HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do Jets fans think about the Ilya Trade

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-28-2012, 12:00 PM
  #1
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*
 
GermanJetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Darmstadt, GER
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,029
vCash: 50
What do Jets fans think about the Ilya Trade

We're now 2,5 years after the Thrashers traded their best player in franchise history and Jets 2.0 franchise history. When the Thrashers traded him back in February 2010 it was a big day for the franchise and in the NHL. Ilya wanted to leave Atlanta and would not have resigned with the Thrashers, but im sure everybody remembers that.

I'd like to know what the current fans, which are not the same fans when it happened, really think 2,5 years after and what it turned out to be for our current roster.

The trade was

To NJD:
Ilya Kovalchuck
Anssi Salmela
2nd Round ATL 2010

To ATL:
1st Round 2010
Niclas Bergfors
Johnny Oduya
Patrice Cormier
2nd NJD 2010

Bergfors:
Bergfors had a good start but it went downhill quickly. He was traded to Florida for Radek Dvorak who wasn't resigned. That part of the trade is not in any ways in our current roster or depth system anymore.

1st ATL and 2nd NJD 2010 Picks:
The 1st Round 2010 pick was the biggest and most important piece in the big blockbuster deal with the Blackhawks, when the Thrashers traded...:

1st NJD (#24 OVR)
2nd NJD (#54 OVR)
Marty Reasoner
Joey Crabb
Jeremy Morin

for

Dustin Byfuglien
Brent Sopel
Ben Eager
Akim Aliu

... a bad trade. But anyway, back to our trade.

Johnny Oduya:
Jets traded him at last years deadline to Chicago for a 2nd and a 3rd Round 2013 Pick.

Cormier:
-


Summary:

After all, the Kovalchuck trade leaves us currently with:

Dustin Byfuglien
2nd and 3rd Round CHI Pick 2013
Patrice Cormier



Please correct me if I forgot something


*edit*

Corrected bodybreak's and Dave512's notifications.


Last edited by GermanJetsFan: 08-29-2012 at 12:28 AM.
GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:08 PM
  #2
mondo3
Registered User
 
mondo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 865
vCash: 571
If that's correct, then I'd say NJ won that trade. But if I recall, he wanted out of Atlanta and that doesnt always allow for the best trading scenario as you're not trading out of strength.

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:08 PM
  #3
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,149
vCash: 50
I'm fine with it. Even though the return left lots to be desired, I'd rather have big buff the kovalchuk. I've never really respected the guy as a player, abd if I'm honest, I don't believe that he's the kind of guy the True North would want on this team. Definitely not worth the 100mil that he was offered.

Just my opinion

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:25 PM
  #4
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
If that's correct, then I'd say NJ won that trade. But if I recall, he wanted out of Atlanta and that doesnt always allow for the best trading scenario as you're not trading out of strength.
Considering ATL would have received nothing without the trade, I have a hard time calling it a loss.

If we consider Buff, Cormier and a couple draft picks a return for a player that would have walked, that really isn't bad at all.

...better than the Hossa trade anyways...

Hossa and Pascal Dupuis

for

Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito, and the Pens 1st-round pick in 2008 (Daultan Leveille)

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:37 PM
  #5
Dave512
Registered User
 
Dave512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Albany NY
Country: United States
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Summary:

After all, the Kovalchuck trade leaves us currently with:

[B]Dustin Byfuglien
2nd and 3rd Round NJD Pick 2013
Patrice Cormier
Quick correction, as you noted above, those picks are from Chicago, not NJ.

As a former Thrasher fan, I was upset when Kovalchuk was dealt, as he was one of my favorite players. Best that the team got something for him though (as little as it's amounted to, apparently), since he wanted out anyway.

As it turns out, I ended up living in Albany NY, and buying seasons tickets to the Albany Devils with a crazy Devils fan friend, so I still root for Kovy in a way. Just not when he's playing the Jets!

Dave512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:46 PM
  #6
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
We're now 2,5 years after the Thrashers traded their best player in franchise history and Jets 2.0 franchise history. When the Thrashers traded him back in February 2010 it was a big day for the franchise and in the NHL. Ilya wanted to leave Atlanta and would not have resigned with the Thrashers, but im sure everybody remembers that.

I'd like to know what the current fans, which are not the same fans when it happened, really think 2,5 years after and what it turned out to be for our current roster.

The trade was

To NJD:
Ilya Kovalchuck
Anssi Salmela
2nd Round ATL 2010

To ATL:
1st Round 2010
Niclas Bergfors
Johnny Oduya
Patrice Cormier
2nd NJD 2010

Bergfors:
Bergfors had a good start but it went downhill quickly. He was traded to Florida for Radek Dvorak who wasn't resigned. That part of the trade is not in any ways in our current roster or depth system anymore.

