HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
For anyone who went to the game last night did you see during a tv time out them pan to Nick Baptiste in the stands and give him props for the U18 gold win?

Probably the best "Ottawa born" player in the draft this year, you gotta think he's on the Sens radar (and no not in the 1st round before people jump on me).
First round pick, I'd blow **** up.
Third round pick, I'd be somewhat content.
Fourth round pick, then I'd call it a steal.

I've watched Baptiste his entire Minor Midget year with the Jr. Senators, and his entire last year with the Sudbury Wolves (benefit to living in Sudbury, WHHHAAAATTTT?). He's improved tremendously from the beginning of the year, but he still frustrates me in the sense that he's big and fast, but he's one of the scared-est players on the ice. He shy's away from contact down low, and his hands still need work around the net (although he's quite the dangler everywhere else around the ice). He honestly reminds me a bit of Colin Greening in the sense that he's big, fast, too nice (doesn't throw around his body).

Old
05-20-2013, 11:25 AM
TrueGrit

I'd be thrilled with Hartman

Old
05-20-2013, 11:47 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
First round pick, I'd blow **** up.
Third round pick, I'd be somewhat content.
Fourth round pick, then I'd call it a steal.

I've watched Baptiste his entire Minor Midget year with the Jr. Senators, and his entire last year with the Sudbury Wolves (benefit to living in Sudbury, WHHHAAAATTTT?). He's improved tremendously from the beginning of the year, but he still frustrates me in the sense that he's big and fast, but he's one of the scared-est players on the ice. He shy's away from contact down low, and his hands still need work around the net (although he's quite the dangler everywhere else around the ice). He honestly reminds me a bit of Colin Greening in the sense that he's big, fast, too nice (doesn't throw around his body).
Spot on, totally reminds me of him as well, hopefully he can develop a bit of an edge to his game, but I like his speed and determination for sure. I could see him being a potential 3rd round pick for us if he lasts that long.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:08 PM
MAK19

dat pass by Domi

Old
05-20-2013, 11:35 PM
DJB

vCash: 4386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Weircoich, Methot and Cowen on the left (Phillips now too), Karlsson Gryba Ceci on the right, (gonchar , Lundin Borocop) that seem to be all NHL ready.

i think you can go either side and it wouldn't matter. we have 2 young right side, right shots so we're actually doing decent on the right side right now like your saying.
Quote:
Marc Methot is much more important to this club now and down the road then Cody Ceci.

I'm not saying Ceci won't be good, but Methot will be a long term shutdown defenceman for this team. He's still a young guy.
Ya completely forgot about Methot for some reason.

I guess the need is greater on the right side lol! In the end I know Dorion takes the BPA anyways so it doesn't really matter...

Old
05-20-2013, 11:37 PM
DJB

I really hope we take a huge swing for the fences and take a super skilled player with tremendous upside but has some serious risk as well ala Karlsson.

Looking at you Shinkaruk.

This team needs more offensively gifted players as we are constantly struggling to score.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:38 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
I really hope we take a huge swing for the fences and take a super skilled player with tremendous upside but has some serious risk as well ala Karlsson.

This team needs more offensively gifted players as we are constantly struggling to score.
Scored tons last year and lost our best offensive players for huge chunks of this year. Many, many, many good prospects that are yet to enter their best scoring days, too.

While I agree that a top-end offensive forward or two is a thing that's missing from this team I don't think that the current situation should hold anyone back if there's a good defenceman to be had, for instance.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:36 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

No we don't, we have a ton of skilled players already. While some are not scoring, others we were missing most of the yr. I expect next season that a lot of our young guys will be that much better next season & adding a Stone, Wiercioch & maybe Ceci not only would we be adding size but adding scoring as well. They could also go out & trade for a top 6 forward to play with Spezza. I think Ottawa sticks with the BPA.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:36 PM
DJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
No we don't, we have a ton of skilled players already. While some are not scoring, others we were missing most of the yr. I expect next season that a lot of our young guys will be that much better next season & adding a Stone, Wiercioch & maybe Ceci not only would we be adding size but adding scoring as well. They could also go out & trade for a top 6 forward to play with Spezza. I think Ottawa sticks with the BPA.
Certainly we go BPA but I wouldn't say we ever really go safe. Karlsson, Cowen and Puempel weren't safe picks...

Old
05-22-2013, 04:38 PM
DJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg58 View Post
Scored tons last year and lost our best offensive players for huge chunks of this year. Many, many, many good prospects that are yet to enter their best scoring days, too.

While I agree that a top-end offensive forward or two is a thing that's missing from this team I don't think that the current situation should hold anyone back if there's a good defenceman to be had, for instance.
Appreciate the response but never said the swing for the fence couldn't be a defenceman. To a certain degree I think Ceci is a bit of a homerun swing. This league continues to head down the road that talent > everything else.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

I stopped talking about Shinkaruk early because I didn't think we'd be anywhere near low enough to get him...but if he somehow drops within our range I would be over the moon if we did end up drafting him. Insane potential there.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:05 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I stopped talking about Shinkaruk early because I didn't think we'd be anywhere near low enough to get him...but if he somehow drops within our range I would be over the moon if we did end up drafting him. Insane potential there.
yeah it looks like he'll go pretty high.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I'm all for a risky pick in the first round. By that I mean high superstar potential even if he has high bust potential.

Why? We are literally STACKED with guys who are awesome secondary players, but if we could add a legit offensive weapon we should risk it over a safer pick who is more likely to contribute in a third line or fringe top 6 role.

Old
05-22-2013, 06:35 PM
DJB

Quote:
I'm all for a risky pick in the first round. By that I mean high superstar potential even if he has high bust potential.

Why? We are literally STACKED with guys who are awesome secondary players, but if we could add a legit offensive weapon we should risk it over a safer pick who is more likely to contribute in a third line or fringe top 6 role.
Agreed and that's certainly why I made the suggestion. A team like the Flames who have terrible prospects just need a guy that can develop into and NHL'er. We have tons of those and this season has erally reinforced that theory.

Swing for a superstar is what we need...

Old
05-22-2013, 06:43 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:

Can we please somehow pick the next Jason Spezza? Please?

Old
05-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Can we please somehow pick the next Jason Spezza? Please?
The only recent player who reminds me of Spez is RNH

Old
05-22-2013, 08:53 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
The only recent player who reminds me of Spez is RNH
No he doesn't. They don't play the same game at all.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:00 PM
faire
classless

If we lose to the Pens we draft 18th overall right? I really hope we manage to trade up.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
No he doesn't. They don't play the same game at all.
Their vision is really similar in the corners. At that age Spezza and RNH had similarities. RNH not as lanky but I see lots of things similar in there games. Dun give a crap what you think mighty AP lol

Old
05-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faire View Post
If we lose to the Pens we draft 18th overall right? I really hope we manage to trade up.
17th I think

Old
05-22-2013, 10:30 PM
HSF

It might be perfect to trade 17th overall and ceci for a good top 6 winger especially if a team has cap issues

Old
05-22-2013, 10:32 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
17th I think
Confirm 17th.

Minnesota an NYI have both been eliminated, and them making the Conf Finals was the only way we could have moved up.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:40 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Frederick Gauthier would be an interesting pick. From what I read he is a very good two way player & can play a very good defensive game. At the same time he can also score & at 6'5" is big. He reminds me of what was said about Couturier & could play a similar role for Ottawa. As he gets better, he has the potential to move up in the lineup & I think he is rated right around where Ottawa will pick.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:48 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Closed (1000 posts).

Continue all draft talk in the Official 2013 Draft Thread, Part II.

Closed Thread