HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART IV

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 03:37 PM
scott99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Final, Niagara 6, Peterborough 4-Strome 1 goal, 4 assists, Theoret 3 assists.
Also Mississauga 4, Erie 1-Pelech -1, Erie outshot 52-22.
Wow, Strome 2 goals 8 assists last 2 games. What a disappointment . Theoret 2 goals 6 asssists last 2 games ? Wow. All we need now is to trade for Ritchie.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Wow, Strome 2 goals 8 assists last 2 games. What a disappointment . Theoret 2 goals 6 asssists last 2 games ? Wow. All we need now is to trade for Ritchie.
They just took 1 assist away from Theoret.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:42 PM
scott99

Quote:
They just took 1 assist away from Theoret.
They have some nerve ! Still pretty damned good, doubled his points for the year in only 2 games.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:43 PM
YashinWorksHard

Strome is on fire.. Ryanity!!!!

Old
11-04-2012, 04:04 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
Strome is on fire.. Ryanity!!!!
Ryan Strome is 'En Fuego!'. What a weekend for Strome and his line. Richie has to get to POW in the OHL.

Don't forget Strome had 1g 1a on Thursday to fuel Niagara to the win. He's on a tear the last 3 games.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:11 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Ryan Strome is 'En Fuego!'. What a weekend for Strome and his line. Richie has to get to POW in the OHL.
Just like Republicans and Democrats, I'm sure someone will come up with some sort of negative spin about The Disappointing Strome. Just a matter of time before we hear "Strome is benefitting from being on Ritchie's line" or "Without Ritchie, Strome wouldn't even be in the top 10 in scoring" or "the great Mark Sciefele doesn't have a Ritchie type on his line". I'm sure we'll hear it soon.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Two Islanders made oHl plays of the week -- Pedan and Strome. http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video...5fcdfcd4bad177

PEDAN BREAKING ANKLES

Old
11-04-2012, 05:20 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
Two Islanders made oHl plays of the week -- Pedan and Strome. http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video...5fcdfcd4bad177

PEDAN BREAKING ANKLES
I love guys who can pull off a sweet saucer pass like that. Ryan Strome doing his best Mario Batali imitation, love it.

We all knew Pedan was big and nasty, but this kid has got some skills. Very pleased with him.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:27 PM
scott99

Quote:
I love guys who can pull off a sweet saucer pass like that. Ryan Strome doing his best Mario Batali imitation, love it.

We all knew Pedan was big and nasty, but this kid has got some skills. Very pleased with him.
I remember Zdeno Chara playing in the AHL Allstar game many years ago (as an Islander's prospect), and he scored an amazing goal with some nifty stick handling moves. I remember thinking, man, this guy isn't JUST a big giant shut down d-man, he's got some offensive skills. Well, I'd never compare Pedan to Chara, but that play in the highlights show you, Pedan isn't JUST some big shutdown d-man, he's got some offensive skills as well. Nice to see Pedan and Pelech, two D-men drafted as defensive d-men, can also add some offense as well.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Degeneration Rex

I listened to the pre game of today's Niagara game. One guest was the Niagara team strength-conditioning coach.(Can't remember his name). Says Strome has added upper body strength but not excess bulk. He is lifting
weights 2-3 times a week depending how busy the schedule is and he does not lift anything really
heavy. Along with working out with Tavares group over the summer, and Niagara coach Marty Williamson, Strome is in good hands.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:55 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
I listened to the pre game of today's Niagara game. One guest was the Niagara team strength-conditioning coach.(Can't remember his name). Says Strome has added upper body strength but not excess bulk. He is lifting
weights 2-3 times a week depending how busy the schedule is and he does not lift anything really
heavy. Along with working out with Tavares group over the summer, and Niagara coach Marty Williamson, Strome is in good hands.
It's very encouraging and you have to remember that Strome is still only 19 years old. He won't turn 20 until after the season is done in July. He's carrying Niagara offensively this year and is a lock for Team Canada in the WJC. If Niagara fades, he could be traded to a Memorial Cup contender. In any case, he's in for a long year which he needs.

One more offseason in the Dungeon along with just normal 'growing up into a man', he could make serious noise next season.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
It's very encouraging and you have to remember that Strome is still only 19 years old. He won't turn 20 until after the season is done in July. He's carrying Niagara offensively this year and is a lock for Team Canada in the WJC. If Niagara fades, he could be traded to a Memorial Cup contender. In any case, he's in for a long year which he needs.

One more offseason in the Dungeon along with just normal 'growing up into a man', he could make serious noise next season.
He's getting closer. Can't wait to see him over Thanksgiving.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:29 PM
scott99

It may be my 50 year old eyes, or just wishful thinking, but to me, he does look bigger and faster this year. I'm psyched, the Isles are gonna have a really good 1-2 punch down the middle, maybe an amazing 1-2-3 punch with Tavares-Strome-Nelson. The future is bright.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:44 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post

PEDAN BREAKING ANKLES
Wow, is that a non checking league? Nobody was hitting anybody, just a lot of lazy pokes and puck watching...

