Goalposts on the end line 47 68.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-27-2012, 10:53 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 500
CFL VS NFL Major Rule Differences

There has been a lot of talk about this lately so I figured I would make a poll for major rule differences. Note that these are not the only differences, but the ones I feel are significant enough for the poll.

Please pick one option per pair.

I may have missed some major ones, and intentionally included minor ones but feel free to discuss them even if not in the poll.

Last edited by saskriders: 11-27-2012 at 11:00 PM.
saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:15 PM
The Last Baron*

Everything NFL.

CFL is just way too gimmicky.

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:27 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post
Everything NFL.

CFL is just way too gimmicky.
What is gimmicky about it?

Define gimmicky and describe what makes the CFL rules that way.

I voted for CFL rules because I think they clearly make the game more enjoyable, with the exception of the extra man which doesn't make much of a difference on the bigger field

Old
11-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Kyle McMahon

Certain rules tie into each other. For example, if you're on the longer CFL field, you want goalposts on the endzone line. Shorter NFL field, keep them on the touch line.

I think most people are either going to choose all CFL or all NFL depending on what brand they prefer. It's tough to envision a hybrid form. Could you have 4-down football on a CFL size field? There would never be a punt. A 20-second playclock under NFL timing rules? Games would never end.

I definitely like the single point (rouge) in the CFL. Changes scoring completely. In the NFL you have a lot of repeat scores due to TD's and FG's being the only normal way of scoring.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Prefer the bigger field all around, as such I like the extra player as well.

I said yes to no yards but with a stipulation. It only counts on a straight catch. If the ball hits the ground it is fair game, the opposing team can freeze it like the NFL rule. This prevents the lame practice of trying to goad a 5 yard penalty when the ball hits the deck. A team shouldn't be rewarded for not being able to catch the ball, but it still protects the returner.

I'm split on the rouge, I'd prefer it to only be a point if the team concedes it. So a missed field goal or punt through the endzone doesn't cut it, it needs to be a returnable ball that can't be brought out of the endzone.

I said 3 downs because I prefer that flow but it requires the full yard at the line to actually allow for the running game.

1 timeout because I hate those stoppages.

And while I said the 20 second clock because it is "less" I keep forgetting that it isn't a 20 second break compared to the 40 seconds in the NFL. I do like the idea of the clock starting as soon as the play stops, rather than when the ball is set (or whatever the hell the CFL rule is). So I'll go with whatever is faster. The 20 second clock with NFL rules would be ideal but probably not liked by anybody else.

Goalposts on the goal line because it's what I know from CFL and rugby. I think it's the goal line for a reason, should be where the goal posts are I guess.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Pyro Kinesis
Cleveland for LIFE!

When I learned about the 3 downs a couple days ago, I thought that was the stupidest thing ever. Two bloody chances to get a 1st down? LOL.

Pyro Kinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:06 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro Kinesis View Post
When I learned about the 3 downs a couple days ago, I thought that was the stupidest thing ever. Two bloody chances to get a 1st down? LOL.
A lot more room though, and the focus is on medium-long passes as opposed to runs and short passes, which makes it more exciting in my opinion

Old
11-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Pyro Kinesis
Cleveland for LIFE!

Running is what football is all about though.

Pyro Kinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:14 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Says who?

Unless it is a big run passing and kicking are more exciting

Old
11-28-2012, 01:47 AM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
What is gimmicky about it?

Define gimmicky and describe what makes the CFL rules that way.

I voted for CFL rules because I think they clearly make the game more enjoyable, with the exception of the extra man which doesn't make much of a difference on the bigger field
Rogues are ridiculous. The fact that a team can win by one point after missing a field goal is gimmicky.

The running pre-snap by receivers, extra 10 yards, 3 downs, and goal posts at the goal line are also absurd.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:49 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

No more coin toss for the ball, fight for the ball XFL style.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Says who?
It's literally the foundation of the sport. It's a mutated form of rugby. The forward pass wasn't a thing at any level until 1906 and wasn't legal in the NFL until 1933. It became legal in Canada in 1929...when the Argonauts were already more than 50 years old.

Regardless...American voting strict American rules.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:25 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Rogues are ridiculous. The fact that a team can win by one point after missing a field goal is gimmicky.

The running pre-snap by receivers, extra 10 yards, 3 downs, and goal posts at the goal line are also absurd.
The fact that a team can get field position for a long kick is also ridiculous, if teams aren't going to try and field a kick then they deserve to give up a point. I wouldn't mind seeing the kickoff rules applied to field goals (if the ball goes through the endzone without being touched it is no rogue, but if the ball is touched and goes through or the return team fails to get the ball out of the endzone then a rogue is scored. Regardless I don't think the missed field goal single holds the game back much considering most missed field goals are from a long distance and teams try to return those. The rules on punts are fine though and don't need any changing.

I'll give you credit for trying to describe what is "gimmicky" about one rule, but now you are talking about more rules and calling them "absurd" you have to at least say what makes them absurd.

What is so absurd about the unlimited motion in the backfield? If anything it is good because then receivers are at full speed right away. Because of this defenses have to be on their toes otherwise they will pay for their mistakes. If anything limited motion is a gimmick. What would be the point of adding that rule? What does it add to the game? It seems to be there just to make the game more complex.

110 yard field and 20 yard endzones, what makes that absurd, it is a field dimension. I imagine they chose it because 150 is just a number that doesn't seem random to people. If any dimension is "absurd" it is the 53 1/3 yard width of the NFL field. Although I know the NFL field is smaller because after Harvard learned the game from Canadians (Canadian football is older than American if you didn't know) they had to play on a smaller field because they didn't have a full sized Rugby pitch.

