HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

***NHL 13 Thread*** (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2012, 12:33 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
I'll try and make a reasonable post about legends without some of the immature comments earlier in the thread (ie. suck it ea)

The last EA game i played was NHL 11. Normally I upgrade every other year (But i did get 10 and 11 due to the CHL being added). So when I last played there were no legends. Well there were but they were ones I created which it seems I still can do this year. So the way i look at it is I'll have a handful of players I can either put into my game or leave off. Ones I want to add I create. Are 10 deserving legends and 10 undeserving legends not better than no legends at all?

Some folks don't seem to understand how rights work. Do you realize in the Madden series game (which does have current coaches in the game), current coach Bill Belichick is not in the game because he refuses to sign off on having his likeliness? It's also a common thing for games based off movies to have to omit characters because the actor does not sign off on it. Therefore it's not EA's fault for every 'legend' not in the game.

I kind of touched on the female debate earlier in the thread but I'll elaborate a tad. Male gamers far outweigh female gamers and male hockey fans far outweigh female hockey fans so it does stand to reason the male:female ratio of people who purchase this game will be heavily lopsided to the male end. But there will be females, I know a few which have in the past created themselves and had to create themselves as a male. So how many players will be in this game? Probably around 5000? And people are upset that TWO of them will be females? I'm sure the male:female ratio of NHL 13 buyers wont be quite as staggering as 2500:1

Now if I did have to criticize an aspect of the Legends handling. Personally I'd prefer to only have players who retired prior to 1990 for the reason that they had never been in a video game before. Madden has been doing it for a while, the boxing games do it as do the golf ones, and while inaccurate how cool would it be to have a line of Rocket Richard, Gretzky, and Crosby with Doug Harvey and Orr on defense and Terry Sawchuk in net?

Old
08-30-2012, 12:36 PM
hockeybpr25

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1396 View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but im looking for an OTP GM Connected league for the xbox to join. I have no idea if there are any out there and since im a rookie user on this site I cannot start a thread about it myself. Is there anyone out their who can point me in the right direction maybe?
Nice post/day ratio..

Old
08-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Offspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
We need the ability to re-create history, you know, start a dynasty or a be-a-pro in 1983 and work our way out
Yes! It would phenomenal to play Be-A-GM in 1983 or something and be able to re-draft players like Stamkos, Kane, Fleury etc. etc.

If only...

Old
08-30-2012, 01:24 PM
matt1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybpr25 View Post
Nice post/day ratio..
Huh?

Old
08-30-2012, 01:36 PM
SittingDuck

hey this might be a stupid question, but what's the difference between this true broadcast camera view. and the broadcast views from previous games? Looking at videos of it on youtube and can't really say it looks different at all.

Old
08-30-2012, 01:45 PM
InUtero
Oilers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SittingDuck View Post
hey this might be a stupid question, but what's the difference between this true broadcast camera view. and the broadcast views from previous games? Looking at videos of it on youtube and can't really say it looks different at all.
Broadcast camera moves from side to side with the puck and true broadcast is stationary and turns

Old
08-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfever View Post
Haters coming in 3...2....1...

All I gotta say is....

Sucks to be Dustin Penner.

Old
08-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
I'll try and make a reasonable post about legends without some of the immature comments earlier in the thread (ie. suck it ea)

The last EA game i played was NHL 11. Normally I upgrade every other year (But i did get 10 and 11 due to the CHL being added). So when I last played there were no legends. Well there were but they were ones I created which it seems I still can do this year. So the way i look at it is I'll have a handful of players I can either put into my game or leave off. Ones I want to add I create. Are 10 deserving legends and 10 undeserving legends not better than no legends at all?

Some folks don't seem to understand how rights work. Do you realize in the Madden series game (which does have current coaches in the game), current coach Bill Belichick is not in the game because he refuses to sign off on having his likeliness? It's also a common thing for games based off movies to have to omit characters because the actor does not sign off on it. Therefore it's not EA's fault for every 'legend' not in the game.

I kind of touched on the female debate earlier in the thread but I'll elaborate a tad. Male gamers far outweigh female gamers and male hockey fans far outweigh female hockey fans so it does stand to reason the male:female ratio of people who purchase this game will be heavily lopsided to the male end. But there will be females, I know a few which have in the past created themselves and had to create themselves as a male. So how many players will be in this game? Probably around 5000? And people are upset that TWO of them will be females? I'm sure the male:female ratio of NHL 13 buyers wont be quite as staggering as 2500:1

Now if I did have to criticize an aspect of the Legends handling. Personally I'd prefer to only have players who retired prior to 1990 for the reason that they had never been in a video game before. Madden has been doing it for a while, the boxing games do it as do the golf ones, and while inaccurate how cool would it be to have a line of Rocket Richard, Gretzky, and Crosby with Doug Harvey and Orr on defense and Terry Sawchuk in net?
When you see how NBA2k is doing it and even did it before 2k11 that's how I want it. They at least gave you enough legends to do some fun things with even if they basically could only be used in the blacktop mode.

In NHL they don't get enough to fill a whole team. It'd be like the Canadian centennial teams having 10 greats and the rest are filled with the current team. They did it right before they didn't last year and I voted with my wallet.

Old
08-30-2012, 03:42 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
They should put more time and effort towards other things... legends are useless

They say they are a small development teams and have limited funds, yet they spend time working on legends? Unacceptable

Online multiplayer dynasty are step one, step two should be historic roster

and not just one team with random stars from the past like they did with the Canadiens team in '09

Real rosters and not just stanley-cup winning teams, I'm talking full-blown rosters for every team since the start of the expansion era

We need the ability to re-create history, you know, start a dynasty or a be-a-pro in 1983 and work our way out

They can't limit us to 25-years dynasty

Then, they should do the same but with CHL and european leagues

Also try and include the KHL, NCAA and international tournaments like WJCs and Olympics
Yeah good luck getting full blown rosters of guys who are either deceased or retired. The NHL team would need to get permission and licensing from each individual person or their families if they've passed and get plays from alumni associations of teams, it's not some simple little process. I'd rather have core gameplay worked on then historic rosters. NCAA would be nice but you can't even have the real players as KHL won't be in a NHL branded game, for WJC and Olympics you need the IIHF license which isn't simple and cheap to acquire......

Old
08-30-2012, 03:58 PM
hockeybpr25

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1396 View Post
Huh?
post. per. day. ratio.

Old
08-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
post. per. day. ratio.
uh.. who the **** cares?

Old
08-30-2012, 04:38 PM
thrillhouse99

I play HUT so the legends matter to me and while I'm happy to see gilmour in the game I'm otherwise disappointed. I'm fine with adding the women to the game, it's good to embrace that demographic and make everyone feel included, but 3 NHL legends to be added isn't enough. I understand the limitations but they really needed to add more like 5 or 6 legends along with the two women.

Old
08-30-2012, 04:43 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
I play HUT so the legends matter to me and while I'm happy to see gilmour in the game I'm otherwise disappointed. I'm fine with adding the women to the game, it's good to embrace that demographic and make everyone feel included, but 3 NHL legends to be added isn't enough. I understand the limitations but they really needed to add more like 5 or 6 legends along with the two women.
It would have helped if they could have kept the old ones.

Old
08-30-2012, 04:43 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
breaking news Nathan MacKinnon plays for the Halifax Mooseheads!

So yes he'll be in the game and availble to be drafted in 2013

The real question is what kind of potential ratings will he have
Yeah i knew he would be in the game, but you said it better, what will the potential be. Cause in nhl 12 i could get yakupov in the 2-6th rd and i could get teuvo undrafted.

Old
08-30-2012, 04:57 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Yeah i knew he would be in the game, but you said it better, what will the potential be. Cause in nhl 12 i could get yakupov in the 2-6th rd and i could get teuvo undrafted.
Always edit the undrafted prospects before playing. EA outright sucks at making realistic ratings for them.

Old
08-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
Yeah good luck getting full blown rosters of guys who are either deceased or retired. The NHL team would need to get permission and licensing from each individual person or their families if they've passed and get plays from alumni associations of teams, it's not some simple little process. I'd rather have core gameplay worked on then historic rosters. NCAA would be nice but you can't even have the real players as KHL won't be in a NHL branded game, for WJC and Olympics you need the IIHF license which isn't simple and cheap to acquire......
They didn't seem to have a problem with it in "09 with the Canadiens Centennial team.

Old
08-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
I know of all the licensing problems, it sucks for sure

I'm just daydreaming

Old
08-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Passchendaele

They should have all-time teams like 2k used to.

I don't care if the player is named Defenseman 1 or something, as long as we can edit the names like we could in 2k.

Old
08-30-2012, 06:19 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
They didn't seem to have a problem with it in "09 with the Canadiens Centennial team.
That's because they came to them and said they'd like to be in the game.

Old
08-30-2012, 06:34 PM
AlanHUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
When you see how NBA2k is doing it and even did it before 2k11 that's how I want it. They at least gave you enough legends to do some fun things with even if they basically could only be used in the blacktop mode.

In NHL they don't get enough to fill a whole team. It'd be like the Canadian centennial teams having 10 greats and the rest are filled with the current team. They did it right before they didn't last year and I voted with my wallet.
Pippen wasn't going to be in the dream team before a fan backlash at him caused him to change his mind and allow his likeness to be used

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tec...-to-dream-team

maybe you can use fan outrage to get more legends involved...

Old
08-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
OMG People- some legends were NOT created in a game?! EA is SO stupid. NHL Sucks! 3 Legends isn't enough- that's the end of the world, because I don't know how to create players myself!

I feel very sorry for those who spent $60 dollars on a game because of some stupid legends team or some 'custom' created players. Wow..

EAs biggest mistake was marketing the hole Legends BS, because they appealed a bunch of shallow arcade gamers. "You scored a goal with Gretzky - WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT!"

FFS!

Old
08-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
OMG People- some legends were NOT created in a game?! EA is SO stupid. NHL Sucks! 3 Legends isn't enough- that's the end of the world, because I don't know how to create players myself!

I feel very sorry for those who spent $60 dollars on a game because of some stupid legends team or some 'custom' created players. Wow..

EAs biggest mistake was marketing the hole Legends BS, because they appealed a bunch of shallow arcade gamers. "You scored a goal with Gretzky - WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT!"

FFS!
A mistake that probably made them money.

Old
08-30-2012, 07:04 PM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post

FFS!
Wow what a completely unreasonable response to my post.

Old
08-30-2012, 07:20 PM
matt1396

Quote:
post. per. day. ratio.
Oh, i see.

Old
08-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Always edit the undrafted prospects before playing. EA outright sucks at making realistic ratings for them.
It's a lot of work to edit them all, and you gotta keep up with who they are or you'll miss a few. They should just try to do a little research and do it right.

Before they updated it, in NHL 11 guys like RNH, Landeskog, Murphy, Couturier didn't even had the right playstyle. RNH was a sniper, Landeskog a playmaker, Murphy a defensive defensemen, Couturier a sniper.

Closed Thread