HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Evander Kane Proposal Thread (keep it here)

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
yep, not really much point in this for either side.

MTL would have to add considerably well acquiring a second first line left wing (whats that do?)

so mtl loses center depth it doesn't have and some significant futures to pad a position it doesn't need to pad?

Also, winnipeg doesnt need plek. 2 years of olli should bridge the gap for a 2/1 c in sheif or burmi.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:00 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 6159
Montreal doesn't have centers to give up and the Jets have plenty of centers. Besides that, whatever Montreal would have to add to Plekanec would have to be so significant that I wouldn't even consider Plekanec the main piece coming back - i.e. not the basis for starting the proposal. I say that as a fan of Plekanec. The Jets would need a young star player coming back or two very good prospects.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Like others have said, Montreal would definitely need to add a lot. It makes no sense for Winnipeg to trade their young star for less than an overpayment. Poor trade partners IMO.

This also belongs in the Evander Kane thread...mods sleeping?

Old
09-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Why does Montreal need Kane? They've already got a young 30-30 power forward LW in Pacioretty. Kane's just redundant.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Why does Montreal need Kane? They've already got a young 30-30 power forward LW in Pacioretty. Kane's just redundant.
This is true. Now try seeing it from the Jets point of view.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:22 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Quote:
though i heartily disagree on your assessment of Kreider vs Kane, the above was definitely far too much. Again it the bizarre hf tenancy to think that the potential of being better then player x means prospect y is worth more (when in all likelihood it is usually far more likely that prospect y becomes much less then player x).

now its may be semantics but your post kind of read like you wouldn't even except kane for kreider, which seems bizarre, but this is neither here nor there.
Thank you for the civil and open minded post.
Allow me to emphasize, with the hope it will provide more clarity.

Clearly the established EKane is today worth more than CKreider.

However, IMO, that is not the question, which is how much upside does CK have, to which the answer is we don't really, honestly know, and may not know for upwards of 2 years to see for ourselves. IF CK has big enough upside, that he will equal or possibly even surpass EK in a relatively short term, then you would only do that deal to 'win now' and since a prospect of CK calibre is not clearly there as replacement, CK in the equation for EK is not good asset mgmt for Rangers. Besides, the idea is to overpay with other assets and obtain more dominant players, i.e., for Jets to overpay for CK, if they can, or Rangers to overpay for EK, if they can.

CK was drafted as a normal/thin kid, blessed with speed --- supposedly he had high level of speed for NHL level already when drafted. However, there was legit question how he'd fill out, and would that bulking slow that principal asset of skating speed. Additionally, the shooting looked promising, but we drafted this guy for what he does with his blades, not his stick.

Fast forward, and we now see this guy grew and kept speed, and it looks like he's developed a shot. Few playoff appearances are not enough, though they looked good, especially since these were his first NHL games, he was largely muzzled in a D first system.

So unless Malkin or Stamkos is involved, I want to wait those 2 years. This does not mean that at the end of the 2 years that a high end NHLer like EK won't turn out to be the better player. But I am saying IMO it's prudent for NY to wait and see, and offer other. substantial assets.

Quote:
My issue is postma is far closer (and more likely imo) to becoming an NHL player then st croix. I think St Croix is a long shot to be anything (from discussions with some ranger fans) where's Postma has already earned himself a one way (of course that doesn't mean anything in and of itself, but it's a good measurement of where the organization sees him).
No dis intended. Viewed Postma as a 3rd pair, maybe pushing to #4 on your squad. Some potential. He's righty, in short supply for Rangers, so we're interested at the right price.

St. Croix is highly rated as a potential scorer. I don't know he'll pan out or not at NHL level otherwise, but he looks like he could put puck in the net. So stud NHL shutdown D + scoring F prospect for stud F and low pair D, possibly viewable as on the bubble, I consider that to be ballpark balanced.

Quote:
What is Hagelins worth? What would be added on Winnipeg side or is that just pie in the sky dreaming? Besides the fact that he's from Winnipeg, I can't see why we (or any organization) would target st croix, I definitely feel a piece more likely to be a player of any sort would need to be coming back.
The NHL skating champ is a serious piece. Not untouchable, IMO but serious. While it is reasonable to expect a hard worker like Hags to continue to develop a shot and do more than pot opportunity goals, his present value needs be discounted until that reasonable expectation of a potential fact is actually in evidence. Still Rangers would need serious motivation to move him.

I could agree EKane is such motivation. But not with Staal.
Maybe Hagelin + Del Zotto + 2 Rangers 2s
for
EKane, Postma and a Jet 1st is a ballpark framework.

Thoughts?

Old
09-12-2012, 11:57 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Quote:
Really? And not just faster, but he's way faster?
I was not aware of the input since from allan5oh, assuming it is accurate.

I realized EK was fast, but not that fast.
Accordingly I revise this to say I would expect CK to be faster, but not 'way' faster.
You can't judge Kreider yet on those playoffs, his first NHL games, where he was muzzled most of the time in a D first system where there was no room for error.

Kreider has the aura that he has been the fastest in the Ranger system, the same natural gifts of Hagelin, but with bigger strides working more efficiently. Hags has earned the title, and deserves it, and Gaborik is also no slouch. But Kreider competes, and possibly exceeds, at even this high level, so I expect he wins a race with EK.

Again, I concede on 'way', but not otherwise.

Quote:
So you would only trade Kreider for Malkin or Stamkos? That's where you place his value?
It's NOT that he is that valuable today. It's far from certain he could develop THAT much and be that valuable, ultimately.

What I'm asking you to realize is Kreider's POTENTIAL could be high enough that no value assessed as the return for the Rangers is a definite long term winner for NY, unless it presumes the very best case scenario of Kreider turning into an uber elite player. So you add to the future uber elite Kreider to get a current uber elite.

Quote:
I think that there are quite a few defensemen you are forgetting.
Not if we are focusing on pure shut down D.
Better offense, sure, there are several.
Better composites, yes.

But not better pure shut down.
Chara, for example is better overall, and he is slightly better at clearing the crease (both are very effective, Zdeno merely asserts his will and moves you). But Staal is a better + faster skater, IMO. So Chara and his league best shot are better overall, aiaec. But pure shutdown D, I still take Marc Staal.

Quote:
Staal is a very good defenseman, but the Jets would not be trading Kane for him. The Jets wouldn't trade Kane for Kreider alone either, but I guess we won't have to worry about it considering Kreider is only available for Malkin or Stamkos.
The feedback from Jets fans early on in this thread wanted a top shutdown D, preferably lefty, ideally with a shot. This is Staal, and he has a hard shot he's improving.

Agreed, both sides may add for balance, but it is a premiere D for a premiere F.

CK for EK discussed.

Quote:
What does any of the above have to do with Kane being a RFA? If Kane was traded he would be under his new teams control for 4 more years.
You're right in that 3 years Staal still under contract and 4 years as you note, assuming that is right and we're not overlooking anything, is ballpark close.

My point, however, is these are the kinds of big deals where both sides should get restricted but reasonable opportunity to talk to the targeted principal player in the trade they would wind up acquiring. Just to be sure, no surprises, everybody is a happy camper. No one wants to move significant assets and then wind up with less than an ideal, profitable result.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:01 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket of Russia View Post
That's pure looney tunes. E. Kane way slower than Kreider, Staal the best shut-down D in the league, and Kreider only considered to be involved in a trade if Malkin or Stamkos are coming in exchange. Dear god, I've lost faith in mankind.
Bold = not so much, read the rationale which provides basis for those opinions.

Underline = ye of little faith

Old
09-13-2012, 12:08 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
How fast is Kreider?

Kane did a lap in 14.06 while getting water bottles thrown at him. That would've put him as winner of the NHL skills competition fastest skater from 2007-2011. In 2012 they changed the format.

I'd say Kane is top 3 in the league.
Thanks for the insight!
I knew he was generically fast, and fast for a big guy. He appears more bulked than CK, reportedly with extremely low body fat, a superior specimen physically, though both are strong and fast and big.

However, I still expect, it being his forte, CK would win the race. Close but more times than not.
I base this on the rationale listed in the immediately preceding posts.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:26 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Thought's like this are best to be keep inside your own head. The level of your homerism is beyond help, so there's no point in continuing in this discussion. Have yourself a nice rest.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

There's no homerism in offering a premium lefty D who fits your needs with a premium W who helps us try and develop three dominant lines.

