HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Which prospect will be the best goal scorer at the NHL level?

View Poll Results: Which prospect will be the best goal scorer at the NHL level?
Gustav Nyquist 8 11.27%
Calle Jarnkrok 4 5.63%
Tomas Tatar 4 5.63%
Riley Sheahan 1 1.41%
Tomas Jurco 31 43.66%
Teemu Pulkkinen 8 11.27%
Martin Frk 10 14.08%
Marek Trvdon 4 5.63%
Landon Ferraro 1 1.41%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Which prospect will be the best goal scorer at the NHL level?

I did a thread similar to this last year, with pts instead of goals, and people seemed to like it. So I ask who among our group of prospects do you guys project to be the best goal scorer at the NHL level? (goals only)

For me it is between Jurco and Frk.

I think Frk has one of the best shots among all of our prospects, he is willing to go to the hard areas of the ice to score, and he said he wants to play a power forward's game. When he was drafted RWC said he is basically a bigger harder shooting Pulkkinen, so there is a lot to like.

To me I think Jurco wins and projects as the best goal scorer at the NHL level. He has size, speed, hands, and a shot. I think he has the best goal scoring potential of any of our prospects at the NHL level, and once he fills out physically will start really showing what he can do.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Harnessed in Slums

This is awesome. I went with Jurco, he seems to have the best overall potential. Whether he'll live up to that potential is something we'll find out over the years but when he's being compared to Marian Hossa I have to give him the nod right now.

Harnessed in Slums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:01 AM
P U L L H A R D
#shewenttoharvard

vCash: 420
I think Tatar just based on the fact that he is close to making the NHL now, and shoots more than most of the others, from what I've seen. Skilled little guy that should be a top 6er for a long time.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:37 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
I'm hoping it's Jurco. He's our best hope for a 40 goal scorer from what's currently in the pipeline.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:04 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Let's compare our prospect slovaks/czechs

Tatar
16 year old - 33G 44 A for U18 team
17 year old 41G 35A for U 20 team (42Games)
18 year old - 7 g 8 A for Men's league team, 7+4 in 11 games at WJC
19 year old - 16+16 at AHL
20 year old - 24+33 at AHL
21 year old - 24+34 at AHL

Tvrdon
16 year old 50+33 at Slovak U18
17 year old 25+31 at Slovak U20
18 year old 6+5 at WHL (12 games)
19 year old 31+43 at WHL (3+1 in 6 games at WJC)

Jurco
16 year old 28+24 U-18 Slovakia
17 year old 19+30 at U-20 Slovakia
18 year old 26+26 at QMJHL
19 year old 31+25 at QMJHL
20-year-old 30+38 at QMJHL (1+7 in 8 games at WJC)

Martin Frk
16-year-old 28+30 at U-20 Czech
17 year old 22+28 at QMJHL
18 year old 16+13 at QMJHL (34 games)

It's tough to say based simply on stats..
But I think in terms of pure goal scoring, Jurco is probably the worst of these four

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Marky9er

I'm taking a darkhorse, Marek Tvrdon. I think he has that Hossa like potential as well, and I could see him banging a lot of rebounds home on top of sniping a bunch from the wing.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

I went with Jurco. I guess we'll see what he can do at the pro level in GR this year.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
But I think in terms of pure goal scoring, Jurco is probably the worst of these four
How did you come to that conclusion?
Jurco had 30 goals in 48 games played, and 13 goals in 16 playoff games last year in the Q.
Going beyond stats he probably has the best physical tools among prospects to project as a goal scorer at higher levels.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I went with the homerun pick and took Pulkkinen. For the worry about his skating, and his stat slide last year (though goal scoring across that league, and on his team, seemed to be down a bit), the guy seems to like to shoot the puck. I think he makes it and just his willingness to launch pucks at the net will put him over the top.

