HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why hasn't Lidstrom said yes to the WC yet?

Old
08-24-2012, 05:16 AM
PSGJ

vCash: 50
Why hasn't Lidstrom said yes to the WC yet?

I saw this yesterday; the players who will play in the WC for the Wings.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=640304

Anyone know why Lidstrom isn't in there yet?

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:49 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
The best announcement is saved for the last announcement.

Also Homer will be added... just wait.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Peter Tosh

vCash: 500
Why hasn't Shanahan announced it yet? Is his role with the league preventing him from suiting up for a team for bias-reasons?

And Yzerman and Hull, are they prevented because of their commitments to their present teams?

Shanahan-Yzerman-Hull
Kozlov-Larionov-Fedorov
Robitaille-Drake-Holmstrom
Kocur/McCarty-Draper-Maltby

Good ****!

Peter Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:55 AM
FissionFire

I believe Yzerman has been quoted as saying he will not participate, which considering his position makes sense. I'm sure people around here wouldn't be too thrilled to read stories about Ken Holland skating around and spending time prepping for a glorified exhibition game in the middle of the season, especially if we're a likely playoff bubble team. Plus I doubt attending the WC is just a quick trip. Everyone would want him to participate in meet-and-greets and autograph signings for the fans as well. Sort of like the players at the All-Star game.

Really Yzerman has nothing to gain by coming. If he plays, he risks alienating his own team and/or their fans. If he plays and blows off the fan-oriented stuff he just loses some of his lustre to Wings fans (and believe me he would in the eyes of many). But if he skips completely everyone gives him a pass since, well he is the GM of another team in the middle of a season.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Robitaille is director of hockey operations for the Kings. This position isn't anywhere near the prominence of a general manager, but it's not too far from what Hull is. I think the reason Hull isn't going to play is that he has gained 50 pounds since his last time on NHL ice.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Harnessed in Slums

In Ricky Bobby fashion Nick Lidstrom wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence. I don't see an alumni game fitting in with how Norris Nick rolls.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:39 PM
InGusWeTrust
hockey.tk

vCash: 542
I think Yzerman's knee is what is really keeping him from playing.

EDIT: Of course being a GM doesn't help either

InGusWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:52 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Isn't it going to be hilarious if Lidstrom plays in the alumni game and he is better than any defenseman currently playing on both the Wings and Leafs?

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 02:36 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
I believe Yzerman has been quoted as saying he will not participate, which considering his position makes sense. I'm sure people around here wouldn't be too thrilled to read stories about Ken Holland skating around and spending time prepping for a glorified exhibition game in the middle of the season, especially if we're a likely playoff bubble team. Plus I doubt attending the WC is just a quick trip. Everyone would want him to participate in meet-and-greets and autograph signings for the fans as well. Sort of like the players at the All-Star game.

Really Yzerman has nothing to gain by coming. If he plays, he risks alienating his own team and/or their fans. If he plays and blows off the fan-oriented stuff he just loses some of his lustre to Wings fans (and believe me he would in the eyes of many). But if he skips completely everyone gives him a pass since, well he is the GM of another team in the middle of a season.
Just a side question, do you know how often Yzerman is actually in Detroit? It is more than you think in between games or when they have big four day breaks. Keep in mind his kids and wife still live in the area. He has not sold his house and he doesn't plan on it either from other conversations he has had publically. I think the problem is he will have either just been here with them or they will have come down to Tampa for the Christmas break.

A lot of the points you state are true, I don't know that he wants to play in a game like this. He is a pretty fiery guy, easy going alumni hockey might not be his cup of tea. I do think if he comes it will be a last minute thing where he does skip most of the media stuff. You think people would be upset, my guess is the standing ovation and the surprise would be more than enough everyone would forget.

My guess is Lidstrom has his jersey retired around the same time as the classic. At least that would make sense and he is back in town for that. Both Nick and Stevie were very at peace with walking away from the game though, don't know that this kind of event really does it for either guy.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:35 PM
RedMachine87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tosh View Post
Why hasn't Shanahan announced it yet? Is his role with the league preventing him from suiting up for a team for bias-reasons?

And Yzerman and Hull, are they prevented because of their commitments to their present teams?

Shanahan-Yzerman-Hull
Kozlov-Larionov-Fedorov
Robitaille-Drake-Holmstrom
Kocur/McCarty-Draper-Maltby

Good ****!
Yeah, good luck Toronto alum team. You're going to need it.

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:10 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post

Anyone know why Lidstrom isn't in there yet?
Lidstrom seems like the type of guy who couldn't care less about this type of thing. If he does it, it's for the fans.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:10 PM
RomersWorld*

Joe Nieuwendyk is playing for the Leafs... who he played like 60 games for and he is the GM of another team. If he is playing for the Leafs, I don't see how Yzerman won't be playing for the Red Wings...unless the knee thing is true.

Saw on NHLnetwork:
Dallas Drake, Petr Klima, Paul Ysebaert, Garry Unger will play for the Wings.
Joe Nieuwendyk, Mats Sundin, Borje Salming, and Frank Mahovlich added for the Leafs.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 12:14 PM
JamieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Joe Nieuwendyk is playing for the Leafs... who he played like 60 games for and he is the GM of another team. If he is playing for the Leafs, I don't see how Yzerman won't be playing for the Red Wings...unless the knee thing is true.

Saw on NHLnetwork:
Joe Nieuwendyk, Mats Sundin, Borje Salming, and Frank Mahovlich added for the Leafs.
Personally, I think it's really lame and selfish for Yzerman to do the "I'm not coming" thing. It's actually going to create more attention for him by not going.

I don't buy the "knee" as the reason either. He's not crippled and we're talking about a frigging alumni game. It's a casual skate. His knee is not that bad that he can never skate again.
Plus, honestly, even if he had his leg amputated and wanted to be apart of it he would go and be a guest coach, etc, something just to be included. The main thing about these alumni games is to give the fans a chance to cheer for their name one more time.

I think there are 2 real reasons why Yzerman is taking the stance he is.

1. He's trying to distance himself from Detroit. There's a perception that he's still a Red Wing and that he's just in Tampa until the GM job becomes vacant in Detroit and then he will hop back to Detroit. He probably somehow thinks that by participating in this for Detroit it will show a lack of commitment to TB....it's ridiculous but I suspect that's the reason.

2. He just thinks alumni games or stupid and hokey.

Regardless, no doubt the right thing to do is to participate. It will be incredibly selfish if he sticks to it and I'm disappointed that he's taken the stance he has and has already attracted attention onto himself instead of the event. Yzerman always had the fake "I'm not important" persona but seriously, he knows that by not going it's going to be one of the headlines. Legends like Larionov and Fetisov are apparently coming despite their ties with the KHL and all the stuff between the two leagues and even Fedorov is apparently going to play -- if anyone had reason to snub the game it's Fedorov considering the way it ended in Detroit and the awful way he was greeted afterwards.

As for Lidstrom, I think he will play. He just retired. Probably the first thought after he retires isn't "but I will play in the WC alumni game!"

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 12:19 PM
JamieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post

The question is...could the Wings alumni team beat the 2012/13 edition of the Red Wings? Hmmm....

Old
08-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:

Saw on NHLnetwork:
Picking Nieuwendyk is already a joke. Being a GM for another team makes it a double joke.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 02:12 PM
JamieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Picking Nieuwendyk is already a joke. Being a GM for another team makes it a double joke.
The Leafs seem hard up to get players to participate. Hell, Kevin Maguire is playing for them! A goon for them for what, a season and a half? And then a terrible ref.

But being a GM of another team isn't a reason to not play. It's an alumni game. It doesn't matter.

Old
08-26-2012, 03:26 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post

I couldn't disagree more.
For one, I don't think anyone would hold it against any NHL gm for doing this. Besides. It's New Year's Day. What do we care how Kenny Holland or Stevie Yzerman spend their holiday.

I think most people are sophisticated enough to understand that being a GM isn't a 24-7 deal. He can check his voicemail between periods.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Elever
Hth

Anyone have a really good action picture of Lidstrom? Trying to make my own hockey cards for recently retired players, made one for Staios and am now gonna use photoshop for the first time to make one for the rest with Lidstrom being the first. A hockey card is only as good as the main pic though so if someone has a good one then would appreciate it.

The pic itself doesn't have to be recent as long as the quality is good.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:37 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:

Saw on NHLnetwork:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mahovlich, who will be days away from his 75th birthday, will not be suiting up to actually play...

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:30 AM
FabricDetails

Because he's a bad person.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:31 AM
hyduK

Because he's considering coming back for another season....

Right..?

hyduK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:27 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Lidstrom is the perfect human, he already knows the lockout will cancel the Winter Classic. If there was going to be one, he would have played one more year.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:51 PM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
Personally, I think it's really lame and selfish for Yzerman to do the "I'm not coming" thing. It's actually going to create more attention for him by not going.

I don't buy the "knee" as the reason either. He's not crippled and we're talking about a frigging alumni game...

I think there are 2 real reasons why Yzerman is taking the stance he is.

1. He's trying to distance himself from Detroit.
. . .
2. He just thinks alumni games or stupid and hokey.

Regardless, no doubt the right thing to do is to participate. It will be incredibly selfish if he sticks to it and I'm disappointed that he's taken the stance he has and has already attracted attention onto himself instead of the event.
Ooo, that hurt! Bet he's changing his mind as we speak.

At the end of the day, get it through - Yzerman is no longer a hockey player. He's a businessman. If he were up to it and time allowed, I'm sure he'd do it. But he's got just slightly more important business matters to consider (hello, lockout?) above and beyond standing on the ice waving to us just so we won't throw tantrums on online forums.

If Lecavalier was our GM and we were faced with a potential lockout with a team that's admittedly going to struggle to make the playoffs, I wouldn't want him dashing off to play an alumni game with old TB buddies, either. You got business here at home, pal.

NumberFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:03 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Lidstrom is the perfect human, he already knows the lockout will cancel the Winter Classic. If there was going to be one, he would have played one more year.
This.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:08 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberFive View Post
Ooo, that hurt! Bet he's changing his mind as we speak.

At the end of the day, get it through - Yzerman is no longer a hockey player. He's a businessman. If he were up to it and time allowed, I'm sure he'd do it. But he's got just slightly more important business matters to consider (hello, lockout?) above and beyond standing on the ice waving to us just so we won't throw tantrums on online forums.

If Lecavalier was our GM and we were faced with a potential lockout with a team that's admittedly going to struggle to make the playoffs, I wouldn't want him dashing off to play an alumni game with old TB buddies, either. You got business here at home, pal.
Well GMJN in Dallas did him no favors then. I wonder how angry Yzerman was about that decision. Joe Nieuwendyk has really put him in a tough position. A guy on the playoff bubble, building a team and only played in Toronto for one season can make it up. I have said several times around here I won't hold it against Stevie if he makes the choice not to come. But I think it is the wrong choice to make and he is going have trouble pretending his job in Tampa is the reason he can't. If he isn't there, it is because he doesn't want to play in it, but be clear it looks like it will be his decision alone and it is an option if he wanted any part of it.