HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 07:18 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Where would Curtis Lazar fit in?

Spezza
Turris
O'Reilly
Zibanejad
Smith
JOB
Grant
Did we forget Iron Maidens C?

Old
02-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I don't think it's impossible for us to get a top 5 pick.

Since losing Karlsson (last 3 games), we've scored on average less than 2 goals per game. Now, that's too small of a sample size to say that the rest of the year will continue like that, but I still don't think it's ridiculous to say that we will average roughly 2.25 goals per game (we currently average 2.29). That would put us in the bottom 5 in the NHL.

Now, I really don't think Craig Anderson is going to be able to play like this for the full season. I'd love it if he could, but if he continued this pace for the rest of the year he would have the most successful season in NHL history. Let's say that for the rest of the year he has a .920 save percentage. Upper-echelon, would probably give him top 5 numbers in the NHL at the very least. Since losing Karlsson (it's actually the same versus the rest of the year), we average around ~32 shots against per game. Assuming Anderson's SP is .920 for the rest of the year, that's 2.66 goals against per game. That would put us right at 15th in the NHL for GAPG.

With a GFPG of ~2.25 and a GAPG of ~2.66, we're going to be losing a lot more then we're going to be winning. This is all hypothetical, I just don't think it's unrealistic to think that we finish the year in the bottom 6. More hypothetical scenarios, but lets say in the remaining 31 games we finish 12-16-3. Not an unreasonable expectation IMO. That would give us a final record of 21-22-5. That would give us a winning percentage of .438 .

If we were to put that into the pace of this year, we would be 24th (7th last).
If we were to put that into the pace of last year, we would be 29th (2nd last).
If we were to put that into the pace of two years ago, we would be 28th (3rd last).

Just a lot of hypothetical babble, but I'm just trying to show that it's not unrealistic to think we could have a high pick this year. If you think Andy's play is sustainable and that our goals for will improve from earlier in the season, than all of what I wrote above is stupid.
Edit/Reply so it doesn't get buried, but thts a worse case scenario IMO.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:23 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

We should draft Steven Harper. He could be a powerful ally.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
We should draft Steven Harper. He could be a powerful ally.
Then get Paul Martin from the Pens.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:33 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Federik Guathier. I like him. Size (6'5), speed, hands, and responsible 2 way player. Good offensive upside according to several scouts.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:35 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Then get Paul Martin from the Pens.
Bi partisan love fest.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Just a lot of hypothetical babble, but I'm just trying to show that it's not unrealistic to think we could have a high pick this year. If you think Andy's play is sustainable and that our goals for will improve from earlier in the season, than all of what I wrote above is stupid.
Basically I think our goal scoring should still sit around the middle of the league. We have a good system with some untapped offensive talents on the team. We're not anywhere near the worst offensive team in the league even without Karlsson and Spezza.

Obviously there's no way Anderson can keep up this level of play (can he?) otherwise it will statistically be the best (even if shortened) season of all time by a goalie.

Assuming that our goals go up and our goaltending wavers a bit I still can't see us going worse than .500 IMO. Too many bad teams in the East...Buffalo, Washington, Florida, New York (I) & (R), Winnipeg...even Toronto, Montreal, Tampa Bay and New Jersey aren't that great.

There's a good chance given our current position we could still ride Andy's back into the playoffs. Michalek and Regin will be back next week.

Especially if you assume that Spezza's estimated recovery time was 2 months. If we get him back around March 27th - 30th we'll have him back for 14 games. That could be a huge boost.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Bahahahaha...oh god.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Yep the Rangers can go in trip 6 of our players and finally get a goal after another ******** penalty.

**** this league.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:17 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 700
I'm fairly confident that we will get a pretty good player no matter where we draft. Sens scouts are probably top 3 in the NHL.

Now so long as they stick with BPA and not take a need like 2011 we will be fine.

Last edited by DJB: 02-21-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Hale The Villain

People in favour of tanking shake your heads.

This team just doesn't give up.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:35 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post
Federik Guathier. I like him. Size (6'5), speed, hands, and responsible 2 way player. Good offensive upside according to several scouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
People in favour of tanking shake your heads.

This team just doesn't give up.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I don't think anyone should be in favour of tanking.

Anyone who would rather tank than be in the playoffs is dumb. That said, I understand why people are fine with losing.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
I don't think anyone should be in favour of tanking.

Anyone who would rather tank than be in the playoffs is dumb. That said, I understand why people are fine with losing.
This is a good way of putting it. I want to win, but am not upset if we lose.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:57 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
This is a good way of putting it. I want to win, but am not upset if we lose.
Exactly.

There's no way I'm going to be pissed with this team if they don't make the playoffs. When they win, I'm pumped. When they lose, it's fine to think that if they're not in the playoffs that loss could help move up a pick in the draft. If I was a fan of the Rangers or something, losing has no benefit. It's a team that should be winning.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

I want to believe, but I just don't see us getting goaltending like this for the next 30 games. We're getting outshot and outplayed more often that not, despite the gumption our team is showing. Our D is starting to show some leaks, and it's getting tougher for us to get the puck out of our zone, not to mention how difficult it is for us to gain the zone on the PP.

