HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the "Zucc" be back? (3/25: Agrees to terms)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 09:44 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Pyatt? Rupp? Halpern?

The team allowed a young, skilled player who had proven he could play in the NHL to run away to the KHL. Stupid.
So, he was going to play on the 4th line? I don't get it. Kreider didn't come ready to play at the beginning of the season. Gabby and Richards still really haven't even if Gabby is showing somewhat of a pulse now. Those are guys who were expected to score a whole heck of a lot more than they are. Pyatt is the only guy you could possibly argue. You are not going to guarantee him a spot over a UFA. Whether they should have signed Pyatt is something you could argue separately perhaps.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:44 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Pretty "meh" about this. If he hasn't improved in the areas that Torts considers to be faults, I don't see him making much of an impact.
If that's the case then the Rangers can add another player to their list of moveable pieces. Someone will give him a shot. He has the skill to play in the NHL. He will thrive somewhere, just a matter of where.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:45 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
So, he was going to play on the 4th line? I don't get it. Kreider didn't come ready to play at the beginning of the season. Gabby and Richards still really haven't even if Gabby is showing somewhat of a pulse now. Those are guys who were expected to score a whole heck of a lot more than they are. Pyatt is the only guy you could possibly argue. You are not going to guarantee him a spot over a UFA. Whether they should have signed Pyatt is something you could argue separately perhaps.
Why not re-sign a player who knows the system and can play either wing anywhere in the line-up? PP time? Great at shootouts? They knew there would be injuries. They were happier with keeping Newbury and Rupp and signing Pyatt and Halpern obviously.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:45 AM
eco's bones

Seriously doubt MZA is going to help this team really turn around. Personally see him as a liability on the defensive side of the puck and his lack of size doesn't help. True though that he might improve the missing secondary scoring on the team but IMO this is at best going to be a tradeoff of what he can do best vs. what he doesn't do well at all. Rangers are a desperate team at this point. Their lack of depth and grit are the two main things killing them.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:46 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Personally I think people are glossing over how iffy his play was outside of the offensive zone. The team had success last year because every player was committed to defense and winning puck battles.

I hope it works out but I'm not holding my breath.

03-25-2013, 09:46 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
If that's the case then the Rangers can add another player to their list of moveable pieces. Someone will give him a shot. He has the skill to play in the NHL. He will thrive somewhere, just a matter of where.
Just curious, what's your definition of thriving? I think he has shown signs that he has offensive talent to play in the league but just not sure he has complete game. Plus, the size factor obviously.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:48 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Personally I think people are glossing over how iffy his play was outside of the offensive zone. The team had success last year because every player was committed to defense and winning puck battles.

Kreider and Miller are not very good defensively either. The difference is, MZA creates offense while those other 2 have not.

Boyle. Powe. Asham. Newbury. Kreider/Miller. Those are the guys that should be grinding it out. The problem is, they can't score, create offense or really even control the puck.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
You might have a point there. He could have more value as a trade chip than as a roster player at this point.

Don't get me wrong. I think the kid has the skill to be an NHLer, but he's going to be one of those guys who has to generate consistent offense and has a coach who is willing to look the other way when it comes to defensive responsibilities. Torts sure as hell isn't that guy. Guy Boucher might. Lindy Ruff might. Torts definitely will not.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Just curious, what's your definition of thriving? I think he has shown signs that he has offensive talent to play in the league but just not sure he has complete game. Plus, the size factor obviously.
He was on pace for .5ppg last year. I would say that if he scores 50+ points, which is 100% do-able as he develops, then that is thriving.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:50 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Why not re-sign a player who knows the system and can play either wing anywhere in the line-up? PP time? Great at shootouts? They knew there would be injuries. They were happier with keeping Newbury and Rupp and signing Pyatt and Halpern obviously.
Torts didn't think he could play complete game. Again, people were salivating over the PP on paper in the offseason. You can't guarantee him a spot. He didn't seem like he was willing to be in the press box and wanted to be a regular. Newbury could go to Whale. This really comes down to the lack of production from Gabby and Richards...something no one (as far as I can tell) could have predicted.

Old
TheRightWay

Quote:
Kreider and Miller are not very good defensively either. The difference is, MZA creates offense while those other 2 have not.

Boyle. Powe. Asham. Newbury. Kreider/Miller. Those are the guys that should be grinding it out. The problem is, they can't score, create offense or really even control the puck.
Exactly. If Gabby and Richie sucked last year everyone would have whined about Prust and Fedotenko not providing enough scoring. But because they did those two were allowed to do their jobs. Unfortunately, Gaborik and Richards have fallen apart, which leaves us desperate to get any sort of offense from guys we shouldn't really expect too much offense from.

Old
NYR Viper

[QUOTELeslie Treff ‏@HFNYRangers 1m
Two years is what I heard, but this is less sure than it actually getting done. @Demershockey: @HFNYRangers Leslie, I heard it was a 2 y ...][/QUOTE]

Leslie heard it was 2 years as well. Hope so.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:52 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Torts didn't think he could play complete game. Again, people were salivating over the PP on paper in the offseason. You can't guarantee him a spot. He didn't seem like he was willing to be in the press box and wanted to be a regular. Newbury could go to Whale. This really comes down to the lack of production from Gabby and Richards...something no one (as far as I can tell) could have predicted.
Gaborik and Richards don't play complete games either. Neither do Miller and Kreider. Pyatt is average defensively. Double standard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Exactly. If Gabby and Richie sucked last year everyone would have whined about Prust and Fedotenko not providing enough scoring. But because they did those two were allowed to do their jobs. Unfortunately, Gaborik and Richards have fallen apart, which leaves us desperate to get any sort of offense from guys we shouldn't really expect too much offense from.
Prust and Fedotenko brought more than just defensive play to this team.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:

In his limited stints with the team, he's also had a habit of starting well but dropping off as time goes on. He started his last stint great, but got hurt before we could find out if he figured out how to remedy that problem. Luckily, there isn't that much time left in the season, so maybe that won't be an issue

Old
03-25-2013, 09:53 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
He was on pace for .5ppg last year. I would say that if he scores 50+ points, which is 100% do-able as he develops, then that is thriving.
He is 25. This team was built to win a cup this offseason. Or we were led to believe. Win now. Didn't have the luxury of letting a guy develop during such a season. Particularly one as compressed and atypical as this year. Part of me wouldn't be shocked if he went the PA Parenteau route (as an example), and went to a lesser team, played high minutes and put up decent points. Do you build a winner that way though?

Old
03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

I'm not saying our current bottom lines are good at it. I just am not sold on MZA being part of the solution, overall. We may score more goals, sure. But at what cost.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:56 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
He is 25. This team was built to win a cup this offseason. Or we were led to believe. Win now. Didn't have the luxury of letting a guy develop during such a season. Particularly one as compressed and atypical as this year. Part of me wouldn't be shocked if he went the PA Parenteau route (as an example), and went to a lesser team, played high minutes and put up decent points. Do you build a winner that way though?
Miller is 19. Kreider is 21. I just didn't understand it. Still don't. And I hope he stays. This team needs an infusion of skill in the worst way. Someone who can control the puck and make a play, not just dump it in.

Quote:
I'm not saying our current bottom lines are good at it. I just am not sold on MZA being part of the solution, overall. We may score more goals, sure. But at what cost.
I think he will be much better than anyone else in our bottom-6. Plus he will get this team points in the shootout.

Old
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Big whoop.

Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
It is totally fine not to like a player but your hate of MZA is now getting offensive.
You edited my post. I put a smiley face at the end. You can't do that. Your obsession with this player is weird. Are you in love with Mats? This is the second day in a row you have taken objection over something I posted. Second day in a row you have accused me hating the player. Its like you are his personal protector. I can understand the Norweigans being big backers because that's their goomba. What's your deal?

Old
03-25-2013, 09:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Big whoop.
Be careful because the PC police will accuse you of hating precious Mats. What a joke.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:04 AM
district9

I've been wrong before and could easily be proven wrong again, but unless Zuc grew 4 inches and learned how to skate who cares?

Most popular player on a football team is always the backup quarterback. Most popular Ranger is a guy who was never good enough to have a consistent roster spot so they didn't keep him around. This is a move out of pure desperation and people here are slotting him into the first line....I don't know how some of you think hockey works but this isn't NHL 13 it's real life

Old
03-25-2013, 10:06 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
You edited my post. I put a smiley face at the end. You can't do that. Your obsession with this player is weird. Are you in love with Mats? This is the second day in a row you have taken objection over something I posted. Second day in a row you have accused me hating the player. Its like you are his personal protector. I can understand the Norweigans being big backers because that's their goomba. What's your deal?

You put a wink after saying the rental market must be expensive not a smiley face after your slur. Why lie? I'm just called it as it appears to me. Every time you post about the kid it has a derogatory slant.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:07 AM
TomLaidlaw

We should see if Prucha wants to come back home.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:11 AM
NYR Viper

I can not wait to see how big of a difference there is with MZA in the bottom-6. This team lacks anyone who can create offense outside of Hagelin, Callahan, Stepan and Nash right now.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:13 AM
The Mouth

I think it's a good signing, but this season is starting to smack of the Espo era with the constant influx of new players, although the majority has been minor league call ups being the main difference, they have been searching for answers almost in a panic.

Closed Thread