HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Keeper League Help: Pick 4

Old
08-29-2012, 01:35 PM
TootooTrain
-

vCash: 500
Keeper League Help: Pick 4

Off. Stats: G | A | +/- | PIM | FOW | ATOI | SOG | HIT | BLK | PPP | SHP

G Stats: W | L | SO | GAA | GW%

Need to select 3 of the following players:
Jonathan Quick
John Tavares
MA Fleury
Ilya Kovalchuk
David Backes (stat stuffer)
James Neal

Followed by 1 of: (4th keeper must be born after '86)
Jordan Eberle
John Tavares

Any advice/thoughts appreciated. Cheers!

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:52 PM
TootooTrain
-

FYI, this is a 14 team H2H league.

What I'm trying to decide is whether or not I want to lock up my goaltending stats by selecting both Quick and MAF as keepers. Or select Quick, then pickup a middle tier goalie in the draft so I can fill up my offensive cats with another keeper.

Old
08-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Jtabo

I would be leary of MAF just cause vokoun will take alot of games, especially if MAF struggles.

Tavares and Quick are locks. Personally, I
d take Neal and Kovalchuk as #3 and 4.

Jtabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:15 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtabo View Post
I would be leary of MAF just cause vokoun will take alot of games, especially if MAF struggles.

Tavares and Quick are locks. Personally, I
d take Neal and Kovalchuk as #3 and 4.
Yea I pretty much had Tavares and Quick set in stone. Other than Wins, MAF doesn't really 'wow' me enough to validate him as a keeper.

Not too sure how I feel about Neal. Backes might not score as many goals but he fills alot more categories.

Quick
Tavares

I've got the final 2 spots down to: Backes, Kovy, Eberle and Neal.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Jtabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Yea I pretty much had Tavares and Quick set in stone. Other than Wins, MAF doesn't really 'wow' me enough to validate him as a keeper.

Not too sure how I feel about Neal. Backes might not score as many goals but he fills alot more categories.

Quick
Tavares

I've got the final 2 spots down to: Backes, Kovy, Eberle and Neal.
Neal may not fill hits pims and block shots, but he will have much better +/- way more shots, way more points, and way more ppp. Neal will improve on his numbers from last year IMO, and may top 90 points.

Jtabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 03:02 PM
canucksPK

Tavares
Eberle
Quick
Backes

canucksPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 04:24 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

1. Tavares
2. Quick
3. Kovalchuk
4. Eberle

I also have Neal ahead of Backes if that means anything to you. Backes does a lot of great things and is a multi-cat stud, but I'd rather get the guys that put up more points, and use your later picks to fill in the other categories. Also of note is that Backes will probably be the easiest of your players to re-draft.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 17 23 View Post
1. Tavares
2. Quick
3. Kovalchuk
4. Eberle

I also have Neal ahead of Backes if that means anything to you. Backes does a lot of great things and is a multi-cat stud, but I'd rather get the guys that put up more points, and use your later picks to fill in the other categories. Also of note is that Backes will probably be the easiest of your players to re-draft.
You're probably right.

The thing with Kovalchuk is that there's this doubt in my mind that he cant top 80pts again, while playing as many minutes as he did last year. The SHP were a big bonus, but scares me at the same time thinking that he mind take a puck in the wrong place.

Neal might be the safer bet in that regard, since he has a stable of elite centerman to work off of. 81 pts is a big jump from his career norms though and that also puts doubt in my mind.

Despite all those 'ifs' and 'buts', I think I've narrowed it down to those two though for the final spot. Any thoughts?

Last edited by TootooTrain: 08-29-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old
08-30-2012, 04:07 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

I have no doubt that Kovalchuk and Neal can put up at least 70 points under a full season. I have little doubts about 80, but I think it's more than reasonable for Kovalchuk, and Neal given his surroundings. When it comes to these two I have no real concerns about them, Kovalchuk has proven time and again how good he is, and after last year I think he can continue adding gravy SHP.

Kovalchuk should be 30+ goals, 80+ points, 300+ shots, a couple SHP, gets huge ice time, and can probably get a few shot blocks more than the average all star player. Neal should be pretty similar in goals, points, and shots.

Backes is probably a 60 point guy, with less superstar appeal than Kovalchuk and likely Neal to, so will be easier to attain through re-draft.

Old
08-30-2012, 08:32 AM
YoSoGordo

Quick and eberle

YoSoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:21 PM
EvoLu7ioN

Stay AWAY from Kovalchuk in a multi year league. He is an elite offensive player due to his explosive nature, and that's going to start regressing with his milage and age (will turn 30).

Fleury will rebound, I'm sure of it. And he's playing in a stacked Pittsburgh system, so depending on how many GMs are in your legue, it could be a big mistake to let him go.

More than 12 GMs:
Quick
Fleury
Neal
Tavares

Less than 12 GMs:
Quick
Eberle
Neal
Tavares

*EDIT. Read your second post, this is a 14 team league. Keep two goalies man, trust me. You have 2 top 10 guys, secure your goaltending position, and then you can hopefully snag an elite offensive guy with your first round pick.

Last edited by EvoLu7ioN: 08-30-2012 at 04:29 PM.
EvoLu7ioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:34 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

I wouldn't worry about Kovalchuk's age as the keeper group you have is very solid, and with good drafting would allow you to be a contender, and with keeping four players every year I'm assuming, it'll be easy to replace Kovalchuk as a keeper when he does decline. However the poster above makes a great point about Fleury and goalies, but picking Fleury as a keeper to me depends on what your knowledge of your league is like, and which goalies and how many would become available for re-draft.

Again I still think your best bet is to keep Quick, Tavares, Eberle, and Kovalchuk, as your keepers.