HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Shane Doan II... Doan you forget about me....

Old
08-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I have this feeling that the idea of Doan on the Sabres would be a lot better than what Doan would actually bring to the team.

And then there is the ridiculous price tag....
The price tag is absolutely ridiculous and makes us look desperate you're absolutely right, it's a move for the future like Jame said more than anything.

More than anything, we need to start winning.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
(disclaimer : there is plenty of evidence that the Darcy/Pegula approach is exactly what you fear, and they don't see the big picture the way i do)
They should totally hire you!

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
The price tag is absolutely ridiculous and makes us look desperate you're absolutely right, it's a move for the future like Jame said more than anything.

More than anything, we need to start winning.
More than anything, we need to start developing winners

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Drury caught Winner Disease from Sakic and Bourque, and brought it to Buffalo, how come it didn't infect the core?

Who infected Doan with Winner Disease?

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:16 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Drury caught Winner Disease from Sakic and Bourque, and brought it to Buffalo, how come it didn't infect the core?

This is a great point, this strategy didnt work last time, why will it this time?

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Like I said before, I don't like the price for Doan but adding someone of his character would be good for the kids. I also never said he was a winner, because frankly, he's not, but what he is is a good role model for the young kids that are developing and a good leader that could help bring this team results during the season and perhaps in the playoffs.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:17 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
I have this feeling that the idea of Doan on the Sabres would be a lot better than what Doan would actually bring to the team.

And then there is the ridiculous price tag....
It fits very well logically but it would be his first ever season in the EC, at 36 years old, in a tough division. Some major risks there so I can see your point.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 06:49 AM
slip

Quote:

Ray Whitney?

Doan, Regehr, Grier, Rivet -- great players/leaders, but a little pass their prime when Buffalo comes a knockin.'

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:32 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:

Drury was a born and bred winner, if he hadn't signed with Rangers and gone on to a better club then he'd have a lot more rings. I am a complete Drury homer though, since I watched the NJD-COL SC final, he was amazing during that.

I think Buffalo was a winning team with a great core but I dont think we had and element X that is required to win, at the moment it's toughness and grit. Can't remember what it was then.

Old
08-29-2012, 07:33 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Ray Whitney?

Doan, Regehr, Grier, Rivet -- great players/leaders, but a little pass their prime when Buffalo comes a knockin.'
This is also true, as much as it pains me that list is probably only about 10% full as well. I think Myers could be our next great leader.

Old
08-29-2012, 07:58 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

i have a feeling if Doan were to sign in Buffalo the Sabres would be trading away significant contracts.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Drury was a born and bred winner, if he hadn't signed with Rangers and gone on to a better club then he'd have a lot more rings. I am a complete Drury homer though, since I watched the NJD-COL SC final, he was amazing during that.

I think Buffalo was a winning team with a great core but I dont think we had and element X that is required to win, at the moment it's toughness and grit. Can't remember what it was then.
toughness and grit

Old
08-29-2012, 08:28 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
i have a feeling if Doan were to sign in Buffalo the Sabres would be trading away significant contracts.
I wonder what contracts they could move given that not too many team have cap/budget space.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:33 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
I wonder what contracts they could move given that not too many team have cap/budget space.
Exactly.

Based on the latest NHL proposal, 16 teams would be over the new cap today. Doesn't leave a whole lot of place to dump salary, and not all of those bottom teams would be keen to take on a lot of cash unless the revenue sharing system is revamped, which the owners don't seem to want to do.

Everything about this 4/$30 deal stinks when looked at through the lens of CBA uncertainty.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:38 AM
ceky

maybe i miss something but how can we even think about signing someone to a 7M+ contract when we are allready over the presumed new cap ceiling?

plus, i think it will be much harder to get rid of some of the contracts when there is really a cap of less than 60M next season. leopolds trade valuer will be much lower when amost everyone will have to shed some salary.

edit: ... or what beechsack said. TIL i'm typing way to slow

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Exactly.

Based on the latest NHL proposal, 16 teams would be over the new cap today. Doesn't leave a whole lot of place to dump salary, and not all of those bottom teams would be keen to take on a lot of cash unless the revenue sharing system is revamped, which the owners don't seem to want to do.

Everything about this 4/$30 deal stinks when looked at through the lens of CBA uncertainty.
Do you really think they are going to come to an agreement that leaves 16 teams over the cap?

Old
08-29-2012, 10:04 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
toughness and grit
Lol, fair play, but we could get a damn site further without any back then.

Old
08-29-2012, 10:12 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Do you really think they are going to come to an agreement that leaves 16 teams over the cap?
The original proposal had something like 20 teams over the cap. The updated one is 16.

I have no doubt a good chunk of teams are going to be over the line when it's finally set. The league is clearly taking a hard stance on this.

Old
08-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The original proposal had something like 20 teams over the cap. The updated one is 16.

I have no doubt a good chunk of teams are going to be over the line when it's finally set. The league is clearly taking a hard stance on this.
And if they don't budge from that, the more likely outcome isn't having half the league over the cap, it's having no hockey.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:24 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
And if they don't budge from that, the more likely outcome isn't having half the league over the cap, it's having no hockey.
They've already acknowledged that by promising a lockout before negotiations really even started.

Old
08-29-2012, 08:48 PM
thomas vanek

not sure if anyone caught this, but Paul Bissonnette of the Coyotes was on the FAN590 in Toronto yesterday and not only confirmed that Shane Doan had been offered 30 million "heavily front-loaded" by Buffalo, but also said that it would be "hard to turn down". As someone who would probably be in contact with the captain of his team, I found this quite interesting.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/on_demand/

thomas vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Lol...........................

We're so screwed.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
In an interview with a Phoenix radio station, Coyotes captain Shane Doan revealed some good news for Coyotes fans.

One, that prospective owner Greg Jamison has secured the money to purchase the Coyotes and two, that he's agreed to a new deal with the team; he's just waiting on Jamison to acquire the team to make it official.

“My goal has been to stay here the whole time,” Doan told radio station XTRA 910 in Phoenix. “Don and Tip and the organization have been great. We have a deal worked out that we just want to make sure that the team gets signed and that everything gets done and it gets done before the 15th.”

Doan went on to say that Jamison has the funds to complete the deal to purchase the Coyotes and is optimistic it will go through soon.

“Mr. Jamison has the money. Mr. Bettman has said its all good, according to the NHL, and it's going to go through. It's just a matter of getting the lease agreement done now. Obviously that was done earlier. Now there are some things they decided they wanted to change, which obviously can delay things. With that being said, I think that Mr. Jamison and the league have stated it's really up to Glendale and Glendale, they had it done for a while.”
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404699

Finally, the three months of foreplay are over. I don't know which was worse - the Kaberle-to-Buffalo rumors/theories/debates of 2009 or the Doan-to-Buffalo scenarios of this summer.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:48 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

YAAAAAAAY! Sorry very happy we're not wasting $30mill over 4 seasons or whatever it was. I wanted him, not at that price though (I'm sure I made that clear, heh).

Seriously though, good for him. It's what he wanted and there isn't enough loyalty these days.

Old
09-07-2012, 07:26 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Still, the more the Sabres name is associated with big names, the better. Not going to strike out every time.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote