HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2012, 01:53 AM
tv14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Apparently Lethbridge is losing a crapload of money right now and Swift Current today reported a profit of just $4,000. Such is life when you have such a diversity of markets..
It was reported that last year the Hurricanes lost $600,000. Due to many factors including icing terrible teams, playing in an arena under renovations, selling season tickets for 25% off. Heres an article that explains it a little more.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...hockey,wp13296

Old
09-27-2012, 11:27 AM
monkeywrench

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ewanyk has been very good. Physical and a monster on the dot. Dont think he has lost a draw all night.

Moroz doesnt look like a fit on the St Croix, Foster line. He took a blindside elbow to the head in the first but was back on the ice in the second. No fights from him this year yet either. He hasnt been as physical as he used to be.

Disappointing would be a good word to describe his play so far this year.
It might be the Oilers telling him to learn more the skills part of the game. My buddy had the most fights in the whl one year and then once Ottawa drafted him they tooled him to calm down the rough side of the game and start learning the other part of the game, but I do agree Moroz has looked out of place on that line.

Old
09-27-2012, 11:29 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
It might be the Oilers telling him to learn more the skills part of the game. My buddy had the most fights in the whl one year and then once Ottawa drafted him they tooled him to calm down the rough side of the game and start learning the other part of the game, but I do agree Moroz has looked out of place on that line.
Im pretty sure it is exactly how you say. He's been told what to do and what they (Oilers and/or Oil King coaching staff) want from him. He is just following orders.

I dont agree with that though. He should be encouraged to do what made him successful, but they probably want to see his potential as a top six player. They already know he is tough as nails.

Old
09-27-2012, 03:43 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Im pretty sure it is exactly how you say. He's been told what to do and what they (Oilers and/or Oil King coaching staff) want from him. He is just following orders.

I dont agree with that though. He should be encouraged to do what made him successful, but they probably want to see his potential as a top six player. They already know he is tough as nails.
I agree with you on that. He should be doing what made him sucessful. I think being onthe second line would help his development more, and if he excels on the second line send him up to the 1st line for another crack. Baby steps instead of throwing him into the fire.

Old
09-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Gus Schmidt

Crappy news regarding Gernat. Has surgery on shoulder.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch...tml?id=7310641

Old
09-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Schmidt View Post

De Ja Vu all over again.

09-27-2012, 09:19 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Schmidt View Post

He's a true Oiler.

Gonna fit right in.

Old
09-27-2012, 10:36 PM
I am the Liquor

This blows, but like was said in the article, it gives some of the other guys playing time who otherwise wouldnt get it. I wonder if they make a play for Murray?

Old
09-28-2012, 09:22 AM
monkeywrench

Quote:
This blows, but like was said in the article, it gives some of the other guys playing time who otherwise wouldnt get it. I wonder if they make a play for Murray?
What do you guys think it would cost us to get Murray?

Old
09-28-2012, 10:36 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
What do you guys think it would cost us to get Murray?
Something like this.

Quote:
The Saskatoon Blades Hockey Club have made a trade with the Brandon Wheat Kings to acquire centre, Brayden Schenn and a 2012 3rd Round Draft Pick. In exchange the Blades have given up four draft picks: 1st Round in 2011, 2nd Round in 2011, 1st Round in 2012 and 1st Round in 2012 Import Draft. The Blades also included in the trade two prospects: Ayrton Nikkel (Pursuit of Excellence M-AAA) and Tim McGauley (Regina M-AAA).

Old
09-28-2012, 11:04 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
I am not so sure they need to. They can keep there picks and stay somewhat competitive in the coming years. There defence is already so solid. Reinhart and Lowe will log big minutes, Corbett may be able to step up offensively if given the chance.

Old
09-28-2012, 11:46 AM
edmontonfan59

Tonight will be a good test on D with no Corbett of Gernat. Hope Reinhart and Lowe got lots of sleep last night.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:56 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I am not so sure they need to. They can keep there picks and stay somewhat competitive in the coming years. There defence is already so solid. Reinhart and Lowe will log big minutes, Corbett may be able to step up offensively if given the chance.
Yeah I kind of agree and you could trade for him and then all of sudden lose him if the lockout ends, but I guess we could say that about Reinhart also. I wouldn't mind us going after Musil though.

Old
09-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
You're probably right.

Commonly in baseball, pitchers in the minors will have awful statistical seasons because their organizations are teaching them new pitches that their colleges never taught them. It's all a learning process. Gotta try new things

Old
09-28-2012, 06:11 PM
PumpkinBomb

For those fans who are wondering if the oil kings will go after any big name players:

They may try but from what I've heard they are putting in a bid to host the mem cup in 2016, which means they likely aren't willing to mortgage the future for that. (my source is that my family are oil kings founders club and were told that the OK were submitting the bid. They were told this as incentive to renew for another 3 years. )

So if you're wondering why McNeil, Murray etc get traded to another team besides the kings this is likely one of the reasons.

Old
09-28-2012, 07:24 PM
monkeywrench

I am going to miss tonights game sadly, but with Corbett gone do you think Mayo gets back in

Old
09-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

2-1 Calgary after two periods. Hopefully, Calgary based teams don't pull a double-whammy on us tonight. Sigh.

