HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where would Dekeyser fall in on our prospect list?

Old
08-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Jimbo7200

vCash: 500
Where would Dekeyser fall in on our prospect list?

I remember all the hype about Danny from the beginning of this year. His not signing really slowed a lot of that down, but I'm interested as to where all of you think he would fall in on our prospect rankings?

Also, are we in for a Schultz-esque courting frenzy with Dekeyser looking forward?

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 08:04 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
I remember all the hype about Danny from the beginning of this year. His not signing really slowed a lot of that down, but I'm interested as to where all of you think he would fall in on our prospect rankings?

Also, are we in for a Schultz-esque courting frenzy with Dekeyser looking forward?
I just hope they can still land the kid. He seemed like a shoe-in to be a Wing a year ago, but I'm not so sure now. I was bummed that he turned down the invite to prospect camp.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 08:21 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post

Don't think he will get the Schultz level hype because his offense just isn't there. He will be the top college free agent so some hype will be around him. I really like his game, but I wouldn't put him above Marchenko. Even Backman could be in front of him in terms of age, development and ceiling. I don't think he lands inside the top 15 on our current list. He is a much better version of Lashoff but I just think people should keep this in mind when the DeKeyser hype train takes off this year. He has qualities but his expectations could get out of whack, he is a defensive d-man. I think DeKeyser will be best served to go to a team that might not rush him right away, his immediate NHL ready status still is something I am not totally sold on. Not bury him for a couple of years, but maybe not pencil him in going into training camp.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
This would have been a great year for Dekeyser to have turned pro. He probably would have been in the AHL, and with the lockout the AHL would likely have a number of guys playing who would normally be in the nHL. He could have cut his teeth against slightly elevated competition this year, while maybe not having the weight of making an NHL roster on him.

Last edited by Winger98: 08-27-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Harnessed in Slums

That's a really tough call. I'd put him beneath our top level defensive prospects like Ouellet and Sproul and Jensen. These guys all have really high ceilings as offensive defensemen and DeKeyser seems like more of a defensive defenseman. I agree with RW19405 that he'd probably rank somewhere around the top 10-15.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

vCash: 50
You can't take him from us (WMU) so easy lol.

I was there in the Joe shouting "One more year!" When Western defeated Michigan in the CCHA Tornament. He must have heard me.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 08:53 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
This would have been a great year for Dekeyser to have turned pro. He probably would have been in the AHL, and with the lockout the AHL would likely have a number of guys playing who would normally be in the nHL. He could have cut his teeth against slightly elevated competition this year, while maybe not having the weight of making an NHL roster on him.
If he's as good as advertised, I doubt he would see much time in the AHL if the Wings had signed him. It seems unlikely that a stud blue-chip defensive defenseman would be unable to beat out White and/or Kindl and/or Colaiacovo on a team that doesn't have any good PKing defensemen.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
If he's as good as advertised, I doubt he would see much time in the AHL if the Wings had signed him. It seems unlikely that a stud blue-chip defensive defenseman would be unable to beat out White and/or Kindl and/or Colaiacovo on a team that doesn't have any good PKing defensemen.
We sign a guy like CC, and don't move anyone in a trade, and I don't think Dekeyser makes the team. The point was more towards the likelihood of a lockout, though. Guys who would have been rookies in the NHL would have been pushed back into the AHL, elevating the level of competition and giving Dekeyser a better adjustment from college to the pros.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Anchor Town

Below Smith, above Jensen, Ouellet, and Sproul. On the overall list, probably only behind Smith, Nyquist, and Jarnkrok. Probably right there with Tatar and Sheahan

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Below Smith, above Jensen, Ouellet, and Sproul. On the overall list, probably only behind Smith, Nyquist, and Jarnkrok. Probably right there with Tatar and Sheahan
I'd definitely rank him behind:

1. Smith
2. Nyquist
3. Jarnkrok
4. Jurco
5. Sproul
6. Ouellet
7. Jensen
8. Sheahan
9. Tvrdon
10. Mrazek

Like Andersson, Lashoff and Tatar I think he could earn a spot on the roster this year but the organization would more than likely send him down to GR. Who knows, maybe that's why he decided to spend another year in the ZOO.

Old
08-27-2012, 10:25 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
We sign a guy like CC, and don't move anyone in a trade, and I don't think Dekeyser makes the team. The point was more towards the likelihood of a lockout, though. Guys who would have been rookies in the NHL would have been pushed back into the AHL, elevating the level of competition and giving Dekeyser a better adjustment from college to the pros.
If he's as good as advertised though, that was the key point I was driving at.

If he's really that good, I find it hard to believe that he would lose to Kindl and White for a roster spot when they're in such dire need of PKers.

If he's not really that good, then it shouldn't upset him to spend some time in the AHL.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:21 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Pretty much this. Dekeyser Soze would be #4 on my list, behind Smith, Nyquist, and nipping at the heels of Jarnkrok. He has the size, the skating, the smarts, the shot, the puck movement, the physical play, just a really great package. If he adds a little more muscle this year, he'll be NHL-ready for 2013-14.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:49 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Pretty much this. Dekeyser Soze would be #4 on my list, behind Smith, Nyquist, and nipping at the heels of Jarnkrok. He has the size, the skating, the smarts, the shot, the puck movement, the physical play, just a really great package. If he adds a little more muscle this year, he'll be NHL-ready for 2013-14.
Coming from a guy like Jaster who watches a lot of NCA I'll believe that,

Fabricoh he would definitely be in front of guys like Tvrdon. I think the hype for him is getting a little too much. Hes a solid prospect but has a long way to go compared to Dekeyser who is pretty much NHL ready and also has solid potential as an impact shut down type

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:14 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Coming from a guy like Jaster who watches a lot of NCA I'll believe that,
Honestly, I only saw Dekeyser in a few games last year. But he stood out every time. To me, his combination of tools, NHL readiness, and overall upside would put him pretty high on the Wings list for me. We have some other prospects who maybe have better tools or higher upside, but they are either too far away from the NHL, have too many mitigating flaws, or some combination of both, to go above a guy like Dekeyser.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:33 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Honestly, I only saw Dekeyser in a few games last year. But he stood out every time. To me, his combination of tools, NHL readiness, and overall upside would put him pretty high on the Wings list for me. We have some other prospects who maybe have better tools or higher upside, but they are either too far away from the NHL, have too many mitigating flaws, or some combination of both, to go above a guy like Dekeyser.
I have seen him a few times as well, like a lot of what you're saying about him when I watched him as well. However quick point, can we stop saying NHL ready about him. He said he wasn't ready, his parents said he wasn't ready to family friend Nill which was relayed in articles, his former NHL coach said he wasn't ready. Read that closely, it says he is not NHL ready. Should he be after this year? From what I have seen, probably. I don't think he is as ready as say Ouellet. Now that is my opinion and I understand people might not see it the same way. I do have questions though about the huge increase in pace he is going to see and the fact he is very much a stay at home type if he wouldn't be better served to at least break in at the AHL level for even a couple of months. He can overpower half the people he plays against right now, that advantage goes away in the pro game.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:43 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I have seen him a few times as well, like a lot of what you're saying about him when I watched him as well. However quick point, can we stop saying NHL ready about him. He said he wasn't ready, his parents said he wasn't ready to family friend Nill which was relayed in articles, his former NHL coach said he wasn't ready. Read that closely, it says he is not NHL ready.
Well, I never said he is NHL-ready (maybe you were directing that at other posters?). I said he'll be NHL-ready next season if he adds the appropriate amount of weight/muscle this season, and I'll stick by that.

Quote:
Should he be after this year? From what I have seen, probably. I don't think he is as ready as say Ouellet. Now that is my opinion and I understand people might not see it the same way.
So you think Ouellet will probably be NHL-ready for the 2013-14 season? I think that's doubtful. Because of his smaller size and weaker skating, relative to Dekeyser, I think 1) he's a prime candidate for at least a year in GR, and 2) he'll have a longer transition to the pro/NHL game than Dekeyser.

Quote:
I do have questions though about the huge increase in pace he is going to see and the fact he is very much a stay at home type if he wouldn't be better served to at least break in at the AHL level for even a couple of months. He can overpower half the people he plays against right now, that advantage goes away in the pro game.
He's more of a two-way defenseman than defensive defenseman, imo. His vision with the puck is superior to that of most run-of-the-mill defensive defenseman. He moves the puck well, which is accentuated by his skating, and he does have a nice shot. But otherwise, I agree. A taste of the AHL would probably be a good thing for his overall transition, even if he could hold his own being thrown right into the NHL.

Old
08-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Rzombo4 prez

I don't really know how high his ceiling is, but I think if you put Dekeyser, Sproul and Xman in an NHL game today, Dekeyser would look the least out of place (as he probably should at his age). He might not be NHL ready, but I think his transition to the NHL will be quicker than most.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:26 AM
doublejack

I'm with Jaster on this. In fact, I might even say that Dekeyser is #3 on my list behind Smith and Nyquist in that he is closer to NHL ready than all the prospects in our system save for those two. Just my opinion. I think he could be a regular in a year. At the very worst he would be #4/#5 in our system, and the highest rated defense prospect after Smith.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Fabricoh he would definitely be in front of guys like Tvrdon. I think the hype for him is getting a little too much. Hes a solid prospect but has a long way to go compared to Dekeyser who is pretty much NHL ready and also has solid potential as an impact shut down type
He's definitely further along than Tvrdon and I am not the biggest Tvrdon fan on the board by a long shot. Tvrdon still has the potential to be a very good skating power forward and those guys are very, very difficult to develop or acquire. DeKeyser is going to be a very solid defensive defenseman. I think his biggest benefit for us is he could help fill out our defensive depth while guys like Sproul, Ouellet and Jensen come along. Oh and he'd easily replace Kindl who simply hasn't developed to the point where he's a lock for the lineup.

So at the end of the day I think DeKeyser is a great prospect given our most glaring need. Due to that I think there is a potential to over-rate him among our prospect pool. I don't think he has the ultimate potential of the guys I list above him. In fact the prospect who might be closest to him is Riley Sheahan, who is definitely an NHL'er but doesn't have the offensive skill many expected when he was drafted.

Old
09-02-2012, 11:34 PM
frankshi

frankshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 03:08 PM
claudetheturtle

What's his NHL upside/comparable? It doesn't sound like he's expected to ever become an offensive D-man?

claudetheturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 06:29 PM
FissionFire

I'd be happy if he could become a solid guy like Adam Foote.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 09:29 PM
jroc86

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me6hDOX2Fu0

Havent seen the kid play before - but he must be pretty unreal. A great NHL defenceman doesnt need to produce 50-60 pts a year - if the hype is warranted this kid should be a big priority next season. If he has another solid year this year I see a Schultz'esque situation happening.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 09:59 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
I'm with Jaster on this. In fact, I might even say that Dekeyser is #3 on my list behind Smith and Nyquist in that he is closer to NHL ready than all the prospects in our system save for those two. Just my opinion. I think he could be a regular in a year. At the very worst he would be #4/#5 in our system, and the highest rated defense prospect after Smith.
Imo, Tatar and Jarnkrok are NHL ready but at the same time not ready to be impact players. Depends what the definition of NHL ready is. The Wings obviously like the prospects to be ready to contribute to a winning team before putting them in, not just skate with them. But based on your and jaster's review, I sure hope we can get him signed. A big defensive guy close to NHL ready would be a welcomed addition to our prospect pool.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me6hDOX2Fu0

Havent seen the kid play before - but he must be pretty unreal. A great NHL defenceman doesnt need to produce 50-60 pts a year - if the hype is warranted this kid should be a big priority next season. If he has another solid year this year I see a Schultz'esque situation happening.
He's not comparable to Schultz IMO. First off Schultz was a very high draft pick while DeKeyser was never drafted. Second Schultz was a very high quality offensive defenseman in college. Schultz also comes from a program that has churned out high quality d-men.

Will there be interest in DeKeyser? Absolutely due to his development and the fact he can be acquired for nothing other than cap space. He'd be a great fit in Detroit IMO due to the fact Kindl hasn't developed to the point where he can lock down the #6 spot and I personally am not sold on Quincey. It will also be a few years until Ouellet, Sproul and Jensen make the big club.

The interesting question is why DeKeyser didn't come to prospects camp this year? I'm not sure what the story is right there but it's obvious there is some serious interest on Detroit's part which makes a lot of sense to me. I think he has the potential to be a Bryce Salvador type of d-man.