HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

North America vs World

View Poll Results: Who wins?
North America 66 56.90%
World 50 43.10%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-28-2012, 10:32 AM
  #26
Jocke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
Just curious, why is McDonaugh starting over Letang?

Anyways,

Forwards: World Much more lethal and explosive than the NA.
Defense: NA More balanced than World.
Goalies: World Lundqvist and Rinne are the best goalies in the world right now.

Overall: World, because all 4 lines can explode at any time. That firepower, with two of the best goalies in the world, beats NA in 5-6 games.
I agree with this.

Man I'd be willing to pay a lot of money to see this matchup


Last edited by Jocke: 08-28-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:28 AM
  #27
laleli
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
lol. you can beat NA with only ONE european country...

why do you NA have to be so cocky sometimes?

laleli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:36 AM
  #28
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 4,032
vCash: 500
My heart says World...

...But my head says World.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:44 AM
  #29
NEWFowler
hi
 
NEWFowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by laleli View Post
lol. you can beat NA with only ONE european country...

why do you NA have to be so cocky sometimes?
lol wut?

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:48 AM
  #30
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
I'd say World. That's not really the best North American team that they could ice, but the World team is really top.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:49 AM
  #31
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by laleli View Post
lol. you can beat NA with only ONE european country...

why do you NA have to be so cocky sometimes?
Really? Did you watch the 2010 Olympics?

Gold: Canada
Silver: USA

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:55 AM
  #32
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 4,032
vCash: 500
Here we go.


*My country better than yours*

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:57 AM
  #33
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NyLand
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,597
vCash: 500
The US goaltending really helps Canada out.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:03 PM
  #34
oil4life14
Registered User
 
oil4life14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
Haha. Eberle is the weak link on that team but sure.
weak link haha u funny

oil4life14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:03 PM
  #35
Christmas Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Christmas Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
No way Weber - Suter beats Chara - Karlsson.
In a seven game series, I'd rather have the pairing that knows each other.

If it was a build a franchise thread, I'd maybe go with Chara and EK

Christmas Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:13 PM
  #36
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,463
vCash: 500
Poor construction of NA roster. Kane and Kessel should definitely be there instead of Eberle and Benn. Backes as 4th line center over Bergeron.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:14 PM
  #37
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
In a seven game series, I'd rather have the pairing that knows each other.

If it was a build a franchise thread, I'd maybe go with Chara and EK
In that case, Sedin line > any other line.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:33 PM
  #38
MAK19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Poor construction of NA roster. Kane and Kessel should definitely be there instead of Eberle and Benn. Backes as 4th line center over Bergeron.
Sigh... challenge accepted.


David Backes
Quality of Competition = 1st on his team
Relative Corsi = 5.6
+/- On the ice per 60 min = 0.73; Team +/- Off the ice per 60 min = 0.47; Difference = 0.26

Patrice Bergeron
Quality of Competition = 2nd on his team to linemate Marchand
Relative Corsi = 18.5
+/- On the ice per 60 min = 1.73; Team +/- Off the ice per 60 min = 0.32; Difference = 1.41

Backes is awesome, but Bergeron won the Selke for a reason. And he's better offensively.





Jordan Eberle
Relative Corsi = 5.7
+/- On the ice per 60 min = 0.55; Team +/- Off the ice per 60 min = -0.55; Difference = 1.10
Points per 60 min of ice time = 3.08 (3rd in the league to Malkin and Crosby)

Jamie Benn
Relative Corsi = 10.7
+/- On the ice per 60 min = 0.76; Team +/- Off the ice per 60 min = -0.48; Difference = 1.24
Points per 60 min of ice time = 2.88 (5th in the league, behind Stamkos + other 3^)

Patrick Kane
Relative Corsi = 7.3
+/- On the ice per 60 min = 0.50; Team +/- Off the ice per 60 min = 0.02; Difference = 0.48
Points per 60 min of ice time = 2.47 (30th in the league)

Phil Kessel
Relative Corsi = 3.2
+/- On the ice per 60 min = -0.32; Team +/- Off the ice per 60 min = -0.53; Difference = 0.21
Points per 60 min of ice time = 2.46 (32nd in the league)


The Corsi and +/- numbers, which are adjusted to team, are an indication of two-way play. Benn and Eberle blow Kane and Kessel out of the water.

Kane and Kessel are too one dimensional for my liking, and apparently are worse offensively than Benn and Eberle too. Crosby, Malkin, Eberle, Stamkos and Benn are the top 5 in points per ice time.

I'll stick with my original picks. And yes I have 'watched' these players... the stats just back up that Eberle and Benn are better.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:33 PM
  #39
SweYote
Registered User
 
SweYote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lund, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil4life14 View Post
weak link haha u funny
He shouldn't even be there. That spot belongs to Phil Kessel.

Edit: Beaten to it by Warrioroftime. I agree with him.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:35 PM
  #40
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Sigh... challenge accepted.


David Backes
Quality of Competition = 1st on his team
Relative Corsi = 5.6
+/- On the ice per 60 min = 0.73; Team +/- Off the ice per 60 min = 0.47; Difference = 0.26

Patrice Bergeron
Quality of Competition = 2nd on his team to linemate Marchand
Relative Corsi = 18.5
+/- On the ice per 60 min = 1.73; Team +/- Off the ice per 60 min = 0.32; Difference = 1.41

Backes is awesome, but Bergeron won the Selke for a reason. And he's better offensively.





