HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Face off tips.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:04 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

vCash: 500
Face off tips.

I suck at face offs. I'm honestly probably 5-100 in my life in face offs. I'm so bad, that some times I'll lose on purpose, and just skate around the other center as soon as the puck is dropped to try to intercept the pass to the defense.

Any help would be great. Especially great videos on youtube. Thanks!

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:15 PM
flyers10

Try to watch the linesman dropping the puck to time it. If the other player is better at timing it don't even bother trying to beat them, just use your stick to block theirs and then use your body to block them while you kick the puck back to your D.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:21 PM
AD1066
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not sure how to embed YT here, but I would check out: Hockey U - Faceoffs

Notice how low each player is at about the 1:10 mark. This was the biggest factor in upping my win percentage.

I grew up playing defense competitively and when I made the switch to forward my faceoffs were terrible. I started getting lower to the ice and noticed immediate improvement.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Ozz

I try to cut the faceoff dot in half w/my blade and pull the puck backward to my one of my defensemen (based on which hand the other center is). When I say cut the dot in half, that's where I drop my blade and then sweep it the way I want the puck to go.

I'm a righty, and if I go up against another righty I'll spin my right leg forward upon the drop and win it on my forehand back to my LD. If the other center is a lefty, I'll do the opposite: pivot my left leg forward, and win it on the backhand to my RD.

If I know the guy is slow I'll try to poke it right past him and go around to pick it up as we break out, or I'll try to tie him up and then smack or kick it back to a defender unless a winger comes in to scoop it. But doing this, the opponent can get his feet on it too, so it's less successful for me. I know others who are much better at this one. I change it up though so I don't appear to be a one-trick pony and they won't know how to handle me.

I have no way to know my stats, but I very seldom lose outright.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:00 AM
rh71

if you're strong enough, as soon as the ref moves his hand to drop the puck, knock your opponent's stick back toward him and hold it there with your stick. Then you can either release and backhand it to your D or use your feet to do the same thing. If it's the same opponent every time they'll likely catch on after a while though.

Timing it is usually a 50/50 proposition... and the refs don't always drop it with the same speed.

Mix it up, but obviously it's a combination of speed and strength.

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post
Try to watch the linesman dropping the puck to time it. If the other player is better at timing it don't even bother trying to beat them, just use your stick to block theirs and then use your body to block them while you kick the puck back to your D.
This exactly, especially in the Defensive zone, Block the stick the instant the linesman fingers release the puck. Tell your winger to come in and get it.

Offensive zone...keep your eyes on the linesmans fingers...If the linesman just drops it try knocking it out of the air. After doing this a few times the linesman might start throwing the puck down, instead of just dropping it.

Dont put your hand backwards, it just gives your direction away.

Work on your hand eye.

Learn the habits of the centerman you're facing.

Always strong on the stick, and always tie up your centerman. especially if you lose the draw...if you win the draw you should tie him up as well to give time for your teammate to make a play.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Ribosome

I'll echo all the tips above, and add one more key faceoff ingredient -- cheat.

Seriously, every inch counts on the dot and cheating a little bit helps. Why do you think guys in the pros get thrown out all the time? Honestly, I was always one of the best on the dot when I played competitive hockey because I'd start swiping as soon as possible. By the time the puck was a few inches from the ground I already have the entire dot on my backhand. It got to the point where the other center would just try to crosscheck me off the dot.

You can bet the other guys are false starting too.

Ribosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Devil Dancer

If you're losing draws consistently, one alternative is to follow the puck rather than trying to win it back. If you think you're going to lose the draw, and you have some idea of where the opposing center is going to go with the puck, just go with it and streak to where the puck is going.

Also, if you think you're going to lose the draw, use your wings. Tell them where you think the puck is going to go, and get them to go to that spot as the puck is dropped. They can streak in as the puck is dropped because beer league refs don't ever blow a play dead based on early movement by a winger, especially a winger that the ref isn't facing.

These methods aren't always situationally appropriate, but they can come in handy from time to time.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote