HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Lance Armstrong will admit to doping (1/11 report)

Old
01-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
LeMond is up there too. But he may have been clean.

Though almost everyone 'knows' that Indurain doped, he's not disliked as Armstrong. Or maybe hated or despised is the better word here. He was modest from what I recall, even quiet.

I've read a little the Oprah thread at Cyclingnews Clinic.. boy they really hate him over there. I like how they call Lance 'Wonderboy', lol.
Yeah, Lemond is another of the great cyclists ever.

Attitude really matters I guess, and Armstrong did so many things to hate him...
Everyone knows Pantani doped, but he's loved by most cycling fans, his attitude on the bike was incredible.
Yeah, Indurain was very humble and quiet.

ahaha the clinic is a crazy place, sometimes I go there and read to kill some time

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:16 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2012 Dec;7(4):397-400. Epub 2012 Aug 1.
The cycling physiology of Miguel Indurain 14 years after retirement.
Mujika I.
Source
Dept of Physiology, University of the Basque Country, Leioa, Spain.
Abstract
Age-related fitness declines in athletes can be due to both aging and detraining. Very little is known about the physiological and performance decline of professional cyclists after retirement from competition. To gain some insight into the aging and detraining process of elite cyclists, 5-time Tour de France winner and Olympic Champion Miguel Indurain performed a progressive cycle-ergometer test to exhaustion 14 y after retirement from professional cycling (age 46 y, body mass 92.2 kg). His maximal values were oxygen uptake 5.29 L/min (57.4 mL · kg-1 · min-1), aerobic power output 450 W (4.88 W/kg), heart rate 191 beats/min, blood lactate 11.2 mM. Values at the individual lactate threshold (ILT): 4.28 L/min (46.4 mL · kg-1 · min-1), 329 W (3.57 W/kg), 159 beats/min, 2.4 mM. Values at the 4-mM onset of blood lactate accumulation (OBLA): 4.68 L/min (50.8 mL · kg-1 · min-1), 369 W (4.00 W/kg), 170 beats/min. Average cycling gross efficiency between 100 and 350 W was 20.1%, with a peak value of 22.3% at 350 W. Delta efficiency was 27.04%. Absolute maximal oxygen uptake and aerobic power output declined by 12.4% and 15.2% per decade, whereas power output at ILT and OBLA declined by 19.8% and 19.2%. Larger declines in maximal and submaximal values relative to body mass (19.4-26.1%) indicate that body composition changed more than aerobic characteristics. Nevertheless, Indurain's absolute maximal and submaximal oxygen uptake and power output still compare favorably with those exhibited by active professional cyclists.
PMID: 22868823
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22868823

I thought this was interesting piece on Indurain.

To not make this totally ot.. it will be interesting to see what happens next in this saga. I don't hope to see him in jail though, but we'll see what happens in the Landis case.

I don't think Lance handled this wisely, to me it was pretty obvious that he was dodging difficult questions and wants to come back to compete and thus didn't confess doping after 05. Well, maybe it hits the general US audience, dunno.

I'll probably have to buy the new Walsh book. May not have anything new but I like to read his writings.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

"The Clinic" is highly entertaining...from a distance. Also very informative relative to links to stuff you won't find in the msm.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Part that really surprised me was him saying he rode clean in 09 and 10 - he got 3rd place in 09. Pretty damn impressive to do that clean after 3 years away from the sport. I damn hope he wasn't lying there because he has absolutely nothing to gain from that.
He apparently benefits from a legal point of view.

http://www.tsn.ca/cycling/story/?id=413848
Quote:
I expected to hear Armstrong deny he took banned substances within the past five years, and specifically when he unretired in 2009 for two years. Armstrong made that denial, and for his legal team, this was probably one of the most important parts of the interview.

Here's the reason. The time limit to criminally prosecute someone for possession and distribution of steroids and banned substances (which is unlawful) is five years. So that means that Armstrong could admit to using banned substances back in 1999 and the early 2000s since he's comfortably outside the statute of limitations.

However, since the five-year limitation period has not expired in connection with his alleged drug use in 2009 and 2010, he could not admit to that. Effectively, Armstrong could admit to drug use, but he had to be careful associating it with a recent timeframe.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:19 PM
kov

Marca.com website has the following quote from Armstrong:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Armstrong
"Neither of Merckx, Indurain or No generation was clean ..."
Dude wants to burn the whole town down with himself.

kov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Well you cant deny he isn't right but there's a difference between testosterone/amphetamines/the usual stuff of those days (1950-1987) and growth hormones, blooddoping and EPO. Moser and Zoetemelk both blooddoped as well but barely on a large scale. I think in those days they didnt even know how much you could improve. Grow hormones was being used in the 80s as well.

EPO really sucked up the peloton. All results from 1990 until let's say 2010 can't be taken seriously.

Surprised he says this about Merckx because both are friends and Merckx defended him all the way.

Dutch cycling team PDM was completely doped during the Tours of 1988 and 1989 (best team during those days)....testosterone, blooddoping, grow hormones.

Last edited by Frolov 6'3: 01-30-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

It isn't about who took what. It's about LA again trying to control the narrative and make himself sound like he was just one of the guys in the peloton. He'd like you to forget or never know he was the Tony Soprano of the peloton and wielded his power ruthlessly. He is a worthless piece of **** and I love watching him continue sinking lower.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Surprised he says this about Merckx because both are friends and Merckx defended him all the way.
Considering it's well-known that Merckx has actually failed tests before, I doubt he would care that much (unless Armstrong accused him of specifically using some drug that he never tested positive for).

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Considering it's well-known that Merckx has actually failed tests before, I doubt he would care that much (unless Armstrong accused him of specifically using some drug that he never tested positive for).
Well apparantely not. I have misunderstood the quote of kov. BTW Merckx always denied doping abuse.

LA was talking about doping in the Anquetil, Merckx, LeMond era etc, in short; doping is part of cycling. True. I thought he specifically assused him yes.

Anyway, what I said earlier...there's a difference between the usual stuff and EPO/blooddoping, and that annoys me a bit when I hear that talk.

Michael Rasmussen (two times mountain king in the Tour and almost winner in 2007) just admitted he used EPO, grow hormones, insuline, cortisonen (the whole pharmacy) and had blood transfusions during his WHOLE career. That's a statement.

Not that ******** what both Lance and Bobby Julich were saying. That they quit with doping towards the end of their careers.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:23 PM
The Imp

vCash: 50
Michael Rasmussen "came clean" today, admitting doping use from 1998 to 2010. Cooperating fully with WADA (this could be interesting!).

The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Merckx is also the one who introduced LA to Ferrari and insisted Ferrari take him on as a client.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:18 PM
tobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imp View Post
Michael Rasmussen "came clean" today, admitting doping use from 1998 to 2010. Cooperating fully with WADA (this could be interesting!).
He won't be the last Rabobank-cyclist who confesses doping.
Until now, we have:
- Danny Nelissen
- Thomas Dekker
- Marc Lotz
- Levi Leipheimer
- Roy Sentjens
- Grischa Niermann
- Steven de Jongh

Michael Boogerd and Erik Dekker have been accused by former cyclists that they doped as well. That has never been proven, but still, eventually, these two will have to confess as well.

What a sad time for Dutch cycling.
I hope Lotto never has to go through the same. The national lottery has done so much for Belgian cycling during the last decades, it would be a disaster if they decided to quit the sport.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
Until now, we have:
- Danny Nelissen
- Thomas Dekker
- Marc Lotz
- Levi Leipheimer
- Roy Sentjens
- Grischa Niermann
- Steven de Jongh

Michael Boogerd and Erik Dekker have been accused by former cyclists that they doped as well. That has never been proven, but still, eventually, these two will have to confess as well.

I hope Lotto never has to go through the same. The national lottery has done so much for Belgian cycling during the last decades, it would be a disaster if they decided to quit the sport.
I actually think is about time we are going to hear something from Belgium. Its awfully quit over there.

I think it wasnt much better with Lotto after 1995 when half their time went home because of the time limit on La Plagne. That was a sad happening but I'm curious what has happened from then on. Unfortunately no critical look. In Holland its much different, here they dare to criticize Rabobank

Its a sad story but I do not want to know what we are going to hear when they are going to investigate GB-MG/Mapei-GB/Lotto-Domo etc etc. and everything related to Patrick Lefevre.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:11 PM
NMF78

Doping is as old as professional cycling, so what Armstrong told is true, off course there are differences between doping pre-epo and after but still doping has always been a part of the sport. No point in being a hypocrite and deny this.

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:15 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
Until now, we have:
- Danny Nelissen
- Thomas Dekker
- Marc Lotz
- Levi Leipheimer
- Roy Sentjens
- Grischa Niermann
- Steven de Jongh

Hasn't Rabobank had someone caught once a year for a while now?

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:52 PM
tobo

Quote:
Its a sad story but I do not want to know what we are going to hear when they are going to investigate GB-MG/Mapei-GB/Lotto-Domo etc etc. and everything related to Patrick Lefevre.
I wouldn't count on that happening in the near future. Lefevre is still way to deep involved in cycling. And we've seen what happens when journalists try to nail Patrick. In 2007 Het Laatste Nieuws had to pay Lefevre 500.000 € because they wrote two articles called "3 decades of doping".

But when you look at all the cyclists that have worked with him, the sheer amount of sinners is insane. You've got Rominger, Olano, Virenque, Vandenbroucke, Tonkov, Museeuw, Camenzind, Garzelli, Merckx, Mattan, Beltrán, Petrov, Sinkewitz, Leipheimer, Lotz, Dufaux, and many others.

Luckily, thanks to the past, I'm already a cynic when it comes to cycling. I used to be a big Festina-fan when I was young... We all know how that story ended.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:16 AM
Evilo

So now Arsmtrong doesn't want to give the money back.
No kidding? This has always been the main thing about him : money.

You didn't win the TdF, you shouldn't get the money from it.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

The longer this goes on the more obvious LA's coming out to Oprah was all about Lance. There is no remorse for what he did. There is no desire to help clean up the sport. There can't be when he hasn't convinced himself he did anything wrong. He is a sad excuse for a human being.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Well lets be honest, all the riders who finished 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th etc etc didnt have to refund any price money either. I dont know what to think of it.

Many dopers have made a lot of money and those who decided to ride clean, had to quit the sport or have become plumber. Its a sad conclusion.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Well lets be honest, all the riders who finished 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th etc etc didnt have to refund any price money either. I dont know what to think of it.

Many dopers have made a lot of money and those who decided to ride clean, had to quit the sport or have become plumber. Its a sad conclusion.
Prize money is one thing, but the insurance money to SCA is another. There is recorded proof of him perjuring himself back then. If he has no interest in making good on that then I firmly believe this "confession" is nothing more than another page in the LA scam. And to listen to Tim Herman claim all the money went to Tailwind Sports, not Lance, and therefore LA owes nobody anything just sounds like more of the drivel we've been hearing for years from him.

LA became incredibly wealthy from his scam. Way beyond the wealth accumulated by all the runners up. If there was any sincerity in his "confession" he would be willing to give back some money to prove it. How about the financial hardship he put on Emma O'Riely or Mike Anderson? How about ruining Greg LeMond's multi-million dollar bike business with Trek? To this point he has only offered up money to try and buy his way out of the potential whistle-blower suit. Typical of LA, he's always and only looking out for #1.

His megalomania/narcissism will be his legacy.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

oh yes I agree about that, but just responded on the price money. He also gained money from court trials that he won, which he should not have won like we know now.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:26 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Prize money is one thing, but the insurance money to SCA is another. There is recorded proof of him perjuring himself back then. If he has no interest in making good on that then I firmly believe this "confession" is nothing more than another page in the LA scam. And to listen to Tim Herman claim all the money went to Tailwind Sports, not Lance, and therefore LA owes nobody anything just sounds like more of the drivel we've been hearing for years from him.

LA became incredibly wealthy from his scam. Way beyond the wealth accumulated by all the runners up. If there was any sincerity in his "confession" he would be willing to give back some money to prove it. How about the financial hardship he put on Emma O'Riely or Mike Anderson? How about ruining Greg LeMond's multi-million dollar bike business with Trek? To this point he has only offered up money to try and buy his way out of the potential whistle-blower suit. Typical of LA, he's always and only looking out for #1.

His megalomania/narcissism will be his legacy.
I thought that was his legacy years ago. Arrogance just radiated from the guy.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
oh yes I agree about that, but just responded on the price money. He also gained money from court trials that he won, which he should not have won like we know now.
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing with you. My apology if it came across that way. I've hated that MF for years. People need to know just what a true piece of **** he is.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I thought that was his legacy years ago. Arrogance just radiated from the guy.
Well, you and me both. The rest of the world is only now realizing that. It's such a joke watching the msm attack him now when none of them would lift a finger to investigate the facts that have been known for years. They aren't much better than him.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

It appears the federal case against Wonderboy may be heating up again. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/repo...-investigation

Quote:
Contrary to what U.S. Attorney André Birotte said at a press conference on Tuesday, a federal government source has told ABC News that Lance Armstrong is in fact the focus of a criminal investigation. According to the anonymous source, "Agents are actively investigating Armstrong for obstruction, witness tampering and intimidation," they told ABC News.

This is almost as good as the Ducks being 7-1-1.