Old
09-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
2-1 Calgary after two periods. Hopefully, Calgary based teams don't pull a double-whammy on us tonight. Sigh.
Watching on WHL Live. Oil kings are very flat. They showed some jump in the 2nd but simply not a good effort tonight.

Calgary is playing very good defense tonight.

Old
09-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

^^^

Yup. 4-1 final for the Hitmen. The 'Kings put forth a brutal effort tonight.

Old
09-28-2012, 11:22 PM
40oz

Closer game than the game score indicates, foster had a great goal, Samuelson needs work defensively and Rexall beers still work. That pretty much sums up my report.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:35 AM
I am the Liquor

Oil Kings got slapped around by a very good Calgary team tonight.

Calgary has a big tough team whose defense is very difficult to penetrate. Add in stellar goaltending by Chris Driedger and good scoring punch up front and this is a team that will challenge for the division title.

Edmonton was short handed on the back end as Keegan Lowe was injured in the Lethbridge game and Cody Corbett was selected to go to the American Prospect camp. Dyson Mayo drew in as well as Aaron Irving who was called up from Lloydminster. Irving was overwhelmed and took some bad penalties. He just isnt ready for this level yet.

As I expected Mitch Moroz was demoted to the grind line with Ewanyk and Wilson sometime in the second. Stephane Legault will be next when Wruck returns in October.

Was very impressed by 96' born Jake Virtanen. This kid is solid. He handled, and I mean handled Griffin Reinhart in one heated exchange. Literally rag dolled the much older and bigger Reinhart. Not a fight, but a big hit followed by pushing and what not but I lost count how many times Virtanen knocked Griffin to the ice. He's got some offensive talent to boot. At 6'1" 190lbs this kid is one to watch and hope for in 2014 at the draft.

Missing Lowe, Corbett and Gernat is not good for the Oil Kings. I bet they are regretting cutting Ryan Dech about now. Dech has committed to the University of Regina. Depending on how badly Lowe is injured, they may be forced to make a move for a dman sooner rather than later.

Next up for the Oil Kings is Mark McNiell and the Prince Albert Raiders next Thursday night at Rexall.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:37 AM
tiger_80

Quote:

Calgary has a big tough team whose defense is very difficult to penetrate. Add in stellar goaltending by Chris Driedger and good scoring punch up front and this is a team that will challenge for the division title.

Edmonton was short handed on the back end as Keegan Lowe was injured in the Lethbridge game and Cody Corbett was selected to go to the American Prospect camp. Dyson Mayo drew in as well as Aaron Irving who was called up from Lloydminster. Irving was overwhelmed and took some bad penalties. He just isnt ready for this level yet.

As I expected Mitch Moroz was demoted to the grind line with Ewanyk and Wilson sometime in the second. Stephane Legault will be next when Wruck returns in October.

Was very impressed by 96' born Jake Virtanen. This kid is solid. He handled, and I mean handled Griffin Reinhart in one heated exchange. Literally rag dolled the much older and bigger Reinhart. Not a fight, but a big hit followed by pushing and what not but I lost count how many times Virtanen knocked Griffin to the ice. He's got some offensive talent to boot. At 6'1" 190lbs this kid is one to watch and hope for in 2014 at the draft.

Missing Lowe, Corbett and Gernat is not good for the Oil Kings. I bet they are regretting cutting Ryan Dech about now. Dech has committed to the University of Regina. Depending on how badly Lowe is injured, they may be forced to make a move for a dman sooner rather than later.

Next up for the Oil Kings is Mark McNiell and the Prince Albert Raiders next Thursday night at Rexall.

Is Gernat gone for the year?

Old
09-29-2012, 12:43 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Is Gernat gone for the year?
No idea, but I would guess he may be back for the playoffs, and he may not be back at all. I guess it all depends on how rehab goes etc. There hasnt been a lot of information available unfortunately.

I think its safe to say he wont be back for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 09-29-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old
09-29-2012, 04:27 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

Thanks for the summary. How did Moroz do in his new role? I see that he got a double roughing minor, was he playing a more chippy style of game? As for that kid manhandling Reinhart, if he knows how to drop 'em it sounds like he might be a nice addition to our system down the road.

Old
09-29-2012, 04:32 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
For those fans who are wondering if the oil kings will go after any big name players:

They may try but from what I've heard they are putting in a bid to host the mem cup in 2016, which means they likely aren't willing to mortgage the future for that. (my source is that my family are oil kings founders club and were told that the OK were submitting the bid. They were told this as incentive to renew for another 3 years. )

So if you're wondering why McNeil, Murray etc get traded to another team besides the kings this is likely one of the reasons.
I would absolutely love a Mem Cup in Edmonton, but it's pretty tough to secure the bid unless the Katz Palace is in place by 2016, since they need to secure a building for a week. If the Oilers are still in Edmonton and in the playoffs, they'd need some arena time.

Red Deer is long overdue for hosting the Mem Cup. I thought they should have got it for this year.

Also, no to a Murray trade. The Oil Kings definitely need a 19/20 year old dman if Gernat and Lowe are out for a bit, but they should grab a much cheaper option than Murray.

Closed Thread