Let us respect each other as to our thoughts (plural, not possessive).
Let us respect each other's right to free speech, agree or disagree.
You are welcome, or not as you wish, to engage in discussion with this poster, provided we can keep comments constructive, be they pro or con what statements have been made.

I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
that's a cool avatar; you may want to reflect a bit more on that motto.

Old
09-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Pongs21

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

I could agree EKane is such motivation. But not with Staal.
Maybe Hagelin + Del Zotto + 2 Rangers 2s
for
EKane, Postma and a Jet 1st is a ballpark framework.

Thoughts?
There is no way the Jet's add a 1st here. how does 2 2nd's, more like 3rds since the Rangers will be finishing high = jets 1st?

Hagelin + Del Zotto + 1st

EKane + Postma

And I still doubt Chevy accepts this trade.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Huffer

Quote:
I was not aware of the input since from allan5oh, assuming it is accurate.

I realized EK was fast, but not that fast.
Accordingly I revise this to say I would expect CK to be faster, but not 'way' faster.
You can't judge Kreider yet on those playoffs, his first NHL games, where he was muzzled most of the time in a D first system where there was no room for error.

Kreider has the aura that he has been the fastest in the Ranger system, the same natural gifts of Hagelin, but with bigger strides working more efficiently. Hags has earned the title, and deserves it, and Gaborik is also no slouch. But Kreider competes, and possibly exceeds, at even this high level, so I expect he wins a race with EK.

Again, I concede on 'way', but not otherwise.

It's NOT that he is that valuable today. It's far from certain he could develop THAT much and be that valuable, ultimately.

What I'm asking you to realize is Kreider's POTENTIAL could be high enough that no value assessed as the return for the Rangers is a definite long term winner for NY, unless it presumes the very best case scenario of Kreider turning into an uber elite player. So you add to the future uber elite Kreider to get a current uber elite.

Not if we are focusing on pure shut down D.
Better offense, sure, there are several.
Better composites, yes.

But not better pure shut down.
Chara, for example is better overall, and he is slightly better at clearing the crease (both are very effective, Zdeno merely asserts his will and moves you). But Staal is a better + faster skater, IMO. So Chara and his league best shot are better overall, aiaec. But pure shutdown D, I still take Marc Staal.

The feedback from Jets fans early on in this thread wanted a top shutdown D, preferably lefty, ideally with a shot. This is Staal, and he has a hard shot he's improving.

Agreed, both sides may add for balance, but it is a premiere D for a premiere F.

CK for EK discussed.

You're right in that 3 years Staal still under contract and 4 years as you note, assuming that is right and we're not overlooking anything, is ballpark close.

My point, however, is these are the kinds of big deals where both sides should get restricted but reasonable opportunity to talk to the targeted principal player in the trade they would wind up acquiring. Just to be sure, no surprises, everybody is a happy camper. No one wants to move significant assets and then wind up with less than an ideal, profitable result.
I can respect that you are trying to have a rational discussion on this, and accept that your thoughts are your own, but I disagree very strongly with some of your fundamental points.

I can certainly understand the idea of not trading a guy when you are not quite sure how good he might become. But it seems like you are speaking of Kreider as if he has the untapped potential and Kane does not. Both of these guys are the same age, and to this point, Kane has demonstrated much more. If you want to talk about Kreiders potential, then you have to talk about Kane's potential. Are you saying that Kreider has more potential than Kane?

I like Marc Staal. But I would be surprised if many other people thought he was the best shut down D man in the game. So I just flatly disagree with you there. Let's just say we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't think there is any way either of us will convince the other.

So IMO, Kane for Staal is not good enough. Staal is a very good defenseman, but the Jets would not trade Kane for him. I would say insert your position on why the Rangers wouldn't want to trade Kreider because of his potential into this section and you'll have the reason why the Jets wouldn't trade Kane for Staal. Unless there were some additions, and those would not be of the minor kind.

I don't see the Jets accepting the deal that you proposed, and I also agree with Pongs21 in that I doubt they accept his revision.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I can respect that you are trying to have a rational discussion on this, and accept that your thoughts are your own, but I disagree very strongly with some of your fundamental points.

I can certainly understand the idea of not trading a guy when you are not quite sure how good he might become. But it seems like you are speaking of Kreider as if he has the untapped potential and Kane does not. Both of these guys are the same age, and to this point, Kane has demonstrated much more. If you want to talk about Kreiders potential, then you have to talk about Kane's potential. Are you saying that Kreider has more potential than Kane?

I like Marc Staal. But I would be surprised if many other people thought he was the best shut down D man in the game. So I just flatly disagree with you there. Let's just say we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't think there is any way either of us will convince the other.

So IMO, Kane for Staal is not good enough. Staal is a very good defenseman, but the Jets would not trade Kane for him. I would say insert your position on why the Rangers wouldn't want to trade Kreider because of his potential into this section and you'll have the reason why the Jets wouldn't trade Kane for Staal. Unless there were some additions, and those would not be of the minor kind.

I don't see the Jets accepting the deal that you proposed, and I also agree with Pongs21 in that I doubt they accept his revision.
well said huff. Guess we'll have to chaclk it up to just a very different opinion on a players worth.

Bernmeister: Continuing this logic i am very suprised at how highly you value hagelin as well. your allowed to have your own viewpoint and opinions of players but,i'm quite confident, you would be very dissapointed in the returns of either hagelin or kreider and if i were to extrapolate (based on the value you are currently putting on stall, hagelin and kreider) i think you'll find yourself without a trade partner.

I won't get down on you for your valuation of your players, but i will say we might as well stop the back and forth.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:41 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Thanks for the insight!
I knew he was generically fast, and fast for a big guy. He appears more bulked than CK, reportedly with extremely low body fat, a superior specimen physically, though both are strong and fast and big.

However, I still expect, it being his forte, CK would win the race. Close but more times than not.
I base this on the rationale listed in the immediately preceding posts.
Let's hope they line up at the next all star skills competition, that's the only way to settle it!

Old
09-13-2012, 04:35 PM
bernmeister

Quote:

Fair enough, no problem to agree to disagree.

Just to be clear, allow me to briefly address your:
"But it seems like you are speaking of Kreider as if he has the untapped potential and Kane does not. Both of these guys are the same age, and to this point, Kane has demonstrated much more. If you want to talk about Kreiders potential, then you have to talk about Kane's potential. Are you saying that Kreider has more potential than Kane?"

Both obviously have untapped potential and similarities.

I'm simply saying you have an idea, a good idea, about Kane. He might exceed even these high expectations from his current lofty position, or he might plateau a bit. But my point is, you have an idea.

We don't really have an idea on Kreider.
Until we see him with Torts' shackles removed, we will not.

I'm flattered, not indignant or insulted at all the requests for Kreider.
However, an uber-elite exception aside, unless/until we even have a rough idea, we shouldn't trade him.

Best case scenario, the guy could turn into another Pavel Bure. That's a lot to hope for, admittedly, but having seen a couple of years of his development so far, it's not a total suspension of belief, either.

Old
09-13-2012, 04:35 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Let's hope they line up at the next all star skills competition, that's the only way to settle it!
You're on!!

Old
09-13-2012, 04:37 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
well said huff. Guess we'll have to chaclk it up to just a very different opinion on a players worth.

Bernmeister: Continuing this logic i am very suprised at how highly you value hagelin as well. your allowed to have your own viewpoint and opinions of players but,i'm quite confident, you would be very dissapointed in the returns of either hagelin or kreider and if i were to extrapolate (based on the value you are currently putting on stall, hagelin and kreider) i think you'll find yourself without a trade partner.

I won't get down on you for your valuation of your players, but i will say we might as well stop the back and forth.
Thank you for acknowledging my own right to my own opinion on valuation.

I don't mean to dis others, but I am happy to keep those 2, and not trade them, unless, I'm either overwhelmed or there is a real big upside.

Old
09-13-2012, 04:43 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongs21 View Post
There is no way the Jet's add a 1st here. how does 2 2nd's, more like 3rds since the Rangers will be finishing high = jets 1st?

Hagelin + Del Zotto + 1st

EKane + Postma

And I still doubt Chevy accepts this trade.
While I admit I would have preferred to add, and gotten something more, I'm still good with something around the basic package:
Hagelin + Del Zotto
for
EKane + Postma

although I'm getting that you want more.

How about
Stepan + Del Zotto
for
EKane + Postma

straight 2 for 2 thoughts?

Old
09-13-2012, 05:40 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
While I admit I would have preferred to add, and gotten something more, I'm still good with something around the basic package:
Hagelin + Del Zotto
for
EKane + Postma

although I'm getting that you want more.

How about
Stepan + Del Zotto
for
EKane + Postma

straight 2 for 2 thoughts?
Done!!!!

Old
09-14-2012, 11:57 AM
broc

Quote:
CK was drafted as a normal/thin kid, blessed with speed --- supposedly he had high level of speed for NHL level already when drafted. However, there was legit question how he'd fill out, and would that bulking slow that principal asset of skating speed. Additionally, the shooting looked promising, but we drafted this guy for what he does with his blades, not his stick.

Fast forward, and we now see this guy grew and kept speed, and it looks like he's developed a shot.
Really?
I seem to remember that Kreider was considered the physically best in shape guy that draft year. Thin/normal body? Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, he was one of the top physical specimens already..

Old
09-14-2012, 12:47 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by broc View Post
Really?
I seem to remember that Kreider was considered the physically best in shape guy that draft year. Thin/normal body? Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, he was one of the top physical specimens already..
Really, to within the context of what I'm emphasizing.
If you bunked with the guy or otherwise have some more direct knowledge of something more specific, I'm not disputing on that.

What I am emphasizing, which I said, is it is assumed a frame, especially a larger/taller frame will fill out. The younger the kid, the more he's likely to grow/fill.

Rangers drafted Kreider for his potential upside, knowing he was fast then, but unsure if addition to his frame would slow him down. Thankfully not.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:57 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
Done!!!!
The proposal

Stepan + Del Zotto
for
EKane + Postma

has been seconded.

Head count, please... Do/should the teams do it? I say yes.

Rangers gamble on speedy but green JT MIller replacing Stepan. Postma is righty, a plus, but way less than MDZ. However, you're adding EK!

Rangers would have to add, but I see something around Brian Boyle + to Hawks for D Dylan Olsen a move that alleviates some of the thinness at D the above trade creates, which is still worth it given what you add at W.

For Jets, it's one more solid addition to D, a lefty. Stepan is not a sniper but should get his opportunity goals, and is good at creating/setting up. They are giving up one premium piece for two very good pieces, one offensively at C and a backliner at D, suggesting possible improved balance overall.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Snowman

Nope. I wouldn't do it. Here's the easiest way to look at it. Kane is young and one of maybe 2 or 3 Jets that we absolutely DO NOT want to move under any circumstance.

So, you'd have to go to your team and look at the 1 or 2 players around Kane's age that you absolutely would NOT want to give up under any circumstance........... and then realize that you'd have to give up one or possibly even both to get close.

You may not agree with it, or like it, but that's the way it is.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:34 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Nope. I wouldn't do it. Here's the easiest way to look at it. Kane is young and one of maybe 2 or 3 Jets that we absolutely DO NOT want to move under any circumstance.

So, you'd have to go to your team and look at the 1 or 2 players around Kane's age that you absolutely would NOT want to give up under any circumstance........... and then realize that you'd have to give up one or possibly even both to get close.

You may not agree with it, or like it, but that's the way it is.
That's what he did first of all and of course we wouldn't give him up. This is more in the case he goes to management and asks them to trade him.

IMO the difference between Kane and Stepan is more than made up for by the difference between Postma and MDZ

Old
09-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
That's what he did first of all and of course we wouldn't give him up. This is more in the case he goes to management and asks them to trade him.

IMO the difference between Kane and Stepan is more than made up for by the difference between Postma and MDZ
Not for me. I'd want proven young scoring coming back. MDZ is decent and Stepan is meh... for Kane you need a name coming back. It would have to be someone who can now, or in the very near future replace the 30 goals... or we have zero offense.

Even if Kane asks for a trade, he has no leverage. So, there is no need to give him up for only a "good" package. Chevy ain't no Howson!

Closed Thread