HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

The Official 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 11:25 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Just completed - the most in depth mock draft on the planet up at THW. Okay, well maybe not on the planet. Heck, maybe not even in North America. But...it is pretty in depth...and it is pretty awesome...at least somewhat - great for Sens.

Some story lines:
- Sens get an ice warrior from OHL - instant fan fav
- Flames draft 2 kids born in Calgary plus an offensive dynamo
- Habs draft prospect from la belle province
- Oilers nab another Russian
- Leafs draft son of enforcer
- So do Jets!
- Avs brings a big blueliner back home! (not that much of a shock).
- Devils cash in on Grigorenko situation take 2.
- Caps refurbish their Swedish prospect ranks

Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...april-edition/

Do the Sens strike gold again?

Old
04-14-2013, 11:36 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
to click the link or not to click.

04-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Swedish Mafia
Baby got Backstrom

Anyone take a look at Viktor Arvidsson at all? I admittedly only watched him during the world juniors but he looked pretty small but slick. 20 years old, currently 20th ranked european skater. Thoughts?

Old
04-14-2013, 11:49 AM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Ya and there are only three potentially generational talents in this draft: Mackinnon, Drouin and Jones.
If you're not the undisputed #1 favourite going into the draft where the majority of hockey professionals are saying the kid in question is one of the best players to come along in years, associating the word generational is ridiculous. The way it gets used around here, I have difficulty imagining that people know what the word generation actually means.

Saying "potential all star" instead would be a lot more accurate and still very complimentary.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:49 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
Just completed - the most in depth mock draft on the planet up at THW. Okay, well maybe not on the planet. Heck, maybe not even in North America. But...it is pretty in depth...and it is pretty awesome...at least somewhat - great for Sens.

Some story lines:
- So do Jets!

Pretty decent mock draft. Thanks!

Old
04-14-2013, 06:14 PM
jonasbrodin
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Mafia View Post
Anyone take a look at Viktor Arvidsson at all? I admittedly only watched him during the world juniors but he looked pretty small but slick. 20 years old, currently 20th ranked european skater. Thoughts?

He is looking good in theplayoff right now, could be a very interesting pick to take in the third or fourth round

Old
04-15-2013, 01:32 AM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post

Some story lines:
- So do Jets!

I really thought you had the Sens picking Kerby Rychel with those hints. I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm on the Wennberg train tho. If he falls to our pick, that's the guy I want.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:37 AM
EpicNeilTime

I wrote this article a couple weeks back. Don't want to spam my articles here but I do feel it applies and I post on this thread a lot.

http://thehockeywriters.com/ottawa-s...-to-the-draft/

We went down a couple spots with our recent struggles but I think it's still accurate.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime View Post
I wrote this article a couple weeks back. Don't want to spam my articles here but I do feel it applies and I post on this thread a lot.

http://thehockeywriters.com/ottawa-s...-to-the-draft/

We went down a couple spots with our recent struggles but I think it's still accurate.
I like the Baptise pick a lot, although I suspect he will go in the 2nd come draft day. One of the guys I think will get drafted well ahead of his ranking because of his pure physical skills and upside.

Nice write-up too.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie Underwood View Post
Michalek 1st and puempel to move up?
I was actually thinking about something similar to this. But instead of moving our 1st, we just move Michalek and Puempel or Da Costa and try and acquire a top five pick.

With all the talk about players being contract-limit casualties this summer, maybe we see the Sens hip out a few players/ prospects for another first round pick or two and possibly just package a few prospects for a 2nd round pick.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I was actually thinking about something similar to this. But instead of moving our 1st, we just move Michalek and Puempel or Da Costa and try and acquire a top five pick.
The problem with these proposals is that they don't make sense for the other team - namely the team rebuilding with a top 5 pick. There is no way a team is going to pass on one of the guys in the top 5, even if you offered all three of those players.

If we want a top 5 pick, we either offer up Z-Bad, Silfverberg, Lehner or Cowen, otherwise don't bother. Probably would take our 1st rounder plus one of those guys to land the pick. Which is to say, we shouldn't do it.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
The problem with these proposals is that they don't make sense for the other team - namely the team rebuilding with a top 5 pick. There is no way a team is going to pass on one of the guys in the top 5, even if you offered all three of those players.

If we want a top 5 pick, we either offer up Z-Bad, Silfverberg, Lehner or Cowen, otherwise don't bother. Probably would take our 1st rounder plus one of those guys to land the pick. Which is to say, we shouldn't do it.
I guess it would depend on the team we are trying to trade to and what their current needs are. Michalek and Puempel or Da Costa is a pretty good return for a top five pick. For example, Jeff Carter was traded for the 8th overall pick, plus Jakob Voracek plus a third round pick. Michalek probably doesn't have the the trade value of Carter but if he is packaged with someone like Da Costa, he possibly could net a top five pick.

At the very least it probably doesn't hurt to try. The Senators could end up with Drouin, plus one of: Rychel, Lazar, Domi or Horvat.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Spezza

I don't think adding Da Costa is enough, look at the prospect thread and I think most have (rightly or wrongly) came to the conclusion he wont make the NHL. The reason to part with Michalek is the history of knee injuries; unfortunately for the sens this is well documented and therefore will affect his value. The other factor that impacts his trade value is he is UFA at the tail end of next season. Ultimately more valuable to us to ride until UFA time IMHO.

I more or less agree with the dr; maybe could argue that Noeson has maybe played himself into contention to be a centrepiece - something like Noeson + 1st + ? (say Greening?). None of the likely top5 look like a viable dance partner though and sure hate giving up Noeson when he is looking good to breakin this year or next.

Old
04-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Cujomi
De Leeuw Ziel

I highly doubt a team with a top 5 pick is giving it up for anything short of a player that is projected to be as good and further along. Especially when considering the teams that should be picking in the top 5.

That said there are some interesting possibilities in teams like Philadelphia and Carolina who obviously expected to be competing already. Those two and Nashville would be my targets if I'm looking to grab a high 1st round pick. Do we have the depth to do it with our prospect/forward pool? Maybe.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:44 PM
dan1el

Right now we're ranked at 20. Our 20th+Michalek+one of our better non-swedish youngsters (Stone, Noesen, Ceci) could probably nab us either Carolina or Philly's pick, who both have a good enough team to be competing next year. Carolina would be equipped with a fearsome top six.

Semin-E.Staal-Skinner
Michalek-J. Staal-Tlusty/Ruutu

Then we could grab either Barkov or Drouin, and they could both be able to make an immediate impact.

Or we send the package to Philly, also giving them a hell of a top-six, and we could get someone like Lindholm, or Ristolainen. Both are a year away but I honestly think that that trade would make both teams better.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Cujomi
De Leeuw Ziel

Ideally out of this draft I'd like to get Monahan or Barkov. I doubt that we are willing to part with what it would take to move up that far though. Maybe if one of them is available further down than we anticipate, maybe, but I still see it as a long-shot at best.

I don't think that moving Michalek is the answer regardless. If we're making a big move it's going to be with our plethora of prospects, not our already top end players.

Puempel, Ceci and Noesen I'd imagine would be the big prizes with others that just don't have room in the organization moving forward or don't look to at this point like Hoffman, O'Brien, Borowiecki, Sdao, Da Costa etc. it wouldn't even surprise me to see someone like Gryba, Wiercioch or Pageau go if the right deal presented itself.

I would say if we're going to make a deal at the draft it will be with one of Edmonton or Philly because we have a ton of defensive depth and they both need it.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:52 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Seen Baptiste play >10 times live this year as I'm in Sudbury and he's not what the Sens need.

I'd be furious if we pick him in the first round.

I also watched him a **** ton in his minor midget year with the Jr. Sens and while he was the best player in Ottawa, he also was easily neutralize by opposing players.

