HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 MLB Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2012, 02:59 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
And..Dickey gets his 20th win today!! WOOHOO!!

Old
09-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I hate Ivan Nova

he better not be on the playoff roster

Old
09-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Nova's gonna keep on Noving, and nobody can stop him.

Presumably the rotation will have more depth come playoff time though, so we won't have to use him.

Old
09-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

7th no-no of the year from Homer Bailey last night

Also:

Quote:
Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine told ESPN 98.7's Michael Kay that he wished he had listened to a particular piece of advice from former pitcher Al Leiter over the winter, writes Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com. Leiter later told Kay that his advice was to work to get pitcher Josh Beckett on his side as he can be difficult at times. Beckett, of course, would later be a part of the club's massive payroll purge in their deal with the Dodgers.

Old
09-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Bit late to be regretting that. I'm sure all their fans are regretting the hiring of Bobby V in the first place.

Old
09-29-2012, 09:51 AM
davebenj

Getting no-hit by Homer Bailey is almost impossible lol

Old
10-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Miguel Cabrera homers tonight to take the HR lead in the AL with 44

He leads in all 3 Triple Crown Categories with 2 games remaining - Hamilton has 43 and is in the 3rd inning of his game tonight also with 2 games remaining

Old
10-02-2012, 07:14 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Too bad it's not possible for the Yankees, Orioles, Rangers and A's to finish with the same record, I was kinda hoping for mass chaos at the end of the season. Although the Rangers and A's can essentially have a one-game playoff for the division tomorrow if the A's beat them tonight, and the Yankees and Orioles can still have a one-game playoff before the WC playoffs.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Ibanez with a two-run shot to tie it up!!

Old
10-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Will the Ibanez haters please stand up? I loved the signing in the offseason for exactly this reason.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Rauuuuuul

Game tying and winning hits

Big day tomorrow

Old
10-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Clutch win, the Yankees really needed that breathing room. I don't want to deal with the wild card crap.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

I don't care what playoff matchup the Yankees have but for the love of God not the Tigers.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:05 AM
apice3*

Three ways Cabrera doesn't win Triple Crown, two of which are realistic.

1. Cabrera 0 RBI, Hamilton 13 RBI
2. Cabrera 0 HR, Hamilton 2 HR
3. Cabrera 0/4, Trout 4/4

Cabrera pretty much locks up the batting crown with a hit. A home run pretty much locks up the Triple Crown.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Tonight the 2012 Mets are finally euthanized. Everyone but Harvey is tradeable (although I'd like to hang on to Tejada and Davis, of course), and resigning Wright and Dickey is essential if you want to A. have any hope of being respectable next year and B. getting anyone to show up/watch.

I'm jumping on the BrOrioles bandwagon for the playoffs.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
I don't care what playoff matchup the Yankees have but for the love of God not the Tigers.
Well, if they're going to make it anywhere in the playoffs, they'll probably have to face them eventually.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:47 AM
davebenj

Do you think if god forbid the tigers beat the yankees again, they would take over the angels for most hated team?

Old
10-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

if craig kimbrel doesn't win the cy young, they might as well just officially write starters only on it.

best strikeout to innings pitched ratio ever
lowest opponent average against any pitcher since 1900
lowest ops against any pitcher since the stat is available
best whip by an nl reliever since 1900
50% of hitters faced strike out
best strikeout to hit ratio of all time.

convince me of one reason he doesn't deserve it other than the fact that he's a closer

Old
10-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
if craig kimbrel doesn't win the cy young, they might as well just officially write starters only on it.

best strikeout to innings pitched ratio ever
lowest opponent average against any pitcher since 1900
lowest ops against any pitcher since the stat is available
best whip by an nl reliever since 1900
50% of hitters faced strike out
best strikeout to hit ratio of all time.

convince me of one reason he doesn't deserve it other than the fact that he's a closer
Wins Above Replacement objectively analyzes the contributions of batters/pitchers based on their overall contribution to the team compared to what a replacement level player (think of it as a minor league call-up) would do. Kimbrel's rate stats are amazing, but he's only pitched 61 innings.

Kimbrel, despite his masterful season, only has 3.4 WAR (tied with Chapman for best among relievers). Granted, this is amazing for 61 innings (prorates to 10+ wins over 200 innings), and a full one win above the next best reliever (Fernando Rodney), however starters are more valuable. The essence of it is that if Kimbrel were replaced by a replacement level reliever, the Braves would be 3.4 wins worse.
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

Meanwhile, Gio Gonzalez and Clayton Kershaw have WARs above 5.0. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

A reliever, no matter how good they are, should never win the Cy Young. They pitch 1/3 the amount of innings as a starter. Arguing for their place in Cy Young voting is like claiming a positional player who missed 100 games of the season should be eligible for the MVP.

Last edited by Feed Me A Stray Cat: 10-03-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old
10-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Wins Above Replacement objectively analyzes the contributions of batters/pitchers based on their overall contribution to the team. Kimbrel's rate stats are amazing, but he's only pitched 61 innings.

Kimbrel, despite his masterful season, only has 3.4 WAR (tied with Chapman for best among relievers). Granted, this is amazing for 61 innings (prorates to 10+ wins over 200 innings), and a full one win above the next best reliever (Fernando Rodney), however starters are more valuable.

Meanwhile, Gio Gonzalez and Clayton Kershaw have WARs above 5.0. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

A reliever, no matter how good they are, should never win the Cy Young. They pitch 1/3 the amount of innings as a starter. Arguing for their place in Cy Young voting is like claiming a positional player who missed 100 games of the season should be eligible for the MVP.
i would greatly disagree with your last point. it's nothing like that at all. the cy young is supposed to be awarded to the BEST pitcher in the league. not the most valuable, not the pitcher who pitched the most innings, the best. Sure kimbrel has a lower war than a starter, everyone would expect that, but i fail to see how that means they are better pitchers this year.

and even if you do want to make it an mvp award, you could easily argue that the braves would have won fewer games without him, as his war would suggest, and we've seen in the past that "mvp" awards will often go to the player with the more impressive stats that are just quite valuable to their team over a guy that is very valuable to his team but is not quite as impressive in the stats department. it's the same reason the al mvp award has a good chance of going to cabrera despite trout's exceptional war.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
i would greatly disagree with your last point. it's nothing like that at all. the cy young is supposed to be awarded to the BEST pitcher in the league. not the most valuable, not the pitcher who pitched the most innings, the best. Sure kimbrel has a lower war than a starter, everyone would expect that, but i fail to see how that means they are better pitchers this year.

and even if you do want to make it an mvp award, you could easily argue that the braves would have won fewer games without him, as his war would suggest, and we've seen in the past that "mvp" awards will often go to the player with the more impressive stats that are just quite valuable to their team over a guy that is very valuable to his team but is not quite as impressive in the stats department. it's the same reason the al mvp award has a good chance of going to cabrera despite trout's exceptional war.
If the MVP award goes to Cabrera instead of Trout it's an absolute travesty.

I guess we have different perspectives, but here's the way I view it (in a very simplified manner): A replacement level pitcher might have a 5.00 ERA. A replacement level reliever might have a 4.00 ERA. Replacing a 2.75 ERA starter with a 5.00 ERA starter over 200 innings is a much bigger loss than replacing a 1.00 ERA reliever with a 4.00 ERA reliever over 65 innings.

A good starter will pitch 75% of the game. A good reliever will pitch 12%. Who has a bigger effect on a team's chances of winning?

Old
10-03-2012, 01:07 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
If the MVP award goes to Cabrera instead of Trout it's an absolute travesty.
Yea, a triple crown winner on a team that needed a late surge to make the playoffs shouldn't win the MVP.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:08 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Also, look at the Mets bullpen and look at the Orioles bullpen and tell me that they don't decide games as well.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:10 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Closers are eminently replaceable in the regular season, even the Yankees haven't skipped a beat with Soriano filling in for the Great Mariano. Kimberl's peripherals may be fantastic but I fail to see how a guy who pitched 45 meaningful innings was the best pitcher in baseball. Valverde was perfect in save opportunities last year, and nobody was clamoring for him to win it.

You can give it to a reliever if there are no dominant starters but you have two 20-game winners (one on a bad team), and another guy in Kershaw that might have better numbers than them. It's not solely a 'most valuable' pitcher otherwise Dickey and Kershaw would have no shot but starters are more valuable than relievers in general.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
Yea, a triple crown winner on a team that needed a late surge to make the playoffs shouldn't win the MVP.
It's not even close. Trout was, by far, the most valuable player in baseball this season. WAR leaders:

Trout and Cabrera were pretty equal as hitters this season. The main difference comes in that Trout plays a premium defensive position and plays it very well. Cabrera is bad defensively. Trout saved 13 runs with his defense this year, while Cabrera yielded 9 runs with his defense (even if you don't like stats, it doesn't take a genius to acknowledge that Trout is a great fielder and helps his pitchers out immensely while Cabrera doesn't). That's a huge gap.

Closed Thread