I'm proud of the team, but don't think it's sustainable. Don't think we'll be bottom 5 unless there are more injuries, but don't believe we'll make the playoffs. Hope I'm wrong.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:16 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I want to believe, but I just don't see us getting goaltending like this for the next 30 games. We're getting outshot and outplayed more often that not, despite the gumption our team is showing. Our D is starting to show some leaks, and it's getting tougher for us to get the puck out of our zone, not to mention how difficult it is for us to gain the zone on the PP.

I'm proud of the team, but don't think it's sustainable. Don't think we'll be bottom 5 unless there are more injuries, but don't believe we'll make the playoffs. Hope I'm wrong.
I agree with this sentiment. However glorious a playoff spot would be considering what's been going on this year, I am mentally ready to spend the last part of the season going over draft scenarios in my head.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Things have gone pretty quiet on the O'Reilly front. I wonder if that means something is about to happen, or that things are going to settle down until the off-season.

At any rate...I wouldn't mind getting another PMD in the system that can help alleviate some of the load on Karlsson and add an in-house replacement for the spot we have with Gonchar right now.

Pulock, Morrissey and Hagg are three guys that have really nice skating and offensive instincts. I don't think we'll end up low enough for Pulock, but Hagg especially interests me. Especially if we end up moving someone like Wierchioch to get O'Reilly.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post

At any rate...I wouldn't mind getting another PMD in the system that can help alleviate some of the load on Karlsson and add an in-house replacement for the spot we have with Gonchar right now.

Pulock, Morrissey and Hagg are three guys that have really nice skating and offensive instincts. I don't think we'll end up low enough for Pulock, but Hagg especially interests me. Especially if we end up moving someone like Wierchioch to get O'Reilly.
I think we have several players in the system who will potentially gravitate to balance us out a bit. Besides Wiercioch and Cowen, who should be decent at this going forward, Ceci and Wikstrand should arrive in a few years. Even if just one of them pans out, we should have a solid puck mover on every pairing.

We could always use another one, but I don't think it's a glaring long-term need, although it is certainly a shorter term one.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I think we have several players in the system who will potentially gravitate to balance us out a bit. Besides Wiercioch and Cowen, who should be decent at this going forward, Ceci and Wikstrand should arrive in a few years. Even if just one of them pans out, we should have a solid puck mover on every pairing.

We could always use another one, but I don't think it's a glaring long-term need, although it is certainly a shorter term one.
I suppose...but I see Ceci as more of a two way defenceman that makes smart passes and has a great shot. Cowen is more of a shut-down guy with some decent offensive instincts and Wikstrand is a long shot. It would be nice to have someone in the system that is very good at carrying the puck and settling down the play to QB the 2nd PP and provide extra offensive control while Karlsson is off the ice. We see the kind of impact Karlsson has on the game, and obviously it's a lot to ask for someone that isn't Karlsson to do something similar, but from what little of Morrissey and Pulock I've seen they have potential.

Wierchioch isn't really what I'm envisioning although he has nice upside. Again I find he fits more into a two way role with really crisp breakout passes and threaded passes with smart penetrating shots from the blueline...not as much of someone that can jump in and join the rush but then get back on defence quickly.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:25 PM
wilfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I suppose...but I see Ceci as more of a two way defenceman that makes smart passes and has a great shot. Cowen is more of a shut-down guy with some decent offensive instincts and Wikstrand is a long shot. It would be nice to have someone in the system that is very good at carrying the puck and settling down the play to QB the 2nd PP and provide extra offensive control while Karlsson is off the ice. We see the kind of impact Karlsson has on the game, and obviously it's a lot to ask for someone that isn't Karlsson to do something similar, but from what little of Morrissey and Pulock I've seen they have potential.

Wierchioch isn't really what I'm envisioning although he has nice upside. Again I find he fits more into a two way role with really crisp breakout passes and threaded passes with smart penetrating shots from the blueline...not as much of someone that can jump in and join the rush but then get back on defence quickly.
Seth Jones?

Old
02-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
I'm fairly confident that we will get a pretty good player no matter where we draft. Sens scouts are probably top 3 in the NHL.

Now so long as they stick with BPA and not take a need like 2011 we will be fine.
Not even mad

6th - Mika Zibanejad
21th - Stefan Noesen
24th - Matt Puempel
61th - Shane Prince
96th - Jean-Gabriel Pageau
126th - Fredrik Claesson
156th - Darren Kramer
171th - Max McCormick
186th - Jordan Fransoo
204th - Ryan Dzingel

Nothing to complain as it will probably end up as the best Sens draft ever, or just behind 2008

Old
02-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Who says they dint think Zibby was BPA at 6?

Old
02-23-2013, 05:40 PM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Who says they dint think Zibby was BPA at 6?
Hamilton was BPA - I think even the sens had him as that but selected Zibby as their presumed Best Forward Available. Sure we can debate him or Couturier but that's the only debate you can have. But then again i'm not a Scheifele man..

Old
02-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
Hamilton was BPA - I think even the sens had him as that but selected Zibby as their presumed Best Forward Available. Sure we can debate him or Couturier but that's the only debate you can have. But then again i'm not a Scheifele man..
Unless someone actually saw the Sens list I tend to believe they had Zibby higher.

Murray have been quoted in the past as saying if they have a forward and dman ranked pretty much the same he'll always take the Dman.

Closed Thread