If we pick 30th, Id be less furious, but if we're picking in the early 20s Id be disappointed.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:09 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Seen Baptiste play >10 times live this year as I'm in Sudbury and he's not what the Sens need.

I'd be furious if we pick him in the first round.

I also watched him a **** ton in his minor midget year with the Jr. Sens and while he was the best player in Ottawa, he also was easily neutralize by opposing players.

If we pick 30th, Id be less furious, but if we're picking in the early 20s Id be disappointed.
Although I've liked what I've seen of him this year (haven't seen him live but well over a dozen times on TV), I never once considered him a 1st rounder, I was hoping he'd be around when we pick in the 3rd round but it looks like he's jumping up in the standings lately and I'm sure the U18's is only going to help that. I'd take him with a mid to late 2nd though if we could get one.

Have you read/heard some-where that the Sens are considering him? In the first round at that?

Last edited by JonnyMacSen: 04-20-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old
04-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Biancosaurus

Sens army really has a dislike for puempel apparently, should be enough that dorian wanted to trade 2 seconds (in a good second round) to get this kid. if we are out early in the playoffs we have a very good chance at getting a stud, maybe even trading up a few spots without giving up too too much. i doubt we will be trade michalek to move up, we need one more top sixer and were closer to contending, i dont think we will trade one to creat two holes on our forward lines. id be happy with rychel or horvat. id obiovusly be happier if somehow we got monahan or shinkaruk
Somewherer along the line we are gonna need to get a center out of the draft to replace spezza long term, unfortunately i think we are gonn ahave to suck bad one year to get a player of that calibre. Achillin for Mackinnon no more

Old
04-21-2013, 06:58 AM
sg58

Quote:
Go-go-go all the time. He makes things happen all the time by putting the pedal to the metal all the time, challenging defencemen, playing physical. Obviously small but a real pain in the ass to play against because you can never relax. Pretty simple-minded player, gets the puck and tries to beat his guy or get it to the net. Pretty good shot. Definitely don't think he'll still be there in 4th as someone suggested, he's going earlier.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:59 AM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

This is not the time to trade up in the draft, won't happen unless it's a 2 or 3 spot move.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Swedish Mafia
Baby got Backstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Go-go-go all the time. He makes things happen all the time by putting the pedal to the metal all the time, challenging defencemen, playing physical. Obviously small but a real pain in the ass to play against because you can never relax. Pretty simple-minded player, gets the puck and tries to beat his guy or get it to the net. Pretty good shot. Definitely don't think he'll still be there in 4th as someone suggested, he's going earlier.
Thanks SteffeG, I just remember seeing him at the WJC and he was one of the most exciting players out there. Do you think there is a shot we could get with tampa's 4th or is he a sure-fire third? I was just thinking due to size and the fact that he is 20 that he'd be a 4th rounder.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:23 AM
sg58

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks SteffeG, I just remember seeing him at the WJC and he was one of the most exciting players out there. Do you think there is a shot we could get with tampa's 4th or is he a sure-fire third? I was just thinking due to size and the fact that he is 20 that he'd be a 4th rounder.
Yeah, he's a bit of a wild card obviously, because of the factors you just mentioned. On top of that the guys deciding on where he will go are the same guys who passed on him twice, but I am certain that there will be plenty of guys wanting him badly this year, and we'll just have to see for how long the game of chicken will continue come draft day.

2 or 3 was just a pure guesstimation on my part, as I can't read minds () but I'd be surprised if he was there when Tim leans into the microphone in the 4th.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:00 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
This is not the time to trade up in the draft, won't happen unless it's a 2 or 3 spot move.
My expectations will be that we will drafted 15th, if we can move 3 spots, who can we pick at 12th or should we move back a few spots to grab another 2nd?

Old
04-23-2013, 09:10 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
My expectations will be that we will drafted 15th, if we can move 3 spots, who can we pick at 12th or should we move back a few spots to grab another 2nd?
I think that 3 spots rule is gone now fyi (unless I misunderstood you). Any non-playoff team can win the lottery and pick first I think.

Closed Thread