HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

What type of hockey are Canadian TV Broadcasters allowed to show during lockout?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2012, 06:04 PM
  #1
Ziostilon
Registered User
 
Ziostilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 500
What type of hockey are Canadian TV Broadcasters allowed to show during lockout?

In Canada, your local Rogers Sportsnet is usually showing rookie camp games in early-mid September.
Mid-Late September, you've got TSN, HNIC, Sportsnet are showing pre-season games

Let's toss out Rookie camp games completely.

the AHL season doesn't start until mid-October, from what i can tell based on previous seasons.

What do you think these Canadian TV Broadcasters show during the most probable lockout?
Hockey is as popular as ever in Canada.

I personally hope they have already negotiated for the rights of KHL, Elitserien, NLA, SM-liiga games. Their games take place on average @ like 11am Eastern time zone.

Just tape delay the games, and dub the english commentary, air them at prime time in Canada.
Sportsnet can pickup the AHL club affiliate games, so for example Sportsnet Pacific can air all the Chicago Wolves games.

I cannot for the sake of me believe that TSN, HNIC will have basically dead air starting late September. At least Sportsnet will still have the World Series. NBA season starts after the NHL begins usually.

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:07 PM
  #2
SidGenoMario
Registered User
 
SidGenoMario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
There was dead air during the last lockout.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:14 PM
  #3
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,006
vCash: 500
CBC will probably show movies on Saturday night. TSN? I have no idea. Old games? I'd like to see some games from 2005-2007 regular season and playoffs.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:15 PM
  #4
Ziostilon
Registered User
 
Ziostilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
There was dead air during the last lockout.
the media is always saying hockey is more popular now.

They've learned from the last lockout. Will they let dead air be on the airwaves again?

Considering there is the KHL now, compared to last time when it was just the RSL

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:20 PM
  #5
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
the media is always saying hockey is more popular now.

They've learned from the last lockout. Will they let dead air be on the airwaves again?

Considering there is the KHL now, compared to last time when it was just the RSL
I doubt they will negotiate for the rights to European or Russian hockey, they might show AHL games the Canadian teams' affiliates are involved in.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:47 PM
  #6
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas
 
Nalens Oga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,372
vCash: 1963
I remeber watching some games for European leagues (mainly SEL) on Sportsnet during the last lockout, it was awesome. Sportsnet also shows Spengler cup games so I do expect and hope for them to show some intl hockey.

To be honest, Canadian hardcore hockey fans aren't as big as NHL fans and even NHL fans only tend to watch their teams in regular season (Leafs fans and Canucks fans are notorious for this I'd say). So I don't think the ratings would even be close if they showed a couple of European clubs stacked with NHLers.

Unlike the last lockout, this time we have good streaming internet which works so watching European leagues won't be a big issue, in English however it is an issue unless someone picks up rights.

I'd be more interested to know what the American networks would do (mainly just NBC Sports I guess).

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:40 PM
  #7
Pilky01
Registered User
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,792
vCash: 500
I would love to see the CHL get more national tv attention, but I know that isn't very likely.

They could do more to try and attract some though. Outside of the Memorial Cup, they should introduce an FA Cup style, CHL wide single game elimination tournament. It wouldn't add very many games, and if done in conjunction with one of the big broadcasters, might help to create some national buzz for the CHL beyond the memorial cup.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:50 PM
  #8
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
go_leafs_go02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,290
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
I would love to see the CHL get more national tv attention, but I know that isn't very likely.

They could do more to try and attract some though. Outside of the Memorial Cup, they should introduce an FA Cup style, CHL wide single game elimination tournament. It wouldn't add very many games, and if done in conjunction with one of the big broadcasters, might help to create some national buzz for the CHL beyond the memorial cup.
The last lockout's memorial cup buzz was the biggest ever.

2005 in London, Ontario. All-time longest unbeaten streak in the CHL set by the Host Team London, plus Sidney Crosby was with one of the all-time best QMJHL teams of all time, that actually beat London's all-time longest unbeaten streak later on in the season (went through part of the playoffs)

Plus the Knights won, and being a proud former-resident of London, Ontario - it was pretty cool to go through.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:37 PM
  #9
Horse
Go Canucks!
 
Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cariboo, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
I would love to see my Vancouver Giants on TV more. The CHL is great.

I doubt I`d watch the KHL, etc to be honest. I`ve got better things to do than trying to get into new teams

Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:00 PM
  #10
chasespace
Registered User
 
chasespace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 9,108
vCash: 500
What about Major Junior games?

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:03 PM
  #11
King Woodballs
Registered User
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 34,163
vCash: 375
Didnt tan show poker nearly 24 hours a day during the last lock out?

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:45 AM
  #12
Ziostilon
Registered User
 
Ziostilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 500
Sportsnet does have the rights to major junior games

Personally, it's a skill level thing. I would much rather watch Euro hockey than CHL kids hockey. Even though i may have more of a connection to a CHL team, than AK Bars in Russia

I presume Canadian Broadcasters can't just leave it with Russian play by play. Which makes this more difficult and trying, because they would actually need people to dub over it.

Poker and re-runs or even "best of" top ten shows is a big no-no.
I pay my cable fees, i get my sports package, and i expect better

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:12 AM
  #13
Mr. Fancy Pants
Registered User
 
Mr. Fancy Pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Gifu
Country: Japan
Posts: 367
vCash: 500
For the last lockout, HNIC was replaced by Movie Night in Canada hosted by Ron MacLean. I think CBC might have shown a classic game after the late news as well but I can't recall now.

Mr. Fancy Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:54 AM
  #14
RA9
Registered User
 
RA9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
In Canada, your local Rogers Sportsnet is usually showing rookie camp games in early-mid September.
Mid-Late September, you've got TSN, HNIC, Sportsnet are showing pre-season games

Let's toss out Rookie camp games completely.

the AHL season doesn't start until mid-October, from what i can tell based on previous seasons.

What do you think these Canadian TV Broadcasters show during the most probable lockout?
Hockey is as popular as ever in Canada.

I personally hope they have already negotiated for the rights of KHL, Elitserien, NLA, SM-liiga games. Their games take place on average @ like 11am Eastern time zone.

Just tape delay the games, and dub the english commentary, air them at prime time in Canada.

Sportsnet can pickup the AHL club affiliate games, so for example Sportsnet Pacific can air all the Chicago Wolves games.

I cannot for the sake of me believe that TSN, HNIC will have basically dead air starting late September. At least Sportsnet will still have the World Series. NBA season starts after the NHL begins usually.
Much easier said than done.

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:23 AM
  #15
Pilky01
Registered User
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
There was dead air during the last lockout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Didnt tan show poker nearly 24 hours a day during the last lock out?
Like he said; dead air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants View Post
For the last lockout, HNIC was replaced by Movie Night in Canada hosted by Ron MacLean. I think CBC might have shown a classic game after the late news as well but I can't recall now.
CBC should start showing concerts instead of movies to replace HNIC. You can only watch Happy Gilmore so many times.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 07:44 PM
  #16
Ziostilon
Registered User
 
Ziostilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 500
Tsn is showing the 1987 Canada cup final on the 11th

Maybe it's a sign of things to come depending on how the ratings turn out

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 07:10 PM
  #17
leafsfuture
Registered User
 
leafsfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
I would love to see the CHL get more national tv attention, but I know that isn't very likely.

They could do more to try and attract some though. Outside of the Memorial Cup, they should introduce an FA Cup style, CHL wide single game elimination tournament. It wouldn't add very many games, and if done in conjunction with one of the big broadcasters, might help to create some national buzz for the CHL beyond the memorial cup.
That would be unreal.

It would be a 64 team draw, with the four memorial cup participants getting a first round bye.
Do a tennis sort of thing seeding the top 16 teams based on their standing last year in their leagues then do a sudden death tourney.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 08:10 PM
  #18
Yukon Joe
Registered User
 
Yukon Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Posts: 2,205
vCash: 500
For me... I'm not so much a hockey fan. Or even an NHL fan.

I'm a Winnipeg Jets fan.

They could show whatever KHL, CHL, classics, or whatever. I'm not watching. I may not be in the majority of HFboards, but I think most people who watch NHL games feel something like me. There is no substitute to watching their favourite team play.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 08:25 PM
  #19
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
CBC should start showing concerts instead of movies to replace HNIC. You can only watch Happy Gilmore so many times.

Hmm yeah CBC does seem to have a lock on that one while TSN shows Caddyshack when they've got nothing else.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.