HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Kezia
Benny

vCash: 50

Old
02-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Berserker*

vCash: 500
Kerby Rychel is really lighting it up lately, if we end up with a mid round pick he would be a good target.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Quo

^

I know it's just one shift here but Drouin is a special player.

Fournier doesn't even know what to think about what he just witnessed. He's literally dumbfounded on the bench.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Hard to believe this guy played in Midget AAA last season.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Berserker*

How well does Drouin compare to Datsyuk?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Drouin could be one of the best players in the NHL in a few years. He's approaching Crosby levels of production and play this year.

Honestly he looks like he has the puck on a chain, not a string, a chain attached to his stick.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:30 AM
Orange Thunder

I really want us to pick Nikita Zadorov. Imagine a 'D' led by Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci, Zadorov, Wikstrand. Not sure if I'm forgetting anyone but that would be sick.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:00 AM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

What about Domi? I think this team needs a player like that and he can be had in the middle to late part of the first round. I'm not seeing a top 8 pick so dreaming about the cream of the crop this year is kinda pointless. However, Drouin would be nice and would also give the Sens a great Quebecois while Montreal doesn't have one...could shift some of the fan base over.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

I'll repeat myself. If we draft Max Domi I will literally projectile vomit.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Personally, I really like his game and think his upside is as high as anyone outside of that top tier. His skating and hands are truly elite, and he has a tank of a frame (like his Dad). Has some grit to his game too.

That said, my like for him as a prospect is tempered considerably by the fact that his Dad would likely be at a ton of Sens games going forward, and that very idea does give me a small degree of nausea too.

Let's just hope he is off the board so we don't have to make that call.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReleaseTheLehner View Post
I really want us to pick Nikita Zadorov. Imagine a 'D' led by Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci, Zadorov, Wikstrand. Not sure if I'm forgetting anyone but that would be sick.
Would much rather Nurse, or one of the other d-men with more two-way potential. While Zadorov has potential as a good compliment d-man, getting a stay at home physical defender always seems easier than an all-around defender in the later rounds. Guys like Gryba, Borowiecki and Blood seem like guys you can land in the middle rounds, rather than the 1st round. Too often it seems the physical stay at home defenders who are rated in the 1st round are never quite worth it (Valabik, Teubert, Olsen, McIlrath etc.). They will likely all be NHL players, but are not necessarily going to have better careers than the likes of Boro and Gryba. Even guys like Tinordi and Forbort might end up more depth guys, than top pairing.

If you have a pick early, go for the top pairing puck mover, who ideally also can play a two-way game.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:03 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Would much rather Nurse, or one of the other d-men with more two-way potential. While Zadorov has potential as a good compliment d-man, getting a stay at home physical defender always seems easier than an all-around defender in the later rounds. Guys like Gryba, Borowiecki and Blood seem like guys you can land in the middle rounds, rather than the 1st round. Too often it seems the physical stay at home defenders who are rated in the 1st round are never quite worth it (Valabik, Teubert, Olsen, McIlrath etc.). They will likely all be NHL players, but are not necessarily going to have better careers than the likes of Boro and Gryba. Even guys like Tinordi and Forbort might end up more depth guys, than top pairing.

If you have a pick early, go for the top pairing puck mover, who ideally also can play a two-way game.
Cowen turned out alright for us

Old
02-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Orange Thunder

Quote:

Yeah, I agree with your analysis.

Solid post as always.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
Cowen turned out alright for us
Cowen's projections were much different from any of those guys. If you saw Cowen skate with the puck at the Memorial Cup as a 16 year old, you would undestand he and Zadarov are on different planets at the same age offensively and in terms of skating. And Cowen wasn't as mean or physical at the same age, although with his knee injury it is tough to know given most viewings were when he was so young. Basically, Cowen was drafted as a two-way defender - more in line with Dougie Hamilton - who just happened to have a massive frame (thereby making him more valuable).

Old
02-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Cowen's projections were much different from any of those guys. If you saw Cowen skate with the puck at the Memorial Cup as a 16 year old, you would undestand he and Zadarov are on different planets at the same age offensively and in terms of skating. And Cowen wasn't as mean or physical at the same age, although with his knee injury it is tough to know given most viewings were when he was so young. Basically, Cowen was drafted as a two-way defender - more in line with Dougie Hamilton - who just happened to have a massive frame (thereby making him more valuable).
Actually Zadorov is considered a blue chip guy because of the way he can skate at his size. Zadorov just doesn't have the same offense, but his size and skating are both strengths of his.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:02 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
I now have a legitimate reason to want to draft Max Domi.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:11 AM
balaclava brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReleaseTheLehner View Post
Quote:

Quote:
If we're not in on the big five or six, then drafting Nurse or Zadorov in the 7 or 8 spots is where I would like to be.

I'm inclined to agree with RTL, though. Zadorov would be awesome. However, I don't see him as simply a stay-at-home defencemen. Coming into this season Zadorov's offensive game was very undeveloped. He's been working to develop it as the season has gone on. He reminds me of Cowen in his draft year. While Cowen may have had the better offensive instincts by draft time, I think Zadorov will be similiar in the end. I'm thinking Zadorov becomes another Cowen - a huge, physical defencemen that can put up 30ish points on a consistent basis with the right partner. I recall the 2009 draft where some people are upset we took a 'stay-at-home defencemen' with such a high pick. Zadorov may not have not have top-pairing, #2 ability as Cowen, but I have to think he can become an awesome #3 guy.

With that said, Nurse would be sick, too.

