HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

If Locked Out, Which Canucks Would Be Playing in Chicago?

Old
08-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Steveorama

vCash: 500
If Locked Out, Which Canucks Would Be Playing in Chicago?

Does anyone know the criteria for this? Are only ELC players allowed to play AHL if locked out of the NHL? Would waivers be required for those who are waiver-eligible?
I have read that Kassian, for one, would be Chicago-bound...but Tanev? Weise?

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

I'd like this clarified as well. I would have thought that technically, any player could sign with them. Most players though would rather go play in Europe or the KHL for a couple of months, rather than the AHL.

I expect Kassian, Tanev, and Weise to be there. Most other players will likely be in Europe.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:09 AM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama View Post
Does anyone know the criteria for this? Are only ELC players allowed to play AHL if locked out of the NHL? Would waivers be required for those who are waiver-eligible?
I have read that Kassian, for one, would be Chicago-bound...but Tanev? Weise?
Kassian YES
Tanev YES
Volpatti NO (would need to clear waivers)
Ebbett NO (would need to clear waivers)
Weise NO (would need to clear waivers)
Pinnizzotto NO (would need to clear waivers)
Joslin ? (would need to clear waivers)
Mullen ? (would need to clear waivers)
Desbiens ? (would need to clear waivers)
Gordon ? (would need to clear waivers)

Everyone else who was in Chicago last year that wasn't mentioned would also not need to clear and report to the Wolves. Including the likes of Lack, Connauton, Schroeder, Sweatt, and so on.....

KidCanuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:13 AM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Here are the waiver rules under the current agreement.

Waiver Rules

Old
08-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Jevo

The rules regarding AHL players are as follows:

Quote:
Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a regular-season game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL, IHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.
@KidCanuck10: There are no waivers in case of a lockout.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:22 AM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
@KidCanuck10: There are no waivers in case of a lockout.
No waivers if there is a lock out??? Where did you hear that?
Is that cause the current CBA would be null and void (Expired)?

Old
08-28-2012, 09:25 AM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

What if the NHL season began with several of our players that did not have to clear waivers originally who are waiver eligible being called back up? Would they have to clear re entry?

Old
08-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanuck10 View Post
No waivers if there is a lock out??? Where did you hear that?
Is that cause the current CBA would be null and void (Expired)?
As far as I'm aware, waivers are a part of the CBA. With no CBA there are no waivers. Actually I think players who will play in the AHL during the lockout will have to sign AHL contracts, since their current contracts aren't valid during a lockout.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:36 AM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
As far as I'm aware, waivers are a part of the CBA. With no CBA there are no waivers. Actually I think players who will play in the AHL during the lockout will have to sign AHL contracts, since their current contracts aren't valid during a lockout.
Well I believe 2 way contracts would be valid (In essence it's a NHL/AHL contract. I think it would get a little complicated sending down players on a 2 way that are waiver eligible. Unless it's just all understood that there would be something in the new CBA that would make it ok for them to come back up without passing through re entry, or maybe those players just wouldn't be sent down. Ugh lockouts...

Old
08-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Todds Chiropractory

vCash: 50
A year in the AHL would do wonders for Kassian's game

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
There will be no CBA, and once locked out, the players are not being paid... so their contracts are, if not void, on hiatus. It seems that, as Jevo said, the only thing stopping a player from playing in the the AHL is whether they qualify according to the AHL's rules.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
I dunno about a year, but if there was a lockout and he spent a couple of months down there it could certainly do him a bit of good. Although, he may be fully NHL ready in a big way after a full offseason of training.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Todds Chiropractory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I dunno about a year, but if there was a lockout and he spent a couple of months down there it could certainly do him a bit of good. Although, he may be fully NHL ready in a big way after a full offseason of training.
With young potential star players I see confidence being such a huge factor in whether or not they reach their potential. Dominating in the AHL would do wonders for Kassian's confidence and I'm sure would reflect his later NHL play. Generally this isn't the case because getting sent down to the AHL for an "extra year" shatters a young players confidence. But if there was a lockout playing in the minors wouldn't be viewed like this. As a reference point look at how successful the 2003 draft prospects that played in the AHL during the last lockout became. And for the record I agree with your point, just quoted you as a jumping off point.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
It did a lot for Kesler. A year would be good for Kassian but if there is an NHL season I see him in the Canucks top 6

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:20 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
It did a lot for Kesler. A year would be good for Kassian but if there is an NHL season I see him in the Canucks top 6
Well top 6 will be tough to crack unless he runs with it, he will get his chance, the rest is up to him. He won't be on the third line checking other teams top lines that's for sure, so I see him on the forth line playing 7-10 minutes until he is ready for consistant top 6 duty. Kid is a beast. He is NHL ready, just needs to gain experience at this level and fit into the system with high percentage plays and knowing where to be from a defense stand point.

Old
08-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
The problem with that comparison is that when Kesler first went to the AHL, he wasn't very good — 11 points in 33 game — and so that second opportunity was very useful to him. Kassian put up 26 points (and 15 of them goals) in 30 games and most of them at ES too.

Almost feel like maybe he would be better off going somewhere like the SEL where he would have to work harder because in the AHL he can truly dominate just with his size and skill.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:16 PM
yapperface
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The problem with that comparison is that when Kesler first went to the AHL, he wasn't very good 11 points in 33 game and so that second opportunity was very useful to him. Kassian put up 26 points (and 15 of them goals) in 30 games and most of them at ES too.

Almost feel like maybe he would be better off going somewhere like the SEL where he would have to work harder because in the AHL he can truly dominate just with his size and skill.
Some confidence would be good for him. Plus, remember, the skill level in the AHL is higher during a lockout.

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:29 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
There will be no CBA, and once locked out, the players are not being paid... so their contracts are, if not void, on hiatus. It seems that, as Jevo said, the only thing stopping a player from playing in the the AHL is whether they qualify according to the AHL's rules.
Yeah, isn't that why Eric Staal was able to play in the AHL the year during the lockout after being with the Canes for almost a full pro year.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:29 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Agreed. To the point where I would probably start Kassian in the AHL even if there isn't a lockout. Put him on the top line down there and see what he can do in our system.

08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Yeah, isn't that why Eric Staal was able to play in the AHL the year during the lockout after being with the Canes for almost a full pro year.
Eric Staal was eligible to play in the AHL no matter what, as he would have been an over-ager in the CHL. A better example would be Nathan Horton.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Wisp

I don't think it'd do much good, but might be fun to see Kassian tear up the AHL for a month or so. He was PPG there last year.

Hopefully its a short lock out and he can use a bit of time in the A to get his game rolling.

Last edited by Wisp: 08-28-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Wisp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 04:42 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The problem with that comparison is that when Kesler first went to the AHL, he wasn't very good 11 points in 33 game and so that second opportunity was very useful to him. Kassian put up 26 points (and 15 of them goals) in 30 games and most of them at ES too.

Although Kassian in an AHL that's filled with NHLers in need of homes might be stiffer competition for Kassian.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:28 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Although Kassian in an AHL that's filled with NHLers in need of homes might be stiffer competition for Kassian.
And 18-19 minutes a night for a coupe of months at his age would promote development.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote