked out until they agree to tear up the contracts, or the contracts just expire without ever returning to the ice.

How many long term deals are out there like Yashin's, Sundin's, or Jagr's? Not that many, so in a year or two they could use league money to buy them out.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:07 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

People wanted to force Yashin to honour his contract in Ottawa, but those same people want to let the owners out of any obligation to the players. Not a big deal they're just hypocrites.
Who are these "people"? The league hasn't said anything like this.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:08 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:

One option could be to use the war chest to buy out as many as they could, or just keep the players locked out until they agree to tear up the contracts, or the contracts just expire without ever returning to the ice.

How many long term deals are out there like Yashin's, Sundin's, or Jagr's? Not that many, so in a year or two they could use league money to buy them out.
No need to buy em out.

Go fantasy draft, players agree on new salary with their new team. Current contracts shredded. And we get hockey next season. As well as a newer system. Also this way we can have a salary cap, without screwing up the teams. Cap at 50 million, to make players happy.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

Sundin 9
Belfour 8
McCabe 4
Kaberle 3.5
Nolan 7
Klee 2.5

So now you have to fill out your roster with players making 560k.?
and you forgot Tucker as he just signed a 3 year deal and even the kids Carlo and Stajan are still on their rookie contracts but signed on at old CBA rookie max of 1.2 mil ..

Factor in just those 3 players and you are down to about $$$ 200K Canadian for each of the reamining 13 players .. getting pretty close to what my Paper boy gets for delivering my newspaper daily ...

Now I guarantee you ANY EURO league in the world will pay more then that total for players ..

Suit up old friend it looks like you and me are "MAKING THE CUT " ... or better put ... I looks like the NHL plans on using "Replacement Players" even after Bettman gets his new CBA deal ..

Old
01-22-2005, 01:10 PM
richardn

Quote:

Players who sighned long term contracts would never agree to this. They are legel contracts which would have to be bought out unless the players agreed to this. How many players in the NHL want to eat their contracts and move their families to new city's. It is a great idea this fantasy draft but I don't think the players would ever in a million years agree to it let alone a saraly cap.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:18 PM
richardn

This is an idea. Have a 33 percent roll back for all existing contracts and have all free agent contracts aproved on by all 30 teams. This would guarantee new contracts to be in respect to league revenues. So their would be no bidding wars on UFA's. I think players would then get fair salaries depending on the state of the league economy at the time. You would see better balanced teams in a few years with more players staying on their respective teams.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:21 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
and you forgot Tucker as he just signed a 3 year deal and even the kids Carlo and Stajan are still on their rookie contracts but signed on at old CBA rookie max of 1.2 mil ..

Factor in just those 3 players and you are down to about $$$ 200K Canadian for each of the reamining 13 players .. getting pretty close to what my Paper boy gets for delivering my newspaper daily ...

Now I guarantee you ANY EURO league in the world will pay more then that total for players ..

Suit up old friend it looks like you and me are "MAKING THE CUT " ... or better put ... I looks like the NHL plans on using "Replacement Players" even after Bettman gets his new CBA deal ..
Im a paperboy, I only get a buck per house per month. 200,000 houses seems like a lot.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Players who sighned long term contracts would never agree to this. They are legel contracts which would have to be bought out unless the players agreed to this. How many players in the NHL want to eat their contracts and move their families to new city's. It is a great idea this fantasy draft but I don't think the players would ever in a million years agree to it let alone a saraly cap.
While I agree you are right in principle ...

How do you see an end to this Labour dispute then and ever invision professional hockey again if the Players will not agree to it and the owners will settle for nothing less than a modified version of this ??

Old
01-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:

Sundin 9
Belfour 8
McCabe 4
Kaberle 3.5
Nolan 7
Klee 2.5

To be exact, the Leafs have $35,614,000 committed for next year.

Quote:

No, the new lineup I originally quoted was for 05-06, but featured guys like Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Mogilny and Leetch.

Plus the poster was working off a $60 million payroll for 05-06 which obviously doesn't work.

Quote:
This is my problem though. This is very vague.

You say no team would want Nolan. Well how exactly is the redistribution going to work? Are you trying to say that teams are going to be able to pick whichever players they want off our roster?

Quote:
Now the Leafs need 17 player with cap room of 17 million. That is more manageable, you can bring in your prospects who were first rounders making the max like Carlo, and bring in some more youth to fill out the roster, and then maybe grab a couple players at the 2 million dollar range.

I guess Phoenix is going to lose out big-time in this re-distribution too.

Phoenix has $37,375,000 commited for next year. Only two teams have more commited than Phoenix. Philadelphia ($44,451,000) and Detroit ($50,255,000).

Maybe Columbus is in danger of losing Rick Nash. At $25,111,000 already commited for next year only 9 teams have commited more.

Even "small market" Ottawa will be in similar shape to the Leafs. They have $31,085,000 already commited for next year.

Old
01-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Im a paperboy, I only get a buck per house per month. 200,000 houses seems like a lot.
Well lets work this out ..

200,000 K /12 months = 16,666 papers per month ..