Old
11-04-2012, 06:46 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
It may be my 50 year old eyes, or just wishful thinking, but to me, he does look bigger and faster this year. I'm psyched, the Isles are gonna have a really good 1-2 punch down the middle, maybe an amazing 1-2-3 punch with Tavares-Strome-Nelson. The future is bright.
I can't remember the last time we had two premium center prospects as developed as Strome and Nelson in a long time. Strome's development has been right on track for a top-5 pick and is looking like he'll make an impact next year. I've had the chance to see Nelson 4 times already (1 preseason and 3 real games) and he's really impressed me. It's clear that the Isles want to see how he fares at center (he can move to the wing), but he's got the tools and hockey IQ to excel in the pivot. I'm pretty sure he won't be overlooked much longer compared to some of his draft contemporaries.

It looks to me that a Tavares-Strome-Nelson combination could very well be reality when the puck is dropped in the first official game at the Barclay's Center in 2015. You don't have to squint George Constanza style to see it anymore.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Degeneration Rex

Sunday, Full Recap

Notre Dame 4, Western Michigan 0-Lee, 2 goals, + 3, Russo, even.
Erie 4, Mississauga 1-Pelech, -1
Niagara 6, Peterborough 4-Strome, 1 goal, 4 assists, + 3
Theoret, 2 assists, + 2, Graham -1.

Note-Strome leads the OHL at + 22 after today's games.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-04-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 07:21 PM
scott99

Quote:
Sunday, Full Recap

Notre Dame 4, Western Michigan 0-Lee, 2 assists, + 3, Russo, even.
Notre Dame is getting hot, nice to see Lee and Russo involved. Still have high hopes for Lee. Hoping he can eventually be our Ryan Malone. Also, he seemed to have excellent chemistry with Brock Nelson during the rookie camp two years ago.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:22 PM
ndgolden

Quote:
Sunday, Full Recap

Notre Dame 4, Western Michigan 0-Lee, 2 assists, + 3, Russo, even.
Correction on Lee - 2 goals, +3

Old
11-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Mavericknyc1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgolden View Post
Correction on Lee - 2 goals, +3
nd golden how has Lee and Russo looked.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Brock

Thoughts on Adam Pelech from today.

I thought Pelech was Erie's best player today (not saying much though). He's had a great year and is continuing to develop well, despite not having a ton of help on the backend in Erie. He looks quicker this year, in rushing the puck and defensively. He's very hard to beat one on one. Many of Mississauga's forwards tried to get by him off the rush, but every play ended the same way, with Pelech coming out with the puck and the opposing player rubbed out of the play. He was a steal in the 3rd round, as he's got great potential as a defenseman at the next level. As mentioned, he looks quicker when rushing the puck this year too, and was able to avoid the forecheck of the Steelheads. Hey Erie, get this guy some help on the backend!

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...ters-from.html

Old
11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

I thought Pelech was Erie's best player today (not saying much though). He's had a great year and is continuing to develop well, despite not having a ton of help on the backend in Erie. He looks quicker this year, in rushing the puck and defensively. He's very hard to beat one on one. Many of Mississauga's forwards tried to get by him off the rush, but every play ended the same way, with Pelech coming out with the puck and the opposing player rubbed out of the play. He was a steal in the 3rd round, as he's got great potential as a defenseman at the next level. As mentioned, he looks quicker when rushing the puck this year too, and was able to avoid the forecheck of the Steelheads. Hey Erie, get this guy some help on the backend!

Pelech has been a pleasant surprise for the Isles. Looking like a steal in the 3rd round with him.

Brock, what are your thoughts on Strome's play?

Old
11-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Mavericknyc1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

Love seeing this. Drafting has is one of Garth's strengths.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Wow, is that a non checking league? Nobody was hitting anybody, just a lot of lazy pokes and puck watching...
Was thinking pretty much the exact same thing.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:55 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Is anyone else concerned that so many of Strome's points are assists? It could be that he's just living off Ritchie's goal-scoring prowess.

Just kidding - doing a blood pressure check for you all.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Do you know how much teams would be willing to give to able to draft Seth Jones? Remember that you guys traded a 2nd for Viz? If I was in Garth's place, I would trade the 2nd overall pick for a top 10 pick and a 2nd. It is a deep draft and with a top 10 pick you can get Barkov, Shinkaruk, Drouin, Burakovsky(wingers for Tavares) or Pulock or Ristolainen if you want D. Then in the 2nd get another good prospect.
For some teams, that might be an option.

Especially if they don't have much of a prospect pool or have a scouting staff that is so dead set on the prospects of two top 45 picks that they'd rather grab them than one big surefire guy.

Despite some really good drafts in recent years, I dunno if any has offered this type of impact player at 1 and 2 since Ovechkin and Malkin went 1st and 2nd in '04.

For the Islanders, who have prospect depth, but only really have one major impact player in Tavares, it would be an absolute NO BRAINER that, if picking 1 or 2, one of Mackinnon or Jones would be taken and call it a day.

No questions asked.

And it would be the best thing they could possibly do.

Closed Thread