Jordan Eberle
Relative Corsi = 5.7
+/- On the ice per 60 min = 0.55; Team +/- Off the ice per 60 min = -0.55; Difference = 1.10
Points per 60 min of ice time = 3.08 (3rd in the league to Malkin and Crosby)

Jamie Benn
Relative Corsi = 10.7
+/- On the ice per 60 min = 0.76; Team +/- Off the ice per 60 min = -0.48; Difference = 1.24
Points per 60 min of ice time = 2.88 (5th in the league, behind Stamkos + other 3^)

Patrick Kane
Relative Corsi = 7.3
+/- On the ice per 60 min = 0.50; Team +/- Off the ice per 60 min = 0.02; Difference = 0.48
Points per 60 min of ice time = 2.47 (30th in the league)

Phil Kessel
Relative Corsi = 3.2
+/- On the ice per 60 min = -0.32; Team +/- Off the ice per 60 min = -0.53; Difference = 0.21
Points per 60 min of ice time = 2.46 (32nd in the league)


The Corsi and +/- numbers, which are adjusted to team, are an indication of two-way play. Benn and Eberle blow Kane and Kessel out of the water.

Kane and Kessel are too one dimensional for my liking, and apparently are worse offensively than Benn and Eberle too.

Crosby, Malkin, Eberle, Stamkos and Benn are the top 5 in points per ice time.

I'll stick with my original picks. And yes I have 'watched' these players... the stats just back up Eberle and Benn are better.
I don't base everything off last season. Kessel is one of the best Goal Scorers in the game and Kane is one of the best playmakers.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:46 PM
  #41
Benny FTW
44.jgp
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,290
vCash: 50
NA, easily.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:14 PM
  #42
Hammer Time
Registered User
 
Hammer Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,762
vCash: 500
My NA team:
Parise-Crosby-Giroux
Kane-Toews-Sharp
Tavares-Pavelski-Thornton
Seguin-Bergeron-Kesler
Eberle

Suter-Weber
Keith-Doughty
Girardi-McDonagh
Pietrangelo

Quick
Price
Luongo

PP: Tavares-Crosby-Giroux
Suter-Weber

PK: Toews-Bergeron
Girardi-McDonagh

Tried to improve chemistry by throwing NHL teammates together. Included many two-way forwards to make it difficult for Europe coach to line match.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:21 PM
  #43
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 45,640
vCash: 50
Gone in expecting NA

picking world

Canada really does improve with the US goalies though

biggest snub- Jankowski

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:49 PM
  #44
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,420
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
My NA team:
Parise-Crosby-Giroux
Kane-Toews-Sharp
Tavares-Pavelski-Thornton
Seguin-Bergeron-Kesler
Eberle

Suter-Weber
Keith-Doughty
Girardi-McDonagh
Pietrangelo

Quick
Price
Luongo

PP: Tavares-Crosby-Giroux
Suter-Weber

PK: Toews-Bergeron
Girardi-McDonagh

Tried to improve chemistry by throwing NHL teammates together. Included many two-way forwards to make it difficult for Europe coach to line match.
Subban >Girardi
Not here to argue though. I like your team better than the OP's team.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:12 PM
  #45
MAK19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Subban >Girardi
Not here to argue though. I like your team better than the OP's team.
Oh come on man he has Thornton on RW and in what world is Pavelski better than Benn?

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
  #46
Pohlow
Registered User
 
Pohlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Frisco, Tx
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
1st line:NA
2nd line:World
3rd line:World
4th line:World

1st pairing:World (AINEC)
2nd pairing:NA
3rd pairing:NA

Lundqvist>Quick World
Rinne>Price World
Miller<Lehtonen World


Overall: World

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:11 PM
  #47
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,140
vCash: 500
I find it very interesting that projected rosters were being configured at the end of last season and Spezza wasnt on any. Now that we have all these all north american rosters he is on the team?

On northamerican ice team North America wins on European Ice team Europe wins.

These are the lineups I would go with.

St Louis Crosby Stamkos
Parise Spezza Giroux
Perry Tavares Eberle
Brown Toews Backes
Bergeron

Letang Doughty
Suter Weber
Keith Seabrook
Pietrangelo

Quick
Price
Miller

World

Malkin Kopitar Hossa
Sedin Sedin Kovalchuk
Ovechkin Backstrom Eriksson
Zetterberg Datsyuk Alfredsson
Gaborik

Chara Karlsson
Edler OEL
Kronwall Markov
Timmonen

Rinne
Lundqvist
Kiprusoff

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:17 PM
  #48
Cawz
Registered User
 
Cawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oiler fan in Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,259
vCash: 500
NA because of the defense.

I wish the all-star game went back to thsi format.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:19 PM
  #49
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil4life14 View Post
weak link haha u funny
I don't know why, but whenever a person is defending the same guy he has in his profile picture I completely disregard everything they say.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:59 PM
  #50
Darnell Nurse
SMASHBROS2014
 
Darnell Nurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
Haha. Eberle is the weak link on that team but sure.
Imagine this

NA is down by 1, there's 30 seconds left, whats going to happen?

And Eberle is on the ice

Darnell Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.