HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 MLB Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2012, 06:49 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Why doesn't this excuse apply to the Devils too?
Because the Devils still sell out playoff games

I'm actually surprised it's come to this with the Yankees. I know they have ticket issues behind home plate but it's not just the expensive seats that don't sell out. And the first two games of the ALCS were weekend games. And among even the 'fans' that show up, there's a constant mass exodus in the late innings, even Devil fans aren't that bad vis-a-vis leaving early.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
True but it's nice to have the umps make the right calls. Yankees can only blame themselves and themselves being the offense. The pitching staff has nothing to be ashamed of.
Pretty much, ya. They've all had decent starts, it's just that the Yankees aren't hitting worth a damn.

That blown call was costly, but it wasn't the reason the Yankees lost when they couldn't score.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

I'm with those who are saying it is not the umps fault the Yankees lost, it is never an officials fault for a team losing a game because of the other opportunities prior that were not taken advantage of - the Yankees not being able to hit the ball, their best hitter not having a hit in 26 ABs and 4 guys in the lineup with a combined 40 strikeouts this post season

That being said, how can you be that close and have that good of vision of the play and **** it up?

Old
10-15-2012, 01:43 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Because the Devils still sell out playoff games

I'm actually surprised it's come to this with the Yankees. I know they have ticket issues behind home plate but it's not just the expensive seats that don't sell out. And the first two games of the ALCS were weekend games. And among even the 'fans' that show up, there's a constant mass exodus in the late innings, even Devil fans aren't that bad vis-a-vis leaving early.
ESPN radio said that the old stadium was a beer and pretzel facility whereas the new one is a wine and cheese one. In the old stadiums, you had the die hards staying for every pitch. In this stadium, you have a lot of tickets going to brokers and businsses, and there's more people there just trying to enjoy themselves as opposed to the game. By the 7th inning, it's time to head out and beat the traffic.

It's the ticket prices, concessions, and parking prices that kill the atmosphere. It's not a really affordable day for the average 18-24 year old, or for the father-son combinations.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:58 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Evidently there were 5,000 tickets available a few hours before the game on stubhub. less then 20 bucks. I might have gone for the hell of it.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:14 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Evidently there were 5,000 tickets available a few hours before the game on stubhub. less then 20 bucks. I might have gone for the hell of it.
It's just not worth going if you're not a Yankee fan. 20 bucks for a ticket, 40 for a train/parking, 15+ dollars in tolls if you drive, plus at least 20 more food and drinks.

You'd be approaching a 100 dollar night just to go to a baseball game, and that's with a ticket coming at at least 75% off face value.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:26 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
It's just not worth going if you're not a Yankee fan. 20 bucks for a ticket, 40 for a train/parking, 15+ dollars in tolls if you drive, plus at least 20 more food and drinks.

You'd be approaching a 100 dollar night just to go to a baseball game, and that's with a ticket coming at at least 75% off face value.
I'm considering it for game 6 Saturday night even though I'm a Met fan. There's over 11,000 tickets right now on StubHub which is just less than a quarter of the ballpark (how many brokers have tickets? Holy ****) so I figure they will drop a decent amount. Let's just say it's $40 the ticket followed up by $4.50 for the train for me and I could eat at McDonald's across the street for $7 or $8. Comes out to just over $50 for a possible AL championship game. Not bad at all.

I understand the trip to the park and everything is expensive but I can't believe Yankee fans aren't jumping on some of these prices on StubHub. Saturday night game with prices dropping down to the $20-$30 range for the second level and people still won't buy it?

10-15-2012, 02:35 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I'm considering it for game 6 Saturday night even though I'm a Met fan. There's over 11,000 tickets right now on StubHub which is just less than a quarter of the ballpark (how many brokers have tickets? Holy ****) so I figure they will drop a decent amount. Let's just say it's $40 the ticket followed up by $4.50 for the train for me and I could eat at McDonald's across the street for $7 or $8. Comes out to just over $50 for a possible AL championship game. Not bad at all.

I understand the trip to the park and everything is expensive but I can't believe Yankee fans aren't jumping on some of these prices on StubHub. Saturday night game with prices dropping down to the $20-$30 range for the second level and people still won't buy it?
2nd round, down 2-0 just isn't an appetizing game to go to.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:17 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Bingo, that's my main problem with everyone saying it's too expensive. Especially when people used to pay a **** ton more on the secondary market in prior years. THESE ARE PLAYOFF GAMES, good christ $50 for a single ticket even factoring in train cost and $10 meal at the park or Penn Station is beyond fair. From Morristown, I could drive to South Orange, pay $17.50 combined for NJTransit and subway roundtrips, snack something at Penn Station for a few bucks if I needed to and a $30-35 ticket off StubHub wouldn't exactly break the bank.

