HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART IV

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Niagara 9, Guelph 4-Theoret, 2 goals, 3 assists, Strome 1 goal, 4 assists, Graham, 1 goal.
Anyone know if Theoret and Strome were on the same line?

Old
11-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Montreal took Thrower before we could, he was one of my favorite players in the draft too. Damn them.
You sure about that? Thrower went 51st overall. Was definitely there for the taking at 34.

Quote:
I wanted Forsberg, but I've really warmed up to Reinhart. Big horses like him are a premium in the NHL so I completely understand the pick. He's not flashy, but this guy could be a 25 minute d-man with a big shot who is lauded for his hockey IQ. I'd think Isles fans would be overjoyed with someone like that for a #4 overall pick.
Basically, I'd be ecstatic if Reinhart could be Kenny Jonsson.

At this point, I don't see the skating yet.

Quote:
As an aside, imagine if we get the #2 overall pick in the draft (please, please, please) and draft Seth Jones. Then we'd have TWO 6'4 two-way beasts that could be the top defense pair in the NHL when they hit their primes. That's the type of foundation that you find on perennial contenders. Gives me goosebumps.
From seeing Jones a couple of times live for Team USA, I feel no reservations in saying that he should be the best Dman on the planet in 10 years' time, health willing.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:10 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
You sure about that? Thrower went 51st overall. Was definitely there for the taking at 34.

Basically, I'd be ecstatic if Reinhart could be Kenny Jonsson.

At this point, I don't see the skating yet.

From seeing Jones a couple of times live for Team USA, I feel no reservations in saying that he should be the best Dman on the planet in 10 years' time, health willing.
I had it in my head that Thrower was selected right before our 2nd round pick, my bad.

As for Jones, he's that good eh? I hope the hockey gods smile down on us and we get a shot at him.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:07 AM
scott99

Theoret's offense is really coming around. Might be yet another late round steal. He's averaging a point a game now, and lets not forget, he's ONLY 19. Good size, some offensive talent, and a 3rd line banger. Sounds like a Matt Martin type (without the fighting). Haven't seen him play live, maybe some of our OHL scouts here on the Isles's board can chime in and give us some thoughts.

On a side note, since some of us were talking about Seth Jones, maybe one of our great Mods can start an Official 2013 Draft Thread (hint, hint).

Old
11-04-2012, 10:19 AM
YashinWorksHard

Really? We drafted seven defensemen in the last draft and you guys want another D in the 2013 first round if Jones is available? Don't forget we don't have second round.. I think we have bad luck, last year NJ stole "our" fourth pick and they drafted Larsson, in my opinion a much more value player than Reinhart in their respective drafts.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:23 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Theoret's offense is really coming around. Might be yet another late round steal. He's averaging a point a game now, and lets not forget, he's ONLY 19. Good size, some offensive talent, and a 3rd line banger. Sounds like a Matt Martin type (without the fighting). Haven't seen him play live, maybe some of our OHL scouts here on the Isles's board can chime in and give us some thoughts.

On a side note, since some of us were talking about Seth Jones, maybe one of our great Mods can start an Official 2013 Draft Thread (hint, hint).
It is nice to see Theoret doing well. Not like I've seen him play much or anything, but I always had Dibo in my head rather than Matty Marts. We can only hope he develops into another steal, but we'll just have to see.

As for the Draft thread, I don't know what you are talking about. Someone started that thread ages ago.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:44 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
Really? We drafted seven defensemen in the last draft and you guys want another D in the 2013 first round if Jones is available? Don't forget we don't have second round.. I think we have bad luck, last year NJ stole "our" fourth pick and they drafted Larsson, in my opinion a much more value player than Reinhart in their respective drafts.
We drafted 3 Defensemen last year, and then wasted 4 picks afterwards. If any of Leduc, Somerby (where is he, who is he playing for this year ?), Graham or Bishoff play even ONE NHL game, I'd be shocked. Seth Jones would be the best defenseman we've drafted since a guy named Denis Potvin. AND let's not forget, we have way more top end forward prospects than top end D-men prospects. So Seth Jones being picked by the Isles would be a dream come true, Jones, Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech & Hamonic would be an amazing defense. Defense and goaltending wins championships. Only way I'd be upset with Jones, would be if Mackinnon were still available.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Listening to the game, the line was Strome, Theoret and Brett Ritchie.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It is nice to see Theoret doing well. Not like I've seen him play much or anything, but I always had Dibo in my head rather than Matty Marts. We can only hope he develops into another steal, but we'll just have to see.

As for the Draft thread, I don't know what you are talking about. Someone started that thread ages ago.
I'll get to see Theoret during Thanksgiving. For a so called grinder he actually skates well
and has good hands. He never really played anything above third line until he was put on Stome and Brett Ritchie's line and and they have been hot since playing together. Don't know if Theoret would have put on the top line if Niagara had better forwards but he is taking advantage of first line ice time.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-04-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old
11-04-2012, 11:37 AM
scott99

After a 5 point night, The "Disappointing" Strome is now #1 in OHL scoring . I kinda like this, The Disappointing Strome and Marginally Talented Tavares.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:40 AM
babblemoth
my heart and I agree

Quote:
Yeah, been rolling on a line with Brett Ritchie in recent games I have been able to catch. Dominant last night.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:49 AM
scott99

Watch this ladies and gents, OHL plays of the week, includes Strome and Pedan showing immense talent. Also a great play by Athanasiou, I guy I was praying we drafted instead of the losers we picked in rounds 4-7.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...5fcdfcd4bad177

Old
11-04-2012, 12:47 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
We drafted 3 Defensemen last year, and then wasted 4 picks afterwards. If any of Leduc, Somerby (where is he, who is he playing for this year ?), Graham or Bishoff play even ONE NHL game, I'd be shocked. Seth Jones would be the best defenseman we've drafted since a guy named Denis Potvin. AND let's not forget, we have way more top end forward prospects than top end D-men prospects. So Seth Jones being picked by the Isles would be a dream come true, Jones, Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech & Hamonic would be an amazing defense. Defense and goaltending wins championships. Only way I'd be upset with Jones, would be if Mackinnon were still available.
Do you know how much teams would be willing to give to able to draft Seth Jones? Remember that you guys traded a 2nd for Viz? If I was in Garth's place, I would trade the 2nd overall pick for a top 10 pick and a 2nd. It is a deep draft and with a top 10 pick you can get Barkov, Shinkaruk, Drouin, Burakovsky(wingers for Tavares) or Pulock or Ristolainen if you want D. Then in the 2nd get another good prospect.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Watch this ladies and gents, OHL plays of the week, includes Strome and Pedan showing immense talent. Also a great play by Athanasiou, I guy I was praying we drafted instead of the losers we picked in rounds 4-7.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...5fcdfcd4bad177
He blew right by Dougie Hamilton. I'm not going to blast the Somerby and Bischoff picks,
both are still in high school Somerby is going Boston University and Bischoff to Minnesota next year,
two of the top college hockey programs. Leduc shocked me, didn't think he would even get drafted last summer.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:03 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Do you know how much teams would be willing to give to able to draft Seth Jones? Remember that you guys traded a 2nd for Viz? If I was in Garth's place, I would trade the 2nd overall pick for a top 10 pick and a 2nd. It is a deep draft and with a top 10 pick you can get Barkov, Shinkaruk, Drouin, Burakovsky(wingers for Tavares) or Pulock or Ristolainen if you want D. Then in the 2nd get another good prospect.
IF Jones is a generational defenseman, and Mackinnon is gone, you make the pick. We have tons of other prospects (assets) that we could trade for extra picks if need be.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Zanny

Strome with 2 assists mid second period. Currenlty ohl point leader. Not too shabby.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Do you know why teams would be salivating at the thought of drafting Jones? This isn't Luke Schenn we're talking about here. When you have a chance to take a defenseman like Jones, you don't play games, you pick him. Getting a lesser prospect and then an additional question mark of a 2nd round level prospect instead would be the worst thing you could possibly do with that pick.

Jones is an exceptional player. He has the defense of Reinhart and offense of Rielly from the last draft -- you do not pass that up. Combine that with his elite hockey sense, overall athleticism and skating ability, plus the fact that he's 6'4'' 205 lbs. You make that pick or you're fired, plain and simple.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanny View Post
Strome with 2 assists mid second period. Currenlty ohl point leader. Not too shabby.
Listening to the game, 4-2 Peterborough about 13 minutes in third.
After 2, Mississauga 3, Erie 0-Erie has already given up 40 shots on goal.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-04-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 03:56 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Do you know why teams would be salivating at the thought of drafting Jones? This isn't Luke Schenn we're talking about here. When you have a chance to take a defenseman like Jones, you don't play games, you pick him. Getting a lesser prospect and then an additional question mark of a 2nd round level prospect instead would be the worst thing you could possibly do with that pick.

Jones is an exceptional player. He has the defense of Reinhart and offense of Rielly from the last draft -- you do not pass that up. Combine that with his elite hockey sense, overall athleticism and skating ability, plus the fact that he's 6'4'' 205 lbs. You make that pick or you're fired, plain and simple.
Wasnt Schenn supposed to be generational talent or what about Bogosian? You never know what happens. Jones has not exactly been spectacular this year. Not generational talent good anyway. And I am not talking about going and get some average prospect in the centre of the round, I am saying moving a few spots down. Barkov, Drouin, Shinkaruk, Risto or Pulock are not bums.

So moving down from 2nd to 5th-6th and getting Pulock, Risto or Shinkaruk as well as an early 2nd rounder is the worst possible thing you can do?

It might be just me but I would personally draft Barkov over Jones so moving down and getting additional assets seems good to me.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanny View Post
Strome with his 3 assist, Niagara 4, Peterborough 4 late third-Brett Ritchie has all 4 goals,
Theoret with 2 assists.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:10 PM
kuwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Strome with his 3 assist, Niagara 4, Peterborough 4 late third-Brett Ritchie has all 4 goals,
Theoret with 2 assists.
Back-to-back 4 goal games for Ritchie, wow...

Old
11-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
Strome gives Niagara the lead on a one timer with less than 3 minutes left

Old
11-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
Ritchie now has 5, scored into empty net, Strome could have put it in but gave it to Ritchie.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:22 PM
thrillhous

Wow, how's that for adding to your point totals in less than 24 hours.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Wow, how's that for adding to your point totals in less than 24 hours.
Final, Niagara 6, Peterborough 4-Strome 1 goal, 4 assists, Theoret 3 assists.
Also Mississauga 4, Erie 1-Pelech -1, Erie outshot 52-22.

Closed Thread