HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

World Cup Tickets

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2005, 09:32 PM
  #1
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
World Cup Tickets

I was interested in going to the World Cup in Germany, and I was just wondering if anyone knows how to go about getting tickets, what process will be used for the lottery, and so on. I've checked the official sites, and the only thing they seem to say is that things will start to get rolling Feb. 1st. I guess it will be very hard to get tickets, and I need to come up with a battle plan for the lottery.

The Rage is offline  
Old
01-21-2005, 10:26 PM
  #2
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I was interested in going to the World Cup in Germany, and I was just wondering if anyone knows how to go about getting tickets, what process will be used for the lottery, and so on. I've checked the official sites, and the only thing they seem to say is that things will start to get rolling Feb. 1st. I guess it will be very hard to get tickets, and I need to come up with a battle plan for the lottery.

Right there with ya man. I know I'm headed over there I've got a place to stay in Bremen, Berlin and Frankfurt. What sucks about getting tickets is you dont' know who's going to be playing there at that time. I'm sure there will be scalpers everywhere and I just read an article saying that FIFA has approved the usage of big screens and displays in towns that are holding games outside in the open as long as their is no commercial use. So that definitely helps!

LiquidClown is offline  
Old
01-21-2005, 10:44 PM
  #3
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown
Right there with ya man. I know I'm headed over there I've got a place to stay in Bremen, Berlin and Frankfurt. What sucks about getting tickets is you dont' know who's going to be playing there at that time. I'm sure there will be scalpers everywhere and I just read an article saying that FIFA has approved the usage of big screens and displays in towns that are holding games outside in the open as long as their is no commercial use. So that definitely helps!
Yes, I think I will go even if I don't get tickets, just to bask in the atmosphere and party it up with my friends!

The Rage is offline  
Old
01-21-2005, 10:59 PM
  #4
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Yes, I think I will go even if I don't get tickets, just to bask in the atmosphere and party it up with my friends!

Amen to that my friend, German beer, German girls, German cars, and footy? What else can you ask for? Oh that's right Amsterdam within driving distance

LiquidClown is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 02:00 AM
  #5
Belgian Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 11,968
vCash: 500
A good shot would be by making sure Canada is there and apply for Canadian allocated tickets.
But since that is unlikely I wouldn't know.


With Euro 2000 here the public could apply for tickets about a year or so in advance, but they were not all sold out so there were still tickets left for later on.

Belgian Fan is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 02:05 AM
  #6
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Fan
A good shot would be by making sure Canada is there and apply for Canadian allocated tickets.
But since that is unlikely I wouldn't know.
Canada is already eliminated.

I think I might save a boatload of money and go in 2006. I have family in Holland, and I could always train to whatever German city in which Holland is playing on their matchdays and try to get scalped tickets. If not, it would still be fun to watch the games in bars.

What's the violence like in Germany? Would I get beaten halfway, or all the way to death if I wear orange in Germany during the World Cup?

BCCHL inactive is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 02:29 AM
  #7
Strizzi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
What's the violence like in Germany? Would I get beaten halfway, or all the way to death if I wear orange in Germany during the World Cup?
The impression I get fromt he outside is that Germans are easier towards the Dutch than the other way round. So I think you should be ok as long as you try to stay out of the hot spots (where the hardcore fans of both sides meet).

Strizzi is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 02:40 AM
  #8
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
The impression I get fromt he outside is that Germans are easier towards the Dutch than the other way round. So I think you should be ok as long as you try to stay out of the hot spots (where the hardcore fans of both sides meet).

i think that depends on the area, from what I gathered from my time up north (Bremen)...The Clockwork weren't all that much cared for but I seriously doubt you'd run into any violence problems unless you happen to be in a group with a-holes starting stuff....besides both are most likely to be eliminated after the first round anyways!!! hahahaha


Belgian> So with tickets you can apply for certain country allocations? It's not just I want tickets for this stadium on this day?

LiquidClown is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 02:56 AM
  #9
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 26,483
vCash: 432
The main problem is that usually the hooligans are from Holland (in the Germany-Holland games).
Germans are no angels, but Holland is at another level (though they've cooled compared to a few years ago).
Personally, I would not buy some WC tickets, since the games are not always that great (quality of the teams in WC are very relative) and it costs amazing money. You'd be better off traveling to a CL quarter finalist and catch a home and away game (think Monaco-Real from last year, or Arsenal-Chelsea). It would be cheaper, you could see two games, two nice cities (OK one city in the Arsenal-Chelsea game) and you'd probably have better football played.
Just my two cents...
You would be better off

Evilo is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 03:17 AM
  #10
Strizzi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown
Belgian> So with tickets you can apply for certain country allocations? It's not just I want tickets for this stadium on this day?
No, a big percentage of the tickets is reserved for the two participating teams. The reason is that when the sale starts, it's not clear yet which teams will meet (as you already pointed out). And because of this, they make sure that at the end, they have a large part of the stadium filled with the fans of the teams that play.

So (hypothetically, the numbers are not correct) it could work like this: 30% get sold in advance for whoever wants a ticket, and 35% are reserved for the fans of each team.

Strizzi is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 11:02 AM
  #11
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
The main problem is that usually the hooligans are from Holland (in the Germany-Holland games).
Germans are no angels, but Holland is at another level (though they've cooled compared to a few years ago).
Personally, I would not buy some WC tickets, since the games are not always that great (quality of the teams in WC are very relative) and it costs amazing money. You'd be better off traveling to a CL quarter finalist and catch a home and away game (think Monaco-Real from last year, or Arsenal-Chelsea). It would be cheaper, you could see two games, two nice cities (OK one city in the Arsenal-Chelsea game) and you'd probably have better football played.
Just my two cents...
You would be better off
That is pethaps true, but I seriously doubt I'll be able to miss two weeks of school to see a couple of CL games. Also, the experience of the World Cup itself is something I want to be part of. Thanks for your imput though, maybe someday when I'm done school I'll take a couple of weeks of vacation and enjoy some great club games.

The Rage is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 11:35 AM
  #12
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 26,483
vCash: 432
And if you need a place to stay, I live about 3 hours from Paris.

Evilo is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 12:21 PM
  #13
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,790
vCash: 500
The only way team Canada can get into the WC is if they hosted the event.


Vic Rattlehead* is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 01:53 PM
  #14
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
And if you need a place to stay, I live about 3 hours from Paris.

The Rage is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 02:14 PM
  #15
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
No, a big percentage of the tickets is reserved for the two participating teams. The reason is that when the sale starts, it's not clear yet which teams will meet (as you already pointed out). And because of this, they make sure that at the end, they have a large part of the stadium filled with the fans of the teams that play.

So (hypothetically, the numbers are not correct) it could work like this: 30% get sold in advance for whoever wants a ticket, and 35% are reserved for the fans of each team.

Alright that makes sense, those tickets would go on sale then very shortly after the schedules are released I'm guessing?

As The Rage said, it may be cheaper to go and watch club football but the atmosphere is what makes the World Cup so special.

LiquidClown is offline  
Old
01-23-2005, 02:51 AM
  #16
Strizzi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown
Alright that makes sense, those tickets would go on sale then very shortly after the schedules are released I'm guessing?
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown
As The Rage said, it may be cheaper to go and watch club football but the atmosphere is what makes the World Cup so special.
Makes sense. For us, it will be very close this time, but in order to have a shot at tickets, Switzerland will have to qualify I guess... But in case that won't work, we'll still have the Euro 2008

Strizzi is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.