HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Oleksiak vs Tinordi

View Poll Results: Oleksiak or Tinordi
Oleksiak 35 38.04%
Tinordi 57 61.96%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Maitz
Chucky#27

vCash: 500
Oleksiak vs Tinordi

If you have to take one of them, who would it be ?

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 06:41 PM
bruinsfan46

I'd take Tinordi and I'm not real high on Tinordi. I'm just really meh on Oleksiak. Never impressed me in live viewings in the OHL. At least Tinordi is sometimes physical. Both could impose their will more for their size.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 06:45 PM
thrillhouse99

Tinordi. I like what I've seen from him more than oleksiak to this point.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Habsawce

This is actually a tough poll, as defensemen usually take longer to develop and on top that defensive-dmen take even longer.

I believe it's going to be 3-4 years before we can really evaluate who will be more effective in the NHL, so really I'd say that any pick is a stab in the dark.
I obviously chose Tinordi as I'm a Habs fan and I like to pretend my team always makes the right choices haha

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I wouldn't take two Tinordi's over Oleksiak, and it's not because I'm a Dallas fan. I've never been impressed with Tinordi, I see him as a guy who's never going to put up even decent offensive number (20 points) and isn't going to be one of the top defensive defensemen either. A solid number four or bottom pairing defensemen who you can trust defending in the final minutes or on the penalty kill, but guy who will never see powerplay minutes and has a split of 30/70 offensie/defensive zone starts.

Now don't get me wrong I don't see Oleksiak as a 60 point number one defensemen but I see a lot more offensive upsde. I don't see Oleksiak being a much worse defensive player but I can see Oleksiak putting up steady 30 point sesons in his prime, playing top PK miutes and second pairing PP minutes.

Something I woud be shocked if Tinordi ever comes close to.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 07:59 PM
vad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I wouldn't take two Tinordi's over Oleksiak, and it's not because I'm a Dallas fan. I've never been impressed with Tinordi, I see him as a guy who's never going to put up even decent offensive number (20 points) and isn't going to be one of the top defensive defensemen either. A solid number four or bottom pairing defensemen who you can trust defending in the final minutes or on the penalty kill, but guy who will never see powerplay minutes and has a split of 30/70 offensie/defensive zone starts.

Now don't get me wrong I don't see Oleksiak as a 60 point number one defensemen but I see a lot more offensive upsde. I don't see Oleksiak being a much worse defensive player but I can see Oleksiak putting up steady 30 point sesons in his prime, playing top PK miutes and second pairing PP minutes.

Something I woud be shocked if Tinordi ever comes close to.
You're totally right about the offensive part of Tinordi's game. But I think he'll be a pretty good defensive d-man. Sure, he need to work on his decisions with the puck but he's already a good skater, pincher and he's tough. He'll probably play the same game as Komisarek when he was in Montreal; play tough minutes with an offensive guy like Subban (Markov/Komisarek). Even if he's not a typical number 2, I think he'll play top pairing minutes with a lot of PK. Even if it's not going to give the teams more goals, his leadership will be usefull.

vad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 08:15 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Tinordi.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Ward Cornell

If both players were 6'-1" and 210lbs they would be lucky to be drafted in the first 6 rounds!

I just wish there was a MEH! in the poll!

Ward Cornell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:19 PM
vad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
If both players were 6'-1" and 210lbs they would be lucky to be drafted in the first 6 rounds!

I just wish there was a MEH! in the poll!
It Chara wasn't 6'7 he wouldn't be Chara

Last edited by TMI: 08-27-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: point was made without the offensive part
vad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 11:43 PM
17Kurri

I think Oleksiak's skating is very underrated and is much better than Tinordi's. Also, there are signs of an offensive game in Oleksiak's arsenal. Tinordi's meaner/nastier, though.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 11:54 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Definitely Oleksiak.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 550
Based on my viewings, I'd say Oleksiak has a higher offensive ceiling and potential to be a two-way defenseman, while Tinordi has looked more consistent and refined defensively of the two.

I think Tinordi is the safer of the two; Oleksiak seems very, very raw. So in that sense, I think Tinordi has a better chance of reaching his ceiling. But if it's just pure upside, Oleksiak gets my vote.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:32 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Oleksiak looked okay at the WJC, but I otherwise do not have enough viewings to give a definite opinion. I think Tinordi is pretty solid, I like what I see and I think he'll be exactly what Montreal needs for the future.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
It Chara wasn't 6'7 he wouldn't be Chara
6'9...

Last edited by TMI: 08-27-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: quote
Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:29 AM
EveryDay

Tinordi was really good at WJC this year and was the best D on London in the Memo Cup

EveryDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I would agree Oleksiak has the higher ceiling due to more refined offensive tools (Tyler Myers in a best case scenario) than Tinordi. That said, Tinordi is an absolute beast with a snarly disposition. He's also a good skater for his size. I think that will ultimately ease his transition and make him more of a success at the next level.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Tinordi.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
London really helped Tinordi's game big time. He has improved big time in the last 2 years and still think he can get better. Safer pick

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:42 PM
ChoseLa

At last training camp Tinordi played like a pro. It's not an indication but at least it proves he has the game to make to the pros.

To me Oleksiak is project that could turn out to be nothing in the NHL, and i doubt his ceiling is as high as some people are saying. He's a Ryan O'Byrne/Cody Franson at best.

So Tinordi for me but i'm a fanboy. There is always w=questions surrounding those defensive defencemen coming out of junior, so even then we don't know what to excpect of Tinordi.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:28 PM
newfy

Never been impressed with Tinordi. No puck skills on the guy whatsoever, hes huge so he looks solid in junior but I dont see it translating very well. See him more of a bottom pairing guy who can get in on some PK and is more of an enforcfer type really to intimidate some other teams forwards

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Benny FTW
k

Tinordi

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
At last training camp Tinordi played like a pro. It's not an indication but at least it proves he has the game to make to the pros.

To me Oleksiak is project that could turn out to be nothing in the NHL, and i doubt his ceiling is as high as some people are saying. He's a Ryan O'Byrne/Cody Franson at best.

So Tinordi for me but i'm a fanboy. There is always w=questions surrounding those defensive defencemen coming out of junior, so even then we don't know what to excpect of Tinordi.
If you're going to pick on the low side of things, then Tinordi is a Hal Gill or Jeff Schultz at best.

Old
08-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
If you're going to pick on the low side of things, then Tinordi is a Hal Gill or Jeff Schultz at best.
I think the Habs would be happy if Tinordi had a Hal Gill-like career. He's much more nasty than Gill though while occupying the same amount of space.

Old
08-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I think the Habs would be happy if Tinordi had a Hal Gill-like career. He's much more nasty than Gill though while occupying the same amount of space.
It's not a slight against Gill but when they drafted Tinrodi I think they hoped he would become more than a bottom pairing defensemen, because that's what Gill has been for the majority of his career.

Old
08-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
It's not a slight against Gill but when they drafted Tinrodi I think they hoped he would become more than a bottom pairing defensemen, because that's what Gill has been for the majority of his career.
Maybe. I think they knew he was a project that stood a good chance of being a top six d-man at the NHL level for a number of years. That's a worthy mid-1st round draft pick IMO.