1st ATL and 2nd NJD 2010 Picks:
The 1st Round 2010 pick was the biggest and most important piece in the big blockbuster deal with the Blackhawks, when the Thrashers traded...:

1st ATL
2nd NJD
Marty Reasoner
Joey Crabb
Jeremy Morin

for

Dustin Byfuglien
Brent Sopel
Ben Eager
Akim Aliu

... a bad trade. But anyway, back to our trade.

Johnny Oduya:
Jets traded him at last years deadline to Chicago for a 2nd and a 3rd Round 2013 Pick.

Cormier:
-


Summary:

After all, the Kovalchuck trade leaves us currently with:

Dustin Byfuglien
2nd and 3rd Round NJD Pick 2013
Patrice Cormier



Please correct me if I forgot something
Though it would have been nice for sopel, eager, or bergfors to have turned into something longterm, i don't think this trade is a loss.

I bet NJ or Nashville would think they had died and gone to heaven if they got dusty buff, a 2nd, a 3rd, and cormier for suter or parise instead of jack ****.

Then again..maybe not, but it sure looks like a better deal then nothing.

Honestly if this happened last season, we had kovalchuk and he was going to be ufa and not going to resign and that was very very apparent, I would be happy with the return of Buff a 2nd a 3rd and Cormier. obviously i would have preferred 1 asset of the combined worth of a 2nd 3rd and cormier, but I don't think you can be too upset with it if you call those pieces the return.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:16 PM
  #7
Daddy Longlegs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Don't have a problem with the trade at all. Kovalchuks talent is undeniable as we all know, but I never cared for his character. I also would be less than pleased with having his gigundo contract on our hands. And like others have said, a least we got some sort of value in his departure. If it would have been someone like Toews instead of Kovy in the exact same situation, contract and all, yes I'd be extremely choked.

Daddy Longlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:17 PM
  #8
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Though it would have been nice for sopel, eager, or bergfors to have turned into something longterm, i don't think this trade is a loss.

I bet NJ or Nashville would think they had died and gone to heaven if they got dusty buff, a 2nd, a 3rd, and cormier for suter or parise instead of jack ****.

Then again..maybe not, but it sure looks like a better deal then nothing.

Honestly if this happened last season, we had kovalchuk and he was going to be ufa and not going to resign and that was very very apparent, I would be happy with the return of Buff a 2nd a 3rd and Cormier. obviously i would have preferred 1 asset of the combined worth of a 2nd 3rd and cormier, but I don't think you can be too upset with it if you call those pieces the return.
If we look at it this way...

Quote:
Buff with term, a 2nd, a 3rd and Cormier

or

A couple months of Kovi
Which would you rather have?

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:17 PM
  #9
KingSalamon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Perhaps it's a bit of Hockey God Karma? New Jersey 'stole' Kovy and as a result, lose Parise. I use stole as what was given was less than Kovy's value (and to help the Karma machine)

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:27 PM
  #10
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
Perhaps it's a bit of Hockey God Karma? New Jersey 'stole' Kovy and as a result, lose Parise. I use stole as what was given was less than Kovy's value (and to help the Karma machine)
Stole?

Stealing doesn't usually cost $100 Million and Kovi was gonna walk anyways.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:38 PM
  #11
KingSalamon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Stole?

Stealing doesn't usually cost $100 Million and Kovi was gonna walk anyways.
I used quotes for stole and explained my use for such.

As for the $100 million... if he would have stayed in Atlanta (or had gone anywhere) it would have likely cost the respective team that amount anyway.

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:55 PM
  #12
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland
 
atl thrasher344's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
Perhaps it's a bit of Hockey God Karma? New Jersey 'stole' Kovy and as a result, lose Parise. I use stole as what was given was less than Kovy's value (and to help the Karma machine)
Nobody 'stole' anything.

What we got for two months of Kovalchuk was fair market price. A first, a second, two of the Devils' top 5 prospects, and a depth defenseman is not a small price to pay for a player who could be gone in two months and is similar to what other premier players return when they are rentals.


Last edited by atl thrasher344: 08-28-2012 at 02:06 PM.
atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:03 PM
  #13
pondnorth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Don`t think about it at all.Don`t care about anything having to do with Atlanta.

pondnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:33 PM
  #14
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17
Registered User
 
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
I think Johney Os recent 3 year contract with Chicago had a lot to do with the Chicago GM having to justify the high price of a 2nd and a 3rd to Winnipeg at next years entry draft to his Chicago fans .. Good asset management by Chevy trading Johney for the 2nd and 3rd. In addition to the 2nd and 3 rd we also got the use of Johny O for the year to help stabilize the jets Defence for their 1st year in Winnipeg.

I also see Patrice Cormier playing a useful 3rd /4th line role for the Jets over the next 4/5 years.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:34 PM
  #15
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,692
vCash: 1989
It was a dumb trade done as a cost cutting measure by the Thrashers.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:40 PM
  #16
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17
Registered User
 
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
It was a dumb trade done as a cost cutting measure by the Thrashers.
I disagree ....I remember Atlanta putting a 10 year 100 mill offer on the table before the trade happened and was turned down.......Atlanta just got the best deal they could trading a superstar as a 3 month rental........

I fault the Atlanta management for alot of things ,but not this trade.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:51 PM
  #17
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland
 
atl thrasher344's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
It was a dumb trade done as a cost cutting measure by the Thrashers.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308935

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:16 PM
  #18
Thrashers94
We fly as one
 
Thrashers94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
It wasnt nearly as bad as the Hossa trade. I was more upset when Hossa was traded than Kovy.

Thrashers94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:22 PM
  #19
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 50
What do we think of it? We think it's in the past. Sure they didn't make a killing, but what are you going to do in that situation? Although Kovalchuk is a superstar, Atlanta was never going to get a lot of value out of him. Whatever team wanted him would only have him for 3 months before needing to sign him to a mega contract. There's only so many teams out there at the time that were willing to do that.

If I were to fault Atlanta management, it would be pushing prospects too fast. The Wheeler/Stuart acquisition was great.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:41 PM
  #20
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17
Registered User
 
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
The biggest blunder by the franchise was in 2007 trading away the future to make the playoffs.....trading a 1st for a used up keith tkatcuk and trading Brayden Corburn ( previous years 1st ) for a used up Russian D man and a bag of pucks.....what was his name........Zhitnik?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:50 PM
  #21
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
It was a dumb trade done as a cost cutting measure by the Thrashers.
yep definitly recall atlanta offering a 100million dollar contract. that he refused to sign. That was what made them shop him.

Definitely think the value was decent.

The hossa trade and cup run trades (as previously stated) were definitly far bigger blackmarks on the franchises history (from a "gming" perspective) then the Kovalchuk return.

Have to keep in mind bergfors and cormier were both highly regarded prospects at the time and have both "busted" in some sense (though I do feel cormier can/will still become a meaningful nhler)

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:08 PM
  #22
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,150
vCash: 50
All in all i dont think think they got what they could have for kovalchuk
But when a player says i want out publicly you are tied withvwhat you could get back

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:20 PM
  #23
bodybreak
We're Back!
 
bodybreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,274
vCash: 500
One correction: We sent 1st and 2nd NJ 2010 to CHI, and used our own first round pick that year to draft Burmistrov. By the way, CHI drafted Kevin Hayes with NJ's 1st pick.

If one trade couldn't have happened without the other, then let's combine the two. While I'm doing this, I don't consider that we "gave up" Sopel, Eager or Aliu, who are no longer here, because they were traded for other pieces that we still have. In that sense...

We got:
Dustin Byfuglien
Patrice Cormier
Ben Maxwell
2nd CHI 2013
3rd CHI 2013
Brennan Serville
Austen Brassard
John Negrin

We gave up:
Ilya Kovalchuk
Joey Crabb
Marty Reasoner
Nigel Dawes
Jeremy Morin
Anssi Salmela (who jumped to the KHL last year)
2nd ATL 2010 (Jon Merrill)
4th WPG 2012 (Oliver Archambault)


I'm very much okay with that.




Trades not already mentioned in this thread:
Brent Sopel (and Nigel Dawes) to MTL for Ben Maxwell (and 4th MTL in 2011, which we later traded along with 4th WPG 2011 for 3rd MTL 2011, and used to draft Brennan Serville)
Ben Eager to SJ for 5th in 2011 (Austen Brassard)
Akim Aliu to CGY for John Negrin


Last edited by bodybreak: 08-28-2012 at 04:31 PM.
bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:21 PM
  #24
Nothing Is New
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
I don't now. Jersey plays a tight checking game (not unlike the Jets) and made the finals with Kovy.

And the Thrashers did have to trade Kovy - AT THE TIME OF THE TRADE. But with better ownership and general manager-ship, we may have been able to keep Savard, Hossa, and Kovy. And I expect with that threesome, we may have been able to go a little into the playoffs. Yeah, IF.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:27 PM
  #25
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
I don't now. Jersey plays a tight checking game (not unlike the Jets) and made the finals with Kovy.

And the Thrashers did have to trade Kovy - AT THE TIME OF THE TRADE. But with better ownership and general manager-ship, we may have been able to keep Savard, Hossa, and Kovy. And I expect with that threesome, we may have been able to go a little into the playoffs. Yeah, IF.
Definitly agree with that. Savard Hossa and Kovy would have been a very nice forward core.

That being said, in regard to the post above (the one before the one i'm quoting) i'm very much ok with those deals. I don't have very high hopes for serville or brassard, but i suppose it's certainly not unheard of for players taken in their spots to eventually turn into a meaningful NHL player.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.