HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 WCHA Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2012, 11:56 PM
  #1
akacesfan
Leafs/Aces/Seawolves
 
akacesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Anchorage, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
2012-2013 WCHA Thread

UAA fan here. Hopefully they do better this year.

Way Too Early Predictions...


1. North Dakota
2. Minnesota
3. Nebraska-Omaha
4. Denver
5. Wisconsin
6. St. Cloud State
7. Michigan Tech
8. Minnesota Duluth
9. Colorado College
10. Minnesota State
11. UAA
12. Bemidji State

akacesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:15 PM
  #2
WaltWhitman
Registered User
 
WaltWhitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by akacesfan View Post
UAA fan here. Hopefully they do better this year.

Way Too Early Predictions...


1. North Dakota
2. Minnesota
3. Nebraska-Omaha
4. Denver
5. Wisconsin
6. St. Cloud State
7. Michigan Tech
8. Minnesota Duluth
9. Colorado College
10. Minnesota State
11. UAA
12. Bemidji State
UND fan, here.

Looks pretty good. The only question I have is UMD and CC so low, but I haven't been paying real close attention to their losses this offseason, so I could be off-base.

It's gonna be sad to see the old WCHA break up, but hopefully it will turn out OK in the end and college hockey will grow from the realignment. I also hope that some of our fellow WCHA brothers will be able to get some more national prominence now that they're out of the shadows of the Minnesotas, Wisconsins and North Dakotas of the old WCHA.

I'll always have a place in my heart for the old WCHA rivals.

WaltWhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:21 PM
  #3
DraftNerd
Registered User
 
DraftNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Country: United States
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
I'm hoping and expecting a big year from UNO next year. Losing Broadhurst hurts but we have a lot coming back.

DraftNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:24 PM
  #4
akacesfan
Leafs/Aces/Seawolves
 
akacesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Anchorage, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Honestly, 3-9 could be completely changed around and I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I hate to say it, but the Seawolves will probably suck next year. Too many players are bolting the team and Shiyak is a terrible coach in my opinion, but I'm holding out hope that they'll do OK this year.

akacesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:08 AM
  #5
akacesfan
Leafs/Aces/Seawolves
 
akacesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Anchorage, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
UAA signed a new recruit a couple days ago. Bobby Murphy, a local kid playing for the NAHL's Kenai River Brown Bears. He seems to be a grinder from his stats, hopefully that's true, that was something I think we were lacking last year.

akacesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:15 PM
  #6
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,221
vCash: 500
So, Dakoata Sioux mentioned something above Parise and Greene being leaders on opposing Stanley cup teams. that got me thinking about all the players from the W who are leaders 'o men in the NHL. Here's the list:

Chicago: Jonathon Toews "C"
Colorado: Paul Stastny "A"
LA: Matt Greene "A"
Minnesota: Heater "A", Matt Cullen "A"
Nashville: Ryan Suter "A"
St. Louis: David Backes "C"
Buffalo: Drew stafford "A", Thomas Vanek "A"
New Jersey: Zach Parise "C"
New York Islanders: Kyle Okposo "A"
Winnepeg: Marc Stuart "A"

Not too shoddy, 1/3 of the teams in the league have WCHA membvers in a leadership role. Pretty impressive representation by the, uh, team from North Dakota. I don't follow Canadian Juniors that much but I think any of their conferences would be hard pressed to have that many guys in leadership roles in the NHL.

It's worth noting Chicago has the all-collegiate captain squad with Duncan Keith and Pat Sharp wearing the "A"s....and yes I know Duncan Keith played Canadian Juniors after he was with Sparty. And, off the top of my head for other collegians, Gionta is captian of Montreal and RJ Umberger and Ryan Kesler wear the "A" for their respective teams.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:54 PM
  #7
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 643
With all St. Cloud returns, I think we are a top 3 league team next year, especially if our two big rookie forwards in Benik and Murray adjust well to being put in the top 6 to start the year. Benik is a ROTY candidate IMO.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:26 PM
  #8
Dakota Sioux
Registered User
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 10,788
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
So, Dakoata Sioux mentioned something above Parise and Greene being leaders on opposing Stanley cup teams. that got me thinking about all the players from the W who are leaders 'o men in the NHL. Here's the list:

Chicago: Jonathon Toews "C"
Colorado: Paul Stastny "A"
LA: Matt Greene "A"
Minnesota: Heater "A", Matt Cullen "A"
Nashville: Ryan Suter "A"
St. Louis: David Backes "C"
Buffalo: Drew stafford "A", Thomas Vanek "A"
New Jersey: Zach Parise "C"
New York Islanders: Kyle Okposo "A"
Winnepeg: Marc Stuart "A"

Not too shoddy, 1/3 of the teams in the league have WCHA membvers in a leadership role. Pretty impressive representation by the, uh, team from North Dakota. I don't follow Canadian Juniors that much but I think any of their conferences would be hard pressed to have that many guys in leadership roles in the NHL.

It's worth noting Chicago has the all-collegiate captain squad with Duncan Keith and Pat Sharp wearing the "A"s....and yes I know Duncan Keith played Canadian Juniors after he was with Sparty. And, off the top of my head for other collegians, Gionta is captian of Montreal and RJ Umberger and Ryan Kesler wear the "A" for their respective teams.
Not to shoddy that 4 of them are former Sioux. Yeah I had to throw that in there.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:13 PM
  #9
akacesfan
Leafs/Aces/Seawolves
 
akacesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Anchorage, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
I think at this point, UAA fans are in panic mode now. Two more players have bolted the team (Mellor and Pustin), bringing the total number now to six.

Article from the ADN

akacesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:26 PM
  #10
puckguy11
This Space for Rent
 
puckguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Somewhere in MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by akacesfan View Post
I think at this point, UAA fans are in panic mode now. Two more players have bolted the team (Mellor and Pustin), bringing the total number now to six.

Article from the ADN
I hate to see any WCHA program like this, UAA included. I know Seawolf fans are throwing everything at the wall at this point and seeing what sticks as to why the program is on the spiral it is, but is there really one true answer?

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
  #11
akacesfan
Leafs/Aces/Seawolves
 
akacesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Anchorage, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
It's hard to provide a definitive answer, but I think it's a combination of three things.

1. The Alaska Aces, our ECHL team, win regularly, and usually raise at least one banner a year (whether it's for Kelly Cup championships or Division championships). UAA hasn't had a winning season in years, and many people in Anchorage have negative perceptions about the team.

2. The new WCHA doesn't help either. The WCHA was probably our main recruiting draw, but now that it's gone, there's no compelling reason for players to come here.

3. Shiyak. I have no clue how he still has a job with UAA, especially considering his winning percentage here is around .360. Anywhere else, that would be unacceptable.

akacesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:23 AM
  #12
puckguy11
This Space for Rent
 
puckguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Somewhere in MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by akacesfan View Post
Shiyak. I have no clue how he still has a job with UAA, especially considering his winning percentage here is around .360. Anywhere else, that would be unacceptable.
Well, the thought (at least right now in the WCHA) is that a new coach turns things around. Look at Tech, and the optimism coming out of Mankato for this season. Although the next (and rightful) question is "Who wants to coach at Anchorage?". Maybe UAA hasn't pulled the trigger yet because they honestly don't know the answer to that question.

Although given all the departures this year alone (I'll even throw in Bruijsten even though it wasn't a voluntary departure), the AD at UAA has to look itself in the mirror and address why all these players leaving en masse. The easiest (and probably cheapest) at this point is letting Shiyak go.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:46 PM
  #13
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,484
vCash: 5792
I am a UND fan, they're always good, but what is the expectations for UNO?

Flyers pick Anthony Stolarz is committed to UNO this fall, is he going to get the playing time needed? I see they have 4 goaltenders on their roster, two sophomores, one of which played the lion's share of the games last year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:51 PM
  #14
DraftNerd
Registered User
 
DraftNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Country: United States
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I am a UND fan, they're always good, but what is the expectations for UNO?

Flyers pick Anthony Stolarz is committed to UNO this fall, is he going to get the playing time needed? I see they have 4 goaltenders on their roster, two sophomores, one of which played the lion's share of the games last year.
Expectations are extremely high for UNO. The only big loss is Terry Broadhurst (Rockford/ahl) and to a lesser degree Alex Broadhurst (London/ohl). We are returning alot.

I'm sure Ryan Massa and Anthony Stolarz will split time until one takes the reigns. Two seasons ago we rode John Faulkner he regressed last year and we rode Massa.

The only three that scare me are Minny, NoDak, and Denver.

DraftNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:28 PM
  #15
akacesfan
Leafs/Aces/Seawolves
 
akacesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Anchorage, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensguy11 View Post
Well, the thought (at least right now in the WCHA) is that a new coach turns things around. Look at Tech, and the optimism coming out of Mankato for this season. Although the next (and rightful) question is "Who wants to coach at Anchorage?". Maybe UAA hasn't pulled the trigger yet because they honestly don't know the answer to that question.

Although given all the departures this year alone (I'll even throw in Bruijsten even though it wasn't a voluntary departure), the AD at UAA has to look itself in the mirror and address why all these players leaving en masse. The easiest (and probably cheapest) at this point is letting Shiyak go.
We're not quite there yet, but I think Shiyak is on the hot seat. He's built this team, if he doesn't win (by that, I mean finish at least 9th or better), he's gone.