*Edit* After re-reading this post I don't want anyone to assume I'm advocating Zadorov over Nurse. Just that I believe Zadorov will need more time to develop but will be solid second pairing defenceman. For the record, I have Nurse ahead of Zadorov and by a fair margin, although Nurse needs to add a solid 40lbs.

Last edited by balaclava brian: 02-27-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old
02-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

If we're talking about defencemen I would much rather someone in the Pulock or Morrissey mould. A guy that can step in and take the pressure off of Karlsson while also being defensively responsible and throwing big hits. Our defence would be ridiculous for years.

If we came away from the draft with one of Pulock/Morrissey and De la Rose we'd be looking pretty good IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
I now have a legitimate reason to want to draft Max Domi.
I will also post it to youtube.

Last edited by Curtinho: 02-27-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old
02-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Actually Zadorov is considered a blue chip guy because of the way he can skate at his size. Zadorov just doesn't have the same offense, but his size and skating are both strengths of his.
That was my point. I said if you watched Cowen "Skate with the puck" at the Memorial Cup, which is more about puck possession and puck handling, versus just skating. The other guys I mentioned (Teubert, McIlrath, Olsen etc.) all skate really well too, but just don't handle the puck well. Like Zadorov, they look to get rid of the puck quicker when they do handle it and are not comfortable skating with it that much, or hanging on to it. And in the end, guys like Gryba and Borowiecki skate really well too.

If you are big with little offensive potential AND SLOW, you simply don't get taken in the 1st round. Zadorov is a relatively safe pick given his size, temperment and skating, but I just don't see him as ever being a top defender other than a Roszival type. And worst case, he is a fringe NHL player that goes back to Russia for a bigger pay day rather than spend 2-3 years in the AHL for $75k per year.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Indrew

Quote:
Not for emetophobes.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:42 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Hard for Hartman.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
That was my point. I said if you watched Cowen "Skate with the puck" at the Memorial Cup, which is more about puck possession and puck handling, versus just skating. The other guys I mentioned (Teubert, McIlrath, Olsen etc.) all skate really well too, but just don't handle the puck well. Like Zadorov, they look to get rid of the puck quicker when they do handle it and are not comfortable skating with it that much, or hanging on to it. And in the end, guys like Gryba and Borowiecki skate really well too.

If you are big with little offensive potential AND SLOW, you simply don't get taken in the 1st round. Zadorov is a relatively safe pick given his size, temperment and skating, but I just don't see him as ever being a top defender other than a Roszival type. And worst case, he is a fringe NHL player that goes back to Russia for a bigger pay day rather than spend 2-3 years in the AHL for $75k per year.
I think you are either understating Zadorov's skating ability, or overstating guys like McIlrath and Olsen. The difference between these guys is huge, and becomes even bigger when you consider Zadorov is 3-4 years younger, and quite a bit bigger, not to mention Zadorov is very smart on the ice, unlike the others.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
I think you are either understating Zadorov's skating ability, or overstating guys like McIlrath and Olsen. The difference between these guys is huge, and becomes even bigger when you consider Zadorov is 3-4 years younger, and quite a bit bigger, not to mention Zadorov is very smart on the ice, unlike the others.
No, that's not really true. People tend to forget what the "projections" were of 1st round guys in their draft year. At the time, all of the guys I mentioned were touted with "untapped Offensive potential". Even a guy like McIlrath and Olsen, who were probably the lower end offensive guys of those I mentioned are compared to Phaneuf and Weber most often in their scouting reports (somethiong Zadarov is definitely NOT compared too). Pretty funny re-reading them sometimes, but gives you an idea of how much scouts tend to exagerate the offensive upside of defence-first guys. Guys like Weber and Chara are major exceptions.

Here are two examples for McIlrath and Olsen getting the Weber / Phaneuf comparisons:
http://bruins2010draftwatch.blogspot...ght-dylan.html
http://thehockeywriters.com/16-dylan...raft-rankings/

I've seen Zadorov and would like to have him on the Sens. But if we have a top 15 pick, I wouldn't touch him. I doubt he ever gets 20 points at the NHL level and while physical, he won't be a real intimadator at the NHL level either given he isn't really a tough guy either. He's so much bigger than other players in the OHL, but he will just be another above averaged sized d-man in the NHL.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
No, that's not really true. People tend to forget what the "projections" were of 1st round guys in their draft year. At the time, all of the guys I mentioned were touted with "untapped Offensive potential". Even a guy like McIlrath and Olsen, who were probably the lower end offensive guys of those I mentioned are compared to Phaneuf and Weber most often in their scouting reports (somethiong Zadarov is definitely NOT compared too). Pretty funny re-reading them sometimes, but gives you an idea of how much scouts tend to exagerate the offensive upside of defence-first guys. Guys like Weber and Chara are major exceptions.

Here are two examples for McIlrath and Olsen getting the Weber / Phaneuf comparisons:
http://bruins2010draftwatch.blogspot...ght-dylan.html
http://thehockeywriters.com/16-dylan...raft-rankings/

I've seen Zadorov and would like to have him on the Sens. But if we have a top 15 pick, I wouldn't touch him. I doubt he ever gets 20 points at the NHL level and while physical, he won't be a real intimadator at the NHL level either given he isn't really a tough guy either. He's so much bigger than other players in the OHL, but he will just be another above averaged sized d-man in the NHL.
I see, understandable. We have two different opinions, obviously neither side is written in stone, we will just agree to disagree.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:35 PM
DJB

vCash: 4386
I don't see it with Zadarov. He reminds me of Pavel Kubina. Nothing special and certainly not a top 10 pick.

Closed Thread