HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oscar Klefbom

Old
08-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Let me be clearer Derek Dorsett will never ever be the main piece in a deal for a blue chip prospect or top 6/top 4 player. Derek Dorsett is the type of player who is traded for fellow depth players and for picks. If Columbus had to move him the best you would get is a 3rd rounder. The role he fills just isn't as valuable as you think...
He wouldn't be that main piece, to be sure, but for different reasons - he's extremely good defensively in tough-minutes situations, which makes him valuable to a team... but that sort of value is always much greater on the ice (and in the locker room) than it is in the trade market. So any realistic scenario in which we trade him would probably be a ripoff.

Consequently, we're not shopping him, nor would we want to. (The poster going on and on about getting DD over to Edmonton is not a Jackets fan.)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman464 View Post
If he were in the AHL and it was looking like he was adjusting well to the NA game you'd have an apt comparison, but hes still in SEL and there is always the risk that they don't make the transition. As I stated earlier I think hes worth a proven prospect+2nd rounder, he's not worth a roster player, and hes not worth a top pick (NHL ready player).
here is a list of dmen who were recent iihf world junior all stars

2012 - brodin, Klefbom
2011 - ellis, orlov
2010 - petriangelo, Carlson
2009 - karlson, subban
2008 - doughty, hedman
2007 - letang, erik johnson
2006 - bourdon, jack johnson
2005 - phaneuf, suter

to be on that list is a pretty decent indicator that you are going to become an impact nhl player. The average value of players on that list is multliple first round picks. If Klefbom is an average iihf all-star, that is what I think his value will be.

here is a recent pick - physically, he looks nhl ready

[

http://instagram.com/p/OzAKXEzIO_/

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:09 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

But how long did it take each of those Dmen to become as valuable as they are? Suter, for example, was benched for the play offs the year following his IIHF WJ All Star selection. I don't think anyone would have given up a couple of firsts for him until a couple of seasons later. You can't really set his current value based on that particular list.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Musashi

Don't forget Klefbom was one of the youngest in his age group drafted.. I think Ryan Murray is only two months younger then him

Looking forward to see Oscar captain the swedes at the WJC

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:17 AM
vad87

EDM has a pretty good young d-man with Klefbom. Back in 2011, I wanted him with our 1st pick but with Beaulieu available, he felt 2nd on my list. He's the kind of d-man that won't blow you away with anything but he'll do everything right on the ice.

vad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:23 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE View Post
To all the Bob McKenzies out there:
Sometimes the letter F is really a V in Swedish.
One of those times is Klefbom, it's pronounced Klevbom and not Klefbom.
Pfft, we NA folk will pronounce it how it's spelled, especially if it sounds cooler that way (eg Nail).

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
But how long did it take each of those Dmen to become as valuable as they are? Suter, for example, was benched for the play offs the year following his IIHF WJ All Star selection. I don't think anyone would have given up a couple of firsts for him until a couple of seasons later. You can't really set his current value based on that particular list.
in the abscence of a clearer direction, I would say this list is the best possible indicator of value. The list consists of quality prospects who elevated their games to an elite level in the most important tournament of the year.

I am not certain what more can be asked of a prospect. He was a steal at 19. In a redraft, he is probably a top 10 pick.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Shaman464
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
in the abscence of a clearer direction, I would say this list is the best possible indicator of value. The list consists of quality prospects who elevated their games to an elite level in the most important tournament of the year.

I am not certain what more can be asked of a prospect. He was a steal at 19. In a redraft, he is probably a top 10 pick.
Possible future value is not equal to current value, right now hes probably 2 years from the NHL and could be 3 years depending how long he stays in SEL. You add to that the learning curve for most defensemen in the NHL from rookie year until they hit the value of the players you mentioned, his value is still a proven prospect and a pick. Once he makes it to the AHL/NHL and shows his potential can translate to the long hall of the NA game in NA arenas, his value will skyrocket, but until then, GMs tend not to overpay for possible future value.

Edit: I'll add he could be a B piece as part of a larger swap of roster players, but he's not a centerpiece player.

Shaman464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:

2012 - brodin, Klefbom
2011 - ellis, orlov
2009 - karlson, subban
2008 - doughty, hedman
2005 - phaneuf, suter

to be on that list is a pretty decent indicator that you are going to become an impact nhl player. The average value of players on that list is multliple first round picks. If Klefbom is an average iihf all-star, that is what I think his value will be.

[

Klefbom is on my no trade list. I was so giddy when the Oilers managed to get him at 19 and he's only improved since then. His potential is higher than anything you're likely going to get for him and his character and conditioning are awesome.....That being said, why did he feel the urge in that picture to wear short shorts when nobody else was?

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Well that depends of a number of things, one of which is likely draft pedigree. Of that list, by my eye only 3 of those players were drafted outside of the 1st round (Subban, Letang, and Orlov). That's 3/16. I'm pretty sure those 3 players values got bumped up by being named WJC allstars. Now I'm not saying that Klefbom has Suter's value as that would be idiotic, but to the Oilers his worth is much greater than his draft position. The team wanted him to come over this year and by all accounts he was by far our best D prospect at development camp over the likes of Musil, Marincin, Gernat, Simpson, etc.

This is a player that is a near lock as a top 4 NHL defenseman and a potential top pairing D for us. While he doesn't have the offensive flair of a guy like Ellis, this is a potential 2 way d-man with tremendous size and skating. Next year he will be coming over and while he may spend some time in the AHL, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he makes the big club out of camp.

08-27-2012, 02:21 PM
thalegion

You were giddy, I was actually pissed we didn't get McNeil, now ir happy, still think McNeil will carve out a career though

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
You were giddy, I was actually pissed we didn't get McNeil, now ir happy, still think McNeil will carve out a career though
Maybe we can have both if we can deal Gagner for McNeill

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:44 PM
AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
Pfft, we NA folk will pronounce it how it's spelled, especially if it sounds cooler that way (eg Nail).

Cooler?

Klef sounds like cleft palate
Klev is more like cleavage

Not sure i agree what's cooler..

AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE View Post
Cooler?

Klef sounds like cleft palate
Klev is more like cleavage

Not sure i agree what's cooler..
Personally I'll take the cleavage over the cleft palate.

Old
08-27-2012, 03:19 PM
AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Personally I'll take the cleavage over the cleft palate.
I think most guys do, can't be to many other than AUAIOMRN who'd go for the cleft palate. That's quite a wired fetish he's got.

AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:09 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
He wouldn't be that main piece, to be sure, but for different reasons - he's extremely good defensively in tough-minutes situations, which makes him valuable to a team... but that sort of value is always much greater on the ice (and in the locker room) than it is in the trade market. So any realistic scenario in which we trade him would probably be a ripoff.

Consequently, we're not shopping him, nor would we want to. (The poster going on and on about getting DD over to Edmonton is not a Jackets fan.)
Derek Dorsett is valuable in the same way a bottom pair defenseman who is physical is valuable. He fills a role on a team, but isn't good enough to give anything significant for. He's Ethan Moreau of 7 years ago, a good role player. But not worth bringing up when discussing a blue chip prospect.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:44 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 1100
Oiler fans are overrating both Klefbom and Schultz and will be in for a world of hurt shortly on their blue line

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

cleffbomb

Oillio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Oiler fans are overrating both Klefbom and Schultz and will be in for a world of hurt shortly on their blue line
Yeah there were absolutely no Canucks fans that were pissed that Schultz chose us over them, must be because he sucks.

Both are likely top 4 D with top pairing potential. I don't hear anyone saying that we have the next Doughty or Pietrangelo here do you? And if you think that they are being overrated then go on record and tell us what you see them being able to accomplish in their careers.

Old
08-27-2012, 06:11 PM
spOiler

World of hurt shortly on D... you haven't watched our D lately have you...

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yeah there were absolutely no Canucks fans that were pissed that Schultz chose us over them, must be because he sucks.

Both are likely top 4 D with top pairing potential. I don't hear anyone saying that we have the next Doughty or Pietrangelo here do you? And if you think that they are being overrated then go on record and tell us what you see them being able to accomplish in their careers.
Actually Craig Button compared Schultz to Doughty... Not that i'm expecting that, but Schultz is considered a good possibility to be a Gonchar like quality defenseman in the longterm. This is the scouts opinions not mine. There is a reason he recieved so much hype.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Actually Craig Button compared Schultz to Doughty... Not that i'm expecting that, but Schultz is considered a good possibility to be a Gonchar like quality defenseman in the longterm. This is the scouts opinions not mine. There is a reason he recieved so much hype.
I know that he did, but I'm saying specifically Oilers fans since that's who he said has been overrating him. I don't see many similarities besides their offensive games and spinorama's TBH.

Old
08-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

Oh i agree Dorsett is a valuable role player, but like you said these guys don't return value. Dorsett is IMO a better player than Brandon Prust, unfortuantly for him he hasn't played in NY so i doubt he ever gets the kind of credit Prust got. Like i said earlier he's a quality checker, but at the end of the day he isn't going to net you a valuable player like Klefbom.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Pucklington

I'm not going to bother to read the idiotic responses that likely are saying he is worth a low 1st or 2nd. I'm sure they are there.

If Klefbom were traded right now, it would be for a top 10 pick. I also think the Oilers would think twice about this since Klefbom has a very high ceiling, and is close to playing in NHL.

I would argue the Oilers value Klefbom more highly then Schultz, and his ceiling as an all-around defensemen is higher and more important to their future success.

Pucklington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

2012 - brodin, Klefbom
2011 - ellis, orlov
2009 - karlson, subban
2008 - doughty, hedman
2005 - phaneuf, suter

[

To me, this looks less like justification for high market value and more like a fantastic reason for the Oilers to keep him.

Quote:
Oh i agree Dorsett is a valuable role player, but like you said these guys don't return value. Dorsett is IMO a better player than Brandon Prust, unfortuantly for him he hasn't played in NY so i doubt he ever gets the kind of credit Prust got. Like i said earlier he's a quality checker, but at the end of the day he isn't going to net you a valuable player like Klefbom.
I wouldn't want to try, frankly. We've got Murray, Moore, Savard, and Erixon. Klefbom's awesome, but, well, there's not much room left.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote