HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Does Anyone Root for Incompetent, Failing Teams?

Old
08-28-2012, 07:16 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

vCash: 500
I was born within an hour of Pittsburgh and come from more of a football family, but I watched hockey since I was in 8th grade. Obviously everyone around me was a Penguins fan, but I never really got into them, the fans, the commentators, etc. After the Ferraro to Volek goal, I was won over. It was like seeing David go toe-to-toe with Goliath and win. Rooting for other teams after that just always felt "wrong," and I've been a fan ever since.....conveniently since the night of their last playoff-significant victory....

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

It's a tough question to answer. I guess the more you suffer as a fan the more you will enjoy the eventual success of your team. I don't know why I still root for the Islanders but I have never considered rooting for any other team. On the other hand, what about fans who have really high expectations for their teams only to get disappointed when their team falls short?

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:36 AM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Halen View Post
It's a tough question to answer. I guess the more you suffer as a fan the more you will enjoy the eventual success of your team. I don't know why I still root for the Islanders but I have never considered rooting for any other team. On the other hand, what about fans who have really high expectations for their teams only to get disappointed when their team falls short?
I dunno, it's weird and I imagine a lot of people on this board are Yankees fans, including myself. Personally, I don't find disappointment when the Yankees don't win it all. It's fun to know that every year we have a shot, we are going to be playing important games, and we get a playoff atmosphere every year. Maybe I would feel differently if they were good but never won it (like the Sharks).

On the contrary, I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Phillies fan about how this season is going for him. For the past 5 years, he said he finally understood what it's like to be a Yankees fan. The Phillies were so dominant that the regular season was like a warm-up. It almost took the fun away. Now that the Phillies sputtered this year, he realized how fun it was to root during the regular season, to be an underdog, to be ecstatic when your team makes the playoffs and wins the World Series. Yankees fans win every decade and each time Yankees fans are saying "it's about time". If/when the Isles win it, I am going to be running around the streets naked like a psychopath.

I think that's part of the sentiment that the article was touching on. The Isles represent the underdog qualities of my life. And through thick and thin, when they pull it off, it will be that much more exciting.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I argue, "How could anybody root for a team that always wins?" I don't see how anybody can be a Yankee fan. How can you appreciate a team that does not build from within and only goes out and tries to buy the best players and focuses nothing on those nuances like a farm team and good drafting? How does that make you a talented franchise? All it does is make you a rich person who will buy whatever you can hoping for a pennant. In the last 20 years i can count maybe 3 or 4 homegrown stars while all the rest were overpaid purchases from other teams.

Granted I don't think this is the Yankees fault so much as the problem with baseball in general. Too few rich teams with all the rest trying to catch them. The Yankees don't win every year because they build a good farm system, they win every year because they have the money to buy every good free agent available. What do you expect though, their fans wouldn't have it any other way. They need to keep buying pennants, spending money to make money. So if I was a Yankees fan I would know in the back of my mind that pennant wins for a team like that are not nearly as sweet as when your team drafts well, develops their players, and wins from within. When the Islanders turn it around that first cup is going to be better than all the Yankees world series wins put together because it will be done the hard way....
This is just wrong on so many levels. In short, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

You don't know how anyone roots for the Yankees? How about being born into it? How about your father taking you to your first game when you were 5 years old and becoming attached to the team? I went to my first game in 1988 and those were lean times for the Yankees. The mets were a bigger deal in those days if you can believe it.

As for the Yankees buying their championships? All I can do is laugh at that statement and advise you to do some research before posting about things you are ill informed about, to put it kindly. Let's take a look at the run between 1996 and 2000. 4 world series championships in 5 years. Key players? Derek Jeter - HOMEGROWN. Bernie Williams - HOMEGROWN. Mariano Rivera - HOMEGROWN. Andy Pettite - HOMEGROWN. Jorge Posada - HOMEGROWN. Other key contributors? Paul O'neill - TRADE. Scott Brosius - TRADE. Tino Martinez - Free Agent. David Wells - Free Agent.

So out of all those guys... guys who were the main core of the championship teams on the late 90's, a grand total of TWO were "bought".

The Yankees didn't start buying teams until around 2002-2003 with the likes of Kevin Brown, Gary Sheffield, A-Rod, etc. How did that work out for them? Yea, those teams won a bunch of games but were complete crap when it mattered in the playoffs. The only championship you can argue was "bought" was in 2009. And guess what? I enjoyed it just as much as the others. Actually more since I was there live to see them clinch it.

I will never get tired of a team I root for winning. And if they have more money than everyone else... so what? They made their own riches. This money wasn't just given to them. And for those who argue that baseball needs a salary cap all I can do is laugh. The Yankees have more than double the salary of Baltimore and Tampa and yet there those teams are in striking distance. The Pirates are right there this year. The Oakland freakin Athletics are right there! In the end, payroll means nothing.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:55 AM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
This is just wrong on so many levels. In short, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

You don't know how anyone roots for the Yankees? How about being born into it? How about your father taking you to your first game when you were 5 years old and becoming attached to the team? I went to my first game in 1988 and those were lean times for the Yankees. The mets were a bigger deal in those days if you can believe it.

As for the Yankees buying their championships? All I can do is laugh at that statement and advise you to do some research before posting about things you are ill informed about, to put it kindly. Let's take a look at the run between 1996 and 2000. 4 world series championships in 5 years. Key players? Derek Jeter - HOMEGROWN. Bernie Williams - HOMEGROWN. Mariano Rivera - HOMEGROWN. Andy Pettite - HOMEGROWN. Jorge Posada - HOMEGROWN. Other key contributors? Paul O'neill - TRADE. Scott Brosius - TRADE. Tino Martinez - Free Agent. David Wells - Free Agent.

So out of all those guys... guys who were the main core of the championship teams on the late 90's, a grand total of TWO were "bought".

The Yankees didn't start buying teams until around 2002-2003 with the likes of Kevin Brown, Gary Sheffield, A-Rod, etc. How did that work out for them? Yea, those teams won a bunch of games but were complete crap when it mattered in the playoffs. The only championship you can argue was "bought" was in 2009. And guess what? I enjoyed it just as much as the others. Actually more since I was there live to see them clinch it.

I will never get tired of a team I root for winning. And if they have more money than everyone else... so what? They made their own riches. This money wasn't just given to them. And for those who argue that baseball needs a salary cap all I can do is laugh. The Yankees have more than double the salary of Baltimore and Tampa and yet there those teams are in striking distance. The Pirates are right there this year. The Oakland freakin Athletics are right there! In the end, payroll means nothing.

To add to this, I also think it's funny that people act as if you can put an all star team together and just sit back and watch them win. There are a lot of people in the Yankees organization that are doing right things. How have the Mets been doing with a high payroll? How about the Red Sox and Phillies this year?

You can't just 'buy' making the playoffs every year except one. How's our 'bought' pitching staff this year? We went out and signed an ace a few years ago -- a thing that teams do when they want to win. You can choose to ignore Nova, Hughes, Phelps, Robertson, Joba, Rivera, etc.

It's a good thing to know that other powerhouse teams haven't gotten anyone in free agency. Oh wait... look at that Phillies rotation. Pujols and Fielder left their teams to go to AL powerhouses. That Rangers rotation looks pretty damn good. The new Dodgers owners are flashing money everywhere.

Old
08-29-2012, 10:12 AM
AndThereGoesGrabner

Quote:

I'm a huge Yankees fan, but lets not get silly here, we bought our share of talent too to win those championships, our starting pitchers besides Pettite were all bought. Cone, Key, Wetland, El Duque(out bid everyone else), Sanderson, Wells, and the dozens of hired guns on the field such as Chad Curtis, David Justice,Knoblach,...etc. Also, having more money can buy your mistake away. To me its almost become embarrassing to be a Yankees fan because the fact is, we can buy our championships.

AndThereGoesGrabner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Halen View Post
I agree with this, we are loyal by nature, when you root for a bad team and they finally win it, it feels great, when the Mets won in 1986 it was great. I am also a NY Giants fan and when they win now it feels less satisfying, when the Isles won their 4th cup, it did not feel that great any more.

Being a Mets, Isles and Nets fan means that if any of those teams wins a title it will feel monumentally more satisfying than if the NY Giants win their 5th super bowl.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Bexlyspeed

[QUOTE=majormet;53943743]when the Isles won their 4th cup, it did not feel that great any more.

QUOTE]

what? man the 4th was just as great as the 1st!
no granted i was a little kid and was proud as hell to tell everyone that my team won 4 cups in a row! when they lost the drive for 5 i was crushed! but they were still a pretty good team until the late 80's

the difference between the islanders dynasty and sports dynasties of today is that the islanders built the core themselves and added a piece or two along the way, today they just pile on players to the point that they dont even have to draft young talent anymore. you basically buy all your players

Bexlyspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:37 AM
13th Floor

[QUOTE=Bexlyspeed;53944275]
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
when the Isles won their 4th cup, it did not feel that great any more.

QUOTE]

no granted i was a little kid and was proud as hell to tell everyone that my team won 4 cups in a row! when they lost the drive for 5 i was crushed! but they were still a pretty good team until the late 80's

the difference between the islanders dynasty and sports dynasties of today is that the islanders built the core themselves and added a piece or two along the way, today they just pile on players to the point that they dont even have to draft young talent anymore. you basically buy all your players
I don't necessarily buy that. I can think of teams that did it through a homegrown core.

Old
08-29-2012, 11:47 AM
majormet

[QUOTE=Bexlyspeed;53944275]
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
when the Isles won their 4th cup, it did not feel that great any more.

QUOTE]

I was in high school when they went on the big run of Cups, it got old to me after they won the 4th and we almost assumed that they would win the 5th too.... I felt more joy in the 1993 win over the Pens with Volek's goal than Cups 3 or 4, mainly because of the losing between 1985 and 1992 that made me hungry for winning again. I probably will feel the same euphoria when they actually win a series again, even in the first round.

The core of the Cup teams were all homegrown, they added a lot of guys that were stars on other teams as they were building. Butch Goring was a midliner for the Isles but was the star of the Kings for a few years. Wayne Merrick was an elite player for the Blues before we got him. Other pieces like John Tonelli and Dave Langevin came from the WHL merger. But the main players on this team were Potvin, Bossy, Trottier, Gillies and Smith. Smith came from outside but he was like a Matt Moulson type acquisition.

Gord Lane also came from the Caps as well, but this team was much like the later Red Wings teams.

Old
08-29-2012, 11:50 AM
majormet

[QUOTE=13th Floor;53945061]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post

I don't necessarily buy that. I can think of teams that did it through a homegrown core.
It cuts both ways, I think you can look at the Miami Heat and say they bought a title, and the 1997 Marlins was a purchased title. But most of the time when teams load up it backfires, the current Dodgers have been struggling since they added all the talent from outside. There have been many NY Ranger teams that have loaded up and fell sort.

But I do agree that there are teams like the Devils and Red Wings that have been very much homegrown and won it all. Spurs in baskteball, football is hard not to be mostly homegrown with the large rosters. Even the 2012 Cardinals were built on homegrown players.

Old
08-29-2012, 12:13 PM
13th Floor

[QUOTE=majormet;53945389]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post

It cuts both ways, I think you can look at the Miami Heat and say they bought a title, and the 1997 Marlins was a purchased title. But most of the time when teams load up it backfires, the current Dodgers have been struggling since they added all the talent from outside. There have been many NY Ranger teams that have loaded up and fell sort.

But I do agree that there are teams like the Devils and Red Wings that have been very much homegrown and won it all. Spurs in baskteball, football is hard not to be mostly homegrown with the large rosters. Even the 2012 Cardinals were built on homegrown players.
Yup agreed. I think you can look at teams across the 4 majors and find a bunch of examples for each. One thing that is a definite trend, as was alluded to in the article of this thread, is the lack of loyalty on teams now. Teams change so much that you are ultimately rooting for colors and a logo more than a group of players.

