HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What can Jets fans expect out of Jokinen?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-26-2012, 07:32 PM
  #1
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
What can Jets fans expect out of Jokinen?

Other than Mcdonalds references and good photoshops? I think he will play between Kane and Wellwood. The Ladd-Little-Wheeler line has good chemistry so I don't think they will be broken up. That would give us a pretty equally talented top 6.

I notice he doesn't play much PK, which sucks because we could improve there.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 07:43 PM
  #2
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,580
vCash: 300
Frustration, inconsistency, and a lot of "he can be so much better than this"

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 07:44 PM
  #3
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,880
vCash: 57
When he was younger he was a good pker but he has lost that ability, He is a pretty good 2-way player and isn't afraid to go to the net and still has a good shot. If he is paired with Kane (Iginla 2.0) he should know how to play with him and should be able to give you a solid 20-40 season.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 07:44 PM
  #4
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Other than Mcdonalds references and good photoshops? I think he will play between Kane and Wellwood. The Ladd-Little-Wheeler line has good chemistry so I don't think they will be broken up. That would give us a pretty equally talented top 6.

I notice he doesn't play much PK, which sucks because we could improve there.
He was always undervalued by Calgary fans and the media. He's a great player. He's not what he once was in a huge performer; I think he's good for 55-70 a season.
He works relatively hard, has an okay two way game... Really an optimal second line center. He's only so-so in the dot... Dunno, he's a good player, I know a lot of fans wanted to keep him. I think in Calgary he was just a casualty of the changing times more than anything.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 07:46 PM
  #5
Ynnek
Registered User
 
Ynnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Frustration, inconsistency, and a lot of "he can be so much better than this"
The exact opposite of this is what you can expect. He was forced to play a role here not suited for him and did a great job. He was the best player on the team for alot of the season IMO.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 07:52 PM
  #6
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Frustration, inconsistency, and a lot of "he can be so much better than this"
I would agree with this. The equation is roughly equal to...

For every "**** yes, Jokinen!!!" moment you will have, you will have another three "what the **** are you doing Jokinen!!!" moments.

He is at the point in his career where he no longer excels in one particular aspect of the game, and because of this he is nothing more than a complimentary to good second line center.

His biggest asset is probably playing the half-wall on the PP and using his slapshot to either score or create a rebound in front.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 08:05 PM
  #7
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Expect to set a franchise record for posts and cross bars hit.

When Jokinen is on, he's a fantastic player. He'll score, he'll make plays, he'll defend. Apparently this is fueled by Big Macs.

But when he's off. Oh god. He's the king of swooping. He'll come in on the forecheck with a big, wide swoop, do absolutely nothing, and take himself out of the play for no reason. He'd look completely uninterested.

Unfortunately for the Flames, Jokinen was off for the last 2 months of the season.

I expect 45-55 points on the Jets and a -10 rating. Which, really, is not terrible, but you can't count on him to be a top 6 centre 82 games a season. The Flames had no option but to give him big minutes every game.

He really is the biggest love/hate player I've known.


Last edited by Ashasx: 08-26-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 08:18 PM
  #8
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
His biggest asset is probably playing the half-wall on the PP and using his slapshot to either score or create a rebound in front.
That is what we need badly. Almost all of our forwards use wrist shots. A lot of them can't even do one-timers. We have a few players with good one timers but they're all on the blue line. Are his slappers real one-timers or does he have to calm the puck first?

I would prefer Jokinen to be matched with Kane and Wheeler, our two fastest players. Kane on the same line as Wellwood seems like a joke to me. Although Wellwood is a great setup guy.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 08:21 PM
  #9
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
I can't recall Jokinen ever taking a one timer. He'd just settle it down and wait for traffic, then rip it toward the net.

Example: first goal here


Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 08:23 PM
  #10
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,252
vCash: 500
He's no faceoff specialist either that's for sure. But he tries, just lacks vision so he doesn't always make use of his line mates as effectively. But he has size and physical tools to put up 40-60 points.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 08:50 PM
  #11
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,946
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Other than Mcdonalds references and good photoshops? I think he will play between Kane and Wellwood. The Ladd-Little-Wheeler line has good chemistry so I don't think they will be broken up. That would give us a pretty equally talented top 6.

I notice he doesn't play much PK, which sucks because we could improve there.
I'd he plays your PK it won't improve. His defensive game improved from non-existent prior to last season to "he has one now" last season.

He needs to be the talented player on his line - he played best with Moss and Glencross, neither of whom are offensively gifted and both of whom need to work very hard for points.

He will be a decent player for you though as a 2nd line centre.

He will also bring turkey girl.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 08:50 PM
  #12
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
He's no faceoff specialist either that's for sure.
Not a huge concern, we have Slater who is our defensive zone specialist, and Little is pretty decent.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 08:53 PM
  #13
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,580
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Not a huge concern, we have Slater who is our defensive zone specialist, and Little is pretty decent.
Then he should thrive. Jokinen's entire time here in Calgary was where our best faceoff guy was Iginla. Let that sink in.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 09:06 PM
  #14
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,933
vCash: 355
A 1B center, good at both ends of the ice capable of 60 points, more likely 50.

Flames were fools to let him walk.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 09:32 PM
  #15
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,780
vCash: 500
Jokinen, he was probably my favorite Flame last season and our most consistent forward until he suffered an injury late in the season. He is also the main reason that I was a fan of Brent Sutter.

Before Brent Sutter, Jokinen was the definition of a lost player. His game had to diminished to the point that he could no longer rely on his size and shot to get by. The holes in his game were exposed and he was a borderline top 6 player. Under Sutter, he learned how to play a 2-way game and he learned how to be a team player and the transformation was remarkable. He started to play a game that started in his own end, which then led to generating some pretty frequent offensive chances. He basically learned a different game which is very impressive considering his age.

I don't know what exactly you can expect from Joker next season. I think most of it will be contingent on how he fits in with the coaches system. At this point, I'd say for at least the next two seasons that Jokinen is capable of providing a strong 2-way game and contributing at least 45-50pts (60 being his ceiling). His strengths are his big body, he has above average speed and he carries the puck in the offensive zone quite well. His weaknesses are that at times he doesn't use his linemates properly, and he frequently takes many low percentage shots which can extremely frustrating. He is also not great on the dot.

I would of been more than fine to keep him (especially on a 2yr deal), however I understand the decision to go in a different direction. Jokinen made me a fan and I truly wish him all the best. Idk that pairing him with Kane is ideal either, he was mostly a poor match with Iginla all in all. I think a line of Wellwood, Jokinen and Wheeler could definitely make some noise.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 09:38 PM
  #16
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
A 1B center, good at both ends of the ice capable of 60 points, more likely 50.

Flames were fools to let him walk.
Im quite happy we let him walk

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 09:57 PM
  #17
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty
 
3rdEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CoRD's house
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,729
vCash: 500
Expect to see quite a bit of this:


3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:00 AM
  #18
FlamingTelepath
Registered User
 
FlamingTelepath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 450
vCash: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Expect to set a franchise record for posts and cross bars hit.

When Jokinen is on, he's a fantastic player. He'll score, he'll make plays, he'll defend. Apparently this is fueled by Big Macs.

But when he's off. Oh god. He's the king of swooping. He'll come in on the forecheck with a big, wide swoop, do absolutely nothing, and take himself out of the play for no reason. He'd look completely uninterested.
This is pretty accurate. Nevertheless I'd say he's a very good 2nd line center and I wanted the Flames to re-sign him. You'll like him in Winnipeg.

He's also one of the best in the league in single-handedly bringing the puck from his own end to the opponent's during a PP. I know that's a bit of a random observation but I noticed it a lot during the last two seasons.

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:02 PM
  #19
kirant
Kiprusoffarian
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
My notebook on Jokinen:
- He's successfully changed from a first line scoring talent to a two-way centre. He plays both ends well. Sometimes looks lost defensively if a player on the blueline moves too fast for him to recognize the play.
- That said, he's still offensively driven more than defensively. I'd define him as a top 6 or bust type of player as you'd want someone with better shutdown talent on a 3rd line. My expectation is that he'll be a 2nd line, 2nd PP type of forward.
- More natural at scoring over playmaking. Sometimes, he'll suffer from "tunnel vision" and seemingly fail to notice that he has two guys helping.
- Streaky player. Can be god on ice one night, invisible the next
- Good speed. Gets from point A to point B in decent time
- Can be creative. Watch his shootout moves as he tries lots of different things
- Good hands as can also be witnessed in shootouts. Also likes to try to change his speed to throw the goalie off (builds up speed before getting the puck or starts at a crawl and speeds up)
- Likes to carry the puck and it does well. Can be a real bonus to a team if they struggle getting the puck in during a PP.
- Big. He can protect the puck decently
- When he's off, he'll try things no sane player would ever do, such as dance through guys despite there being no room to or swing around on a forecheck with no chance of pressuring anybody.
- Late season drive is questionable. The first time he was here, he looked worse as the playoffs approached. During the last late season drive, he vanished after dominating for a while, though this may be due to injury.
- Poor faceoffs. Too late to convert him to a winger as well.

I'd expect him to be a 45-55 point player.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:51 PM
  #20
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
swing around on a forecheck with no chance of pressuring anybody.
That just drives me nuts. The Jets already have issues with that, especially on the PK. Example at 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiBv1c3nOLw

Thankfully we don't have Glass any more.

I notice from clips Jokinen has a real nice snapshot that really seems to surprise you. He shoots from some weird angles catching the goalies off guard.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:32 PM
  #21
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Jokinen, he was probably my favorite Flame last season and our most consistent forward until he suffered an injury late in the season. He is also the main reason that I was a fan of Brent Sutter.

Before Brent Sutter, Jokinen was the definition of a lost player. His game had to diminished to the point that he could no longer rely on his size and shot to get by. The holes in his game were exposed and he was a borderline top 6 player. Under Sutter, he learned how to play a 2-way game and he learned how to be a team player and the transformation was remarkable. He started to play a game that started in his own end, which then led to generating some pretty frequent offensive chances. He basically learned a different game which is very impressive considering his age.

I don't know what exactly you can expect from Joker next season. I think most of it will be contingent on how he fits in with the coaches system. At this point, I'd say for at least the next two seasons that Jokinen is capable of providing a strong 2-way game and contributing at least 45-50pts (60 being his ceiling). His strengths are his big body, he has above average speed and he carries the puck in the offensive zone quite well. His weaknesses are that at times he doesn't use his linemates properly, and he frequently takes many low percentage shots which can extremely frustrating. He is also not great on the dot.

I would of been more than fine to keep him (especially on a 2yr deal), however I understand the decision to go in a different direction. Jokinen made me a fan and I truly wish him all the best. Idk that pairing him with Kane is ideal either, he was mostly a poor match with Iginla all in all. I think a line of Wellwood, Jokinen and Wheeler could definitely make some noise.
This sums up my thoughts about Jokinen too. I'd add that Jokinen was a leader and very vocal person with the media if asked. A gentlemen player that won't make dirty or selfish plays either. His season last year really forced me to think highly of him because of the strides he made in his game and the results showed in both corsi, points, and ice time. From all the players we re-signed, I would've prefered to keep Jokinen over them all.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:49 PM
  #22
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
I think Jokinen is going to decline heavily in these next few seasons, so I'm glad we didn't overpay for him.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:01 PM
  #23
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,780
vCash: 500
I also agree with MarkGio. There were times last season that I thought Jokinen was acting like a better leader than Iginla. Barnaby is a idiot, Jokinen is a fantastic, Bigmac eating teammate.

My favorite all-time Jokinen moment will always be in a preseason game against the Nucks, the game went to a shootout and from in close Jokinen unleashed a canon right at Loungo. The expression on Lou's face was priceless.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:05 PM
  #24
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Be sure Jokinen eats lots of Big Macs.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:43 PM
  #25
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,019
vCash: 50
He works hard, but he's defensively average. Offensively his value is primarily as a shooter. Passing ability is okay, but his vision is lacking. He should be a reasonably effective 2nd line C for the Jets

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.