HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I hope there is a season...

Old
08-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Schroedingers Cat

vCash: 500
I hope there is a season...

I just found out that I won a chance (through the Maple Leafs, no less) to buy fairly cheap tickets to see the Winter Classic and either the OHL doubleheader or the Grifs game at Comerica Park. Stupid soon-to-be lockout!

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:21 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
I just found out that I won a chance (through the Maple Leafs, no less) to buy fairly cheap tickets to see the Winter Classic and either the OHL doubleheader or the Grifs game at Comerica Park. Stupid soon-to-be lockout!
You can tell the players don't think the Owners will keep them locked out through the 1st because of the Winter Classic. I of course think they are wrong, the Owners don't care as much about the Winter Classic as people seem to be throwing out.

Almost as important to just not missing anytime, is by the end of October my guess is HBO has to kill 24/7 if an agreement hasn't been reached. They almost didn't pick it up this year anyway, so that is going to be killed in a hurry. I have really been looking forward to that. Obviously care more about a season in general, but the Winter Classic loss will be deflating. By the way the second the NHL cancels the Winter Classic around Christmas if it comes to that, you can kiss the season goodbye. While I don't think it would change the Owners bargaining positions to the level some are speculating. Once they have to axe it, they have already hurt their big television partner, getting their deal only will become that much more important.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:53 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Congrats on the tickets...lets keep our fingers crossed so that you can use them.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
Don't worry, there could be a lock-out, but there will be a season in december at latest.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 06:39 PM
torero

I am convinced that, if their is a lockout ... it won't last.

In case of lockout, everybody is loosing money ... and big money !! i can't imagine that they will maintain a tough stance. They are more likely to accept a compromise ... that will be re-discussed in a year.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:59 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I really hope there is a season too.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:21 PM
MissNHL

If there is a lock-out that last the entire season, the Wings still have the Winter Classic the following year.

MissNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:34 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
You can tell the players don't think the Owners will keep them locked out through the 1st because of the Winter Classic. I of course think they are wrong, the Owners don't care as much about the Winter Classic as people seem to be throwing out.

Almost as important to just not missing anytime, is by the end of October my guess is HBO has to kill 24/7 if an agreement hasn't been reached. They almost didn't pick it up this year anyway, so that is going to be killed in a hurry. I have really been looking forward to that. Obviously care more about a season in general, but the Winter Classic loss will be deflating. By the way the second the NHL cancels the Winter Classic around Christmas if it comes to that, you can kiss the season goodbye. While I don't think it would change the Owners bargaining positions to the level some are speculating. Once they have to axe it, they have already hurt their big television partner, getting their deal only will become that much more important.
Not really. Their contract with NBC is structured in a way that even if the NHL season is cancelled in full the league will get paid the full amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
I am convinced that, if their is a lockout ... it won't last.

In case of lockout, everybody is loosing money ... and big money !! i can't imagine that they will maintain a tough stance. They are more likely to accept a compromise ... that will be re-discussed in a year.
Eh, if the reports are true that anywhere from 19 to 23 teams are losing money, than technically it would be better for them NOT to play a season since it won't cost them millions more out of pocket to fund the team. The only real losers if a season is lost are the top 5 or so revenue teams (NYR, MTL, TOR, DET, VAN) who will lose out on tens of millions. The rest of the teams lose out on chump change or will be better off not having a season unless they get the format they want in the CBA.

FissionFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:06 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

This probably means no 24/7 on HBO

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
This probably means no 24/7 on HBO
I know. Of course the NHL is gonna lock when the Wings are finally on 24/7.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Tomas W

Re FissionFire: I highly doubt that the player salaries is the only costs a NHL team has. All teams will lose money without revenue.

Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:49 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
I know. Of course the NHL is gonna lock when the Wings are finally on 24/7.
More ammo for the anti-Bettman army (aka. Wings fans)

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:16 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Re FissionFire: I highly doubt that the player salaries is the only costs a NHL team has. All teams will lose money without revenue.
Yes, but the majority will lose LESS money in a lockout than they would if a season were played. That's the problem and the main reason the players have no real leverage. When the majority of teams are profitable, players have leverage because not playing costs the owners money. When most teams are so far in the red than not playing a season saves results in less red ink than playing it, then there is no incentive whatsoever for the owners to to cave in leaving the players with very little bargaining power. Until the majority of teams are healthy and profitable you can expect the players to essentially have each new CBA's terms dictated to them by the owners, and they can either accept that or sit out as long as it takes for them to cave. It's the sad reality of the financial side of the sport. Players are gonna get shafted until the teams are mostly strong.

FissionFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:16 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

I'd rather not miss any games. I doubt you'll miss the WC. I wouldn't worry about it dude... Then again... PA vs Ownership ideals are definitely worrysome.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote