HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v21: Kyle Lowry for Prime Minister

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Joey24

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
First of all I'm sick of Calderon. If he's gonna be a backup move him elsewhere, he has more value to a team that is competing. We need to give Lowry the keys to the point guard position, Calderon should not be on the team.

Lucas can do just as good a job and he fits our team better. He's more fastbreak oriented, he can drive, he can defend better.
First off Lowry will be the man on the point for the Raptors regardless if Jose is here or not. Secondly Jose is much more valuable to Toronto as a backup point guard then he is to us on the trade market, I don't know what it is you would expect to get for him? and 3rd I would take Calderone on my team any day of the week over Lucas. (but I guess he's the flavor of the week)

Quote:
What I'm saying is he shouldn't have advanced a rook in a less than guaranteed situation. BC shouldn't have gotten Ross, Fields if Nash wasn't coming. Lamb fits our team better than Ross. Fields should be on a much smaller contract.

He took on too much risk for a shot at Nash. He did this with Bosh as well just assuming he was gonna stay, BC is terrible at risk management.
Fields is young and if used right can get his share of points. Fields is also a good defender regardless of his contract he's going to help the team. I already had the argument that I think Ross is and will be more then a catch and shoot player in the NBA, so no need to go over it again. And as for taking Lamb over Ross well at this point people are basing it off about 2-3 pre season games. Ross was not the popular choice and that's probably because where he played in college didn't get as much coverage or press. But he's a good player and I think when at his peak he's gonna be a huge part of the core for the Raptors.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Eytinge

Fields by all metric stats isn't a good defender. He tries but isn't quick enough to keep up with the faster 2s/3s.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Fields by all metric stats isn't a good defender. He tries but isn't quick enough to keep up with the faster 2s/3s.
He's an average to above average defender. He's also a good rebounder for his position something the Raptors can use. His contract is bad but what can u do, BC made a pitch to get Nash it failed and he stuck to the contract he offered in stead of pulling out. I am not by any means saying Fields is an all star type player but I think for the time being he can give the Raptors a serviceable sg/sf type player who can chip in at both ends of the court. I don't get why people feel the need to constantly try and bring this guy down, he's a player that's going to help Toronto, he's just overpaid.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Eytinge

I just remember watching Knicks/Miami and how bad he looked, bricking open shots and getting booed by his own crowd.

I was also a big JJ fan and that signing pushed James out the door, who I vastly prefer. (Especially with that contract)

Old
10-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Joey24

Quote:
I just remember watching Knicks/Miami and how bad he looked, bricking open shots and getting booed by his own crowd.

I was also a big JJ fan and that signing pushed James out the door, who I vastly prefer. (Especially with that contract)
Well to each their own, one game or a sample size of games does not make him bad. but your entitled to your opinion.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:17 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:

What pushed Johnson out the door was that he wasn't getting along with Coach Casey and wouldn't buy into the role that the coaching staff wanted him to play.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
10-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...l_With_Celtics

Barbosa signs 1 year deal with the Celtics.

10-17-2012, 04:34 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
What pushed Johnson out the door was that he wasn't getting along with Coach Casey and wouldn't buy into the role that the coaching staff wanted him to play.
This. If I remember correctly, J. Johnson asked to be traded before the Fields contract was even offered. It was clear that only of one of Johnson or Casey would be here this season.

Lowry is playing tonight, right? Just caught the end of his interview on OTR and it sounded like he's suiting up.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Swervin81
Mo Riles Mo Problems

What does everyone think about the NBA's flopping fines? IMO, they should just be like the NHL and give out on-court personal fouls to floppers. What if the player was fouled but still flopped? Easy, just give both guys personals, just like you would with diving penalties.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:07 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
This. If I remember correctly, J. Johnson asked to be traded before the Fields contract was even offered. It was clear that only of one of Johnson or Casey would be here this season.

Lowry is playing tonight, right? Just caught the end of his interview on OTR and it sounded like he's suiting up.
Everything I've heard says he will play tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
What does everyone think about the NBA's flopping fines? IMO, they should just be like the NHL and give out on-court personal fouls to floppers. What if the player was fouled but still flopped? Easy, just give both guys personals, just like you would with diving penalties.
It's a start. I think there should be some in-game penalty for flopping, but I think that handing out two fouls to the flopper and the other guy is the same as how the NHL gives out penalties to the diver and the guy he took the dive against: By my definition if a player dives, then what the other guy did wasn't sufficient to take him down on it's own. And if the other guy did break the rules legitimately (with a trip or a slash or whatever) then it wasn't a total sell job by the supposed diver. I don't see much area for the two penalties for flopping and a foul to coexist.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Joey24

what time does the game start? should be good to get our first real look at Lowry in a Raptor uniform. Though coming off an injury and it being preseason I don't think he will play a lot of minutes. just enough to get his feet wet and give the fans a small sample, still should be fun to watch.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Suntouchable13

Is the game in Montreal or in Toronto?

Old
10-17-2012, 06:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

**** yeah, Valanciunas! Nice fakes and a good aggressive finish.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:21 PM
TheOtherSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
**** yeah, Valanciunas! Nice fakes and a good aggressive finish.
That was a thing of beauty!

Old
10-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Joey24

never realized Johnson had that good a outside jumper?

Old
10-17-2012, 07:09 PM
thatshype

Overall it's been a pretty inconsistent game for the Raps, but otherwise not a bad performance. Lowry and Fields look like they might work pretty well together once they get used to each other. And Derozan continues to have a solid preseason.

Also, it's remarkable how different of a player Lowry is compared to Calderon. It's like comparing a Running Back to a Kicker in terms of physicality.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Prophet Kadri

Alan Anderson is looking like a better player than Fields. Kleiza looks pretty bad as well.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Joey24

what a poor shot selecting by bargs. Lowry is trying to feed the ball inside but the whole team is standing around the ****ing 3...

Old
10-17-2012, 08:17 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Alan Anderson is looking like a better player than Fields. Kleiza looks pretty bad as well.
Honestly? Not sure how you are saying that in regards to Fields. With the exception of 1 poor 3-pt attempt and one bad turnover under the hoop, I'd say he's had a very serviceable night. Alan Anderson has barely been present.

Kleiza hasn't contributed anything, I will give you that.

Edit: Fields: 13 pts, 3 reb, 2A ..... not ground-breaking but a quality night for sure.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Prophet Kadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Honestly? Not sure how you are saying that in regards to Fields. With the exception of 1 poor 3-pt attempt and one bad turnover under the hoop, I'd say he's had a very serviceable night. Alan Anderson has barely been present.

Kleiza hasn't contributed anything, I will give you that.

Edit: Fields: 13 pts, 3 reb, 2A ..... not ground-breaking but a quality night for sure.
Those 13 points surprise me, big thing is though he looks like the same player as last year. Missing FTs and spot up jumpers. I have very little confidence in him.

On a positive note Jonas looked really good on the offense today. He needs to improve his post play but otherwise he can be a big scorer this year I think. Demar palyed well, Lowry showed he was our best player. Calderon played well.

On the negative side Bargs seems to have injured himself again. Kleiza is hot garbage.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Eytinge

What happened to Bargs.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:07 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I still think that poor FT shooting is the most inexcusable flaw any player can have. Free throws are far and away the easiest thing you can work on, especially because they're the one thing where your practice form/habits can exactly mirror the game situation.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Prophet Kadri

Quote:
What happened to Bargs.
Bruised calf, someone kicked him. Not related to previous injuries according to Casey.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:30 AM
thatshype

Quote:
Those 13 points surprise me, big thing is though he looks like the same player as last year. Missing FTs and spot up jumpers. I have very little confidence in him.
Final boxscore had him at 15 points, even. He shot 77% from the FT line in his first 82 games before taking a nasty nosedive last year (to 56%). Admittedly 77% isn't too impressive either, but it at least shows that he is capable of making his FT's.

It's very early obviously, but I do think that he can gel with Lowry. Besides, he's a much much better option at SF than Kleiza.

Quote:
Bruised calf, someone kicked him. Not related to previous injuries according to Casey.
I think he said it's the same calf, so they are being extra cautious. Not the same injury exactly, but same leg.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:31 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
What's up with the Raptors and their big men hurting their calves? Bargnani last year and now him and Jonas have both hurt theirs already this year..