HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Confusing Daly Quote

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2005, 11:01 AM
  #76
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
i agree ... but BEttman is paid to do something about it and he has so far failed.

dr
And Goodenow is paid to do something about it and he has so far failed.

As you have been told ad nauseum, Bettman takes his marching orders from the Owners. He doesnt make them up on his own.
Just has the owners refuse to move off a salary cap, the NHLPA will not negotiate at all on one. They are both steadfast in their positions. The difference being is that the players are guided by Goodenow, & if this process does not work out for them, there is 1 guy to blame & thats Goodenow.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
01-23-2005, 11:05 AM
  #77
HFNHL PIT GM
OlliMacBjugStrome
 
HFNHL PIT GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
And Goodenow is paid to do something about it and he has so far failed.

As you have been told ad nauseum, Bettman takes his marching orders from the Owners. He doesnt make them up on his own.
Just has the owners refuse to move off a salary cap, the NHLPA will not negotiate at all on one. They are both steadfast in their positions. The difference being is that the players are guided by Goodenow, & if this process does not work out for them, there is 1 guy to blame & thats Goodenow.
the players havent asked goodenow to change the system. the nhl has demanded from bettman that he change the system and he has failed to deliver it.

the only mechanism the owners have other than negotiating is to ..... do nothing.

if i was an owner, i would consider a cancelled season to be a failure of bettman.

dr

HFNHL PIT GM is offline  
Old
01-23-2005, 11:13 AM
  #78
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
the players havent asked goodenow to change the system. the nhl has demanded from bettman that he change the system and he has failed to deliver it.

the only mechanism the owners have other than negotiating is to ..... do nothing.

if i was an owner, i would consider a cancelled season to be a failure of bettman.

dr
Of course the players dont want the system changed, they have ***** & pillaged for 10+ years.
Its the players who wont negotiate on a cap, now will they. And why wont they? Cause of a philisophical disagreement.? Yeah ok. Nope, its greed & nothing else .
If this season fails, there is one guy to blame & thats Goodenow.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
01-23-2005, 12:02 PM
  #79
HFNHL PIT GM
OlliMacBjugStrome
 
HFNHL PIT GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Of course the players dont want the system changed, they have ***** & pillaged for 10+ years.
Its the players who wont negotiate on a cap, now will they. And why wont they? Cause of a philisophical disagreement.? Yeah ok. Nope, its greed & nothing else .
If this season fails, there is one guy to blame & thats Goodenow.
ok, lets accept the players are jerks in this whole mess.

bettman should be fired for failing to corral the negotiating party and for failing to keep his business operating.

he hasnt brought what the owners demanded. for whatever reason. failure is failure.

bye bye bettman.

dr

HFNHL PIT GM is offline  
Old
01-23-2005, 12:47 PM
  #80
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
ok, lets accept the players are jerks in this whole mess.

bettman should be fired for failing to corral the negotiating party and for failing to keep his business operating.

he hasnt brought what the owners demanded. for whatever reason. failure is failure.

bye bye bettman.

dr
And so, I take it by that analysis you would also can Goodenow. Surely you cant say he has succeeded. His constituents , who he is guiding, are not playing hockey & are losing millions.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
01-23-2005, 01:05 PM
  #81
HFNHL PIT GM
OlliMacBjugStrome
 
HFNHL PIT GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
And so, I take it by that analysis you would also can Goodenow. Surely you cant say he has succeeded. His constituents , who he is guiding, are not playing hockey & are losing millions.
i think an argument can be made for it, sure.

however, i think the case is very clear on bettman. the NHL is where it is today and no one can deny in the most literal sense it has been driven into the ground. it happened on bettmans watch, how he can keep his job i have no idea.

dr

edit: if hte players were to vote to accept a cap and he refused to negotiate it, then yes he should be fired.

HFNHL PIT GM is offline  
Old
01-23-2005, 01:09 PM
  #82
Bauer83
Registered User
 
Bauer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 515
vCash: 6065
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
He is referring to payroll disparity in any context.



if you believe this, there is plenty of ocean view property available in Banff for sale.



allow teams to carry a 25m payroll, or less, if they choose.
Would everyone pay attention to the fact that the had a salary floor as well. So now teams cannot carry a payroll of 25 million or less. Start looking up the facts before you shoot off your mouth.

Bauer83 is offline  
Old
01-23-2005, 01:09 PM
  #83
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
i think an argument can be made for it, sure.

however, i think the case is very clear on bettman. the NHL is where it is today and no one can deny in the most literal sense it has been driven into the ground. it happened on bettmans watch, how he can keep his job i have no idea.

dr

edit: if hte players were to vote to accept a cap and he refused to negotiate it, then yes he should be fired.
You fail to understand that he takes & always has taken his marching orders from the owners. In contrast, Goodenow has actually been the author of this for the NHLPA.

Sammy* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.