16,666 papers/month divided by 30 days in a month = 555 papers a day ..

Now you get your younger brother or best friend to help you and promise to buy him and brand new Shinny Bike each year out of your 200 k a year money

SO that makes

555 papers a day / you and your (brother / friend ) and 277 papers each per day ..

Now surely as the papers best delivery boy you can ask for a route that has lots of High Rise heavily populated builings or appartment blocks that house hundreds of people that all you have to do is push the elevator button to make mass deliveries at a time .. Its all about location location location as they say

See not so far fetched after all .. How many papers do you deliver right now per day ??

Think of the possibilities is you had lots of brothers and sisters to put into slave labour .. You could be your own little Donald Trump in no time at all ..

Old
01-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Phoenix has $37,375,000 commited for next year. Only two teams have more commited than Phoenix. Philadelphia ($44,451,000) and Detroit ($50,255,000).

Maybe Columbus is in danger of losing Rick Nash. At $25,111,000 already commited for next year only 9 teams have commited more.

Even "small market" Ottawa will be in similar shape to the Leafs. They have $31,085,000 already commited for next year.
Just so I an clear Leaf Army .. These are raw figures based on NO ROLLBACK applied ..

Correct ..or are the 24% player suggested rollback figures ..??

Also since you have done the leg work .. we would have to define if the lockout ended this year or next .. as that makes a big difference in the dispersal of which players .. You can't disperse a player like say Leetch next season only this one .. and more confusing is that this year is 1/2 completed .. how do you apply a hard cap against that amount ..Simply 1/2 the Cap figure or use some $$ /game formula ..

Then I am also interested on Bettman plans this to work as you question .. Thinking clearly the team will expose players of its choice and not the league's choice .. but still a current 1 year contract like say Leetch of a league starting up next week has many complications today as that same player that puts a team over a cap today would not at the beginning of next season ..

Also lets take a player like Yashin certain to be exposed ..How could you force that long tern contract on anyone?? .. The team receiving him would say to Bettman .. I would rather sign Palffy or Demitra or any other UFA currently to contract terms of our liking rather then take on a long term contract of a disinterested player like Yashin .. What if Yashin goes unselected in a dispersal draft .. Clearly he does not fit back on the NYI if they exposed him in the first place for Salary Cap reasons ..and on any other team either since the dipersal draft is intended to balance them all at he same time ...The league just buys out his remaining 8 years and tells him he is a UFA and he returns to Russia and very wealthy man ..

Is that how the league plans on getting out of bad GM contracts of players like that and Jagr etc..???

What wil keep UFA spending down if the league is forcing all teams to a min 32 max 35 cap system .. Teams will have to overpay for UFA to get up to that amount if they are currently young and have lots of inexpensive contracts like Atlanta and Florida for example ..

Last edited by Mess: 01-22-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old
01-22-2005, 02:17 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Well lets work this out ..

200,000 K /12 months = 16,666 papers per month ..

16,666 papers/month divided by 30 days in a month = 555 papers a day ..

Now you get your younger brother or best friend to help you and promise to buy him and brand new Shinny Bike each year out of your 200 k a year money

SO that makes

555 papers a day / you and your (brother / friend ) and 277 papers each per day ..

Now surely as the papers best delivery boy you can ask for a route that has lots of High Rise heavily populated builings or appartment blocks that house hundreds of people that all you have to do is push the elevator button to make mass deliveries at a time .. Its all about location location location as they say

See not so far fetched after all .. How many papers do you deliver right now per day ??

Think of the possibilities is you had lots of brothers and sisters to put into slave labour .. You could be your own little Donald Trump in no time at all ..
OMG, thats a lotta money. I do almost 200 townhomes. (20mins max) and about 50 in a ritzy neighbourhood. (my mom does them, 30 mins+)

The thing is getting 500 townhomes in your area is hard. But the Mirror gives the job to primarly kids and long time employees. EG me.

Old
01-22-2005, 02:46 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Who are these "people"? The league hasn't said anything like this.
Then why are they locked out? So they don't have to honour the contracts. Action speaks louder than words.

Old
01-22-2005, 03:07 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Then why are they locked out? So they don't have to honour the contracts. Action speaks louder than words.
Honouring contracts is governed by the CBA. There is no CBA. That there isn't one can't be blamed exclusively on the owners.

Old
01-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Just so I an clear Leaf Army .. These are raw figures based on NO ROLLBACK applied ..

Correct ..or are the 24% player suggested rollback figures ..??
No rollback applied.

Since the rollback was a part of a NHLPA proposal that is no longer being negotiated on, I don't know if we can or should assume that a rollback (or what extent of a rollback) will be part of whatever ends up happening.

Quote:
Also since you have done the leg work .. we would have to define if the lockout ended this year or next .. as that makes a big difference in the dispersal of which players .. You can't disperse a player like say Leetch next season only this one .. and more confusing is that this year is 1/2 completed .. how do you apply a hard cap against that amount ..Simply 1/2 the Cap figure or use some $$ /game formula ..

Then I am also interested on Bettman plans this to work as you question .. Thinking clearly the team will expose players of its choice and not the league's choice .. but still a current 1 year contract like say Leetch of a league starting up next week has many complications today as that same player that puts a team over a cap today would not at the beginning of next season ..

Also lets take a player like Yashin certain to be exposed ..How could you force that long tern contract on anyone .. The team receiving him would say to Bettman .. I would rather sign Palffy or Demitra or any other UFA currently to contract terms of our liking rather then take on a long term contract of a disinterested player like Yashin .. What is Yashin goes unselected in a dispersal draft .. Clearly he does not fit back on the NYI if they exposed him in the first place for Salary Cap reasons .. The league just buys out his remaining 8 years and tells him he is a UFA and he returns to Russia and very wealthy man ..

Is that how the league plans on getting out of bad GM contracts of players like that and Jagr etc..???

What wil keep UFA spending down if the league is forcing all teams to a min 32 max 35 cap system .. Teams will have to overpay for UFA to get up to that amount if they are currently young and have lots of inexpensive contracts like Atlanta and Florida for example ..
All of this just goes to show how many variables there could potentially be in this situation. It makes it very tough to try and predict what's going to happen.

I mean it's easy to say that the Leafs will have to "cut" players. But then you have to look at all the other teams who are going to have to drop players as well.

So while it's easy to say the Leafs will drop a guy like Nolan, it's not so easy to say who exactly is going to pick him up. I mean he has to play somewhere. He and his contract aren't just going to dissapear into thin air.

The only thing that is a relative certainty in all of this (unless there's contraction of course) is that there are still going to be close to 700 players for about 30 teams.

Are all of these low salaried teams going to be picking up all of these costly players with the possibilty of them displacing good young talent. Probably not.

Old
01-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
No rollback applied.

Since the rollback was a part of a NHLPA proposal that is no longer being negotiated on, I don't know if we can or should assume that a rollback (or what extent of a rollback) will be part of whatever ends up happening..
Good that is the way I usually like to operate on the premise of what we have now is the more accurate measure ... I did that in my Salary examples and well .. Where the current team is at 62 + million now and drops to 44 mill (Minus UFA Roberts ~=(4mil), Newy(3mil) Leetch(6 mil) and Mogs(5 mil) = 18 mil only) as the big contracts because the players that replace them in the lineup Carlo, Steen etc should off set the other small contracts and the difference count against a cap if you know what I mean.

So if the Leafs are still over ...then I would think it would be in their best interest to expose the larger contracts for dispersal .. Likely Nolan ..possible Belfour due to age.. to get below a cap ..

Then I agree with you again .. What team would take Belfour?? Its not in the best interest of Florida (Luongo),Atlanta (Lehtonen), Calgary (Kiprosoff), Boston (Raycroft), Pittsburgh (Fleury) etc etc to take on money in his contract at the expense of playing time of its younger goalie for the future ..

So what does this accomplish .. Toronto can't have him since Bettman says SALARY CAP ... and other teams below a cap don't want him at this stage of his career for both $$$ and age reasons as they are going a younger direction .. So an All-star goalie is just run out of the league to create team parity ???

Then what happens the league buys out his remaining year/years and he becomes a UFA and now that he has his money ..The Leafs can just resign him for $1 buck or even the difference between his old buyout amount usually 2/3 and what he would have gotten basically amounting to 1/3 of his current deal ..

Now what is Bettman going to do about that force the Leafs to play Telly and Aubin and not allow the Leafs to get a UFA by telling them who they can and can't sign ..even if the contract keeps them below Salary Cap figure ..???

What sense does that make ??

Then if combined they also have to lose for discussion purposes Nolan and as Ulf says pay his contract on his new team .. So you have players you want to get but can't and others you don't but still have to pay ... This is all nonsense on Bettman's behalf..

I agree "All of this just goes to show how many variables there could potentially be in this situation. It makes it very tough to try and predict what's going to happen."

There really is not a way that this Bettman world makes any sense to a forward thinking person .. to put any logic into it which clearly Bettman has not done as he is so blinded by the HARD CAP that all the rest around it becomes almost silly ...

There are going to be so many work arounds to this Cap anyway ..

In a previous company I worked for they came up with a great Revenue Sharing idea to keep salaries in balance in the company for comparison purposes .. They would pay the Senior Manager (employee) a Salary and also hire his spouse (on paper only ) to the company .. Instead of paying the Employee 60 grand ..They gave him 30 and his spouse 30 grand each .. Although the spouse only came in for one of the 365 days in the year but drew a regular biweekly salary thru payroll ..It was great for Income tax purposes as both then split the cost as the spouse stayed home to raise the kids .. and up and coming managers could not ask for increases greater then their Supervisors or managers ..and only the President and the Payroll person and the Chief Finacial office new better ..

So what is stopping the Leafs from doing the same.... Offer a UFA a deal to a player and hire his wife (on paper) to the office staff and together pay them much more then the players contract to fit under a Cap figure .. Last I checked accountants and secretarial staff where not a part of the Salary Cap figure .. and how can Bettman stop that, as just one example ..

Last edited by Mess: 01-22-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Closed Thread