Oh, and Evan Trupp's brother (Hayden Trupp) committed to UAA a few days ago. I wonder if he'll be as good as his brother.

akacesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:27 AM
  #16
bigplay41
BIG MEECH
 
bigplay41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,331
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by akacesfan View Post
We're not quite there yet, but I think Shiyak is on the hot seat. He's built this team, if he doesn't win (by that, I mean finish at least 9th or better), he's gone.

Oh, and Evan Trupp's brother (Hayden Trupp) committed to UAA a few days ago. I wonder if he'll be as good as his brother.
Hello akacesfan question for ya since you are a big Seawolves fan. How do you view the new WCHA Conference going forward for the 2013-2014 season? Secondly i heard there is a lot of people upset over the new playoff format. Is it true that no matter what the seed UAA will play UAF in the first round unless either team is conference champion? If thats true what is your take on that

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:04 PM
  #17
akacesfan
Leafs/Aces/Seawolves
 
akacesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Anchorage, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
Hello akacesfan question for ya since you are a big Seawolves fan. How do you view the new WCHA Conference going forward for the 2013-2014 season? Secondly i heard there is a lot of people upset over the new playoff format. Is it true that no matter what the seed UAA will play UAF in the first round unless either team is conference champion? If thats true what is your take on that
1. I'm excited for the chance to finally win, but I'm going to miss our old WCHA rivals, even if they kicked our butts more often than not.

2. Yes, it's true. It's only a two year experiment though, but I'm still annoyed as heck. I've also heard that if one of them is conference champion, they'll still play in the first round. This is only a rumor, but still.

So, if the standings were like this...

1. UAA
2. Bowling Green
3. UAF

Bowling Green would get the bye, and UAA would host UAF. I don't know if that part of it's true, but it better not be, seriously.

akacesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:35 PM
  #18
Dakota Sioux
Registered User
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 10,788
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by akacesfan View Post
1. I'm excited for the chance to finally win, but I'm going to miss our old WCHA rivals, even if they kicked our butts more often than not.

2. Yes, it's true. It's only a two year experiment though, but I'm still annoyed as heck. I've also heard that if one of them is conference champion, they'll still play in the first round. This is only a rumor, but still.

So, if the standings were like this...

1. UAA
2. Bowling Green
3. UAF

Bowling Green would get the bye, and UAA would host UAF. I don't know if that part of it's true, but it better not be, seriously.
What a joke. That's all I can say about that.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:16 PM
  #19
DraftNerd
Registered User
 
DraftNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Country: United States
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Ryan Massa is redshirtin this season due to personal reasons. Get ready for alot of Anthony Stolarz.

DraftNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:17 PM
  #20
puckguy11
This Space for Rent
 
puckguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Somewhere in MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftNerd View Post
Ryan Massa is redshirtin this season due to personal reasons. Get ready for alot of Anthony Stolarz.
I hope this isnīt residual from the hit he took in the Mankato series in January. I was in the building when it happened, and it was a very hard hit.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:38 PM
  #21
Dakota Sioux
Registered User
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 10,788
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
I hope this isnīt residual from the hit he took in the Mankato series in January. I was in the building when it happened, and it was a very hard hit.
It has nothing to do with that.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:15 PM
  #22
DraftNerd
Registered User
 
DraftNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Country: United States
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
It has nothing to do with that.

Really? I don't think anyone knows as not much has been said. How are you so sure?

DraftNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:00 PM
  #23
Dakota Sioux
Registered User
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 10,788
vCash: 250
WCHA Schedule

http://www.wcha.com/men/pres1112/201...26wcm_comp.pdf

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:31 PM
  #24
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
I looked that over. So how does the "Final Five" work? It looks like it has 6 teams.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 06:47 PM
  #25
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,007
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
I looked that over. So how does the "Final Five" work? It looks like it has 6 teams.
It is six teams since the WCHA added Bemidji State and Nebraska-Omaha a couple years ago.

It's a 3 game series to start where the 1 seed hosts the 12, 2 hosts 11, 3 hosts 10, 4 hosts 9, 5 hosts 8 and 6 hosts 7. The winners of those series' advance to the "Final Five". The four lowest seeds play a single knockout game, the winners go on to face the top two seeds based on seeding (example if the 4 seed beats the 5 seed and the 3 seed beats the 6 seed the 3 seed would play the 2 seed and the 4 seed would play the one.) Then it's the winner of the semifinal to the finals.

It used to be five because the league only had 10 teams so they would do 1 vs 10, 2 vs 9, 3 vs 8, 4 vs 7 and 5 vs 6. Since only five teams could advance it was called the Final Five and the top seed would get the bye.

So long story short, they just never changed the name from Final Five when they added two teams. Kind of like how the Big Ten never changed their name once they added Penn State and Nebraska.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.