Old
08-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Bexlyspeed

[QUOTE=majormet;53945317]
Quote:

I was in high school when they went on the big run of Cups, it got old to me after they won the 4th and we almost assumed that they would win the 5th too.... I felt more joy in the 1993 win over the Pens with Volek's goal than Cups 3 or 4, mainly because of the losing between 1985 and 1992 that made me hungry for winning again. I probably will feel the same euphoria when they actually win a series again, even in the first round.

The core of the Cup teams were all homegrown, they added a lot of guys that were stars on other teams as they were building. Butch Goring was a midliner for the Isles but was the star of the Kings for a few years. Wayne Merrick was an elite player for the Blues before we got him. Other pieces like John Tonelli and Dave Langevin came from the WHL merger. But the main players on this team were Potvin, Bossy, Trottier, Gillies and Smith. Smith came from outside but he was like a Matt Moulson type acquisition.

Gord Lane also came from the Caps as well, but this team was much like the later Red Wings teams.
Billy Smith was an expansion draft player and was an islander from day 1

Tonelli and langevin were drafted by the islanders in the NHL Entry draft.

and the other three where good players, but were added by trade and also werent main parts, though they were important

Old
08-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Bexlyspeed

[QUOTE=majormet;53945389]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post

Agreed, i was on a tear

Old
08-29-2012, 01:23 PM
13th Floor

Quote:

Agreed, i was on a tear
Hah the quoting is all messed up on this thread. I was looking at that quote and kept saying... I didn't write that. Haha.

**Edit: I did it too. Fixing.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:13 PM
LongIslandCircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
what other professional sports team could I routinely see for $8-$18 on a regular basis
$8 - 18?! Wow, didn't realize tix where that low. That probably explains the $10 beers they were selling when I visited last season. If a single beverage costs more than a seat to the event, it really says a lot

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:41 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCircus View Post
$8 - 18?! Wow, didn't realize tix where that low. That probably explains the $10 beers they were selling when I visited last season. If a single beverage costs more than a seat to the event, it really says a lot
Meh, a lot of variables there. I bought Yankees tickets for $6 for Friday: http://www.stubhub.com/search/doSear...s=50&geo_exp=1

We are in the playoff push of baseball, and it's the Yankees. They have a 3.5 game lead on the Orioles and a 5.0 game lead on the Rays. Those are the next two series at Yankee stadium and tickets are priced from: $6, $10, $9.50, $8, $10, and $6. Then Toronto is back in town and tickets are priced at $3.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThereGoesGrabner View Post
I'm a huge Yankees fan, but lets not get silly here, we bought our share of talent too to win those championships, our starting pitchers besides Pettite were all bought. Cone, Key, Wetland, El Duque(out bid everyone else), Sanderson, Wells, and the dozens of hired guns on the field such as Chad Curtis, David Justice,Knoblach,...etc. Also, having more money can buy your mistake away. To me its almost become embarrassing to be a Yankees fan because the fact is, we can buy our championships.
I assume you are talking about Scott Sanderson? He was long gone before 1996. Jimmy Key... only there in 1996. Wells I mentioned already. Wetteland... only there in 1996. Curtis, Justice and Knoblach? Come on. I was talking about the core of the team (those guys are not included in that) and guys that were there for most, if not all of those five seasons between 1996 and 2000. None of the guys you mentioned (except Cone) fit that criteria.

And how many times do I have to say it? You can't buy a championship! You can buy yourself a better chance at a championship but that doesn't mean it will work. Who here didn't think the Phillies bought themselves a championship 2 years back? How has that worked out for them?

And to further what 13th floor said... people act like the Yankees are the ONLY team who signs big name free agents. Give me a break! The Rangers, Red Sox, Phillies, Tigers and Dodgers just to name a few have actually spent MORE than the Yankees on free agents since 2009. But no one talks about those teams.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Do you ever wonder if he would have made that field goal if you didn't play pool with him? That's a big "what if"...
LMAO I dont blame me, If anything I blame the blonde he was with in the side.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:

Come on, you really don't believe that, do you? I'm not saying a high payroll guarantees anything, otherwise the Mets would have been a playoff contender nearly every year, but it certainly gives you an advantage. It's not a coincidence that the Yankees have the highest payroll nearly every year and have also only missed the playoffs once since 95. Just to be clear, I don't blame them for taking advantage of the system, but they most clearly have benefitted from having a huge payroll advantage. It's like having a race and the Yankees have a ten-second head start. Sure, that doesn't guarantee they'll win, but it sure as hell means they have a much better shot. And I can't believe you mentioned the Pirates - they had 19 straight losing seasons before this one! You really think that would have happened if they had a payroll anywhere close to the Yanks all those years?

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:08 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post
I totally agree with that. I say to my friends who are yankee fans "does it ever get boring seeing the yankees always in the playoffs and wining the world series about every 5 yrs?" i dont know how it feels "special" to those fans. i know if the isles or mets won a championship, i would be ECSTATIC! it would feel great to finally see a winner after all these years.
I am a Islanders, Yankees, Lakers(Magic Johnson favorite basketball player) and Giants fan.

It absolutely takes away from the experience when the Yankees win...When I was in high school 95'-99' it was a great experience because I went to the parades and a ton of games in the bleacher seats but now I barely watch the yankees until playoff time. I'll catch games here and there but overall 90% of the time they are in the playoffs, why watch the reg. season. At that point I have less vested into the team therefore the experience of "winning" isn't the same.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:40 PM
leaponover

Quote:

LMFAO!! The only homegrown players they had were the ONLY ones you mentioned, hahaha!! You mentioned the only players that I could consider homegrown.. .since 1990!!! BUAHAHAHA! Thanks for proving my point bro... I have no idea what i'm talking about but you don't even understand what you write.

Hey, not knocking the born into it thing though, that I can understand. Yankees did have some rough times in the 80's. My point is they go out of there way to buy the best FA's on the market to try to win every year why producing a minimal amount of homegrown players. IF I have no idea what i'm talking about there must be a lot of people that don't know what they are talking about here since i've already had two people agree with me.

Anyway, keep dreaming about your ahem...earned pennants. What a joke...

PS. Chalk up a third and fourth person agreeing with me (and 1 of them is a Yankee fan!!), must be lonely where you are right now.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
LMFAO!! The only homegrown players they had were the ONLY ones you mentioned, hahaha!! You mentioned the only players that I could consider homegrown.. .since 1990!!! BUAHAHAHA! Thanks for proving my point bro... I have no idea what i'm talking about but you don't even understand what you write.

Hey, not knocking the born into it thing though, that I can understand. Yankees did have some rough times in the 80's. My point is they go out of there way to buy the best FA's on the market to try to win every year why producing a minimal amount of homegrown players. IF I have no idea what i'm talking about there must be a lot of people that don't know what they are talking about here since i've already had two people agree with me.

PS. Chalk up a third and fourth person agreeing with me (and 1 of them is a Yankee fan!!), must be lonely where you are right now.
LMFAO? BUAHAHAHA? What are you, two?

Say what you want. YOU have no idea what you are talking about. I don't take what people like you say seriously.

If you had come at me with a well thought out, coherent response, I would have engaged and come back to continue the debate. But you just proved yourself not worthy of even a simple response on my part.

And yes, anyone who agrees with you that a team can simply buy a championship has no idea what they are talking about. I am done with this. I don't have serious discussions with people who are obviously clueless.

Old
08-30-2012, 08:37 AM
13th Floor

Quote:

So what is your argument for teams that have spent just as much if not more than the Yankees in recent years on FA but haven't had the success the Yankees have had?

The Phillies bought their entire pitching staff (except Hammels), the best in baseball, and have gotten worse each year. The Mets suck every year. The Red Sox are terrible. The Angels and Tigers might not make the playoffs.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Noreaster96

Quote:

I'm assuming you're a mets fan, in which case I'm sure you're just mad te mets are worse at getting good talent than te Yankees. If the meta had the same success from the Yankees way of doin it you'd be happy would you not? Just cuz the Yankees are better at FA in terms of players try get actually producing than the mets doesn't mean you should hate on the yanks for playing completely within the rules of the game.

I also find it hilarious that an isles fan, who has an owner that most of the fanbase dislikes for allegedly never wanting to spend any money, hates the Yankees for spending money

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote