Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Comparisons

Old
08-15-2012, 02:32 AM
TheSeguinEra2010*

vCash: 500
Prospect Comparisons

Which current or former players to your most compare our top prospects to. I havent seen a hell of a lot of them play so I am trying to get filled in on what to expect from the future stars of Causeway.

TheSeguinEra2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:59 AM
GoBs

Knight- Henrique
Spooner- Kessel/peverly
Caron-wheeler lite
Warsofsky- Wideman esque ( in a good way) I guess Enstrom is a good comparison as well.( if he tops out).

Someone who's seen these guys more can probably make some better comparisons.

Last edited by GoBs: 08-15-2012 at 06:12 AM.
GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Res Nullius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
Knight- Henrique
Spooner- Kessel/peverly
Caron-wheeler lite
Warsofsky- Wideman esque ( in a good way) I guess Enstrom is a good comparison as well.( if he tops out).

Someone who's seen these guys more can probably make some better comparisons.
I don't think Wheeler and Caron are comparable, but I suppose if you're narrowing the field to solely ex-bruins and what have you, then you aren't left with much. To me, Caron could top out as more of a Knuble-type winger on a scoring line; I think he's a much grittier player than Wheeler and certainly works the boards better. Wheeler is also a much better skater than Caron. I'm a big Caron advocate, but I see him as a guy who's going to have to work for every point he gets in the NHL.

Edit: I'm interested in hearing more about this Warsofsky kid, I've never seen him play.

Res Nullius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 View Post
Which current or former players to your most compare our top prospects to. I havent seen a hell of a lot of them play so I am trying to get filled in on what to expect from the future stars of Causeway.
There's a stickied thread above that discusses the Bruins' prospects in great depth. ^

Just a bit of a pet peeve, I don't like comparisons. I understand the principle, but IMHO it puts unfair expectations on players. I don't want "the second whomever," I want the first Knight or Spooner or whoever they are.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:38 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Knight - Ryan Callahan If he tops out

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:00 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

GoBs, those are all terrible comparisons

I'm guessing you've never seen any of them play

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
I like the Spooner/Pevs comparison. More offensive flair if he tops out and a little less defensive awareness, but pretty close.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Trap Jesus

Spooner and Pevs is a good one, but I'd say Spooner is better offensively and Pevs is better defensively (at least potential-wise). A lot of people like comparing Dougie to Pietrangelo but I like the Burns comparison better.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:52 AM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

I don't think Spooner compares to Peverley that much to be honest. Reminds me more of a Derek Roy. Spooner's D has gotten better..but he's still an offensive player. Ray Whitney is also a good comparison for him.

Knight reminds me of Callahan or a poor mans Mark Recchi.

Khoko reminds me of someone but I can't quite put my finger on it. I guess I would say a broke man's Giroux offensively, but no where near defensively. He's not your prototypical russian because he drives the net as well.

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:14 PM
TheSeguinEra2010*

Whatabout Hamilton. What defensemen does he remind you of.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Hamilton = Orr
Khokhlachev = Fedorov
Spooner = Crosby
Knight = Parise

No i'm not serious

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:29 PM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Hamilton = Orr
Khokhlachev = Fedorov
Spooner = Crosby
Knight = Parise

No i'm not serious
In all seriousness I have seen the Knight ZP comparisons. ZP without the high end scoring.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:44 PM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
GoBs, those are all terrible comparisons

I'm guessing you've never seen any of them play
Care to elaborate? It's tough coming up with a guy that is 100% comparable. I'm just recalling watching these guys and seeing glimpses of others in their game.

Widemans slow, but still a great skater and has some pretty good vision, and I have seen the same thing wih David.

Henrique and knight just play a style more geared for the NHL and jr.

Caron is big, but soft like wheeler, althOugh he uses his body in other ways to keep the puck on his stick.

Spooner has the vision and passing ability of a peverly with that straight line speed flying down the wing carrying the puck like Kessel.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:47 PM
TheSeguinEra2010*

Quote:
I heard a friend of mine say that Hamilton could be another Rob Blake or Drew Doughty.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:47 PM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Spooner and Pevs is a good one, but I'd say Spooner is better offensively and Pevs is better defensively (at least potential-wise). A lot of people like comparing Dougie to Pietrangelo but I like the Burns comparison better.
I have heard that comparison as well only where Pieterangelo is more defensively focused Hamilton is more offensively focused and uses his body a bit more.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:48 PM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Quote:
I started typing Doughty...but he relies on much less flash and more hockey IQ than Doughty. Pietrangelo is a comparison that gets thrown around because of his height and offensive talent combined with defensive hockey IQ, and it's a pretty damn good comparison. He could turn out to be many different players because the sky truly is the limit for this kid...but he's still a prospect and none of these guys are sure things. He could easily turn out to be Jay Boumeester, or he could be Rob Blake. I would say that's the range he's in...which is still a top 4 defender. I don't see a doubt about that other but it all depends on how he develops.

