HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
09-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Lobotomizer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
I find it so bizarre to read posts like this. 'Hopefully'? The Oilers still hold the kid's rights. Why would you hope for him to fail? Personally, I hope he goes on a tear and outpoints guys like Nash and Couture in the Swiss league and entices some team to give us a 2nd or 3rd rounder for his rights.
You are correct - Omark needs to light it up and make sure that we can ditch him to some team for a "high" draft pick.

Lobotomizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:12 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
I find it so bizarre to read posts like this. 'Hopefully'? The Oilers still hold the kid's rights. Why would you hope for him to fail? Personally, I hope he goes on a tear and outpoints guys like Nash and Couture in the Swiss league and entices some team to give us a 2nd or 3rd rounder for his rights.
the only way we would get a high draft pick for him if it was a conditional pick based upon how many pts he got back in the NHL. I personally believe the rumours that the oilers tried to trade him at the draft but found no takers

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
the only way we would get a high draft pick for him if it was a conditional pick based upon how many pts he got back in the NHL. I personally believe the rumours that the oilers tried to trade him at the draft but found no takers
Bag of pucks and a practice net is all we'll get...

Old
10-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Because the longer he 'lingers' the longer people are going to grossly over estimate him and his abilities.

I wish him the best for a long career, but that's not going to happen in NA, because there would need to be interest for that. Dominating a Swiss league isn't going to do that, see Patrick Thoresen.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:17 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
Bag of pucks and a practice net is all we'll get...
Well, as long as you guys are all so sure, then ... hooray?

Hey, I've got about 10 grand in this one stock that's just an absolute dog. The first year it was in my portfolio it was pretty good -- overvalued, but most folks thought it had decent upside for the cost -- but last year it just crashed and lost well over half of its value. I really wish I'd sold it back when it still had decent value, but nowadays, boy, I'm just hoping REAL HARD it goes all the way to zero. I just figure that's the smart play.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Well, as long as you guys are all so sure, then ... hooray?

Hey, I've got about 10 grand in this one stock that's just an absolute dog. The first year it was in my portfolio it was pretty good -- overvalued, but most folks thought it had decent upside for the cost -- but last year it just crashed and lost well over half of its value. I really wish I'd sold it back when it still had decent value, but nowadays, boy, I'm just hoping REAL HARD it goes all the way to zero. I just figure that's the smart play.
And yet to all the other investors your stock had no value...

Old
10-01-2012, 02:30 AM
Hitchslap

vCash: 1600
I hope Omark gets another shot in the NHL. I believe there is an off chance he could step up his game and succeed in the big league, but at the same time I wouldn't want to see him on the Oilers starting roster. The worst thing holding him back is his skating though IMO, and I don't see that changing.

I don't think he's nearly as bad a player as some on here make it seem.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:56 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 344
Quote:
Outpointing Nash and Couture means very little during a lockout and GM's know this.

Those guys are going over just to play to keep in shape. They aren't going there giving 100% trying to make a name for themselves.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:00 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Outpointing Nash and Couture means very little during a lockout and GM's know this.

Those guys are going over just to play to keep in shape. They aren't going there giving 100% trying to make a name for themselves.
I don't know that that's fair. It's competitive hockey and NHLers are the most competitive players in the world. You think they're out there coasting, just getting a skate in? You think they want to be shown up and outplayed by a bunch of Euro league nobodies?

Old
10-01-2012, 11:09 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I don't know that that's fair. It's competitive hockey and NHLers are the most competitive players in the world. You think they're out there coasting, just getting a skate in? You think they want to be shown up and outplayed by a bunch of Euro league nobodies?
Maybe not coasting but I'll guarantee that the majority aren't given their full efforts that they'd be giving if they were playing in the NHL.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:21 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Maybe not coasting but I'll guarantee that the majority aren't given their full efforts that they'd be giving if they were playing in the NHL.
Well, sure. We all raise our game according to the level of competition. That's natural. But I still say that if Omark can show as well as other NHLers over there, it'll increase his value. For example, if he really finds some great chemistry with Brunner this season, maybe Detroit throws us a pick for the guy.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Seems like the first thing that always gets mention is that Omark is lighting it up in a lesser level of play. 7pts in 6GP.

First thing I notice is he's -2. Which means he's still giving up more than he gets in sub AHL level of play. Which hints that some things stay the same.

Think how hard it would be for a player to even be -2 with 7pts in 6 games meaning 2 more EV events happened against then for despite him having a lot of pts.

Are a lot of these pts on the PP? That might make it more explainable but still.

The other interesting thing of note is that a guy named Damien Brunner, never drafted, never thought of, that would never play anywhere on this continent or be suited for it is ahead of Omark, reportedly on the same line, but is somehow +2. A further look reveals Damien to always be a + player and probably fairly good at all round play. Same age. Which tells a little how many light years Omark is behind even a guy like this that never had a chance at the show and never will.

Its a little sad.

Last edited by Replacement: 10-01-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
How many Canadian NHLers have ever busted their back playing in Europe? What would be the motivation to do so.

There'd be a few reasons for a Canadian NHLer to go to Europe.

1)Get a paycheck

2)Stay in some kind of playing shape.

3)Bring the family to a cheap expenses paid Euro vacation, see the sights.

4)Or if single look for beautiful euro puck bunnies, see the sights..

The kind of NHL player that would take this level of play seriously would be the offensively challenged wonderkids like Shawn Horcoff trying to buy some confidence in a very substandard game. Most NHLers certainly aren't even trying to establish themselves overseas. Only the ones desperate to improve their game or prove something.

The only time Europlay matters to the average Canadian is if the're wearing a maple leaf. Then it matters.

You're off on this one.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:42 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
How many Canadian NHLers have ever busted their back playing in Europe? What would be the motivation to do so.

1)Get a paycheck

I look at a guy like Seguin and think it's quite the amazing experience for him. Not sure if he is single, married, divorced or what, but to go to another country at such a young age and experience a different culture while getting paid to do so is the cats ass.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I look at a guy like Seguin and think it's quite the amazing experience for him. Not sure if he is single, married, divorced or what, but to go to another country at such a young age and experience a different culture while getting paid to do so is the cats ass.
Oh for sure. You'd almost be cheering the lockout while enjoying the suds. I never mentioned beer, lol.

But yeah, if I'm a young good Canadian hockey player I'm considering this an extended Euro vacation and a real nice experience. But I might not be adopting the best lifestyle, getting a lot of rest and sleep and such. I'd be seeing the sights and breaking curfew..

Old
10-01-2012, 11:59 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
The other interesting thing of note is that a guy named Damien Brunner, never drafted, never thought of, that would never play anywhere on this continent or be suited for it is ahead of Omark, reportedly on the same line, but is somehow +2. A further look reveals Damien to always be a + player and probably fairly good at all round play. Same age. Which tells a little how many light years Omark is behind even a guy like this that never had a chance at the show and never will.

Its a little sad.
Brunner led the Swiss league in scoring last year and has been signed by Detroit. Babcock sees him as a possible top-6 NHLer. But what do they know about hockey, I guess.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....babcock_h.html

Old
10-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Brunner led the Swiss league in scoring last year and has been signed by Detroit. Babcock sees him as a possible top-6 NHLer. But what do they know about hockey, I guess.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....babcock_h.html
Well, honestly I dunno. Better option than Hudler? Someones dreaming.

My take on this is Babcock is beyond best due date and has been showing mileage for a longtime. Hey it happens to everybody and to some pretty smart hockey minds. It happened to no less than Sather here who had questionable ability to properly assess players by the time he left here. I look at it as over investment, getting tired, essentially burn out. If you stay in one place long enough and had success you can hit a much greater rut as people around you tend to still view you as great.

I'll take a pass on what Babcock is hoping although he's even acknowledging:

Quote:
“Can he adjust and play the North American game? We’re going to give him every opportunity. He’ll be a top-six forward to start with us and see where he goes with us.'
Again I dunno, is Detroit now in cheap fill mode?

EVen if Brunner manages to become a reasonable NHL player and come out of former obscurity it tells you a lot about how Omarks prospects have sank. One player never got drafted at any round, never even thought of, and another is a 4th pick but sinking and getting older.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:30 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:

1)Get a paycheck

The kind of NHL player that would take this level of play seriously would be the offensively challenged wonderkids like Shawn Horcoff trying to buy some confidence in a very substandard game. Most NHLers certainly aren't even trying to establish themselves overseas. Only the ones desperate to improve their game or prove something.

The only time Europlay matters to the average Canadian is if the're wearing a maple leaf. Then it matters.

You're off on this one.
1989-90 Asiago HC Italy 42 74 61 135 29

cliff ronning says hello there girl

Old
10-01-2012, 12:45 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
1989-90 Asiago HC Italy 42 74 61 135 29

cliff ronning says hello there girl
Ronning wasn't an everyday NHLer at that point was he?

Old
10-01-2012, 12:48 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Ronning wasn't an everyday NHLer at that point was he?
he went to europe and came back the player we knew

this was my response to the theory Canadians do not try hard enough in europe

Old
10-01-2012, 12:51 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

Not saying they go out there and do nothing, just saying that if Omark or Brunner do better than Nash I'm not going to be all excited that Omark is now a NHLer.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Outliers don't disprove a theory.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Krigaren*

Quote:

Its a little sad.
What about it is sad? I think i dont understand anything. The fact that he gets signed with the wings? That the wings go out and say they have faith in him? That they will give him every oppertunity to succed?

Its a bit difrent than to say "uh isnt that kid a bit to small to play in the nhl?" like some teams say about their prospects :p
Thats a bit sad if you ask me..

Zug had a few games were they got really blewout. Cant watch the games so i dont know who is to blame, if Omark is - at the end of the season you have a point. Untill then i suggest you read up on euro hockey.. apperently thats where the best competetive hockey is played these days..

Krigaren* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
What about it is sad? I think i dont understand anything. The fact that he gets signed with the wings? That the wings go out and say they have faith in him? That they will give him every oppertunity to succed?
its sad for Omark that a player like Brunner is now likely passing him by. This being indication of how little Omarks game has developed or how little he has honed that game and supplemented it with some all round sensibility.

Quote:
Its a bit difrent than to say "uh isnt that kid a bit to small to play in the nhl?" like some teams say about their prospects :p
Thats a bit sad if you ask me..
When I read Brunner was 176lbs and 26yrs old my first instinct is to say he'll never play in the NHL. He could have a tough time of it.

Quote:
Zug had a few games were they got really blewout. Cant watch the games so i dont know who is to blame, if Omark is - at the end of the season you have a point. Untill then i suggest you read up on euro hockey.. apperently thats where the best competetive hockey is played these days..
afairc Omark has been a + player once in his life. Lulea must have been a powerhouse that year.

The bolded part is funny. Although I'll note you're saying "these days" but I'd still five the nod to the AHL. We can compare lineup of Oklahoma if you want.

Old
10-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Krigaren*

Quote:
The bolded part is funny. Although I'll note you're saying "these days" but I'd still five the nod to the AHL. We can compare lineup of Oklahoma if you want.
Whats most sad is that your making posts about players that will never have the chance to play in the nhl while clearly the wings belive in them. You could just have said thats your misstake.
Instead you want to ramble about how that player surpassed Omark, hey if he has thats all good for him. I think they both have a good year in the league.

And yea okc has a descent lineup. But its not even the quality of a bottom nhl team..
I mean i understand its exciting for you guys to have Eberle, Rnh, Mps, Lander etc down there but if you think thats somehow the best hockey in the world id think your crazy..
KHL is right now the best league in the world. You can knock on europe all day, but untill there is nhl hockey again (wich hopefully is sooner rather than later, but looks like it can take a while) the best league in the world is in the KHL.

Krigaren* is offline   Reply With Quote