Again, I repeat - FOR A PLAYOFF GAME! You're not going to be paying the same prices you would for the KC Royals in June, sorry. ****, it was a bargain when I was getting $60 season tickets for the ECF (the hockey equivalent to the ALCS) and people were paying three times that on the secondary market

Old
10-15-2012, 03:20 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
2nd round, down 2-0 just isn't an appetizing game to go to.
He was talking about possibly going to Game 6, which would be 3-2 either way - certainly a marquee game to go to considering the AL pennant could be won that night. Shoot, if these ticket prices are good enough I'll be tempted to go too. I'd probably wind up paying at least twice this if the Mets ever managed to get back to the NLCS lol.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

There are still a lot of people out there that are unaware of the secondary markets or just negligent to use them because of trust and not knowing how to use them - far more than we are even aware of

Many assume that because all of us are aware of the benefits of the secondary market and that depending on the source, it is trustful, reliable and we know how to use it, that everybody else is the same

There are a ton of people my parents age that haven't a clue about this stuff and come to me for help because of the amount of sporting events I go to , so there are a lot that don't even bother or think to check stubhub or whatever for those prices

Old
10-15-2012, 03:54 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

My brother got my parents tickets to a Red Sox game off stubhub for cheap when they went to Boston for a weekend. they sent us a picture of the seats and it turns out home plate was blocked by a support pillar hahahahhaa

Old
10-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
ESPN radio said that the old stadium was a beer and pretzel facility whereas the new one is a wine and cheese one. In the old stadiums, you had the die hards staying for every pitch. In this stadium, you have a lot of tickets going to brokers and businsses, and there's more people there just trying to enjoy themselves as opposed to the game. By the 7th inning, it's time to head out and beat the traffic.

It's the ticket prices, concessions, and parking prices that kill the atmosphere. It's not a really affordable day for the average 18-24 year old, or for the father-son combinations.
I think this is accurate. It shouldn't matter for a sports stadium, but it seems like the history dropped out of the place when they replaced it. And the demographics of who's buying tickets are definitely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
My brother got my parents tickets to a Red Sox game off stubhub for cheap when they went to Boston for a weekend. they sent us a picture of the seats and it turns out home plate was blocked by a support pillar hahahahhaa
Fenway is remarkably poorly designed. If an architect submitted that design for a stadium today he'd be laughed at. But since it's historic, Sox fans embrace it, quirks and all.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:30 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

To be fair Fenway is over 100 years old. Obviously it is not going to meet modern architectural standards.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:38 PM
apice3*

I've never been to Fenway, but I heard the seats in foul territory in Fenway don't even face home plate. A lot of them are parallel to the foul line. Architecture and structural design wasn't what it is today 100 years ago.

I also heard they don't do much to keep the place clean.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
To be fair Fenway is over 100 years old. Obviously it is not going to meet modern architectural standards.
Even when it was built it must have looked ungainly. That said, they were constrained by building the stadium in downtown Boston, there was no way for them to fit it in its dimensions without some crazy features like the Green Monster.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

I'm going to be in class when the Yankees game starts and I'm still debating if I should bother to DVR it. Homework and studying is one reason why I don't want to stay up all night watching baseball but still.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:03 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Even when it was built it must have looked ungainly. That said, they were constrained by building the stadium in downtown Boston, there was no way for them to fit it in its dimensions without some crazy features like the Green Monster.
Have you seen some of the other stadiums from that time period? They're all really weird looking.

Polo Grounds

Old
10-15-2012, 06:30 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Why doesn't this excuse apply to the Devils too?
Quote:

Well, I can't drink beer so thats a positive in that regard. And while true, I haven't experienced a baseball playoff game, in my memory. I think I went to a game in 2000...but I can't remember lol.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Yankee Stadium has ****** attendance because obviously of costs of driving in but another reason is the ****ing subway system. I couldn't get on a 4 train three separate times at 59th/Lexington because they were jammed packed. I eventually slid in but I felt like a sardine. By the third inning the amount of fans in their seats appeared to increase by 25%.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:39 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Have you seen some of the other stadiums from that time period? They're all really weird looking.

Polo Grounds
I loved playing there in the old MVP video games

Old
10-15-2012, 06:40 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:

Polo Grounds
That is because as said they were buil to fit within city blocks. Now when they buils stadiums they change the city blocks to fit the stadium.

As for Fenway, I visited it around 99 and 00, it was a dump. I was 12-13 at the time and I couldn't see the infield because of people sitting in front of me. Apparently it is a bit nicer now, but I can't imagine it is much better in terms of view.

On the other hand in 2003 I visited Wrigley and the place is great. You feel like you are on top of the action up close.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
I loved playing there in the old MVP video games
MVP 2005 ftw, best baseball video game ever created

I played that thing for years and as recent as a year ago

Old
10-15-2012, 06:45 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Yankees Stadium isn't sold out because the have priced everyone out. It isn't because of traffic, the traffic is the same as the old place and the old Stadium was packed.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:47 PM
apice3*

MVP was the greatest sports series ever. It was such a shame that EA made deals with other companies to get exclusive rights to NFL in exchange for exclusive rights to MLB. Madden was the cream of the crop anyway, it's not like 2ksports was going to take over.

All the baseball videogames since are garbage.

Closed Thread