Notices

Roman Cervenka Inquiry

Old
08-30-2012, 10:35 PM
BigTree92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanHerbsman View Post
the competition will be harder, but now hes going to be with NHL legend Jarome Iginla. so im not to worried about it. plus he has some sweet new coaches to work with woot!
I don't know that I would call Iginla a legend.

BigTree92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTree92 View Post
Yeah I agree. I love Iginla but legend is too far.

Backlund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:57 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
What? 1073 points in 1188 games is legendary, let alone 2 memorial cups, 2 olympic gold medals, 1 world championship, 1 world cup, and 1 Junior gold. Not to mention all the other little awards such as all-star nominations, hart, art ross, etc.

Damn, people really hate when players head towards the end of their careers!

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:22 PM
BigTree92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
What? 1073 points in 1188 games is legendary, let alone 2 memorial cups, 2 olympic gold medals, 1 world championship, 1 world cup, and 1 Junior gold. Not to mention all the other little awards such as all-star nominations, hart, art ross, etc.

Damn, people really hate when players head towards the end of their careers!
You're joking right? I never considered Iginla a legend even in his prime. Iginla is a very damn good player, my all-time favourite, but I'm not going to be biased and give him that title. Legend is a term that should be reserved for generational talent (Richard, Howe, Gretzky, Yzerman, Sakic, Lemeuix, Orr, etc.). Maybe if he had multiple 100-point seasons and a cup or two under his belt then this could actually be debatable.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:56 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
You're joking right? I never considered Iginla a legend even in his prime. Iginla is a very damn good player, my all-time favourite, but I'm not going to be biased and give him that title. Legend is a term that should be reserved for generational talent (Richard, Howe, Gretzky, Yzerman, Sakic, Lemeuix, Orr, etc.). Maybe if he had multiple 100-point seasons and a cup or two under his belt then this could actually be debatable.
So our definitions of legends are different? A damn good hockey player to me is Curtis Glencross. A legend to me is someone who will be in the HOF.

Old
08-31-2012, 02:24 AM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Quote:
He's that next step down from Legend. There are only a few players that deserve that title. The only one currently playing is on his last legs in Jersey.

While Jarome is an incredible player, legend might be going a bit far, he didn't revolutionize the position, he isn't a multiple cup winner... He's that next step down from Legend, where you have incredible players like Coffey, Lanny, Sundin(meh), Shanny. Guys who played very well, has great seasons... but didn't have that iconic next step.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:32 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
He's that next step down from Legend. There are only a few players that deserve that title. The only one currently playing is on his last legs in Jersey.

While Jarome is an incredible player, legend might be going a bit far, he didn't revolutionize the position, he isn't a multiple cup winner... He's that next step down from Legend, where you have incredible players like Coffey, Lanny, Sundin(meh), Shanny. Guys who played very well, has great seasons... but didn't have that iconic next step.
I dont know if you can call Jarome an NHL legend. He is definitely a calgary sports legend.

One thing people always forget is that he was arguably the face on the NHL pre-lockout.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 03:14 PM
BigTree92

Quote:
So our definitions of legends are different? A damn good hockey player to me is Curtis Glencross. A legend to me is someone who will be in the HOF.
Then I'd have to say your standards are lower. Iginla is in the same class as Sundin, Thornton, Shanny, etc. HOF locks but not legends.

Old
08-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Elite yes. Legendary, no.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:10 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Then I'd have to say your standards are lower. Iginla is in the same class as Sundin, Thornton, Shanny, etc. HOF locks but not legends.
And maybe I'd say your standards are ridiculous? Are we arguing symantics here or having a pissing contest?

Old
08-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

vCash: 132
Iginla's a HHOF, no doubt... but it doesn't make him a legend. He's definitely been elite, right now he's "damn good", but legendary IMO should be in the talk constantly for say, top 20 at thier position all time.

Lidstrom was legendary.
Brodeur is legendary.
Iginla... is not near these two players. At one point, he was considered "the best in the world" around the 2004 lockout. But that qualifies him for superstar, or elite only IMO. As someone who likes reading the HoH forums as well, there's no way that gang of guys would put Iginla as a legendary player... and they know their ****. I usually agree with them.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 04:00 AM
BigTree92

Quote:
And maybe I'd say your standards are ridiculous? Are we arguing symantics here or having a pissing contest?
No I'm just stating my opinion, and I think its pretty widely agreed upon what denotes an NHL legend. I think this is getting a bit off topic though so drop me a PM if you want to discuss it further.

Old
09-01-2012, 06:11 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Iginla's a HHOF, no doubt... but it doesn't make him a legend. He's definitely been elite, right now he's "damn good", but legendary IMO should be in the talk constantly for say, top 20 at thier position all time.

Lidstrom was legendary.
Brodeur is legendary.
Iginla... is not near these two players. At one point, he was considered "the best in the world" around the 2004 lockout. But that qualifies him for superstar, or elite only IMO. As someone who likes reading the HoH forums as well, there's no way that gang of guys would put Iginla as a legendary player... and they know their ****. I usually agree with them.
I somewhat disagree.

Which forward has been better/more consistent than Jarome Iginla over the past decade? The answer is probably.... nobody.

At the end of the day however I highly doubt that he will be considered by most as an all time great, which ultimately puts him a a notch below that stature. Whether that is deserved or not is another question all together.

Unfortunately his prime years cames during the lowest scoring era in hockey history. That alone will have a somewhat negative effect on how his career will be viewed in the future. He also lost a full season of his best hockey due to the previous lockout as well.

Hypothetically lets assume he plays five more seasons, and averages roughly 50 points a year. That would put him at approximately 1323 points for his career. Now if that was to come to fruition, then the season he lost to the lockout would have been the only reason why he would not have hit 1400 points for his career (which would rank him in the top 20 of all time)

I know that is making more than a handful of assumptions but when his career finally draws to a close, and you get an opportunity to look back on what he has accomplished, then maybe the "legend" title will not appear as out of reach as it is today.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 12:03 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I somewhat disagree.

Which forward has been better/more consistent than Jarome Iginla over the past decade? The answer is probably.... nobody.

At the end of the day however I highly doubt that he will be considered by most as an all time great, which ultimately puts him a a notch below that stature. Whether that is deserved or not is another question all together.

Unfortunately his prime years cames during the lowest scoring era in hockey history. That alone will have a somewhat negative effect on how his career will be viewed in the future. He also lost a full season of his best hockey due to the previous lockout as well.

Hypothetically lets assume he plays five more seasons, and averages roughly 50 points a year. That would put him at approximately 1323 points for his career. Now if that was to come to fruition, then the season he lost to the lockout would have been the only reason why he would not have hit 1400 points for his career (which would rank him in the top 20 of all time)

I know that is making more than a handful of assumptions but when his career finally draws to a close, and you get an opportunity to look back on what he has accomplished, then maybe the "legend" title will not appear as out of reach as it is today.
Great post

Old
09-05-2012, 12:14 AM
TheJudge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
He's that next step down from Legend. There are only a few players that deserve that title. The only one currently playing is on his last legs in Jersey..
Outta current players I think you have to include Jagr as well.

TheJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:56 AM
tfong

I read this thread as injury lol..

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 04:44 PM
DrunkElkCZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw_GGsASRo0&feature=plcp
R. Cervenka (1+2) leads Slavia in his first game this season to win 3:2 over Kladno in ELH

DrunkElkCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 07:14 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkElkCZ View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw_GGsASRo0&feature=plcp
R. Cervenka (1+2) leads Slavia in his first game this season to win 3:2 over Kladno in ELH
Nice! Really showed his passing abilities, how did he do in the other aspects of the game?

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 07:32 PM
AfricanHerbsman

whats the deal with Romans contract? if the NHL is locked out do we lose him altogether? im under the impression that his contract doesnt carry over

AfricanHerbsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 07:34 PM
AfricanHerbsman

Quote:
well NHL 2012 has jeremy ronick as a legend so........

AfricanHerbsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I read this thread as injury lol..
Just did the same...

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:18 PM
DrunkElkCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Nice! Really showed his passing abilities, how did he do in the other aspects of the game?
Well he was great, simply all over the place, playing with Vladimir Sobotka (St. Louis B.) and Jaroslav Kalla on his wings. He also played very well in the penalty kills. It was obvious that his skills are much over the level of the Czech league. (same as other players from NHL - Jagr, Plekanec, Tlusty and Zidlicky on the one side and Cervenka and Sobotka on the other)

DrunkElkCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Ashasx

From what I saw, he was quite efficient in the corners for a guy an inch or two short of 6 feet. It will be interested to see if he can do the same against some better competition.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:16 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post

Lidstrom was legendary.
Brodeur is legendary.
Jaromir Jagr and arguably Teemu Selanne, and Pavel Bure (HM to Marian Hossa, Martin St. Louis, and Daniel Alfredsson) are the only RWs who played during Iginla's career who match his greatness. He's a lock for the Hall and would be a top RW in any era. Legend? Perhaps, perhaps not. But certainly an amazing player.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 02:07 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
As an update on Cervenka he now has 8 points in 4 games in the Czech league and is tied for 2nd in the league for ppg only behind Plekanec. http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...ame=&order=PPG

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote