HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anti-lockout protests in Buffalo and around the league

Old
09-12-2012, 12:09 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

vCash: 500
Anti-lockout protests in Buffalo and around the league

I just posted this to the main page, thinking maybe we could actually organize as a hockey community and do something that makes the news. This came out of the thread below on boycotting NHL sponsors, but I think this is a much cooler idea.

On October 11th at 7 PM local time, fans around the league stage protests at their arenas.

The fact is that two lockouts 6 years apart is too much. The league has seen massive revenue increases, and there's no reason for this. If the league got lucky by not inciting fan recalcitrance in the last lockout, this one is pushing the envelope too far. A lockout cannot be part of the league's normal business cycle so that owners and players can make childish proposals to each other.

So on October 11th, when you might otherwise be showing up to enjoy the home opener, gather for a half hour or so at your local arena and protest the shortsightedness of the NHL.

Some helpful hints:

- Post something on your home team's forum to organize HFBoards, as well as any other message boards that your team's fans frequent.
- Send out a few news releases to local media (like two weeks before to see if they play it up and get you a bigger crowd, then one week and finally the day before). There's nothing fancy about this, just google your local news media, search their site for where to send tips or press releases, and type up half a page detailing what is happening and leaving a contact number (preferably yours).
- Twitter, create facebook events (or post thing's to your team's wall), etc. Consider contacting the NHLFA at nhlfa.com to see if they have some resources for reaching out to your home crowd. Maybe brainstorm with your home team's message board to see if there are any resources for reaching out to local fans.
- Come up with 2-3 chants beforehand that can get a crowd united and make for a good news blurb. In Buffalo, e.g., we might change "Let's go Buff-a-lo" to "Let's go stay at home!" to send a message that the league is testing our loyalty.
- Make it visually stimulating. That's what gets on the news. Effigies of Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr are one great idea.
- Follow-up. If this lockout lasts into winter, think about wanting to maintain the network of fans you've contacted by getting a mailing list and maybe doing something in December if we're still waiting.

I'd love to see this take off, so I'm planting the idea here. Please consider spreading it as widely as possible. This lockout is an unnecessary, self-inflicted wound that I think has a greater potential to turn away fans than the last one did. This is probably the best way we can make ourselves vocal to the league about it.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:19 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Hey, I'm already boycotting a handful of NHL sponsors!

(the ones I don't use anyway)

Btw, I just paid my final installment of season tickets today. Yea, I did it.

Boycott!

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:35 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Is the sunshine raining down the hate or something? First the September 15th thread, now this one.

Yeah. Fans should boycott the lock out. That WILL get a lot done.

Isn't that like locking out the lockout?

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:43 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Is the sunshine raining down the hate or something? First the September 15th thread, now this one.

Yeah. Fans should boycott the lock out. That WILL get a lot done.

Isn't that like locking out the lockout?
It's so incredibly meta!!!

Nothing fans do changes anything one bit. They all know we'll be back.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Hank Moody
Easy, but not sleazy

I like the idea, I just don't see what it would accomplish.

Hank Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 07:22 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I like the idea, I just don't see what it would accomplish.
Potentially nothing, but it can't be measured that easily. Less tangibly:

- Raise the publicity level of the NHL lockout.

- Bad publicity gives sponsors more cause to reevaluate their investment, potentially lowers gate revenue (turning off the casual fan), and owners will have to take this into account.

- Gives the media a starting point to grill owners and players over their effects on the fans, giving this a chance to snowball into more serious bad publicity.

People like to be reductionist and say "the only thing that matters is the almighty dollar, so if it's not directly taking money out of the league's pocket, it's a nothing." That's just refusing to consider the indirect effects of publicity. I think if markets around the NHL all decided to sponsor their own little fan speak-back, protest, whatever, it would get great coverage. And negative press has profoundly powerful impact on entertainment industries. Look at how much money the NHL spends every year trying to get itself good press and argue to me that bad press doesn't matter. In fact, I guarantee you that within both negotiating camps, the war room is talking about bad publicity and how to minimize it. It has an impact on negotiations, because everybody knows it has an indirect impact on the league's financials.

Last edited by haseoke39: 09-12-2012 at 07:39 PM.
haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 06:54 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

This will be about as effective as the schmucks who went to sing happy birthday to Terry Pegula in an empty arena.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:05 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Not sure how to go about a boycott since this is 100% the players fault.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 09:29 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Not sure how to go about a boycott since this is 100% the players fault.
How do you figure that? The owners call the lockout, not the players. They are not on strike. They were prepared to work under the terms of the last CBA as a temporary measure while a new one gets resolved.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:16 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
How do you figure that? The owners call the lockout, not the players. They are not on strike. They were prepared to work under the terms of the last CBA as a temporary measure while a new one gets resolved.
Because the NHL is a business. If you are running a business and you have programs within your business that are dragging the entire business down, you remove the bad ones and move on with the good. The union is there to prevent this from happening, which is good. But, seeing as they save a number of jobs, they now need to make concessions. Unfortunately they are standing firm and this is harming the business.

I'm pro union when talking about low income jobs, but when they are in place to save millionaires from losing pay, they have jumped the shark. This is a clear case of a union abusing its power, unfortunately it isn't presented that way.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

I will be boycotting the boycott of the lockout.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:29 AM
stokes84

It is called a "lockout", but by not accepting the terms the NHL ha. offered, the players are essentially on strike. To me, those numbers are pretty freaking fair.

Old
09-13-2012, 11:36 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Because the NHL is a business. If you are running a business and you have programs within your business that are dragging the entire business down, you remove the bad ones and move on with the good. The union is there to prevent this from happening, which is good. But, seeing as they save a number of jobs, they now need to make concessions. Unfortunately they are standing firm and this is harming the business.

I'm pro union when talking about low income jobs, but when they are in place to save millionaires from losing pay, they have jumped the shark. This is a clear case of a union abusing its power, unfortunately it isn't presented that way.
Wait, let me get this straight, trying to save yourself from taking a 10% paycut is abusing power? It's not like they're asking for more money here.

Last edited by zbubble: 09-13-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old
09-13-2012, 11:44 AM
zbubble

Quote:
It is called a "lockout", but by not accepting the terms the NHL ha. offered, the players are essentially on strike. To me, those numbers are pretty freaking fair.
I'm in a union and my contract expired last year. My union hasn't accepted the terms of the current offer on the table, but under the Taylor Law we continue to work under the terms of our last contract. I still go to work every day and receive a paycheck. By your explanation of not accepting terms, this would mean I am on strike, and clearly that is not the case. What's different is my employer has not locked the door and told me to stay home.

And those numbers may seem fair to you, but your opinion is irrelevant. You probably work in a job where you can be replaced by someone else. These guys can't. They know they are the best of the world and they know that the fans pay the ticket prices they do _not_ just to see a hockey game, but to see a hockey game played by the best players in the world. Fans don't buy tickets at these prices so owners can make bigger and bigger profits.

Unless ticket prices go down, which they won't, or fans stop buying tickets, which they haven't, with the record revenues generated by the league, there's no rational reason for them to take that much of a paycut.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:02 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Wait, let me get this straight, trying to save yourself from taking a 10% paycut is abusing power? It's not like they're asking for more money here.
Yes, when you will still be getting paid better than 99% of the CEOs that unions were designed to protect labor forces from in the first place. Especially because your demands hurt the business you work for.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:06 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
If you're going to talk smack to other, get your definitions correct.

Lockout : The employer refuses to allow the employee to work.

Strike : The employee refuses to work for the employer.

In the current state of things, the players have offered to continue to work under the terms of the previous agreement, and continue to negotiate in good faith towards a new agreement. The owners are refusing to allow this, hence a lockout will occur, which again is the owners denying the employees the ability to work.

It doesn't matter what YOU think is fair. If your boss wanted to cut your pay by a percentage every couple years, you'd be unhappy too.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:09 PM
stokes84

Quote:
I'm in a union and my contract expired last year. My union hasn't accepted the terms of the current offer on the table, but under the Taylor Law we continue to work under the terms of our last contract. I still go to work every day and receive a paycheck. By your explanation of not accepting terms, this would mean I am on strike, and clearly that is not the case. What's different is my employer has not locked the door and told me to stay home.

And those numbers may seem fair to you, but your opinion is irrelevant. You probably work in a job where you can be replaced by someone else. These guys can't. They know they are the best of the world and they know that the fans pay the ticket prices they do _not_ just to see a hockey game, but to see a hockey game played by the best players in the world. Fans don't buy tickets at these prices so owners can make bigger and bigger profits.

Unless ticket prices go down, which they won't, or fans stop buying tickets, which they haven't, with the record revenues generated by the league, there's no rational reason for them to take that much of a paycut.
First off, you weren't given an ultimatum, so of course you're not on strike. Second, because they are in high demand, they can go play somewhere else if they don't like the terms.

Like I said, I am pro union when it's called for, but stopping millionaires from taking a paycut is not the spirit of what unions are intended to do.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:12 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

The amount of money the players make isn't relevant in the context of their rights in this matter.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:15 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
If you're going to talk smack to other, get your definitions correct.

Lockout : The employer refuses to allow the employee to work.

Strike : The employee refuses to work for the employer.

In the current state of things, the players have offered to continue to work under the terms of the previous agreement, and continue to negotiate in good faith towards a new agreement. The owners are refusing to allow this, hence a lockout will occur, which again is the owners denying the employees the ability to work.

It doesn't matter what YOU think is fair. If your boss wanted to cut your pay by a percentage every couple years, you'd be unhappy too.
The owners offered a new cba in good faith but the players refused to accept it because the players wouldn't budge from their expired salaries despite the knowledge that it was hurting the business. See, I can spin it too.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:16 PM
stokes84

Quote:
The amount of money the players make isn't relevant in the context of their rights in this matter.
It's relevant to why we have unions in the first place.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:20 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
The owners offered a new cba in good faith but the players refused to accept it because the players wouldn't budge from their expired salaries despite the knowledge that it was hurting the business. See, I can spin it too.
LOLWUT?

At existing salary levels, the league as a whole is generating record revenues, and record profits. The players aren't the one hurting the business.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:25 PM
stokes84

Quote:
LOLWUT?

At existing salary levels, the league as a whole is generating record revenues, and record profits. The players aren't the one hurting the business.
Record revenues? Yes. Record profits? No. The league reportedly lost $240 million over the last two seasons IIRC.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:28 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

The league as a whole lost money because it continues to prop up teams in markets that cannot and will not support them. That's not the fault of the players.

The NHLPA has proposed a revenue sharing system that keeps all 30 teams financially healthy, and allows everyone to make money. The NHL refuses to even talk about it.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:33 PM
stokes84

Quote:
The league as a whole lost money because it continues to prop up teams in markets that cannot and will not support them. That's not the fault of the players.

The NHLPA has proposed a revenue sharing system that keeps all 30 teams financially healthy, and allows everyone to make money. The NHL refuses to even talk about it.
Right, and as I said originally, in any normal business, they would cut out the tumor, and the union is there to stop them from doing that. So the union gets this concesssion, now it's their turn to make concessions. Revenue sharing is a veil to cover the fact that the union doesn't want to negotiate.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:36 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Right, and as I said originally, in any normal business, they would cut out the tumor, and the union is there to stop them from doing that. So the union gets this concesssion, now it's their turn to make concessions. Revenue sharing is a veil to cover the fact that the union doesn't want to negotiate.
You mean the union that, right now, IS OFFERING TO TAKE LESS MONEY? The union that IS MAKING CONCESSIONS TO TRY AND MAKE A WORKABLE DEAL?