The goal posts are on the goal line because that's where they are on Rugby pitches. The game was developed from Rugby so naturally initially took place on Rugby pitches, and there was no reason to change it. Regardless I think it is better on the goal line than the end line. Teams don't need to move the ball as far to try for a field goal, which I find, and I think most would agree, is a more exciting play than a punt. Not to mention it is more likely that a team that is down by 3 or less with the ball and less then 5 seconds left will be in field goal range, who doesn't like the last second field goal attempt? And with the goal posts on the goal line a missed field goal is much more likely to go past the endzone, and therefore be returned, which is more exciting then a missed field goal just going over the back line and the play ending (which almost always happens when the goalposts are on the back line).

Old
11-28-2012, 02:29 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
It's literally the foundation of the sport. It's a mutated form of rugby. The forward pass wasn't a thing at any level until 1906 and wasn't legal in the NFL until 1933. It became legal in Canada in 1929...when the Argonauts were already more than 50 years old.

Regardless...American voting strict American rules.
Kicking is a lot bigger part of the original game to.

The forward pass used to be illegal in the neutral zone in hockey.

All sports evolve a lot over their first 25-50, why should we talk about it, or watch it with what the game was like 80 years ago in mind?

Old
11-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Sports evolve, but running the ball is a huge essence of what football is.

Mind you I'm a Steelers fan. I'll take Jerome Bettis (hopefully I can say Jonathan Dwyer here soon) right up the gut for 4 yards every single play over a 4,000 yard passer every day of the week.

As for the goal posts not having a reason to change...safety? They used to be on the goal line in the NFL and college game too, but common sense eventually won that battle.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:01 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Don't get me wrong I don't dislike running, I just would rather see more passing than running because I find it more exciting.

Although I do find the running game more exciting in the CFL, due to there being more room and QBs aren't discouraged from running or leaving the pocket.

Also, I've never seen a player run into a goal post.

Last edited by saskriders: 11-28-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old
11-28-2012, 04:10 AM
tape to tape

The 1 point rouge would have more meaning if the end zones were still 25 yards, as opposed to 20 yards.

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:25 AM
tape to tape

Quote:
Go back far enough and running the ball wasn't even allowed. It was all about kicking. At one time American football was 3 downs on a 110 yard field.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:14 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:

In regards to the Rouge I used to think that too. However the fact that the defending team can run the missed field goal out of the End Zone to negate the single point makes for some very exciting plays.

Why are they absurd? Just because you say so doesn't make it true, provide some reasoning.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 1291
For myself I feel some of the rules promote a higher skill level. The smaller endzone provides more of a challenge for the qb to make a pass and a receiver to make seperation. Also the receiver Having to have two feet in bounds makes for some usually awesome highlight reel clips oozing with skill.

I prefer the 4 downs to the 3 as I get tired of run throw punt and I find that having the forth down allows the qb to play less conservatively and allows for a big gain attempt almost every one of four snaps. I follow both leagues and I can say this season the NFL has been more exciting through the air then the CFL with long throws, clutch passes and amazing catches.

The cfl rule I like is the rogue rule and it would be awesome to see it implemented into the NFL.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:08 AM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
In regards to the Rouge I used to think that too. However the fact that the defending team can run the missed field goal out of the End Zone to negate the single point makes for some very exciting plays.

Why are they absurd? Just because you say so doesn't make it true, provide some reasoning.
Lol so much vitriol in this thread for disliking the CFL.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:33 AM
MJG

So I'm a Canadian and I vastly prefer the American game. When I younger I was more exposed to the CFL, but as I grew up I started to gravitate more toward the NFL and College football. I don't want to rag on the CFL and their fans but American game is a much more entertaining game to watch. I find that many of the CFL rules are in place in order to compensate for a lack of talent. They give the offense so many advantages to increase the scoring. One foot in bounds makes it easier to catch, wider field gives them more room, deeper end zones make scoring easier, unlimited motion creates more separation and the distance on the line of scrimmage makes it easier to create running gaps. The CFL fans always say that it's more exciting and offensive but I always feel that it's forced. The defenses aren't even given a chance. I get much more enjoyment out of watching NFL offenses succeed because it takes more creativity, they need to execute better and there is zero room for error.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Lol so much vitriol in this thread for disliking the CFL.
Why did you quote me? All I asked for was reasoning as to why s/he thinks those rules are absurd.

If I wanted to attack the NFL I'd probably mention something like this:

NFL Games only have 11 Minutes of action per game:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...055561406.html

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:04 AM
tape to tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
I find that many of the CFL rules are in place in order to compensate for a lack of talent.
Most of those rules have been in place for a 80 years or so. The field dimensions are the result of existing dimensions for rugby fields. As for disparity of talent, that is debatable as the two games require different types of players. There is a disparity in salary and some argue that didn't happen until John Candy and Wayne Gretzky gave Rocket Ishmael a big contract, which started a huge increase in NFL contracts.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:39 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
The fact that a team can get field position for a long kick is also ridiculous, if teams aren't going to try and field a kick then they deserve to give up a point.
Strongly disagree. The purpose isn't to just kick it long, it's to pin them deep. Punters in the NFL actually need to aim to try to get it to go out of bounds or get it to roll and pin them near the line. You fail to do that, they get to start at the 20. It's more involved than in Canada where the punters are trying for power and distance and only that.

The 1 Canadian rule I love is that anyone can kick the ball forward and anyone behind them on the kick can recover it. I was some high school play on Deadspin last week where that rule happened and it was incredible.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote