HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues projected lines

Old
08-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Thekidline

vCash: 500
Blues projected lines

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=640067
what do you agree with?... what do you disagree with?

Thekidline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:13 AM
The Note
Overrated

Still not a fan of D'ags on the 4th line, he's just not a fourth line player, other than that can't complain. Let's just hope we can see this lineup in action before december (or at all...)

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:22 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Shatty and Jackman swap sides, but that could have been an honest typo. I honestly think Cole will get the opportunity to play with Pietrangelo to start the season or at least at the start of camp.

On the forward side of things, I still think Steen is the 3rd line center, with Schwartz and D'Agostini battling for the last top 9 spot. Sobotka will start on the 4th line.

I think these could be some pretty good, balanced lines where everyone compliments each other.

Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko
McDonald-Steen-Stewart

That top 9 only works if Schwartz has a big camp. I think Stewart would excel with McDonald and Steen as they are our best players on the rush and McDonald can create opportunities for Stewart to bang the easy ones in, which are Stewart's main 2 ways of scoring.

Each line will get about the same even strength time, so Schwartz on the "1st" line does not mean he will get that type of minutes. Opposite goes for McDonald and Steen on the "3rd" line.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:03 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I'm not too sure about Sobotka as the 3rd line center, but I think as long as Steen is on that line it will be successful. Actually, I can picture some great chemistry forming there with Tarasenko.

I'm a little leary of the Berglund-Stewart pairing on the same line. McDonald should provide some consistency and stability, but we really need to see maturation from Berglund....just to be a consistent player. But I can see that line as a potential trouble spot, putting too much pressure from opposing defenses back onto the top line.

D'Agostini is going to have to either 1) wait around for an injury or 2) add some defensive grit to his game if he wants regular ice time. I have a hard time picturing him being effective on the 4th line. I thought that experiment looked terrible in the post-season. And if he doesn't establish himself in a role out of camp, he risks being made completely irrelevant by Schwartz.

Very interesting that Cole is the top line pairing buddy with Pietro. I think this would function about as good as the Colaiacovo partnership worked, but its another potential trouble spot. Cole could be in over his head if that's really the case.

I do like the idea of Schwartz heading to Peoria to continue his development.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:22 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I'd swap Steen and Sobotka, Reaves and D'Ags, Tarasenko and Stewart. I think the D is what we will see during training camp/pre season/start of regular season. If it doesn't work, there will be a move. Army has said multiple times that he understands there's a hole on D. If Cole can take on that role already, then I think it stays like that for the majority of the season. I still think playoff time is when we'll see if those pairings truly work. That lineup without catastrophic injuries is easily a playoff team.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Thekidline

Im in agreement with the idea of sobotka on the 4th line with steen centering the 3rd.

Thekidline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:34 PM
BlueDream

I would do something like this:

McDonald-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Stewart
Sobotka-Steen-Tarasenko
Langenbrunner-Nichol-Reaves

With Porter and D'Ags as the extras. I could see there being concern about whether or not that 2nd line could click or not but it's not a huge deal as the Blues have the depth to make many different combos. Those are the 12 I would start with though. I know some people might think D'Ags should be playing but he's a good sub and I personally think the Blues are very effective when Reaves is in the lineup. That 4th line can skate, forecheck, hit, pressure the opposing 'D' and just cycle along the boards to wear them down. With Langs and Nichol's veteran leadership, they can play well defensively and be leaders out there too. I like that group.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:47 PM
stlweir

As much as there are things to like about Sobotka I much prefer him on a checking line. Hopefully Schwartz has gotten stronger this off season and will earn a spot on one of the top three lines. There a several interesting line combination possibilities.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Alklha

By the time the NHL season will likely start, I'm pretty sure that Schwartz will be in the line-up when opening night comes around. Agree that Sobotka will likely remain on the fourth line and Steen moving to centre.

Schwartz - Backes - Oshie
Perron - Berglund - Tarasenko
McDonald - Steen - Stewart
Sobotka - Nichol - Langenbrunner
Reaves/D'Agostini

I don't see D'Agostini getting 4th line time, but with our inability to avoid injuries for any period of time means he'll see a decent amount of time anyway.

Defense basically speaks for itself, apart from the mix up on the Jax/Shatty sides. Cole got time with Pietrangelo last season, and I expect he'll be given a proper chance to make that spot his own in the first 10-12 games before we think of moving Pietrangelo to the left and pairing him with Polak.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 07:06 PM
ChicagoBlues

Immediately I thought of the exact same thing that most others here have; Steen centering the 3rd line. I think Sobotka is wasted at center.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 08:25 PM
kimzey59

I like the forward lines.
Perron-Backes-Oshie have moment of sheer dominance.
McDonald seems to click with both Berglund and Stewart on an individual basis, and Berglund and Stewart had great chemistry when Stewie first came over. IF Stewart rebounds, that line could be a real force. There's more history there than people want to remember.
Sobotka's handled the 3rd line center position for most of the 2nd half, is better on FO's, a step faster as a skater and is more effective at pressuring the outlet pass than Steen is. I have real concerns about putting Steen at center, he struggled there in Toronto and is far more effective when he's given free-reign in the corners(which the center doesn't get in our system). Putting him with Steen and Tarasenko gives you a line that should be effective in all 3 zones(Soby and Steen provide a defensive presence while Tarasenko and Steen give you some offensive thrust). Size might be an issue, but that line might be too fast for most D's to catch.
D'Agostini-Nichol-Langenbrunner is a high-energy line that could be a spark plug for the team. Reaves will get his fair share of games on that line so it should shift between a physical based and speed based line on a nightly basis, and that is a match up nightmare for opposing coaches.

Defensively; I still loath the idea of Cole on the top pairing. The 2nd and 3rd pairings look great, but that top pairing is a huge red flag IMO. Cole needs to be pushed down to the 7th spot, and that means bringing in another player.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:03 PM
ExJbeck

McDonald Backes Stewart
Perron Berglund Oshie
Dag's Steen Tarasenko
Sobotka Nichol Langs/Reaves(if contracts were equal for the two, id pick Reaves he can bring more to the lineup)

Pietrangelo Shattenkirk
Russel Polak
Jackman Cole

If another player is added things change obviously on defense. If Schwartz does start, which he might considering PEO will still be playing if there is a lockout, then the forwards change as well.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Bruv
kissin kevin shields

I wouldn't be surprised if Tarasenko works his way up to the 2nd line as the season progresses.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 1320
This is what I think the opening night lines look like:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
Mac-Berglund-Stewart
Sobotka-Steen-Tarasenko
Langs-Nichol-Dags/Reaves

Russell-Petro
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Cole-Polak

This is what I think the lines look at the end of the season

Mac-Backes- Tarasenko
Perron-Berglund-Oshie
Schwartz-Steen-Stewart
Langs-Sobotka-Dags

Petro-Shattenkirk. Trade/Cole-Petro
Jax-Cole. Or. Jax- Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak. Russell/Cole-Polak

The defensive pairings hold more intrigue for me. The top 9 will constantly get juggled no matter what, but Hitchcock seems to want the D pairings to be consistent, so it should be an interesting development in camp(if there is one )

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
This is what I think the opening night lines look like:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
Mac-Berglund-Stewart
Sobotka-Steen-Tarasenko
Langs-Nichol-Dags/Reaves

Russell-Petro
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Cole-Polak

This is what I think the lines look at the end of the season

Mac-Backes- Tarasenko
Perron-Berglund-Oshie
Schwartz-Steen-Stewart
Langs-Sobotka-Dags

Petro-Shattenkirk. Trade/Cole-Petro
Jax-Cole. Or. Jax- Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak. Russell/Cole-Polak

The defensive pairings hold more intrigue for me. The top 9 will constantly get juggled no matter what, but Hitchcock seems to want the D pairings to be consistent, so it should be an interesting development in camp(if there is one )
I don't think D'Agostini will play on the 4th line. He's not gritty enough. He'll be a fill-in for 3rd line. Sobotka should centre the 4th line. And with Schwartz playing on Line 3 for, at least, 1/2 to 2/3 of the season, there'll be little room for D'Agostini, except as an injury fill-in.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:09 PM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I don't think D'Agostini will play on the 4th line. He's not gritty enough. He'll be a fill-in for 3rd line. Sobotka should centre the 4th line. And with Schwartz playing on Line 3 for, at least, 1/2 to 2/3 of the season, there'll be little room for D'Agostini, except as an injury fill-in.
I wonder how many other NHL teams have proven 20 goal scorer riding the bench.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:25 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Right. I'm thinking Nichol centers Sobotka and Langenbrunner. D'Agostini is on the bench until someone gets hurt in the first week.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:33 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Perron-Backes-Oshie
Steen-McDonald-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart
Sobotka-Nichol-Langenbrunner
Extras-Porter,Reaves

D'Agostini dealt for a 3rd before season starts if Armstrong is unable to package him with picks or prospects for a LD.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:18 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Personally, I think between Grachev, Andronov, McRae, and Cracknell, that we will not see Schwartz in the note this year without several injuries. He has some work to do defensively. Dags will fill that spot. Even with a healthy roster, he will be in the top 3 lines. He hasn't played himself off the team. He isn't trade bait, if you don't play him.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:34 PM
h22prelude93

Starting lines
Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Stewart
D'Agostini-Steen-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Nichol-Langenbrunner

Cole-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak

Halak/Elliott

End of Season

McDonald-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Steen-Stewart
Lang-Sobotka-D'Agostini

Pietrangelo-Shattenkirk(possible deadline trade)
Jackman-Polak
Russell-Cole

Halak/Elliott

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Personally, I think between Grachev, Andronov, McRae, and Cracknell, that we will not see Schwartz in the note this year without several injuries. He has some work to do defensively. Dags will fill that spot. Even with a healthy roster, he will be in the top 3 lines. He hasn't played himself off the team. He isn't trade bait, if you don't play him.
Depends on who gets injured. If it is Perron or McDonald, you have to think that they would try and replace their skill level with Schwartz. But I do agree that he has a lot to work on, at least from what we saw last season.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 1320
Quote:
To an extent I agree with you. Dags isn't really suited for the 4th line and could very well slot in as our 3rd line LW, instead of Sobotka(as listed in my starting lineup). The reason I have him finishing on the 4th line, is that I don't believe he is a better option than our projected top 9. Backes, Andy Mc, Berglund, Oshie, Perron, Steen, Stewart, Schwartz and Tarasenko. Right now, most will say he's a better option than Schwartz, which may be true, but I really think Schwartz is going to turn some heads this camp/preseason (if there is one ).

Schwartz has the talent to be one of the Blues few true playmakers, which we desperately need. As long as he has added some body mass, ~10-15lbs he should hold up better than he did at the end of the season. I really believe that Jaden has as much offensive talent as anyone on the current roster(maybe a little less than Perron/Mac), he just needs time in the NHL to take full advantage of his abilities. He may start in Peoria due to the number of 1-way contracts, but it will benefit Jaden and the Blues the faster he can get to NHL speed. I'm going to get killed for this around here, but if Schwartz and Tarasenko play an equal amount of ice time, Schwartz could outscored our Russian Jesus this year.

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:14 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Once he improves his strength then his defensive game will be adequate in the short term. In an interview, about a month after our season finished, Hitchcock was talking as though he expects Schwartz on the team for the whole of next season.

Even if that doesn't happen, if Schwartz has put in the work at the gym this summer, then there is no doubt that he will be the first call up from Peoria unless the injury is to a centre or a 4th liner.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 03:21 PM
stlweir

If the is a lock out at least we can follow Schwartz in Peoria. I expect Scwartz to make the team and play on one of the top three lines.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:16 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

I sure hope Tarasenko breaks out. I might be acquiring him and Holtby for Kreider and Hamilton in my fantasy league.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote