HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART IV

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 11:33 AM
scott99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Joensuu currently has 8 goals, 7 assists, 49 PIM and is a +7 in 13 games in the SM-Liga

He's second on the team in scoring. Hes 3 points back in 3 less games.
I think playing last year overseas, AND in the World's Championships really did wonders for Joensuu. Playing with great confidence. I remember a year prior to the 2006 draft (2005 Future Watch and 2005 Draft Preview issue I believe), Joensuu was being talked about as one of the top 5 picks in the draft. I remember thinking we got a steal in the second round when we drafted Joensuu. I think he's finally playing up to his potential. Though he had some good seasons in Finland and Bridgeport after he was drafted.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:47 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Was hoping too they would take Finn since he was still available and probably the Isles saw a lot of him since he's on the same team with Pedan. Polkka at age 18 is playing in his second year in Finland's top league against men. The report on him is skating need work but I have not seen him. Looking forward to see him play for Finland with players his own age at the World Junior and watching him more closely.

Polkka's stats- 11 games, 2 goals, 3 assists, even. Not bad.
Well we can't be that dissapointed, we wanted Finn and in a return get a Finn

Old
10-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Indeed, I was actually quite upset that Finn, a guy who many talked about as being somewhere being 14-22 in the draft, was there for the taking and the Isles didn't grab him.

Again, I often think they target someone and then stop watching what else is going on. Picks like de Haan, Koskinen, Nilsson, maybe a few others, have given me this distinct impression. Pokka belongs to that group in my mind's eye.

Now, this said, maybe Petrov and Kabanov are exceptions to that.

Anyhow, I had seen Pokka a few times at the last U18 and was very disappointed. I was so disappointed that I struck him from the interview list and hit up a few other guys instead. Of course, that was just a sample size, but he was outshone vastly by guys like Ristolainen (2013), Vainonen and Tikannen. He made a few defensive/puckhandling blunders of a rather large proportion along the way.

Anyhow, surely his 30 some games in the SM-Liiga were a better sample size and its great to see that he's doing well for himself this season. For all we know, he might have been a bit sick or just plain worn out at the U-18. Those things happen.
Glad you saw him. As you said Chapin, he must be better now if he's playing regularly in in the SM-Liiga. When he plays at the World Junior I'm going to pay close attention to him. Having not seen him and just from what I have read he need to work on his mobility.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Degeneration Rex

Tonight on NHL Network, 7PM

QMJHL
Moncton vs Blaineville-Boisbriand.

No Islander prospects but a live game to watch.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:10 PM
YashinWorksHard

Another A for Pelech, they're playing right now (second period).

Old
10-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Degeneration Rex

Sault Ste. Marie 6, Erie 5 (SO) Pelech, 1 assist, even.
Windsor 6, Guelph 4-Pedan, 2 assists.
Sudbury 7, Niagara 2-Strome 2 assists, Graham no points.
Drummondville 4, Cape Breton 1-Leduc, 1 assist.
Everett 6, Spokane 5-Kichton, even.
Denver 5, Michigan Tech 1 - Mayfield, + 1.
Notre Dame 5, Northern Michigan 2-Lee, 1 goal, 1 assist, Russo, 1 assist.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 10-27-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old
10-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

EUROPE:
- John Tavares has 4-6-10, 4 PM and a -3 in 9 games for SC Bern
- Mark Streit has 4-4-8, 6 PM and a +3 in 13 games for SC Bern
- Michael Grabner has 4-4-8, 0 PM and a +2 in 6 game for Villacher SV
- Frans Nielsen has 0-8-9, 2 PM and a +5 in 9 games for Lukko Rauma
- Andy MacDonald has 1-4-5, 4 PM and a -1 in 6 games for Karlovy Vary.
- Lubomir Visnovsky has 3-1-4, 4 PM and a +2 in 9 games for Slovan Bratislava.
- Rick Dipietro is 0-1-0 with a 3.03 GAA in 1 game for SC Riesersee.

