HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v21: Kyle Lowry for Prime Minister

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Kamal007
God Level

vCash: 50
Just tuned in for the start of the half. Val seems to be calling for it an awful lot, this always happen? I don't mind it, just weird, keeps doing it every time up the floor

Old
10-12-2012, 08:22 PM
thatshype

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Just tuned in for the start of the half. Val seems to be calling for it an awful lot, this always happen? I don't mind it, just weird, keeps doing it every time up the floor
He didn't call for it all in the first game against the pistons.

Val was put in the starting rotation, and he has played alot of minutes in this game. In the pre-game show they said that Dwayne Casey gave Valenciunas the green light....a "show me what you can do" night for Val. He's risen to the task sufficiently.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:23 PM
thatshype

What a hook by val.

Val is impressing on a similar level to Andre Drummond in the first game. Their skillset is a bit different, but I think their impact in the NBA this season will be very very similar.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
I love his hard pick and rolls, If they got him the ball more he would have had a monster night offensively. It will be interesting to see what the offence is like when Lowry is healthy as he has much better court vision then Lucas who many like but I hate the guys game. He's a gimme the ball and I will run around the floor till I find a shot for myself or pass it off and hope my team can make the shot as the shot clock expires.

But all in all I am extremely happy with Val, not so much the overall raptors game but it's pre-season.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:21 AM
weems

This team badly needs a athletic SF who can play defense and score some.

I wonder if theres a team out there that wants to unload a undesirable contract (2-3 years left) and we give them Calderon and Ed Davis.

Get a quality proven SF and this team prolly makes the playoffs.

Old
10-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post

I wonder if theres a team out there that wants to unload a undesirable contract (2-3 years left) and we give them Calderon and Ed Davis.

So basically, this team needs Wilson Chandler.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
I find Kleiza is too slow for the 3. Any decently athletic wing is going to rip the Raptors up this year..

10-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor

Quote:

Hedo Turkoglu?

Old
10-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Joey24

Quote:

Giving up Ed Davis imo would be a mistake at this stage. The guy is giving signs he's ready to break out and if he does it would be a huge mistake for the Raptors imo. Play either Fields of DD at sf and stick with what you have atm. Probably won't get much for Jose atm so whats the point. Anderson is able to provide decent minutes off the bench and is a good defender plus has a little offense. The best thing the raptors can do right now is live and die by their depth and hope that that makes up for the short comings when breaking down by position.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:45 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
Giving up Ed Davis imo would be a mistake at this stage. The guy is giving signs he's ready to break out and if he does it would be a huge mistake for the Raptors imo. Play either Fields of DD at sf and stick with what you have atm. Probably won't get much for Jose atm so whats the point. Anderson is able to provide decent minutes off the bench and is a good defender plus has a little offense. The best thing the raptors can do right now is live and die by their depth and hope that that makes up for the short comings when breaking down by position.
Heres the problem.

Wheres Ed Davis going to get minutes going forward? I'd be SHOCKED if Bargnani was traded, so hes your PF, and then you have Val as the teams C going forward. That leaves really no space for Davis besides being a backup PF and those types are so easy to find, heck we have a quality backup PF already in Amir Johnson. Unless Bargnani is traded I see no place on this team for Davis going forward and if we can get back a good player in trade for him that fills a hole giddy up.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
If only Paul George slid to us.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:41 PM
thatshype

Between Ross @SG, Fields @SF/SG, Derozan @SG/SF, and Kleiza @SF, I don't necesarrily think that SF is a glaring hole for the Raps. It's definitely the weakest starting position, but it's not a blackhole. Dwayne Casey did an interview for NBATV recently where he admits we lack a big SF, but also talks about the overall depth of the team. It's obvious that he's talking about the addition of Ross meaning we can give Fields and Derozan more minutes at SF (Fields moreso than Demar). Linus Kleiza may be the only "SF" we have on the roster, but we have at least two quality players at the SG/SF rotation.

By my analysis, there's really not many true SF's in the league to start with, and even fewer that may be available. Besides, Iguodala is a free agent coming up.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:51 PM
thatshype

What team(s) would really be in the mix for Calderon right now? Dallas?

Old
10-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Prophet Kadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
What team(s) would really be in the mix for Calderon right now? Dallas?
No team. We are stuck with him. We should have amnestied him. I don't think he will provide any value to us.

On a side note its now 100% obvious that Ross was drafted to play with Nash. Their games would be perfect together. It was a nice idea but BC dug himself into a stupid hole with Fields on top of Ross.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
No team. We are stuck with him. We should have amnestied him. I don't think he will provide any value to us.

On a side note its now 100% obvious that Ross was drafted to play with Nash. Their games would be perfect together. It was a nice idea but BC dug himself into a stupid hole with Fields on top of Ross.
1 year left would be a waste of an amnesty. Kleiza would also be a waste considering he would get $3-4M on the open market, just barely less than what we are paying him.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Joey24

Quote:
Heres the problem.

Wheres Ed Davis going to get minutes going forward? I'd be SHOCKED if Bargnani was traded, so hes your PF, and then you have Val as the teams C going forward. That leaves really no space for Davis besides being a backup PF and those types are so easy to find, heck we have a quality backup PF already in Amir Johnson. Unless Bargnani is traded I see no place on this team for Davis going forward and if we can get back a good player in trade for him that fills a hole giddy up.
He'll get his minutes if he plays well so I wouldn't worry about that. And I doubt you would get anything substantial for a Davis/ Calderon package. Guys like Luol Deng, Gerald Wallace, Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, Danilo Gallinari, etc, etc would cost us more then Jose and Davis atm. But if Davis turns it around and has a break out season then the raptors have a few different options to look at.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:05 PM
thatshype

Quote:
I don't really agree, necessarily. Ross is a catch-and-shoot perimeter scorer there is no doubt about that, but I don't think drafting him was just a play for Nash. To me, Ross was drafted because we had no need for a big-man or a PG, and Ross has the exact opposite offensive skill-set as Derozan. Ross and Derozan can play on the same team depending on what the opposition looks like.

As for Fields, I have no problem with him if he is rolled into the lineup as a SF, which I think has been done a lot in the preseason so far.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:11 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
He'll get his minutes if he plays well so I wouldn't worry about that. And I doubt you would get anything substantial for a Davis/ Calderon package. Guys like Luol Deng, Gerald Wallace, Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, Danilo Gallinari, etc, etc would cost us more then Jose and Davis atm. But if Davis turns it around and has a break out season then the raptors have a few different options to look at.
Yea, agreed. Beyond around 10 guys are so, they aren't many SF's in the league that aren't "tweener" types that a definite upgrade over Fields/Derozan/Kleiza. And the players that ARE clear improvements will cost more than we would be willing to give up.

I'm not the biggest Davis fan in the world, but he's looked decent in limited minutes in preseason so far.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Prophet Kadri

Quote:
I don't really agree, necessarily. Ross is a catch-and-shoot perimeter scorer there is no doubt about that, but I don't think drafting him was just a play for Nash. To me, Ross was drafted because we had no need for a big-man or a PG, and Ross has the exact opposite offensive skill-set as Derozan. Ross and Derozan can play on the same team depending on what the opposition looks like.

As for Fields, I have no problem with him if he is rolled into the lineup as a SF, which I think has been done a lot in the preseason so far.
Lamb is playing very well so far. Pre-season but he's looking better than Ross. Main difference is that Ross is all catch and shoot, spot up shooting that would work well with a point guard like Nash.

Lamb is a step below Ross in the catch and shoot department but Lamb can create his own shot way easier if he has the Ball in his hands. BC probably thought he was playing dominoes by adding Fields and Ross and the Lakers were not in the equation.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:

Why "stuck"? Lowry and Calderon are as good a PG combo as it gets i the NBA, no? Caldy is the perfect backup PG.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:57 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Lamb is playing very well so far. Pre-season but he's looking better than Ross. Main difference is that Ross is all catch and shoot, spot up shooting that would work well with a point guard like Nash.

Lamb is a step below Ross in the catch and shoot department but Lamb can create his own shot way easier if he has the Ball in his hands. BC probably thought he was playing dominoes by adding Fields and Ross and the Lakers were not in the equation.
You are making General Manager into a game of checkers as opposed to a game of chess. Not trying to be condescending, intentionally. Just an analogy: In chess you can make a play that doesn't necessarily put the opponent in Check, but puts opposition into defensive posture. I believe that is what the Raptors did by drafting Ross....we didn't put the opposition in check by getting Anthony Davis or Gilchrist, but we advanced a Rook (pun intended).

Old
10-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Prophet Kadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Why "stuck"? Lowry and Calderon are as good a PG combo as it gets i the NBA, no? Caldy is the perfect backup PG.
First of all I'm sick of Calderon. If he's gonna be a backup move him elsewhere, he has more value to a team that is competing. We need to give Lowry the keys to the point guard position, Calderon should not be on the team.

Lucas can do just as good a job and he fits our team better. He's more fastbreak oriented, he can drive, he can defend better.

Quote:
You are making General Manager into a game of checkers as opposed to a game of chess. Not trying to be condescending, intentionally. Just an analogy: In chess you can make a play that doesn't necessarily put the opponent in Check, but puts opposition into defensive posture. I believe that is what the Raptors did by drafting Ross....we didn't put the opposition in check by getting Anthony Davis or Gilchrist, but we advanced a Rook (pun intended).
What I'm saying is he shouldn't have advanced a rook in a less than guaranteed situation. BC shouldn't have gotten Ross, Fields if Nash wasn't coming. Lamb fits our team better than Ross. Fields should be on a much smaller contract.

He took on too much risk for a shot at Nash. He did this with Bosh as well just assuming he was gonna stay, BC is terrible at risk management.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:06 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Lowry will have the keys to the offence this season. There's no doubting that he will be the starter. And the only reason Lucas is considered a PG is because he's like 5'9. He's basically a SG in a PG body. He cannot and should not be a full time backup at the 1

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
10-16-2012, 02:04 AM
Eytinge

Quote:

Drummond has been beasting so far as well.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Lowry will have the keys to the offence this season. There's no doubting that he will be the starter. And the only reason Lucas is considered a PG is because he's like 5'9. He's basically a SG in a PG body. He cannot and should not be a full time backup at the 1
God I get so frustrated watching Lucas play. He's a chucker, gets the ball runs down the floor throws up a shot, runs down the floor throws up a shot,runs down the floor runs the shot clock down trying to find a shot for himself and when he doesn't have any good shooting options he decides to reluctantly make the pass . I can't stand his game, and when he's running the point there is absolutely no flow to the offense.

But what ever he's a 3rd option at the point, and I hope that's all he's ever considered though I get a feeling that BC has brought him in to be the backup when he finds a taker for Jose.

Can't wait to see Lowry get his shot to run the show, I think Val is gonna benefit huge having a point who knows and likes to use the pick and roll. Should be exciting.

Closed Thread