HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[OTT] Kyle Turris signs 5-year extension [$3.5M per]

Old
08-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
That's still yet to be seen. There are countless examples of a player being traded and excelling on a new team for good. There are also countless examples of a player being traded and excelling on a new team...until he gets that new contract from said team.

Dany Heatley is still a complete *******, regardless of his play here. The difference between Heatley and Turris is that Heatley's attitude didn't effect his play on the ice. He was contributing regardless of his feelings toward the Ottawa organization.

Turris did a complete 180 as soon as he left Phoenix. He didn't want to be there and his play on the ice showed that. And as soon as he was out of Phoenix, the effort he put forth in the games improved drastically.

Paying 3.5 for a 20-30 point player would be awful. It's not crippling, but it's still not something you want on your team.
He's already been a 29 point player in 49 games.

Why would his play get worse?

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:08 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Re. Turris not ever producing consistently - he was also frequently given bottom-6 duties with the Coyotes, from my understanding. In Ottawa he's playing a scoring role, which is what his game is suited to. It's pretty reasonable to think he'll do better offensively in Ottawa than he had in Phoenix, and that last season is perhaps a better indication of his ability than his career statistics for this reason.

08-29-2012, 02:11 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
A fair deal for both sides, IMO. There are still a lot of question marks around Turris but at $3.5 million Ottawa has limited its risk somewhat but in return needed to give a 5 year deal. On Turris' side he gets some long term security and gives up some salary if he improves. Based on what he's done to date, the salary seems a little high but Ottawa can afford to take the relatively low risk that he will continue to improve.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:12 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post

Not every player follows a linear development path.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
A fair deal for both sides, IMO. There are still a lot of question marks around Turris but at $3.5 million Ottawa has limited its risk somewhat but in return needed to give a 5 year deal. On Turris' side he gets some long term security and gives up some salary if he improves. Based on what he's done to date, the salary seems a little high but Ottawa can afford to take the relatively low risk that he will continue to improve.
Get out of here.

Common sense and rational well thought out opinions are NOT ALLOWED in this thread.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:13 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Re. Turris not ever producing consistently - he was also frequently given bottom-6 duties with the Coyotes, from my understanding. In Ottawa he's playing a scoring role, which is what his game is suited to. It's pretty reasonable to think he'll do better offensively in Ottawa than he had in Phoenix, and that last season is perhaps a better indication of his ability than his career statistics for this reason.
He was given bottom 6 minutes yes, but there really is no such thing as a traditional bottom 6 - top 6 relationship here.

A better argument you should use is the quality of his line mates while in PHX

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Thanks, but to suggest that as a likely case doesn't really make sense. If we're going by that logic than we can insert any young player just about to get off of his ELC deal that way.

I think those that see Turris enough know that him becoming WORSE offensively isn't really a realistic scenario, considering he put up a 0.6 PPG while being the best defensive center on the team and also being the most snake bitten one.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:15 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Turris has been so far in his career

2009-2010 - 20 points
2010-2011 - 25 points
2011 - 2012 - 29 points

If he follows the same path he should put up 33-34 points next year.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:

The same reason why countless other players get worse after getting a new contract: Complacency.

Look no further than Samsonov. Went from team to team for a while, didn't produce. 30 points in the 86 games before being grabbed by Carolina. 32 points in the 38 games he played for them that year.

He signs a new contract with Carolina, doesn't produce nearly the same. 103 points over the length of that 3 year contract. Then he gets traded to Florida and does the same thing as before: 14 points in the 20 games with them.

I'm not saying it's going to happen or even that it's likely in this situation with regards to Turris, but it's a possibility.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:18 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Get out of here.

Common sense and rational well thought out opinions are NOT ALLOWED in this thread.
LOL!
Actually the more I think about it, the more I like this deal for Ottawa. Based on his play since signing with the Sens I think this could prove to be a very good deal for them. $3.5 million doesn't get you much these days. Worst case I think he earns his salary. Best case he becomes a pretty underpaid player. I always think it's a good news story when a player that many have written off manages to find his game somewhere else. I thought Turris looked like a different player for the Sens as compared to the Coyotes.

Old
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
The same reason why countless other players get worse after getting a new contract: Complacency.

Look no further than Samsonov. Went from team to team for a while, didn't produce. 30 points in the 86 games before being grabbed by Carolina. 32 points in the 38 games he played for them that year.

He signs a new contract with Carolina, doesn't produce nearly the same. 103 points over the length of that 3 year contract. Then he gets traded to Florida and does the same thing as before: 14 points in the 20 games with them.

I'm not saying it's going to happen or even that it's likely in this situation with regards to Turris, but it's a possibility.
Of course it is, I certainly don't disagree. It's a possibility for any player that is still in the midst of developing but hasn't completely broken out yet.

But like you said, I just don't see it happening considering how he probably could of had 35 points in those games if he wasn't the most snake-bitten player on the Senators for awhile.

Old
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:

You just have to look at the deal from the defensive standpoint and treat any offensive progression as a bonus.

Last season Turris was the Senators' best defensive center and his line was used by 'Stache most often against the best players of the other team (though some of the reason behind that was that Alfie was on his line)

$3.5mil per is about what good defensive centers get on the open market. Considering the last two years of the deal are buying out UFA years, this deal is a slight overpayment only if he doesn't progress in his offensive development at all.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

He had 29pts in 49 games with Ottawa... Even right now 3.500 is a good deal. He was on a 49 point pace and made others around him better.
His defensive abilities have surprised me in a good way, and 3.500 for a solid 2nd line Center who will likely put up Sam Gagner type numbers is a great deal IMO.

Note: he could also easily get better and makr this a "steal" as others are calling it.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Why must we eternally compare this man to Sam Gagner?

Old
08-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Proust

It's a very smart deal for the Senators, and keep in mind that I am highly critical of Murray when it comes to contracts.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:29 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
If his overall performance improves by 15% over the next 2 seasons, it's a steal.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post

2009-2010 - 20 points
2010-2011 - 25 points
2011 - 2012 - 29 points

And his PPG was .6 with Ottawa. So if he follows the same path he will put up 48 points. Stop trying to make the stats support your argument by omitting certain stats that make Turris look better.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
I like it. He gives us a solid 1-2 punch up the middle for years. Also keep in mind Spezza was actually healthy this year so he could see more ice time in the future.

Last edited by Altimus: 08-29-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:30 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I'm not sure what people expect for 3.5 million these days.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:30 PM
vanwest

The fact that he plays a strong defensive game also lowers the risk for Ottawa. That makes Turris a pretty flexible player who does not need to be slotted into the top 6 if the offence doesn't continue to improve.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:32 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I'm not sure what people expect for 3.5 million these days.
I know what you mean. I'm finding it hard to get by on that amount.
Seriously though, $3.5 million doesn't get much these days for a decent hockey player.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:32 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Not only was Turris our best defensive center but out of every forward on the team, he had the highest QoC.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:33 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I know what you mean. I'm finding it hard to get by on that amount.
Seriosly though, $3.5 million doesn't get much these days for a decent hockey player.
You and me both, brother!

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:38 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbe View Post

Looks like he has added some weight, nice!
He wasnt even close to that big when he was playing last year, look at those forearms cant wait for him to light up Lundqvist again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1gNN...eature=related

Its a decent deal as long as he continues to improve and get stronger. Potential steal a couple years down the line. He has a ton of talent thats for sure.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:41 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post

2009-2010 - 20 points
2010-2011 - 25 points
2011 - 2012 - 29 points

Horrible logic. Didn't factor in playing time or games played?

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote