Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Abbortsford Heat for Sale?

Old
08-18-2012, 08:31 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Abbortsford Heat for Sale?

Will the Calgary Flames sell it's AHL affiliate?

http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...793/story.html]

Honestly, our AHL affiliate should be in Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, or Red Deer. Maybe Regina or Saskatoon. Or better yet... Calgary!

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Feel The Heat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Will the Calgary Flames sell it's AHL affiliate?

http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...793/story.html]

Honestly, our AHL affiliate should be in Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, or Red Deer. Maybe Regina or Saskatoon. Or better yet... Calgary!
This.

It would be nice to attend AHL games. I think an AHL team would be supported well without hurting Hitmen attendance.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

I'd imagine it would hurt the Hitmen slightly. It would interefere with their schedule if they played in the dome, and would detract from the talent we already have here. Especially if the hitmen struggled.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

I'll buy it. Move em to Atlanta, use the A.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:19 PM
thrillhouse99

vCash: 500
Dont the flames own the hitmen as well? I can't see them bringing in another team at the risk of harming the hitmen.

Plus im not sure calgary is quite big enough to support an AHL team along with the NHL and WHL. And the other cities mentioned all have WHL teams and they probably wouldn't want to harm them, especially considering that the chiliwack bruins were already moved to make room for the heat where they are at.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
As the Canucks farm team, they will draw more than 2,500 for a regular season game, let alone playoffs.

It's a good business decision to sell, IMO. Unfortunately, the Flames have had a real string of bad luck with farm teams lately.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:11 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Move em to Lethbridge

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
I'd support them being moved to Lethbridge, then I'd be able to catch their home games. Don't know how that would impact the (Lethbridge - WHL) Hurricanes, though.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:01 PM
MarkGio

I think Regina would be best. It has a WHL team, but it has 200K people and could support another team. Plus the Sask economy is good.

Old
08-19-2012, 01:11 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
I would be sad to not see anymore flames prospect games but this has to happen no one goes to the games it is dead. Hopefully we can move our ahl team some where outside of bc so people will actually go watch.

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
I'd imagine it would hurt the Hitmen slightly. It would interefere with their schedule if they played in the dome, and would detract from the talent we already have here. Especially if the hitmen struggled.
They could play a number of games in the Corral. Great place to watch hockey. Remember buying standing room only tickets for $10.00 to watch the Flames.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:16 PM
MarkGio

What about somewhere in Montana? Billings or Great Falls perhaps? I know Montana is crazy about their football, but having the Heat only a few hours away would help for call-ups, development, etc.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
What about somewhere in Montana? Billings or Great Falls perhaps? I know Montana is crazy about their football, but having the Heat only a few hours away would help for call-ups, development, etc.
You want them relatively close to a major airport, otherwise call-ups can be quite difficult. I remember a few years back when the Flames tried to call up someone from Omaha and it took the player (can't remember who, offhand) two days to meet up with the team...

Might as well just take up the spot vacated in Chicago if the Canucks team moves to Abbotsford.

Old
08-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
As the Canucks farm team, they will draw more than 2,500 for a regular season game, let alone playoffs.

It's a good business decision to sell, IMO. Unfortunately, the Flames have had a real string of bad luck with farm teams lately.
Actually, strictly from a business point of view, the Flames would be nuts to terminate their 10-year contract with the city of Abbotsford.

Quote:
The Heat contract with the City of Abbotsford is a 10-year deal. The contract guarantees the Heat will reach a break even point of $5.7 million each season. If the team does not reach the break-even point, the city pays the difference. The city has had to pay the hockey team close to $1.8 million in its first two seasons of play.
The Heat and by extension, the Flames organization, can't lose a single cent during the length of the agreement. It's an incredible deal.

On the flip side, it's from a purely optical point of view that selling makes sense. The team doesn't draw many fans and the city of Abbotsford hates the deal and is looking for a way out, a logical decision given how much money they've lost.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

My vote would be Regina, Medicine Hat 2nd.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

My vote would be Regina, Medicine Hat 2nd.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:16 PM
jammyrft

vCash: 500
Canuck fan here coming in peace

I've been to 4 Heat games since they've came to Abbotsford but to only watch the Nuck's farm teams. I never understood why the Flames would choose to out their farm team in the Nuck's back yard. It's equally crappy that our farm team is in Chicago (figure that one out!)

I would assume it would be beneficial for both the flames and Nucks if the heat sold the team and moved closer to home. I can garuntee the games would be sold out almost every night

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:06 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post

I've been to 4 Heat games since they've came to Abbotsford but to only watch the Nuck's farm teams. I never understood why the Flames would choose to out their farm team in the Nuck's back yard. It's equally crappy that our farm team is in Chicago (figure that one out!)

I would assume it would be beneficial for both the flames and Nucks if the heat sold the team and moved closer to home. I can garuntee the games would be sold out almost every night
Beneficial in the sense that they would have more fans? Yes of course, Beneficial finically? no as it stands it is impossible for the heat (flames) to lose money on their farm team for the next 8 years.

They choose Abbotsford because of the amazing contract they were given and it is much closer to the Flames than many of the other ahl teams it makes alot of sense.

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:14 PM
MarkGio

Yeah obviously keeping a financially beneficial contract is more important than having fans in the seats. The Heat have 8 years to put fans in the seats. More importantly, they have 8 years to ensure proper development of prospects.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:15 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post

I think the last thing Ken King is thinking about is the benefits going towards the Canucks organization....

Old
08-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Actually, strictly from a business point of view, the Flames would be nuts to terminate their 10-year contract with the city of Abbotsford.

The Heat and by extension, the Flames organization, can't lose a single cent during the length of the agreement. It's an incredible deal.

On the flip side, it's from a purely optical point of view that selling makes sense. The team doesn't draw many fans and the city of Abbotsford hates the deal and is looking for a way out, a logical decision given how much money they've lost.
I guess it depends - if someone's financial analysis shows that the Flames won't make money in the next 8 years, and they can sell the team at a profit, then it still makes sense to sell. You'd also think it has to be a bit mentally draining on the prospects to play in front of... nobody.

It could easily boil down to sell now and walk away with some money, walk away 8 years from now and break even - and still have to find a new home, or stay, and eat some big losses.

As for a potential relocation for the team... Saskatoon.

Old
08-20-2012, 11:10 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I guess it depends - if someone's financial analysis shows that the Flames won't make money in the next 8 years, and they can sell the team at a profit, then it still makes sense to sell. You'd also think it has to be a bit mentally draining on the prospects to play in front of... nobody.

It could easily boil down to sell now and walk away with some money, walk away 8 years from now and break even - and still have to find a new home, or stay, and eat some big losses.

As for a potential relocation for the team... Saskatoon.
Yeah the city covering any shortfall is likely to just help the team break even.

If the team stands to make a profit closer to home, then they should be relocated.

Saskatoon would make a lot of sense or even Regina, Lethbridge has been mentioned as well.

All seem like reasonable locations, I have a feeling they would sell a ton of tickets in Saskatchewan though.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

One of Lethbridge or Regina would make the most sense. Maybe Red Deer

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:47 AM
goodsauce

Guys, whats all this with Leth or Regina? Clearly the logical choice would be to put the farm team in..... wait for it.....

Edmonton

But seriously Leth or Regina would be decent.

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Saskatoon (SaskPlace) capacity over 14,000, population around 200,000, international airport.

Regina (Brant Centre) capacity around 6,000, population around 200,000, international airport.

Lethbridge (Enmax Centre) capacity around 5,500, population around 80,000, regional airport.

While Lethbridge would be the desirable location (from a fan's perspective) it's terrible from a business / hockey operations perspective. Regina would work, but I don't think their arena is up to standard. That leaves Saskatoon, site of a sold-out (or close to?) preseason game a few years back.

That said, the Flames will try something out of left field and put a farm team in Sacramento or something...