HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kyle Turris

Old
10-24-2013, 04:45 PM
derriko

vCash: 500
Spezza is on pace for 100 points, 70 goals lol, and Turris 70 points.

That's cray cray for even the small sample size. I would be very happy if they continued at 80% of this pace which is about expectations IMO. (80 and 56 points)

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I assume you are only going by points since Turris is better than both Spezza & Ryan defensively. I'm also not so sure that Spezza always plays against the other team's best defensive unit, they often line up top line against top line. Turris plays a 200' game while the other two are still wondering where the defensive zone is that coaches keep talking about.
I think your prejudice is clouding your judgment (or you're not watching). Especially against Detroit Spezza has been very good defensively this year (minus one bad pinch, oh my!) He was hustling all game, skating back hard into the defensive zone and has been money on the penalty kill so far this year.

It's ok though, people can keep going with the fabrication that Spezza is a one-dimensional giveaway machine.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 05:55 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I think your prejudice is clouding your judgment (or you're not watching). Especially against Detroit Spezza has been very good defensively this year (minus one bad pinch, oh my!) He was hustling all game, skating back hard into the defensive zone and has been money on the penalty kill so far this year.

It's ok though, people can keep going with the fabrication that Spezza is a one-dimensional giveaway machine.
Or your enthousiasm for him is clouding yours. He did play well defensively against Detroit but up to that game I didn't think he had been playing as well defensively this yr. A number of people were complaning about him during the western road trip, remember? How the Turris line was becoming the defacto #1 line. I didn't buy that myself & we have seen him play well defensively in some games, he needs to be more consistent & I think he can be.

What does that mean money on the PK? What has he done on the PK to say he is money? I don't think it's frabication when it seems to be a well known fact, we've heard it all his career. I will say this, I think Greening & Michalek are a good fit with him because they are defensively responsible & both very fast skaters, they also make a formidable line with size.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 06:05 PM
SebFromHawk
Registered Loser

Turzza!

SebFromHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 06:09 PM
burf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post

Spezza's been outshot heavily all year despite getting very high o-zone starts, and he's been on the ice for more goals-against than any other Ottawa forward at 5v5 (He's been on for 7 goals against. Michalek is 2nd at 6, and then Condra, Smith, Neil, and Ryan at 4).

He makes up for it with his scoring, but you can't argue that he's been very good defensively this year. Hell, Detroit was probably his best game since Buffalo, and he still got killed in possession and Ferraro even highlighted some clear defensive miscues he made that led to scoring chances against.

Like I said earlier, his ability to score more than makes up for it, but it's really tough to pretend that Spez' has been a good defensive player this year.

burf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 06:11 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by burf View Post
Spezza's been outshot heavily all year despite getting very high o-zone starts, and he's been on the ice for more goals-against than any other Ottawa forward at 5v5 (He's been on for 7 goals against. Michalek is 2nd at 6, and then Condra, Smith, Neil, and Ryan at 4).

He makes up for it with his scoring, but you can't argue that he's been very good defensively this year. Hell, Detroit was probably his best game since Buffalo, and he still got killed in possession and Ferraro even highlighted some clear defensive miscues he made that led to scoring chances against.

Like I said earlier, his ability to score more than makes up for it, but it's really tough to pretend that Spez' has been a good defensive player this year.
Agreed. Spezza is putting in effort, he just doesn't execute well enough and tends to forget his defensive assignments.

10-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

11 points in 12 games.

He's for real.

Senscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:52 PM
MAK19

He's the bee's knees

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Magix

Let me start off by saying I love spezza.

But I really miss turris and zibanejad being our top 2 centers. I guess a game like tonight's really made me realize that.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:55 PM
DHins

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post

But I really miss him and zibanejad being our top 2 centers. I guess a game like tonight's really made me realize that.
I agree. I don't want to talk negatively about Spezza an I know he was just name captain and all, but I feel fine with Turris and Zib as our top 2 centres

DHins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHins View Post
I agree. I don't want to talk negatively about Spezza an I know he was just name captain and all, but I feel fine with Turris and Zib as our top 2 centres
I like Turris...but who else here remembers how downhill his season went when Spezza went down with injuries and he had to deal with the toughest assignments?

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:57 PM
MAK19

Quote:

But I really miss turris and zibanejad being our top 2 centers. I guess a game like tonight's really made me realize that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHins View Post

Old
10-30-2013, 12:00 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the God View Post
I like Turris...but who else here remembers how downhill his season went when Spezza went down with injuries and he had to deal with the toughest assignments?
?

Look at how downhill the season is going because Spezza is dealing with the tough assignments.

Turris went through a goal scoring slump. That's it. Looking at the season as a whole, he was the team's best defensive forward and he led the team in scoring. Therefore he was the best forward on the team and arguably the best skater.

The team that he was the best skater on made the playoffs.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Magix

Quote:
With a legit #1 winger like ryan, I don't think turris struggles as hard as he did in that stretch last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Saying that made me feel sick. But I would take the 200 ft simple game they played last season as opposed to the fast pace run and gun 2 years ago.

This might be blasphemes but look at boston when they traded thornton away and went with bergeron.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:04 AM
HSF

Turris would suffer if spezza wasn't here

He still gets pushed around easily still needs more strength

HSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Answer

Quote:
That ****ing made no sense. He was our best defensive forward and our best offensive forward. Due to that the team as a whole had a great year and we made the playoffs.

Turris is a 60pt player at most with an excellent 2-way play and he was on pace for that last year.

If Turris could score 80 point, then he will be in the elite class with Crosby's and Toew's and Datsyuk's, making 8mill, at least.

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Mika Zibanejad
Free the Oppressed

Turris will score 60-70 points this season, only if he plays against secondary defence , otherwise its not happening

Mika Zibanejad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Turris started the year with four goals in his first four games. He didn't score against Pittsburgh, and went 4G 5GP.

Spezza goes down. He goes on a 21 goal-drought. He scores three goals in three games and then goes 13 games without a goal. I realize everyone was struggling, but Turris wasn't great offensively at all. Not close to good enough for a #1 centre.

Turris is the perfect #2 centre. He's great defensively and awesome at scoring when he's not the focal point of other teams to shut down. Spezza has seven goals and is over a point per game playing with scrubs and the main focal point teams are trying to shut down. Turris is providing awesome secondary scoring. I don't get why we can't be happy with it the way it is now.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:26 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Saying that made me feel sick. But I would take the 200 ft simple game they played last season as opposed to the fast pace run and gun 2 years ago.

This might be blasphemes but look at boston when they traded thornton away and went with bergeron.
This. I'd rather win a game 1-0 than win 6-5.

Quote:
Turris started the year with four goals in his first four games. He didn't score against Pittsburgh, and went 4G 5GP.

Spezza goes down. He goes on a 21 goal-drought. He scores three goals in three games and then goes 13 games without a goal. I realize everyone was struggling, but Turris wasn't great offensively at all. Not close to good enough for a #1 centre.

Turris is the perfect #2 centre. He's great defensively and awesome at scoring when he's not the focal point of other teams to shut down. Spezza has seven goals and is over a point per game playing with scrubs and the main focal point teams are trying to shut down. Turris is providing awesome secondary scoring. I don't get why we can't be happy with it the way it is now.
Because the team is losing and looking awful. Like it or not, Spezza is part of the reason why.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Yost

Best forward on the team right now, not sure it's close.

Yost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:01 AM
Mika Zibanejad
Free the Oppressed

Quote:

THIS, All though i feel like were Rolling a 1A and 1B system for centers instead of a #1C and #2C which is perfect since we do have two number 1 centers

Mika Zibanejad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:17 AM
Benny FTW
Power Bottom

vCash: 50
Remember that last season was a more of a defensive system and he didn't have Ryan on his wing or Karlsson getting him the puck.

Spezza is just meh 5 on 5 this season. Turris's all around game is simply better imo.

According to behindthenet, Turris is playing tougher competition than Spezza this season.

I expect to be flamed for saying this.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:33 AM
Answer

If Spezza and Michalek and even Ryan was playing like Turris. We would be winning games 2-1 or 3-2

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:12 AM
ducky

Still have mixed feelings about Turris. He quit on the Coyotes. The fact Sens fans are lauding his sound 2 way game is proof Tippett was right.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

He's been good. Really good. He's doing very well in his current role, and MacArthur has been a perfect complement to him. Keeping Ryan on that line allows it to also be an offensive force and one of the best, if not the best, 2nd lines in the league.

Zibanejad played less time than Smith last year so I don't know why people are saying they miss when he was the #2 centre. Then again people have been ******** on Smith for the last 2 years so it's not really surprising.

Anyway our forwards are not the issue right now. Our defence has been awful.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote