HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART IV

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
Friday
Saint John 6, Cape Breton 2-Leduc, -2.
Owen Sound 6, Erie 3-Pelech, 1 assist.
Prince Albert 3, Edmonton 2-Reinhart, even,
Red Deer 3, Spokane 1-Kichton, 1 goal.
St. Cloud State 3, Denver 0-Mayfield, even.
Western Michigan 3, Notre Dame 2-Lee, 1 goal, 1 assist, Russo, 1 goal.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-03-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old
11-03-2012, 01:01 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Please read what I wrote afterwards. There is no way in hell you can tell me he can't get better care for his mom here in the States than he can in mother Russia. I'm super close to my mom as well, but if I lived in Russia, and was able to sign a contract in the States, and was able to get my mom the best care in the world here in the States, you know damned sure I'd be on the first plane with my mom to the States. I'd do anything for my mom, including move to another country to get her the best care possible.
I completely apologize . I for some reason I did not even read that part. My mistake.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Sounds like Petrov Flatley. With better wheels. I'll take that any day if he can hit.....but dread the "can't skate" comments if he's just like Flatley. (skating being more important than positioning and hockey sense to many....)
Ohhhh, if I didn't mention it, his wheels are fine. I'm very happy with both the speed and agility I've seen from him in the 5 or 6 Kazan games I've caught online.

Skatingwise, I'd even have to say that he blows Flatley out of the water.

His back is very straight and he goes into a bit of a real deep crouched position, taking pretty powerful-looking strides. His head is up pretty much the whole time as well. Not one of those guys who stares at the puck while stickhandling.

In short, he's simply looking better than I had imagined from earlier viewings.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
There is no way in hell you can tell me he can't get better care for his mom here in the States than he can in mother Russia. I'm super close to my mom as well, but if I lived in Russia, and was able to sign a contract in the States, and was able to get my mom the best care in the world here in the States, you know damned sure I'd be on the first plane with my mom to the States. I'd do anything for my mom, including move to another country to get her the best care possible.
A few things about this:
A) We can't assume that Petrov and his family are even aware or have been informed in any way, shape or form about what medical possibilities are available Stateside that could outweigh the options right at home.
B) Many aspects of Putin's Russia are very wild, wild west - Dictatorship style - but for those who have the financial means, you can get top-of-the-line medical care there, especially if certain people of influence are on your side, i.e. the folks running one of the country's top teams for the country's top sport.
C) We cannot forget that we're still talking about a nation of 130 million people and a good share of fully capable people who have done a considerable amount of schooling and training domestically and in other countries. In addition, for all its ills, it's not like the Soviet Union wasn't able to develop extraordinarily capable leaders in the fields of sports, science, engineering and yes, medicine. They didn't all jetison the country in 1990 and many who did have since returned - more well-rounded.
D) Maybe Kirill's mother is in no condition to be travelling across an ocean.
E) Maybe she has no desire to leave her home country, surroundings, friends, other family members, etc. - especially knowing that her time on this planet is coming to an end.
F) I'm not quite sure it's all that easy for a person to drag his/her sick relatives into the US. I'd have to think there certainly are a number of inconvenient bureacratic steps that one has to go through, especially coming from the US's longtime international adversary.

In short, there is much, much more speaking for Petrov never coming here than the other way around.

Not the least of which is the fact that he's currently on a great contract in the best league in the world - at least the best one that is currently up-and-running.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

It was a loss, but you can see Lee's goal and Lee's assist on Russo's goal here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-mox...e_gdata_player

Don't like seeing ND losing against schools like Western Michigan.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:36 AM
YashinWorksHard

Anybody has seen Reinhart this season? I don't but he has average statitics (five points in sixteen game (+3, 6PIM) in a winning team, nothing impressive for a fourth overall pick.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:57 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
Anybody has seen Reinhart this season? I don't but he has average statitics (five points in sixteen game (+3, 6PIM) in a winning team, nothing impressive for a fourth overall pick.
From the Prospects section:

About a month back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Rock steady.

He didnt do anything spectacular, but his positioning, his subtle, smart, effective plays to get the puck out of his end and turned back up the ice quickly and safely, his efficient and effective use of his size, strength and positioning, just closes the door on the opposition.

Ive been hoping for more from him offensively, particularly on the pp, especially since the team is missing Martin Gernat, but he hasnt gotten that part of his game going yet. It will come.

Watching the game today, I believe they said the Oil Kings had the second best pp in the league last year, but so far this year they are 13th. That is how important Gernat is to that pp. Missing Mark Pysyk and Dylan Wruck doesnt help either.

Today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He is playing great. Dont let the stat line make you think otherwise.

Unfortunately for him, Edmonton's coach has been using five forwards on the first unit pp for the bulk of the season. He really should have Reinhart out there and be using his point shot as a focal point. Last night Reinhart was pretty effective on one pp, as they used him in this way, they didnt score, but had several very good chances.

If they start using him on the first unit pp again and if Martin Gernat comes back from injury and is paired with Reinhart, you will see his numbers improve.

But he is the best dman on the team by miles, and probably the best dman in the league in regards to his defensive play and moving the puck out of the zone safely and effectively.

Last edited by PWJunior: 11-03-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
From the Prospects section:

About a month back:

Today:
The opposing team rarely scores when Reinhart is on the ice, so that's good.
As his game and role expands we should see more offense, right now Edmonton
is playing him for defense first.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Interesting:
Last night, Micky Grabner's Villach lost 5-4 to the Vienna Capitals. Grabner had one assist and is now 5-6-11 in 9 games. However, Vienna won on the strength of Tony Romano's 1-2-3 in the game. He now has 7-10-17 in 18 games for Vienna.

Just as an aside, Justin Dibenedetto has 9-16-25 in 24 total games for Salzburg.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:26 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
I'm a little disappointed by this. There seems to be no offensive upside in his game. Even Pokka and Pelech seem to be upping their games offensively. I expected more from Reinhart. I guess if Reinhart winds up becoming Kenny Morrow II, I won't be unhappy, though you don't waste a #4 overall on a defensive defenseman. The rest of the d-men we drafted aren't really lighting up the world either.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:45 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
I'm a little disappointed by this. There seems to be no offensive upside in his game. Even Pokka and Pelech seem to be upping their games offensively. I expected more from Reinhart. I guess if Reinhart winds up becoming Kenny Morrow II, I won't be unhappy, though you don't waste a #4 overall on a defensive defenseman. The rest of the d-men we drafted aren't really lighting up the world either.
Let's not be so quick to judge Reinhart. The guy is a beast defensively and he's not getting first unit PP time. His usual defense partner is hurt. The Oil Kings were expected to be the elite team in the WHL, they haven't played that way yet.

In any case, he's never going to be a stud offensively and that is not why he was drafted. He's envisioned as a top pairing horse that can play in all situations. If he can eventually put up about 40 pts per season, then that is what you call a stud.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:53 PM
StumpNYI

Strome with 1G and 2A already. Still two periods to go. He is on a good pace lately.

Old
11-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Scott Stevens was easily worth having been picked at #5, even when he wasn't putting up offensive numbers.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Degeneration Rex

Saturday

Niagara 9, Guelph 4-Theoret, 2 goals, 3 assists, Strome 1 goal, 4 assists, Graham, 1 goal.
Owen Sound 6, Erie 1-Pelech 1 assist.
Edmonton 2, Swift Current 1-Reinhart, + 1.
Spokane 5, Everett 0-Kichton, 1 goal.
Denver 6, St. Cloud State 1-Mayfield, 1 assist, +1.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-03-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 08:51 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Saturday

Niagara 9, Guelph 6-Theoret, 2 goals, 3 assists, Strome 1 goal, 4 assists, Graham, 1 goal.
Owen Sound 6, Erie 1-Pelech 1 assist.

More to come.
Great game for Niagara. Saw the box score and I'm very happy to see Strome getting most of his points ES. Theoret with a big game, I'm sure Strome had something to do with it.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:00 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Scott Stevens was easily worth having been picked at #5, even when he wasn't putting up offensive numbers.
This

I'll take a 6'4 anchor defensive damn anyday of the week

I'm not at all upset that we took Reinhart over Rielly.

I'm more upset that we didn't take Finn or Thrower over Pokka

Old
11-03-2012, 09:17 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
This

Montreal took Thrower before we could, he was one of my favorite players in the draft too. Damn them.

I wanted Forsberg, but I've really warmed up to Reinhart. Big horses like him are a premium in the NHL so I completely understand the pick. He's not flashy, but this guy could be a 25 minute d-man with a big shot who is lauded for his hockey IQ. I'd think Isles fans would be overjoyed with someone like that for a #4 overall pick.

As an aside, imagine if we get the #2 overall pick in the draft (please, please, please) and draft Seth Jones. Then we'd have TWO 6'4 two-way beasts that could be the top defense pair in the NHL when they hit their primes. That's the type of foundation that you find on perennial contenders. Gives me goosebumps.

EDIT: Not to slight Hamonic, but he would form a defense corps that would rival any in the NHL with those 2.

Last edited by PWJunior: 11-03-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Gotta give love to Travis.
Old
11-03-2012, 09:27 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Montreal took Thrower before we could, he was one of my favorite players in the draft too. Damn them.

I wanted Forsberg, but I've really warmed up to Reinhart. Big horses like him are a premium in the NHL so I completely understand the pick. He's not flashy, but this guy could be a 25 minute d-man with a big shot who is lauded for his hockey IQ. I'd think Isles fans would be overjoyed with someone like that for a #4 overall pick.

As an aside, imagine if we get the #2 overall pick in the draft (please, please, please) and draft Seth Jones. Then we'd have TWO 6'4 two-way beasts that could be the top defense pair in the NHL when they hit their primes. That's the type of foundation that you find on perennial contenders. Gives me goosebumps.
That's crazy talk.

Reinhart-Jones
Hamonic-de Haan
Mayfield-Donovan/Amac

Old
11-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:

EDIT: Not to slight Hamonic, but he would form a defense corps that would rival any in the NHL with those 2.
Pedan and Mayfield are big boys too.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:43 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Pedan and Mayfield are big boys too.
Haha, yeah. I was envisioning Reinhart and Jones since they're considered premium prospects.

A blue line featuring Hamonic, Reinhart, Jones, Mayfield, Pedan, and (who really cares at this point, but I still believe in CDH) - that's a stupid big blue line. Even Clara Peller couldn't complain about that. Where's the Beef, you ask? It's all on the Isles blue line.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Haha, yeah. I was envisioning Reinhart and Jones since they're considered premium prospects.

A blue line featuring Hamonic, Reinhart, Jones, Mayfield, Pedan, and (who really cares at this point, but I still believe in CDH) - that's a stupid big blue line. Even Clara Peller couldn't complain about that. Where's the Beef, you ask? It's all on the Isles blue line.
You could also wind up with Calgary of a few years ago where the sum of the parts on the ice was worse than on paper. My gut is telling me that if half the prospects hit we will eventually have a good blueline with size leading the way, but it is too early to call it done.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:55 AM
scott99

Quote:

Seth Jones is already a much better prospect than Reinhart. His OVERALL game is already ahead of Reinhart's.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Hmmmm, not quite sure what that's about?

Scott Stevens had one junior season where he went 6-36-42 with 158 PMs in 68 games. He then added 1-10-11 in 15 PO games (another 71 PMs).

He was in the NHL the very next season. Nasty boy back in the day.

What does he have to do with Reinhart in this scenario?

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 11-04-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old
11-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
In any case, he's never going to be a stud offensively and that is not why he was drafted. He's envisioned as a top pairing horse that can play in all situations. If he can eventually put up about 40 pts per season, then that is what you call a stud.
Actually, going into the draft, I had been given the impression from several directions that folks saw him being more like Chris Pronger than Braydon Coburn.

Although no-one is making any final statements here, if you take a guy top 4, you're gonna have thoughts about what's going on offensively when he has 1-4-5 in 17 games. No matter whether he's getting ample PP time or not, when you're on a good team with some strong forwards, you tend to get a number of assists based on that first, solid outlet pass. Well, if you're making it. You also get the puck passed to you at the blueline 5-on-5, because your forwards seem to have the defense so busy that it opens up the Dmen for more set-ups there than usual. Another danger is that a team is so good, that you get somewhat reduced to simply and solidly preventing opponents (since that is a necessary role and maybe the others can't do it as well) and then letting everyone else do the offensive stuff while you serve as the safety player.

According to the statements from I am the Liquor above, it seems like the later is kind of being the case here. The team is so good, it doesn't NEED Reinhart to be involved offensively. It really only needs him to just keep pucks out of the net.

Gotta wonder what the Isles think about that?

General note:
For whatever reason, we are not getting to see what Reinhart has in his bag in the way of offensive tools. At the junior level, when it comes to guys who are top five picks, I really have to wonder if it's all that important to be on a strong, winning team (learning to win) like Reinhart or if it's better to be on a lesser team where you get lots of ice time in lots of different situations, required to carry a load of responsibility on your shoulders, like Pelech.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 11-04-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old
11-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Bwaaaaaaaaaa, that would be incredible if Reinhart could end up anything like Stevens (who you were referring to).

Two things though...
Stevens had MANY seasons of incredible blueline output. It was a different era, but he had 60+ point five times! In addition, he was a meannnnnnn-a$$ *******. He had about the best hipcheck in hockey and clocked people on a number of occasions, especially over the first ten years of his career.

He was a guy who you can kind of look at as the Mark Messier of Dmen.

Quote:
Yep, no need to be upset. Still kind of amazing how much attention Rielly is getting and how many think he's like the second coming of Leetch. As we mentioned in a few earlier posts, being a Leafs pick surely attributes to that.

Quote:
Gotta like what Pokka is doing against men in the SM-Liiga, but seeing a guy go from being considered a 13-19 pick to 35 always has to make you wonder if the Isles were even aware of what was happening as well as what the knock is on the kid. Seems like the Isles had Pokka pinpointed right from the outset, regardless of who was dropping. As discussed in the past, that seems to be an Islander trend. The only exceptions I can think of are the once-highly-touted-now-dropping Russkies.

Closed Thread