HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Report: Penguins' Malkin agrees to KHL's Magnitogorsk contract during lockout

Old
08-27-2012, 01:30 PM
cassius

vCash: 500
Report: Penguins' Malkin agrees to KHL's Magnitogorsk contract during lockout

Looks like Geno has a backup plan lined up...

Quote:
Reports out of Russia say that Penguins center Evgeni Malkin has agreed to a contract to play for Metallurg Magnitogorsk in the Kontinental Hockey League if the start of the 2012-13 NHL season is delayed by a lockout.

J.P. Barry, who is Malkin's agent, confirmed that Malkin has spoken with teams in Moscow and Magnitogorsk about a week-to-week agreement that would allow him to play during a lockout, if there is one, but that nothing has been finalized.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz24ly1QuvT

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:42 PM
WickedWrister

what

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Good. It'll keep Geno in shape, and I like the prospect of players earning money elsewhere while the NHL owners tries to squeeze the NHLPA for further concessions.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:49 PM
gdsmack267

I know there is always a risk of injury but at least he will be in game shape if the season starts late.

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Rectify
I need a job.

Sounds good to me.

Rectify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Blitzburgh87*

If the khl thought he was good at the age of 17.. lol

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:01 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Good. It'll keep Geno in shape, and I like the prospect of players earning money elsewhere while the NHL owners tries to squeeze the NHLPA for further concessions.
It's hard not to be on the owners' side right now. Not many teams are making money right now and player salaries are through the roof.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
It's hard not to be on the owners' side right now. Not many teams are making money right now and player salaries are through the roof.
I'd say I'm on about half of the owners side.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
i before yinzers **** a collective brick.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

he gets to hang out with Paul Maurice and Tom Barrasso.

Old
08-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
I don't know how you can say that.

The players gave a ton of concessions last time, including the biggest which was a salary cap partnership that would allow everyone to thrive. Many owners claim that their franchises are losing money, which is their old schtick, but they refuse to release their numbers publicly for examination - people just have to take them at their word. That seems pretty stupid.

There are obviously teams at the bottom bleeding money (mostly ill-advised sunbelt teams) and teams at the top that are making money hand over fist. If owners want every single team in the league to be a guaranteed money-maker, they shouldn't expect the players to foot the bill, especially considering how much the NHLPA gave last time. The "haves" simply want to keep their money, and the "have-nots" want to get their money from somewhere.

I don't see how any fan could side with the owners, considering they want to have their cake and eat it too. Not to mention the fact that Bettman claimed the cap would allow teams to lower ticket prices, meanwhile ticket prices rose 39% since the lockout:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...2232--nhl.html

Enjoy siding with the guy who's ****ing not only the players, but you.

Old
08-27-2012, 02:36 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Sure hope he doesn't get injured...
Or like the KHL more than the NHL...

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I hope he doesn't use Russian airplanes or medicine.

Funny how the life of one hockey players suddenly overshadows that of millions.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

The players gave a ton of concessions last time, including the biggest which was a salary cap partnership that would allow everyone to thrive. Many owners claim that their franchises are losing money, which is their old schtick, but they refuse to release their numbers publicly for examination - people just have to take them at their word. That seems pretty stupid.

There are obviously teams at the bottom bleeding money (mostly ill-advised sunbelt teams) and teams at the top that are making money hand over fist. If owners want every single team in the league to be a guaranteed money-maker, they shouldn't expect the players to foot the bill, especially considering how much the NHLPA gave last time. The "haves" simply want to keep their money, and the "have-nots" want to get their money from somewhere.

I don't see how any fan could side with the owners, considering they want to have their cake and eat it too. Not to mention the fact that Bettman claimed the cap would allow teams to lower ticket prices, meanwhile ticket prices rose 39% since the lockout:

the players aren't any more on our side than the owners are. In fact, as Penguins fans the owners interests are more in line with our own. The players winning is worse for our team. What needs to happen is the players give up some money and the owners expand revenue sharing. Both side gave ludicrous initial offers. The owners want the players to fix all the problems and the players want the owners to fix all the problems. They both suck.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:

According to Forbes, which is the only newscorp doing yearly reviews of the business of hockey; the NHL has gone from 12 teams a year losing money to 18 team in the red in the last 4 years. So 60% of teams are losing money. Last year, 5 teams netted 210 million in profit, while the other 25 lost 84 million. That's some healthy League you got there buddy.

Market conditions have dramatically changed in the last 7 years Few people would have predicted the rise of the Canadian Dollar compared to ours, and the explosion of revenue lifting teams like Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver far ahead of 80% of the league.

The players need to give, similar to what other salary cap Laegues are splitting (50/50ish), but the owners need to do a better job of profit sharing for sure.

Hope Malkin has a happy and safe time playing back home this fall. Could be good for his soul.

Last edited by Gallatin: 08-27-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:33 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Player salaries are through the roof because GM's are handing out 100 million dollar contracts after getting the nod to do so from the owners, who are crying broke.

And lets not over exaggerate NHL players salaries. Even the highest paid NHLer makes "middle of the pack" money when it comes to professional athletes. Here's a list of the top 100, highest paid athletes. You won't find one NHLer on this list.

http://www.forbes.com/athletes/#p_10_s_a0_

It's not the players fault that the business is ran poorly. This is a N. American sport - one of the richest and one of the largest sport crazed continents on the planet - and they're trying to tell us that they can't make money? Hmmm, I wonder why that is when the athletes in the league are the best it's ever had? It's because the owners don't know what the hell they're doing. 7 years ago, they created a CBA and 7 years later, they're *****ing about it lol. How anyone can be on any side, other than the players, baffles me. Maybe if the league had competent people running it, there wouldn't be a lockout every ten years and the sport could grow, bringing in more revenue, and everyone could be happy, but in it's current state, the idiots running the show continue to regress the league by continually locking out the players, forcing fans to go somewhere else for their sport fix, praying that they'll come back once things get settled.

This whole thing really pisses me off, because every time the league starts to gain some steam and bring in new fans and garner more media recognition, something like this happens and puts us right back where we began. This is why the NHL isn't taken serious by the majority of the US. Compared to the other 3 mainstream leagues, the NHL is by far ran the worst .

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Player salaries are through the roof because GM's are handing out 100 million dollar contracts after getting the nod to do so from the owners, who are crying broke.

And lets not over exaggerate NHL players salaries. Even the highest paid NHLer makes "middle of the pack" money when it comes to professional athletes. Here's a list of the top 100, highest paid athletes. You won't find one NHLer on this list.

http://www.forbes.com/athletes/#p_10_s_a0_

It's not the players fault that the business is ran poorly. This is a N. American sport - one of the richest and one of the largest sport crazed continents on the planet - and they're trying to tell us that they can't make money? Hmmm, I wonder why that is when the athletes in the league are the best it's ever had? It's because the owners don't know what the hell they're doing. 7 years ago, they created a CBA and 7 years later, they're *****ing about it lol. How anyone can be on any side, other than the players, baffles me. Maybe if the league had competent people running it, there wouldn't be a lockout every ten years and the sport could grow, bringing in more revenue, and everyone could be happy, but in it's current state, the idiots running the show continue to regress the league by continually locking out the players, forcing fans to go somewhere else for their sport fix, praying that they'll come back once things get settled.

This whole thing really pisses me off, because every time the league starts to gain some steam and bring in new fans and garner more media recognition, something like this happens and puts us right back where we began. This is why the NHL isn't taken serious by the majority of the US. Compared to the other 3 mainstream leagues, the NHL is by far ran the worst .
I don't want to imply we are not fans of a Garage League, clearly we are, however - if you look at the other leagues historically - they all have had this problem of overpaying the players. If the Rangers set the market too high other teams will inevitably follow to mantain their competitive edge. It's just the reality of sports, and of human nature actually IMO.

Old
08-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
the players aren't any more on our side than the owners are. In fact, as Penguins fans the owners interests are more in line with our own. The players winning is worse for our team. What needs to happen is the players give up some money and the owners expand revenue sharing. Both side gave ludicrous initial offers. The owners want the players to fix all the problems and the players want the owners to fix all the problems. They both suck.
I never said that they were.

I said that last time the players made all the concessions according to a plan that the owners claimed would allow everyone to prosper in partnership according to a percentage of revenue, and now they claim the percentage is insufficient and the players will have to take another huge haircut.

That's true.

I then said that Bettman promised lower ticket prices in order to ingratiate the owners to fans, and the exact opposite happened. The owners got cost certainty, then proceeded to raise ticket prices considerably.

That's also true.

The cap and cost certainty was supposed to give the owners a framework to thrive. It's not the players' responsibility to make sure every single team is a no-risk venture, every single time the CBA is up for renewal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
According to Forbes, which is the only newscorp doing yearly reviews of the business of hockey; the NHL has gone from 12 teams a year losing money to 18 team in the red in the last 4 years. So 60% of teams are losing money. Last year, 5 teams netted 210 million in profit, while the other 25 lost 84 million. That's some healthy League you got there buddy.

Market conditions have dramatically changed in the last 7 years Few people would have predicted
the rise of the Canadian Dollar compared to ours, and the explosion of revenue lifting teams like Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver far ahead of 80% of the league.
Forbes doesn't have any more access to the real figures than we do. NHL teams are not publicly-traded companies, so they don't need to open their books and never will. If you don't think there are ways for the owners to claim loss without suffering any real cash loss, you're living in a dream world. For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 The biggest tax advantage of pro-sports ownership is the ability of a new owner to depreciate player contracts. When an owner buys a team, he may allocate a all or part of the purchase price to the value of existing player contracts, which then can be depreciated over 15 years - giving a loss for taxes with no impact on operations or cash flow. This was discussed in nauseating detail back in Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XX: There Will Be Baum.

Quote:
Example of New Rules: Assume that Owner purchases sports franchise for $100 million after October 22, 2004. Under new rules, Owner may allocate any percentage of this purchase price to player contracts, if allocation is supported by relative economic value (50% ceiling is repealed). Owner allocates $70 million to player contracts, and $30 million to franchise and media rights. The entire $100 million is depreciable over 15 years - including the cost of franchise and media rights which IRS contended were not depreciable under prior law. Upon the sale of the franchise 10 years later, Owner is not subject to depreciation recapture on original player contracts that have been depreciated or written-off if those contracts no longer have real economic value to the new Buyer because the players are gone or retired. Only the normal depreciation recapture rules apply for existing player contracts that still have economic value to the new Buyer.
The original deal was structured so that owners had a framework based on percentages of revenue. Market conditions don't change a damn thing regarding percentages, man.

Profits are profits. The owners just want a bigger cut, and a totally risk-free business venture for every team in the league.

Old
08-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Not real happy about this because of potential injury problems and lower quality medical staff / hospitals, but for anything serious (hopefully won't happen *knock on wood*) he would fly back here anyway and have work done in Pittsburgh.

It is week-to-week by the sounds of it, so clearly no kind of game playing. He just wants to play hockey and as soon as the NHL is back, he is coming back within a week or two. Hell, let Kadar stay over there with him. I'm all for it. I guess if anything you can take comfort in the fact that the Dude is playing in a league less known for its physical play than pond-hockey-like games. AFAIK.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

wonder where sid'll go if there's a lockout? Tag along with Geno to Russia? Go to Switzerland with his buddy JJ?

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:16 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
wonder where sid'll go if there's a lockout? Tag along with Geno to Russia? Go to Switzerland with his buddy JJ?
Prolly wherever Parise goes. According to Pierre, they're tight friends.

(pfft...like I needed this)

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Alesle

Now I guess I know where I'll get my hockey fix if there is a lockout

Alesle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

BTW PLEASE KEEP ALL CBA TALK TO CBA THREAD. Thanks.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

what does it say that i'd rather speculate about who else is going to sign with Металлург Магнитогорск to play with Geno than speculate about who Shero will sign? #boringoffseason #lockoutfatigue

Old
08-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
I never said that they were.

I said that last time the players made all the concessions according to a plan that the owners claimed would allow everyone to prosper in partnership according to a percentage of revenue, and now they claim the percentage is insufficient and the players will have to take another huge haircut.

That's true.

I then said that Bettman promised lower ticket prices in order to ingratiate the owners to fans, and the exact opposite happened. The owners got cost certainty, then proceeded to raise ticket prices considerably.

That's also true.

The cap and cost certainty was supposed to give the owners a framework to thrive. It's not the players' responsibility to make sure every single team is a no-risk venture, every single time the CBA is up for renewal.

Forbes doesn't have any more access to the real figures than we do. NHL teams are not publicly-traded companies, so they don't need to open their books and never will. If you don't think there are ways for the owners to claim loss without suffering any real cash loss, you're living in a dream world. For example:

The original deal was structured so that owners had a framework based on percentages of revenue. Market conditions don't change a damn thing regarding percentages, man.

Profits are profits. The owners just want a bigger cut, and a totally risk-free business venture for every team in the league.
Last CBA comment for me in this thread Chansellor; Rowdy on your last point about percentages - you are not accounting for the incredible growth in revenues of a handful of teams, which drive up the costs of other teams not growing as fast to the point they struggle to make money.

Also Rowdy good point on depreciation, that improves the picture a bit.