HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Fights That Changed Momentum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-08-2012, 04:50 PM
  #1
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,248
vCash: 500
Fights That Changed Momentum

Wanted to see how many fights fans can point to as ones that shifted the momentum of a playoff series from one team to another. My favorite example of this would have to be when Marty McSorley took on Wendel Clark after leveling Doug Gilmour with an open ice hit.



The Leafs dominated the Kings every which way possible and Gilmour was having his way against them. That is until McSorley stepped in and delivered what appeared to be an elbow at Gilmour's head. Clark responded by going after McSorley, but the fight sent a message that the Kings were going to put up a fight and that they did when they won the series in seven games.

There is another incident that took place a few years ago involving Georges Laraque. I can't recall the exact details aside from the fact that he appeared to mock his opponent after the fight or did some celebration, which inspired the opposing team to mount a comeback. Anyone else remember this?

This mainly concerns post season fights, but if you could point to examples from regular season games as well, then by all means, do so.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:00 PM
  #2
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:25 PM
  #3
duxfan8
Registered User
 
duxfan8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500


Iginla vs Beauchemin in 2006

PS: I have no idea how to embed youtube videos

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:36 PM
  #4
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,048
vCash: 500
How did McSorley getting his faced punched in change the momentum to LA's side?

TieClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:42 PM
  #5
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
How did McSorley getting his faced punched in change the momentum to LA's side?
Oh let's see, the Leafs smoked the Kings 4-1 in that game and Gilmour was dominant with 2 goals and 2 assists. The Kings would then go on to win the next two games then lost two close ones before winning Game 6 and 7 while facing elimination.

I'm sure as a Leafs fan you'd hate to admit it, but McSorley checking Gilmour and taking on Clark (and no, he didn't get his face punched in) turned the tide of the series. The Kings weren't going to let the Leafs walk all over them, which is the message that was sent when McSorley did what he did.

Gretzky and Barry Melrose have both said that the McSorley hit/fight was really the turning point of the series.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:30 PM
  #6
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Oh let's see, the Leafs smoked the Kings 4-1 in that game and Gilmour was dominant with 2 goals and 2 assists. The Kings would then go on to win the next two games then lost two close ones before winning Game 6 and 7 while facing elimination.

I'm sure as a Leafs fan you'd hate to admit it, but McSorley checking Gilmour and taking on Clark (and no, he didn't get his face punched in) turned the tide of the series. The Kings weren't going to let the Leafs walk all over them, which is the message that was sent when McSorley did what he did.

Gretzky and Barry Melrose have both said that the McSorley hit/fight was really the turning point of the series.
Have you seen McSorley's face the day after that fight? Yes he did indeed get his faced punched in by Clark. The hit may have changed momentum, but still not really. The Leafs would have won game 6 after all...

Edit: Found it for you...

TieClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 12:46 AM
  #7
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Have you seen McSorley's face the day after that fight? Yes he did indeed get his faced punched in by Clark. The hit may have changed momentum, but still not really. The Leafs would have won game 6 after all...

Edit: Found it for you...
I clearly do remember that front page cover (as well as the shot of McSorley walking off the ice to the locker room after the fight and putting his hand over a camera), but that fight was a battle and a draw in my eyes. Clark connected with some bombs, but McSorley never blinked and kept on going and was gaining the edge in the scrap in the late stages (which is a McSorley trait).

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:03 AM
  #8
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,048
vCash: 500
Well I'm a believer of damage done wins the fight so I don't see how Clark didn't win that.. Especially at the end of a shift

TieClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:28 PM
  #9
1994sec311
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Prust vs. Neil game 6 of ECQF 2012. Prust lost the fight, but I think this stemmed the tide of Neil bulldozing NYR--showing that NYR was going to stick up for their teammates, after his hit on Boyle, post whistle shove to Richards, and general domination of the NYR. NYR comes from behind to win the game and the series. Thought momentum in that game shifted right after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inZ3nm305Ro

1994sec311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:38 PM
  #10
BlackNgold 84
Registered User
 
BlackNgold 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 2,077
vCash: 500


I know the b's were suppose to win this series and they had won game 1 and we're winning easily in this game but this fight was so unexpected and no one really thought a bergeron fight would A) happen B) would end like that. I think it just totally shut the door on the habs and gave them little to no hope. Or this could be the musings of a bitter bruins fan who didn't wanna see the bruins get another early round defeat to the habs.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:28 PM
  #11
BruinsNeedaRussian
Registered User
 
BruinsNeedaRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,810
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
What the hell was Talbot doing? He got demolished.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 04:15 PM
  #12
cashman rules*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Timmins ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Wanted to see how many fights fans can point to as ones that shifted the momentum of a playoff series from one team to another. My favorite example of this would have to be when Marty McSorley took on Wendel Clark after leveling Doug Gilmour with an open ice hit.



The Leafs dominated the Kings every which way possible and Gilmour was having his way against them. That is until McSorley stepped in and delivered what appeared to be an elbow at Gilmour's head. Clark responded by going after McSorley, but the fight sent a message that the Kings were going to put up a fight and that they did when they won the series in seven games.

There is another incident that took place a few years ago involving Georges Laraque. I can't recall the exact details aside from the fact that he appeared to mock his opponent after the fight or did some celebration, which inspired the opposing team to mount a comeback. Anyone else remember this?

This mainly concerns post season fights, but if you could point to examples from regular season games as well, then by all means, do so.
The leafs lost the series

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:39 PM
  #13
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
The leafs lost the series
No **** Sherlock.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:15 PM
  #14
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post


I know the b's were suppose to win this series and they had won game 1 and we're winning easily in this game but this fight was so unexpected and no one really thought a bergeron fight would A) happen B) would end like that. I think it just totally shut the door on the habs and gave them little to no hope. Or this could be the musings of a bitter bruins fan who didn't wanna see the bruins get another early round defeat to the habs.

Total momentum changer there...Bergeron dosn't throw that punch and the Habs go on to comeback from a 5-1 defecit and win the next 4 games. Never change B's fans.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:05 AM
  #15
BlackNgold 84
Registered User
 
BlackNgold 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 2,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Total momentum changer there...Bergeron dosn't throw that punch and the Habs go on to comeback from a 5-1 defecit and win the next 4 games. Never change B's fans.
As i said during the post.. its not the best example of a fight that changed momentum.. but it sure as **** buried the habs. Or should i have put up the lucic drubbing komisarek in that series

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
  #16
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,821
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
What the hell was Talbot doing? He got demolished.
He was firing up his teammates. It worked brilliantly.

Carcillo screwed up for obliging him and taking that fight. Quite a few Flyers fans thought that was the wrong time and place, and that turned out to be correct.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 03:37 PM
  #17
Beville
#ForTheBoys
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Engerlanddd!
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,530
vCash: 500


This.

Yes, we still lost the series... But the 8th Seeded team took #1 to 7 games.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:05 AM
  #18
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
What the hell was Talbot doing? He got demolished.
Are you new to hockey?

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 03:59 PM
  #19
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
What the hell was Talbot doing? He got demolished.
It still changed momentum and the Penguins won.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 04:21 PM
  #20
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
It still changed momentum and the Penguins won.
Did it? How can you tell? It seems like something totally unmeasurable except by anecdotal evidence.

There's no way to know that any swing in momentum was caused by a fight or that the outcome came about as a result of the fight.

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 04:52 PM
  #21
Jefe88
Registered User
 
Jefe88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Port Coquitlam
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post


This.

Yes, we still lost the series... But the 8th Seeded team took #1 to 7 games.
So this might be a dumb question but when the ref calls the penalty and is just standing there while Boyle is getting jumped, why does he not try to stop Carkner?

Jefe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 05:25 PM
  #22
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,821
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Did it? How can you tell? It seems like something totally unmeasurable except by anecdotal evidence.

There's no way to know that any swing in momentum was caused by a fight or that the outcome came about as a result of the fight.
The game and series was completely different after the fight.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 05:26 PM
  #23
Banana Sandwiches
Registered User
 
Banana Sandwiches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe88 View Post
So this might be a dumb question but when the ref calls the penalty and is just standing there while Boyle is getting jumped, why does he not try to stop Carkner?
It's not their job to break up fights. That is the linesmen's job.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:35 PM
  #24
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Did it? How can you tell? It seems like something totally unmeasurable except by anecdotal evidence.

There's no way to know that any swing in momentum was caused by a fight or that the outcome came about as a result of the fight.
I think you had to be there. The Pens were down 3-0 in the game. Fleury had let in a couple of soft goals. I don't think the Pens wanted to have to go back home for a Game 7. So Talbot dropped the mitts and Carcillo being the type who reacts first and then thinks later worked right into Talbot's plan. Almost immediately after the fight the game changed in the Pens' favour. They seemed more upbeat and forced the play better. They started to look like the 2009 champs after all. The game went totally the other way to the point where Crosby netted an empty netter to seal it. The momentum shifted right after that fight. This was the first fight I was going to post when seeing this thread.

Another one. It didn't result in a win for the Islanders (almost) but in 1975 when the young Gillies kicked the tar out of Schultz it sort of laid the groundwork that the Flyers could be beaten at their own game. In 1976 Robinson tamed the Broad Street Bullies as well. The Gillies victory was the first crack in the armour for the Flyers.

I also think the bloodbath in March of 1997 between the Red Wings and Avs set a precedent. The Wings were not a rough and tumble team per se, they weren't wimps but they didn't intimidate much. But that night they all rocked the Avs. Every Wing on the ice won their fight. McCarty bloodied Claude. Larionov of all people bloodied Forsberg and Vernon beat Roy. Not to mention Shanahan tackling Roy at center ice. Shanny wasn't there in 1996 when Lemieux hit Draper from behind but he became part of that rivalry very quickly. After that, I had a new found respect for Detroit. The Avs won the Cup in 1996 and looked like they might do it again in 1997 but Detroit just looked like a different and more cohesive team in the playoffs.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:53 AM
  #25
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Did it? How can you tell? It seems like something totally unmeasurable except by anecdotal evidence.

There's no way to know that any swing in momentum was caused by a fight or that the outcome came about as a result of the fight.
From what I watched, Pittsburgh went from non-existent to just running over the flyers.

There's a reason players and coaches say there's a time to fight and there's a time when you just have to say no

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.