Last edited by BrainOfJ: 08-15-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old
08-15-2012, 03:54 PM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Quote:
I heard a friend of mine say that Hamilton could be another Rob Blake or Drew Doughty.
Well there...looks like your friend and I share some opinion...however, the Doughty I see just because of Dougie's love of finding the perfect pinch and skating ability, along with a mix of physical play in there...but Doughty is a pretty different defender I would say it's a pretty loose comparison..IMO DD8 is in a league of his own as far as all around play goes.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Hmm idk... his body kinda reminds me a bit of Pronger or McLaren at the same age... kinda long and rawboned... but he isn't as physical as either, and is much more mobile than McLaren.

I guess a less physical Pronger is the best I can come up with.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Montecristo

Hamilton- Brent burns
Knight- tuomu ruutu
Spooner- Sergei samsonov
Khoklachev- Valterri filppula
Matt grezlcyk- marc Andre Bergeron
Justin florek- Dwight king
Malcolm subban- roberto luongo/mike smith

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
I don't think Spooner compares to Peverley that much to be honest. Reminds me more of a Derek Roy. Spooner's D has gotten better..but he's still an offensive player. Ray Whitney is also a good comparison for him.

Knight reminds me of Callahan or a poor mans Mark Recchi.

Khoko reminds me of someone but I can't quite put my finger on it. I guess I would say a broke man's Giroux offensively, but no where near defensively. He's not your prototypical russian because he drives the net as well.
Kinda reminds me a little of one of my all time favorite players: Valeri Kamensky

Khoko's a little smaller but I see some similarities. He's got a little bit of Afinogenov in him too I think, but not quite the stickhandler/skater.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:28 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
Care to elaborate? It's tough coming up with a guy that is 100% comparable. I'm just recalling watching these guys and seeing glimpses of others in their game.

Widemans slow, but still a great skater and has some pretty good vision, and I have seen the same thing wih David.

Henrique and knight just play a style more geared for the NHL and jr.

Caron is big, but soft like wheeler, althOugh he uses his body in other ways to keep the puck on his stick.

Spooner has the vision and passing ability of a peverly with that straight line speed flying down the wing carrying the puck like Kessel.

I dont see much similarities between Henrique and Knight's game at all, the idea that they are/will better pros than juniors applies to more than just Knight

I dont see Wheeler in Caron's game at all, that might be your worst comparison. Caron reminds me of Mike Knuble

I've actually made the Peverley Spooner comparison before, but i was scratching my head when you mentioned kessel...

I've seen Warsofsky play probably more than the majority of this board and his game is nothing like Wideman's. He's a much better skater IMO.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Beesfan

Knight - Jordin Tootoo
Spooner - Danny Briere
Caron - Bobby Ryan (style wise, not as much talent)
Khokhlachev - Ribiero
Sauve - Sturm

Hamilton - Bouwmeester

Subban - M.A. Fleury

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:37 PM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
Knight - Jordin Tootoo
Spooner - Danny Briere
Caron - Bobby Ryan (style wise, not as much talent)
Khokhlachev - Ribiero
Sauve - Sturm

Hamilton - Bouwmeester

Subban - M.A. Fleury
While I don't really agree with these...I think Subban and Fleury is spot on

Old
08-15-2012, 05:43 PM
GoBs

Quote:
I dont see much similarities between Henrique and Knight's game at all, the idea that they are/will better pros than juniors applies to more than just Knight

I dont see Wheeler in Caron's game at all, that might be your worst comparison. Caron reminds me of Mike Knuble

I've actually made the Peverley Spooner comparison before, but i was scratching my head when you mentioned kessel...

I've seen Warsofsky play probably more than the majority of this board and his game is nothing like Wideman's. He's a much better skater IMO.
So the first one is true. Not to mention one of the better posters on here that has a pretty good relationship with the Knights. I want to say DKH,but I am not sure.

Caron Knuble would be good if Caron showed any aptitude for battling in front of the net, and in the corners. He shields the puck well, but won't go out of his way to forecheck. The Knuble example has been the popular comparison since his Draft, and I can see why, I was going with what I saw of him at the PRO level, and since his Rookie season it hasn't been much. WHEELER LITE is more appropriate, as Wheeler has developed nicely the past couple of years.

I don't know how many times I have seen Spooner break down that wing and wrip of a shot ala Kessel. He even looked like him out there in the prospects games. They even kind of skate a like. The Peverly comparison is good, but I think Spooner can be more.

I have known of Warsofsky for a while, since he was in 7-8th grade you could tell the kid was going to make it in the NHL.
I have seen him play in High school, played against him a couple of times, Watched him at BU, World JR's, and more than most in Providence. I don't feel like PMing you on how I know him/his family, but if a MOD truly needs to know feel free to PM me.

Wideman is one of the smoothest skaters in the NHL right now, what he lacks in speed he makes up for in technique. That certainly wasn't meant as an insult to Warsofsky whom I think is our best Defensive prospect out side of Hamilton.

Last edited by GoBs: 08-15-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old
08-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Res Nullius

Quote:

Sounds oddly familiar. jk

Res Nullius is offline   Reply With Quote