08-25-2012, 12:58 PM
InjuredChoker

I haven't seen much of Frk or Tvrdon to say yada or nada about them. Pulkkinen certainly has the tools but Jurco has more. I just want to see more grit from Jurco and consistency.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

If all of them got the same chance (2nd line winger/center for instance?) I think Tvrdon would be the best goal scorer. Jurco would have the highest point total. It's the only way I can look at it. It's tough to judge who will get the best opportunity and ice time, and obviously that's going to be the big deal.

Kronwalled55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 01:57 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
I like that Tvrdon scores in a variety of different ways. He is big with an NHL body already and doesn't have any skating isues. I really think he will continue to get better and better. Some question his consistency level like Jurco gets from time to time, I have not seen a problem there. I think his ceiling is extremely high and I am very hopeful he meets it. With his size he could be pretty unstoppable if it all comes together.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:01 PM
FabricDetails

The YouTube guy who doesn't like the name "The YouTube Guy".

Add Ehrhardt. Teh-heh.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:09 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Let's compare our prospect slovaks/czechs

Tatar
16 year old - 33G 44 A for U18 team
17 year old 41G 35A for U 20 team (42Games)
18 year old - 7 g 8 A for Men's league team, 7+4 in 11 games at WJC
19 year old - 16+16 at AHL
20 year old - 24+33 at AHL
21 year old - 24+34 at AHL

Tvrdon
16 year old 50+33 at Slovak U18
17 year old 25+31 at Slovak U20
18 year old 6+5 at WHL (12 games)
19 year old 31+43 at WHL (3+1 in 6 games at WJC)

Jurco
16 year old 28+24 U-18 Slovakia
17 year old 19+30 at U-20 Slovakia
18 year old 26+26 at QMJHL
19 year old 31+25 at QMJHL
20-year-old 30+38 at QMJHL (1+7 in 8 games at WJC)

Martin Frk
16-year-old 28+30 at U-20 Czech
17 year old 22+28 at QMJHL
18 year old 16+13 at QMJHL (34 games)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Jurco had 30 goals in 48 games played, and 13 goals in 16 playoff games last year in the Q.
Going beyond stats he probably has the best physical tools among prospects to project as a goal scorer at higher levels.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Junior scoring numbers aren't a particularly good indicator of NHL scoring potential. Ask Evan McGrath, or a thousand other guys whose junior numbers didn't translate to the pros.

I think Jurco has the best chance to carry his scoring to the NHL level because he's got the combination of size and speed and hasn't had any injury issues thus far. The other guys all have red flags of one sort or another - size, speed, injuries, etc.

We won't really know until they get more time in at the AHL/NHL level, but my money is on Jurco at this point.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:24 PM
VanBrett

vCash: 802
Frk and it's not even frk'in close ( Sorry had to )

TBH, it's either Jurco or Frk though.

VanBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:41 PM
pdd

Pulkkinen. He doesn't have the all around game the other "top prospects" do, but he's got a real knack for scoring goals that should translate well to the North American game.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:52 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Pulkkinen. He doesn't have the all around game the other "top prospects" do, but he's got a real knack for scoring goals that should translate well to the North American game.
I hope you're right, but it is worth mentioning he has not cracked the 20 goal mark over in SM-Liiga. His knack for goal scoring to date is a little overblown his only staggering goal totals for a season played came at the junior level in Finland.

Old
08-25-2012, 05:20 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Depends on the linemates. If Jurco somehow makes it onto Pav's wing at any point in his career, there you go. But it's all so reliant upon who has the best passer beside them. Jurco's got a shot, but you know what, so does Pav. Pav has one of the sickest wristers in the league to me, so smooth and accurate. But he rarely chooses to really use it. He's a pass first guy and Jurco looks like he may turn into a passing player at the NHL level. I'd love to see him just rip 270 shots at a goalie with a good passer on his line. Who knows. I'd say Jurco though if I had to pick on potential.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:31 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

It is worth noting that Frk is the biggest shoot first player in this discussion in my opinion. The other guys have more of a playmaking element that might see them defer. I don't see Frk ever becoming one of those guys even as he makes his way into the professional ranks, I still think he is going to be shoot first. Actually would proabably put Tatar second as far as willing shooters. Will be interesting to see how trigger happy Jurco is in Grand Rapids this year. I know it wasn't huge numbers but I thougt Nyquist logging almost three shots on goal a game was a positive sign in a rookie camaign. Both Tatar and Nyquist seem more inclined to take shots than I remember Hudler or Filppula ever being.

Old
08-25-2012, 07:42 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanMasher View Post
Depends on the linemates. If Jurco somehow makes it onto Pav's wing at any point in his career, there you go. But it's all so reliant upon who has the best passer beside them. Jurco's got a shot, but you know what, so does Pav.
Datsyuk was serving the goal-scorer role to Hudler's playmaker pretty well in February 2011 when he played with Hudler and Cleary. Dats had 7-5-12 (5-3-8 ES) in 11 games and Hudler had 4-10-14 (4-9-13 ES) in those same 11 games. Hudler assisted on three ES Datsyuk goals and five ES Cleary goals, with the first assist on all but two goals.

Chemistry and linemates matter, but what also matters is role/style and how your linemates are playing. Hudler and Modano never worked out because their playing styles are too far apart; you could stick Alex Ovechkin, Pavel Datsyuk, and Ryan Getzlaf on a line together and despite the ridiculous level of skill the line would not be nearly as good as it *should* be. Datsyuk is the ultimate puck possession player in the league right now, Ovechkin is a carry the puck, me-against-the-world type, and Gaborik is the classic speedster-sniper. The line would no doubt produce ridiculous offense, but it's hardly an ideal match for any of the players.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 12:14 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Went with Jurco, but I'm not very confident in that choice. Frk is up there. Tvrdon is a dark horse. On the other hand, all 3 may bust completely, and it may end up being Nyquist, with a modest 20-25 a year. I hope we have a 30-goal scorer in this stable, but, at this point, I can't point to any of them and say I expect 30 a year. Maybe from Pulkkinen.... in Finland.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 03:16 AM
joe89

Stats up 'til this point mean very little. Tatar's and Nyquist's AHL stats give a little hint maybe, but the rest of the numbers are from such different leagues and environments.

Better to look at raw tools that might translate to the NHL level: Shot, skating, elusiveness, hockey sense, compete level, overall skill. Size. There are a lot more ways to score than just having a great shot.

Tatar, Jarnkrok and Nyquist, while able to score, I see as setup guys. That doesn't mean they can't have 25-30 goals in a good year though. Pulkkinen has qualities that could make him a 30+ goal scorer, but also a few question marks. Jurco I see as the best bet out of this bunch to become a consistent 30 goal scorer, and 40 goal scorer in a good year because he has most if not all of the qualities I mentioned. You can't teach size and reach.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:22 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Because other than last year, his stats doesn't actually seem that great when it comes to goal scoring. And I wonder how much of last year has to do with playing on a powerhouse

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 11:17 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Because other than last year, his stats doesn't actually seem that great when it comes to goal scoring. And I wonder how much of last year has to do with playing on a powerhouse
Jurco had more goals two years ago than last year.

edit. yeah games played, my bad, gpg lower.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 02:04 PM
newfy

Quote:
He wasnt playing with Huberdeau much at all last year. The top line had a Coyle, Huberdeau combo and Jurco on the second line had Galiev with him.

I'm sure htey saw some PP time together but he didnt play with the top dogs on that team. I'm pretty sure when Huberdeau went down for a month and before Coyle went there was Jurcos best production all season.

As for the topic at hand, I just have a feeling about Frk becoming a sniper. He was a legit threat for a top 10 pick last year and isnt a soft player so he will also be getting garbage goals.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote