vCash: 500
Police Charge 3 Greyhounds with sexual Assault

Crazy eh.... http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=403868

Lyons89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 04:53 PM
OHLFan8771

I have never liked Nick Cousins and now I have all the reason more to not like him.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Spitsfan67*

Oh Branch will probably just slap them on the wrist no suspension or fine from the league ehh WTH it's just sexual assault...

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 06:56 PM
jughead42

I'm not a big fan of Cousins but this will hardly ruin his career. I vaguely remember Ed Jovanovski being accused of something similar along with Bill Bowler and Cory Evans back when they played for the Spitfires. That situation went away, and this one probably will as well. The kid obviously has issues with keeping his stick to himself when he plays hockey, so it wouldn't be shocking to find out he can't keep his stick to himself in other situations.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 07:06 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Oh Branch will probably just slap them on the wrist no suspension or fine from the league ehh WTH it's just sexual assault...
Why would the league do anything before the players have their day in court?

At this moment in time, we know that the three players have been charged. We don't know the details behind the charges, nor do we know any other part of the story. They may be found guilty (in which case, the league's punishment is the least of their worries) or they may be found innocent (and no punishment from anyone is warranted).

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I'm not a big fan of Cousins but this will hardly ruin his career. I vaguely remember Ed Jovanovski being accused of something similar along with Bill Bowler and Cory Evans back when they played for the Spitfires. That situation went away, and this one probably will as well. The kid obviously has issues with keeping his stick to himself when he plays hockey, so it wouldn't be shocking to find out he can't keep his stick to himself in other situations.
But that was in the mid 90's and it's 2012 it's going to be a lot harder for this to go away...it will be following them there whole career either way that these accusations play out.....I wonder how the hounds will do this year if these guys get lengthy suspensions.

Old
08-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Why would the league do anything before the players have their day in court?

At this moment in time, we know that the three players have been charged. We don't know the details behind the charges, nor do we know any other part of the story. They may be found guilty (in which case, the league's punishment is the least of their worries) or they may be found innocent (and no punishment from anyone is warranted).
Didn't say the league wouldn't wait, they will probably....I'm just saying these are very serious allegations and the way branch is they'll get a slap on the wrist and be on there way from the league but if there found guilty there NHL dreams could be over....Look at when Zack Kassian got in a bar fight a few years ago Buffalo didnt want to sign him in case he would no longer be able to cross the border, the charges were later dropped and now zack is with The Caunucks....what I'm saying is this one slip up could cost these kids there dreams and careers.

Old
08-26-2012, 07:34 PM
jughead42

It's not good for their careers but if the charges are dropped or they go to court and are found innocent it will have a negligible impact on their careers. Bowler went on to have a minor pro career and be an assistant coach in the OHL, special Ed is still in the NHL with millions in his pocket. If they are found guilty they may face a roadblock or two before reaching the NHL, but that's a long way from happening at this point. The case was dropped against the Windsor guys because they decided that there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute, that could easily happen here. Cousins was going to be a cloud over the greyhounds season somehow even without these charges, so I doubt it changes much for them this season.

Old
08-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Ottomatic

Could somebody over at Noof ask why the three players who have been officiall charged and are public cannot be named by the site, but any Spitfire can be mentioned as possibly being the snitch/getting paid in their other thread? Why is it kosher to mention Campbell, Fowler, Ryan, Koko etc as possible leakers based off nothing but wild guesses but cannot name three players who were officially charged with a crime.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 09:06 PM
OHLTG

Like I just posted on NOOF, the Spitfires incident and the Hounds incident are two very different ball games. The Spitfires one took place in an era in which the internet was just starting up and news didn't travel as fast. Today, anything that becomes national news (which this SSM appears to be doing) could easily spread like wildfire. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that, if the charges aren't dropped, this becomes very ugly for the three players in question.

That being said, until they're proven guilty, it's not reasonable to assume they're guilty.

Otto - that's a good question, but I wonder if it deals with legal proceedings versus non-legal proceedings. It doesn't sound like the Spitfires current situation involves the courts.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 09:22 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
That being said, until they're proven guilty, it's not reasonable to assume they're guilty.
Yes, Nick Cousins is a fine upstanding young man who would never let his lack of self control or respect for others cause problems for him on or off the ice. It's absolutely unreasonable to jump to any conclusions about him at this point, because his track record in dealing with others is exemplary.

Old
08-26-2012, 09:43 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Yes, Nick Cousins is a fine upstanding young man who would never let his lack of self control or respect for others cause problems for him on or off the ice. It's absolutely unreasonable to jump to any conclusions about him at this point, because his track record in dealing with others is exemplary.
While I've never been a fan of Cousins, I'm not going to assume "the guy is a jackass on and off the ice, so this HAS to be true." I know lots of guys who are the class clown, but wouldn't even consider assaulting a female.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:52 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Didn't say the league wouldn't wait, they will probably....I'm just saying these are very serious allegations and the way branch is they'll get a slap on the wrist and be on there way from the league but if there found guilty there NHL dreams could be over....Look at when Zack Kassian got in a bar fight a few years ago Buffalo didnt want to sign him in case he would no longer be able to cross the border, the charges were later dropped and now zack is with The Caunucks....what I'm saying is this one slip up could cost these kids there dreams and careers.
All true, but I think the reason why ZK is with the 'Couve is it took him a LONG time to get on track(did the Sabres want him to be an ass-kicker only, or get a better all-around game?)...not to mention others like Marcus Foligno made him expendable. But that's another argument for another board.

What concerns me is this: This case has the capability, if it isn't handled right, of making the Soo the OHL equivalent of Swift Current.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 05:54 AM
HLLYWD99

Can it get any worse for the poor hockey fans in the Sault!

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:43 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
While I've never been a fan of Cousins, I'm not going to assume "the guy is a jackass on and off the ice, so this HAS to be true." I know lots of guys who are the class clown, but wouldn't even consider assaulting a female.
this...

Quote:
HLLYWD99 Can it get any worse for the poor hockey fans in the Sault!
and this.

Cousins is one of my least favorite players. Last year for me, he was right behind Halmo for players I disliked on the ice. But even with that and his history, you can not really brand him as "that guy" until he is convicted. Right now he is charged with a date to appear in court. If it comes out that he is convicted then we can all say "it figures".

I can't help but feel bad for the Soo fans and the community. Seems like they have a black cloud over their heads in the last few years when it comes to their Greyhounds.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:34 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I have never liked Nick Cousins and now I have all the reason more to not like him.
So he's guilty before trial? Do u know something we dont? Give the kid a fair trial and if he is guilty of course punish them. The 3 deserve a trial before judgement or false accusations are placed on them. Drew Doughty had similar claims against him recently and they were dropped. Dont jump the gun .

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote