HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Detroit Red Wings Prospect #16

View Poll Results: Who is #16?
Adam Almqvist 11 15.71%
Andreas Athanasiou 3 4.29%
Louis-Marc Aubry 13 18.57%
Mattias Backman 28 40.00%
Mitchell Callahan 1 1.43%
Landon Ferraro 7 10.00%
Brian Lashoff 2 2.86%
Richard Nedomlel 1 1.43%
Max Nicastro 0 0%
Alan Quine 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-25-2012, 03:02 PM
  #26
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Um.... We know Osgood had a lot to do with it, the Wings have said as much rather publically. He is a big athletic kid that had a very good second half and playoffs. I am not a fan of drafting goalies that high but that doesn't mean I am just going to say he sucks forever because I don't like it. There is still a lot about Paterson to like as far as a goalie prospect and we still need to improve our goaltending depth because what if Mrazek turns into McCollum at the pro level..
One thing most of us can agree on is we absolutely needed to draft a goalie given what an epic bomb McCollum has become. I didn't like picking a goalie that high in the draft but at least Paterson has solid size and looked good heading into the draft. I'm not going to pretend I have the slightest idea how he'll turn out, goalies are fickle like that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I like Aubry and watch a lot of the griffs but his ultimate ceiling is a Paul Gaustad type of player. With all the griffs games I've watched theres no way I can see Aubry as a higher rated prospect then Ferraro really. Everyone thinks hes a bust cause he isnt a scorer but hes looking like a bottom 6 type guy for sure

And AA shouldnt be considered ahead of most of these guys, I wouldnt even consider him above Callahan really. Everyone reads about his nice fancy hands and speed but he is the wings softest player in the entire organization.
I agree on Aubry and have no problem at all with that projection. With Ferraro everyone expected more given his father was a 400 goal scorer. Will Landon ever develop that type of scoring ability? It seems like far too long of a long shot to even take seriously at this point.

With Athanasiou I think the part that is most intriguing is he has Darren Helm speed but can actually score goals. The Wings always say you can teach a guy to play defense but you cannot teach him skill. While I don't ever expect Ferraro to be a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL I think that is still possible with Athansiou and he could be a force on the PK given his speed and hands. So speed and offensive skill are the main reasons why people are intrigued by Athanasiou and I hope his experience in London made a lasting impression on him as far as how he needs to play the game.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:07 PM
  #27
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,376
vCash: 500
A little more on Athanasiou from a recent NHL.com article.

Quote:
One aspect of Athanasiou's game that is a certain talking point among scouts is his ability as a penalty killer.

"Penalty killing is definitely one of my strengths, because of my quickness," he said. "I can close up the passing lanes for the other team and I can get in and out of the open areas, so I guess I can close in on that one man and make up for it with my quickness.

"I feel I can create a little offensively with the puck when I gain my speed and drive down ice, and can kill a lot of time."

Athanasiou played a big role on the penalty-kill for Canada at the 2011 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament, finishing with three goals and four points in three games.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:13 PM
  #28
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
One thing most of us can agree on is we absolutely needed to draft a goalie given what an epic bomb McCollum has become. I didn't like picking a goalie that high in the draft but at least Paterson has solid size and looked good heading into the draft. I'm not going to pretend I have the slightest idea how he'll turn out, goalies are fickle like that.

I wanted a goalie higher than that, like the 2nd. I wanted Dansk. But goalie was a need.



Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I agree on Aubry and have no problem at all with that projection. With Ferraro everyone expected more given his father was a 400 goal scorer. Will Landon ever develop that type of scoring ability? It seems like far too long of a long shot to even take seriously at this point.
Ferraro will be a fringe NHLer IMO. A guy that can come up and provide speed, like Nathan Robinson.

Aubry statements, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
With Athanasiou I think the part that is most intriguing is he has Darren Helm speed but can actually score goals. The Wings always say you can teach a guy to play defense but you cannot teach him skill. While I don't ever expect Ferraro to be a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL I think that is still possible with Athansiou and he could be a force on the PK given his speed and hands. So speed and offensive skill are the main reasons why people are intrigued by Athanasiou and I hope his experience in London made a lasting impression on him as far as how he needs to play the game.
AA could develop into a Helm/Draper kind of player. Speed with no hands. He's got great moves for Junior, but even there he isn't consistent enough.

I am hoping that projection changes though.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:13 PM
  #29
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
I like the fact that Athanasiou is moving to a team where he'll be able to play a lot more. I'm less enthused about the way it went down - when a guy who hasn't really accomplished anything demands a trade, well, I dunno how I feel about that. Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come if he ends up being good enough for the NHL.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:15 PM
  #30
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
One thing most of us can agree on is we absolutely needed to draft a goalie given what an epic bomb McCollum has become. I didn't like picking a goalie that high in the draft but at least Paterson has solid size and looked good heading into the draft. I'm not going to pretend I have the slightest idea how he'll turn out, goalies are fickle like that.
Count me in the "not agreeing" camp.

I've been quite vocal about my opposition to drafting goalies at all, and especially not using anything higher than a 5th round pick on one. They just don't pan out at a rate that justifies the selection. Even though I agree that McCollum is probably a bust, there are a number of alternatives to drafting goalies in the early rounds and they all have the same probability of eventually turning into a good NHL starter.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:22 PM
  #31
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Count me in the "not agreeing" camp.

I've been quite vocal about my opposition to drafting goalies at all, and especially not using anything higher than a 5th round pick on one. They just don't pan out at a rate that justifies the selection. Even though I agree that McCollum is probably a bust, there are a number of alternatives to drafting goalies in the early rounds and they all have the same probability of eventually turning into a good NHL starter.
Yeah, I know your views on this topic. I have no problem drafting a goalie but like you would prefer he be picked later in the draft.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:59 PM
  #32
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,791
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I like the fact that Athanasiou is moving to a team where he'll be able to play a lot more. I'm less enthused about the way it went down - when a guy who hasn't really accomplished anything demands a trade, well, I dunno how I feel about that. Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come if he ends up being good enough for the NHL.
I think this is a big move for him. Hoping like Quine it jump starts his offense. Not a huge fan of how it went down either, but it needed to happen. What I find interesting is that he had to demand it in the first place. The Hunter's complained about his game enough you would think moving him was on their to do list as well. By the way could be the Wings told him to ask for a trade and it isn't all Athanasiou.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 04:07 PM
  #33
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,791
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Ferraro will be a fringe NHLer IMO. A guy that can come up and provide speed, like Nathan Robinson.

Aubry statements, I agree.
Ferraro looked like a very solid third line future NHL player. He still has a sneaky shot, where Andersson offensive breakout seemed to come out of nowhere because of hard work, Ferraro has a skill set where I expect a big jump in points soon in the AHL. He scores timely goals also and is finally fully healthy and you could see his confidence kick in about half way through last year. His speed is above average for the NHL level and almost close to elite fast. He picked up his physical play and steped up to protect teammates from time to time. He is one of those guys that I am very intrested to see this year as his game is progressing really nicely. The move out to the wing seems to have helped, he regained a lot of my faith last year when watching the Griffins. I don't know that he will ever be top 6, but I have hard time seeing him not being an NHL regular at some point soon as long as the injuries don't come back in a big way.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 04:18 PM
  #34
grsbmd
Registered User
 
grsbmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 286
vCash: 500
Well, it looks like I may be stuck on Lashoff for a while. He's going to be our first call-up this year on D, he plays lots of minutes in Grand Rapids, and should be stronger now coming off an injury.

I'm no Malik, but I think he has decent bottom-pairing potential at the NHL level.

grsbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:14 PM
  #35
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,230
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
add paterson

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 07:28 PM
  #36
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,166
vCash: 500
Rule #1: Never ever bet against Swedish, in any situation.

Applying this to McCollum thing, should have picked Markström instead.. wasn't Håkan pretty high on him.

For me, McCollum is bust until proven otherwise. He can bounce back though, goalies are so weird that way.

Next draft has some good goalies coming, I think, upcoming competition for Mrazek and Patterson.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:39 PM
  #37
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,548
vCash: 500
Aubry is so underrated.

He's huge, and he is actually physical. He hits and hits hard. And he's a good skater. And he's sound defensively. This season is important for him, if he's given a bigger role offensively which he should, he could flourish and if he does he'll comfortably move into our top 10 prospects.

People need to realise last season he was virtually used as a 4th line centre who just went out there to hit people and avoid being scored on. There were many, many games where his line of Parkes and Callahan were dominant and controlled the play. With more ice time, more time on the special units to show off his skills, he could become a very, very solid prospect.

He's also got a great attitude which will serve him well. Like the guy a lot.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:41 PM
  #38
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsbmd View Post
Well, it looks like I may be stuck on Lashoff for a while. He's going to be our first call-up this year on D, he plays lots of minutes in Grand Rapids, and should be stronger now coming off an injury.

I'm no Malik, but I think he has decent bottom-pairing potential at the NHL level.
I've seen a lot of Lashoff and I honestly think he sucks. People bag Kindl for being clueless at times, Lashoff is x10 worse, and not nearly as good a skater.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.