- Mikko Koskinen is 6-4-5 with a .913 save percentage and 1.94 GAA in 15 games for KaiPa.
- Jesse Joensuu has 9-9-18, 49 PM and a +10 in 14 games for Ässät Pori.
- Ville Pokka has 2-3-5, 2 PM and a 0 in 11 games for Karpat.
- Kirill Petrov has 5-2-7, 14 PM and a +7 in 19 games for Kazan AK.
- Rhett Rakhshani has 5-8-13, 6 PM and a +4 in 15 games for HV71.
- Mark Katic has 1-4-5, 14 PM and a +5 in 11 games for the Eisbären Berlin.
- Justin Dibenedetto has 6-11-17, 6 PM and a -4 in 14 games for Salzburg EC.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Muhkea

Quote:
EUROPE:
- Ville Pokka has 2-3-5, 2 PM and a 0 in 11 games for Karpat.
Pokka suffered an unlucky minor concussion in the pre-season when he got hit and tripped at the same time so he fell to the ice with his head first. That's why it was understandable that he wasn't as good as he was in the playoffs last spring, but he's been getting better in every game. He's been really solid in the defensive zone in the last few games, but as his offensive game is his main upside, he has been able to make nifty moves from the blue line as well. If he doesn't get more injuries I think over a 0.5 p/g season is a really fair bet. And honestly he's not a person who would get injuries as his hockey IQ is excellent and he knows where to be all the time. The concussion was just terrible luck. He paired the last game with Sharks' d-man Jason Demers with 19.5 min ice time and +2.

Old
10-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Crazy that of all those players, its Joensuu that has the most points.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Degeneration Rex

Saturday

Cape Breton 4, Drummondville 1-Leduc, + 1
Barrie 4, Niagara 1-Strome, Theoret, Graham, each even.
Sarnai 5, Erie 2-Pelech, even. Pelech injured in second period, shot hit him in ankle.
Guelph 4, London 3 (SO)-Pedan, 1 goal.
Edmonton 5, Kelowna 3-Reinhary, even.
Spokane 3, Tri-City 2-Kichton, -1.
Notre Dame 3, Northern Michigan 2-Russo, even, Lee, -1.
Denver 5, Michigan Tech 2-Mayfield, 1 assist, + 1.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 10-28-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old
10-28-2012, 08:58 AM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 0
Quote:
Saturday

Cape Breton 4, Drummondville 1-Leduc, + 1
Barrie 4, Niagara 1-Strome, Theoret, Graham, each even.
Sarnai 5, Erie 2-Pelech, even. Pelech injured in second period, shot hit him in ankle.
Guelph 4, London 3 (SO)-Pedan, 1 goal.
Edmonton 5, Kelowna 3-Reinhary, even.
Spokane 3, Tri-City 2-Kichton, -1.
I see Ledufus has put together a couple solid games this past week.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Saturday

Am expecting Anders Lee to pick things up.

After all, he stuck with Notre Dame so as to win a championship, right.

Seriously though, he's actually on a lesser pace than last season. But the college season is still very young.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Am expecting Anders Lee to pick things up.

After all, he stuck with Notre Dame so as to win a championship, right.

Seriously though, he's actually on a lesser pace than last season. But the college season is still very young.
He's on the same pace he was on in the second half of last season. Something happened there just going by the stats, either a nagging injury or something. He hasn't been the same since the midpoint of last season. Although, having said that I think I only watched a game or two of his all of last year and none this year. This is just going purely of the stats.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:49 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
He's on the same pace he was on in the second half of last season. Something happened there just going by the stats, either a nagging injury or something. He hasn't been the same since the midpoint of last season. Although, having said that I think I only watched a game or two of his all of last year and none this year. This is just going purely of the stats.
I'm not worried about Anders Lee. He's the leading scorer on the 5-1 ND team. Obviously not a high scoring team (17 goals total in 6 games). I just hope we get the kid signed.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Sneekypete

I thought I heard Lee is now playing in a more defensive role against the other teams best lines and was no longer on a line with TJ Tynan. I am not worried about his point production in this case it does not tell the whole story.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Degeneration Rex

Sunday

Sault Ste. Marie 6, Guelph 2-Pedan, even.
Edmonton 5, Vancouver 1-Reinhart, + 3.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:12 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

I'm liking Brock Nelson more and more, I think he's going to be a very good hockey player in a couple of years. His skating is so much better than in College and he's much stronger. He's developed a scoring touch and seems to play a good pro game in driving to the net. Great combination of skill, desire and size, with decent speed.

If the Isles can get Niederreiter, Nelson and deHaan (along with one of Poulin/Nilsson/Koskinen) to reach their potential, this could be a very good hockey team in a couple of years.

Strome would be nice as well, but I think he's got some development ahead of him still.

Oh, and Nathan McKinnon and/or Connor McDavid - those boys can play.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:10 AM
YashinWorksHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I'm liking Brock Nelson more and more, I think he's going to be a very good hockey player in a couple of years. His skating is so much better than in College and he's much stronger. He's developed a scoring touch and seems to play a good pro game in driving to the net. Great combination of skill, desire and size, with decent speed.

If the Isles can get Niederreiter, Nelson and deHaan (along with one of Poulin/Nilsson/Koskinen) to reach their potential, this could be a very good hockey team in a couple of years.

Strome would be nice as well, but I think he's got some development ahead of him still.

Oh, and Nathan McKinnon and/or Connor McDavid - those boys can play.
Mackinnon not going to be an Islander if the lockout ends with the season. And i don't want McDavid because i don't want another loser season. But yes, they can play, absolutely.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
Mackinnon not going to be an Islander if the lockout ends with the season. And i don't want McDavid because i don't want another loser season. But yes, they can play, absolutely.
Why is a 15 year old a loser?

Old
10-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Why is a 15 year old a loser?
I think he was saying something else.

He was saying that he didn't want McDavid because that would mean that the Islanders would have to have yet another season full of losing in order to be in a position to take a kid thought to be a #1 overall candidate, seeing as how McDavid is not draft eligible this upcoming summer.

Now, that said, we shouldn't forget that McDavid isn't draft eligible until like 2015, if I remember his birth month correctly.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Ok, I'm not joking here and I know I may be inviting a maelstrom of "What'ya talkin' 'bout Willis?" responses here, but seeing Nelson and the way he plays, I think he really can be like THE CURRENT Vince Lecavalier once he's found his NHL groove. Something about the size, skating and even the stickhandling is reminding me not so much of the 90 point Lecavalier of yesteryear, but surely of the current 60 point version.

I'd sure take it!

Old
10-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
Mackinnon not going to be an Islander if the lockout ends with the season.
You mean, you don't think the Islanders would get the pick necessary to take Mackinnon if the season were to be lost to the lockout and the draft order would be determined by a lottery?

Interestingly, if the league would finangle (sp) the lottery in order to 'pick and choose' who would have the first shots at Jones and MacKinnon (as many felt was done when Pittsburgh got to pick Crosby first overall after the last lockout right at a time where that town, as an NHL site, was endangered and desperately needed a new 'Lemieux'), then I'd have to think that the Brooklyn news is reason enough for the powers that be to want the NYI picking first or second.

Heck, just imagine how Bettman would be licking his chops over the thought of one of hockey's future all-star Dmen being a colored kid who's the son of a former NBA player AND playing in NY City???

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 10-29-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old
10-29-2012, 09:27 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
You mean, you don't think the Islanders would get the pick necessary to take Mackinnon if the season were to be lost to the lockout and the draft order would be determined by a lottery?

Interestingly, if the league would finangle (sp) the lottery in order to 'pick and choose' who would have the first shots at Jones and MacKinnon (as many felt was done when Pittsburgh got to pick Crosby first overall after the last lockout right at a time where that town, as an NHL site, was endangered and desperately needed a new 'Lemieux'), then I'd have to think that the Brooklyn news is reason enough for the powers that be to want the NYI picking first or second.

Heck, just imagine how Bettman would be licking his chops over the thought of one of hockey's future all-star Dmen being a colored kid whose the son of a former NBA player AND playing in NY City???
I thought the same thing when trying to rationalize any good of losing the team to Starbucks Country.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Symon Asher

Quote:

Heck, just imagine how Bettman would be licking his chops over the thought of one of hockey's future all-star Dmen being a colored kid whose the son of a former NBA player AND playing in NY City???
I believe his father is an assistant coach for the Nets so that would be a cool story.
FYI - We do not use the term colored here but African American

Old
10-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon Asher View Post
FYI - We do not use the term colored here but African American
Ahhh yes, didn't think about that.

But isn't 'colored' supposed to be the nice PC way of not just saying 'black'?

As an aside:
In Germany, when you go to a club or some type of party where R&B, soul or rap music is being played, it's officially just called 'Black music'. It's not even translated (would be 'Musik der Schwarzen' or even in short 'Schwarzenmusik'). I always found that odd, but it's really what you'll see on the posters, in magazines and on the doors/walls of the actual clubs themselves. It's just how the people here recognize what types of artists are making those types of music.

As an aside II:
I once really had to chuckle when I caught parts of some documentary on Tyra Banks and one of her relatives was talking about her influence and work around the planet. On several occasions he referred to blacks outside of American borders as being African Americans as well.:-)

In general, you'll not find a regular use of some type of PC term for skin colors in most European countries, even in the more liberally thinking northern nations (although some aspects of PC thought have certainly made inroads there). A person is simply called the color of what they are - no beating around the bush. Of course, I'll add that it is my experience that the 'N' word is naturally tabu just about everywhere, regardless of the language.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 10-29-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Closed Thread